Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 19, 2008

Widely considered a spiritual successor to the studio's Guilty Gear series, BlazBlue is a fighting game with highly-detailed hand-drawn character graphics and a story involving sorcery and science.

is BlazBlue worth taking a look at?

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By beargirl1

now let me just start off and say that i am not a hardcore fighting game fan. i own some fighting games but i don't play them for skill, i play them to have fun. i usually play fighting games with my friend and we just mess around.  BlazBlue has caught my attention with it's style.. and insanity.  

i'm not good at fighting games, but BlazBlue looks like a pretty badass game with the characters..and fucking insane menus aside, it looks like a game that i could get into.   
     now, i've only played one guilty gear game years ago, and it was good. forums, is BlazBlue a game strictly for the extreme hardcore fighting fans.. or could someone who sucks at fighting games but only plays them for fun, get into it?  i'm defiantly interested in it but i just want to know if i would actually have fun.. y'know, playing it.  

thanks 

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I've never played it, I too hate fighting games. I have, however, played Guilty Gear (Same devs) and I can say I really like that.

Avatar image for holdenlafayette
    HoldenLaFayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HoldenLaFayette

If sounds like, if you buy it, you'll lose interest and forget about it in a month. It has high production value but you need to enjoy digging into the mechanics if it's going to keep your interest. It's your typical hardcore fighter--I think it's a bit easier to play than the newest Guilty Gear, but not by much.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @AjayRaz said:

If you wanna try a more accessible fighting game first might I suggest Street Fighter 4? From what I hear BlazBlue is fine but its mad hardcore and unless you have friends playing it you wont play it a lot.
    Galv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Galv

I not a huge fan of fighting games but Blazblue has also caught my interest. I'm waiting for a price drop and then I will probably pick it up.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By beargirl1
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @AjayRaz said:  If you wanna try a more accessible fighting game first might I suggest Street Fighter 4? From what I hear BlazBlue is fine but its mad hardcore and unless you have friends playing it you wont play it a lot. "
    I already have street fighter IV, but street fighter games never really appealed to me 
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shadows_kill

i dont like fighting games that much (but i do buy one every once in a while..) and i think blaz blue is probably  the best one i have played (other than power stone 2) I think it would be a good buy except they just announced Blaz Blue continuum (spelling?) and its supposed to have more characters so it would probably be good to wait for that. 

If you want a fighting game now get it. if you can wait until the 2nd one then wait.

EDIT: looking at the continuum shift page it says "

An updated version of Blazblue: Calamity Trigger with new characters, stages, moves, rebalances, and combat systems."

so idk if its going to be DLC or like a super street fighter 4 thing. 
    hamlaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hamlaser

I enjoy BlazBlue very much. I have slowed down in the last two months since I purchased it but I still pick it up every now and then. Its fast and there are a lot of things flying around the screen at once but I am used to it since I used to play a lot of guilty gear. The sound track is also pretty rad.

samsaturday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By samsaturday

I have BlazBlue. I'm really bad at it. I don't understand the fighting system at all. But for some reason I still like it. It's pretty fun if you just want to mess around and see what crazy things you can make the characters do. Worth a rental.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By beargirl1
    @shadows_kill said:
     I think it would be a good buy except they just announced Blaz Blue continuum (spelling?) and its supposed to have more characters so it would probably be good to wait for that.   If you want a fighting game now get it. if you can wait until the 2nd one then wait. "
    wow, thanks for the heads up bro. i just checked it out and i should wait for that. maybe now i'll def. get the game because of what everyone said (and plus i'll have the money by the time it's out) 
    newmarcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By newmarcom

I don't know how much skill and effort you are going to put into BlazBlue.  But I would say the learning curve is a little more advanced than Street Fighter 4 but less than Marvel vs Capcom 2.

What I found most enjoyable with BlazBlue is learning how to pull off those insane juggles.  Beating down your opponent mercilessly is really satisfying. Although, if you don't learn how to defend against them, it's just going to be really frustrating, especially in online battles.

If you want a fighting game to play for fun and not resort to Smash Bros., I would suggest getting Tekken 6 or Soul Calibur 4.

Legendary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Legendary

Some people say Blazblue is really easy to get into, and some say it's way too insane or difficult. If you don't like Street Fighter IV, but you like Guilty Gear then it's worth it. I have both Street Fighter IV and BlazBlue (got BB recently) and I must say, even if there is only 12 characters it's really balanced. 

You can say SFIV's learning curve is low (relatively because you can't juggle, or chain moves as much as BB), but Blazblue is more flashy with juggles, distortions (supers), and all the characters play differently.

All I can say is, if you're not into fighting games, then don't buy it... maybe rent it and see if it's in your taste.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By beargirl1
    @newmarcom said:
      But I would say the learning curve is a little more advanced than Street Fighter 4 but less than Marvel vs Capcom 2. What I found most enjoyable with BlazBlue is learning how to pull off those insane juggles.  Beating down your opponent mercilessly is really satisfying. 
    MvC2 i got used to pretty quickly, and juggling is something that i love. it seems more like my type of fighting game 
    vosco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vosco
    @AjayRaz: I'm not a hardcore fighting guy myself, but I play them and I own Blazblue.  I love it if you play with with your friends.  But online and the single player might not be for you .  I can appreciate the technical side of the game,  I just do not have the time to dedicate to learning everything about it.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By JJOR64

You can play it casually with your friends and have fun.  If you go online with only some skill, you will get slaughtered online.

Legendary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Legendary

In my opinion, Blazblue's online isn't that difficult, actually it's relatively repetitive. There are a lot of Ragna, Jin, and Nu (Easy and most basic to use with some insane attacks) and they're very predictable, unless they're really high level (50+). However, if the rare high level or even some low level finds such as Litchi, Carl, and some Bang players face you, then yes prepare for some new holes in you.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By beargirl1
    @JJOR64 said:
    " You can play it casually with your friends and have fun.  
    this is really why i wanted to buy the game, for this and for a stylish single player fighting game.  

thanks for all the help everyone, maybe i'll pick this up next year when that updated version comes out
    GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By GunnBjorn

If it's just a look you want, there's enough HD video footage on YouTube to satisfy your appetite. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.