Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 20, 2008

Age of Conan is a massively multiplayer online role playing game set in the Conan lore.

Age of Conan will not beat World Of WarCraft

Falkien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Falkien

WOW will always be number 1 and with new expansion packs it is stronger than before..

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By VACkillers

WoW has a very established player  foundation, AOC hasn't been out all that long even though i do agree with you that it wont be as popular as WoW but it's still pretty early to assume that really, and AOC is for more mature players, where as WoW is made for everyone and their kid to play, so AOC is always a step behind in that respect coz its already alienated a lot of player base. I still have yet to play AOC, just dont have the machine really...

Josef_Nastra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Josef_Nastra

I play Age of Conan and i have tried World of Warcraft some time ago and i must say i prefer AoC. I play it every day. I'm glad AoC isn't made for everybody. Then i probably wouldn't even have played it that much. :P

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By kush

Thanks for stating the obvious.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5  Edited By spiceninja

I don't think so. It's kind of hard to get 11 million subscribers (it's probably way for than that now) to just stop playing and go play another MMO. I think WoW will stay on top for years and years. It will be a very long time before something dethrones it.

Evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Evilross

Besides the obvious content reasons such as the blood, gore, and nudity, another thing that is holding AoC back is the system requirments.
    WoW will run on just about anything. I actually bought AoC, and although my PC does meet the min. sys specs listed on the box, I can't run it at a playable level. Ill just wait untill I build a new PC with next years tax returns. The game will prolly be better by then anyway.

MorkkiTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By MorkkiTH

I agree. Who wants to beat WOW need something big! I don't know what but something. I prefer Conan and not WOW.

sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By sculsoldi3r

It pretty obvious, i dont see any games so far or coming out in the next year or 2 that will even touch WoW. WoW is "mmo" and no game, not even AoC, will ever touch that as we know so far...

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DualReaver

WoW Defeats itself.
    You may be able to beat the game and have all tier 20 armor but you still lose.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Pop

That's true AOC will never beat Wow, it can't be beaten, FOR THE HORDE!!!

sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sculsoldi3r
    Pop said:
    "That's true AOC will never beat Wow, it can't be beaten, FOR THE HORDE!!!
    "
    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Dude

AoC won't but I have a feeling Warhammer is going to give it a run for its money.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gizmo

Well, I hope Huxley is good, if it ever comes out that is...

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By OGCartman

Okay, this is the thing. Im a huge AoC fanboy, HUGE!!!! From beta to early access to collecters edition but im also a huge WoW fan =P. Okay, Age Of Conan and WoW are both MMORPGs. but their MUCH different.

Let me tell you why, no matter how awesome Age of Conan is, it will NEVER be popular as theeeee game, theee MMO WoW:
    - Age of Conan is rated M, meaning much much much much less teenagers, and applies to a much smaller community
    - Age of Conan is more brutal, extremely bloody meaning less people can play it.
    - WoW has very low requirements, letting you play from normal computers and laptops, AoC has steep ones.
    - Well im too lazy to draw up all the reasons but its just no WoW.

I like Age of Conan much more than WoW. Both games are PHENOMINAL! The two greatest PC games imo. You cant put into words how great, big, fun and long lasting these MMOs are.

WoW will always be the most popular MMO, It made the MMO famous. It is THEE mmo, when you think of MMO, you think of this game and no game can claim that or say its more innovative to the MMO Community.
    Age of Conan is brutal, bloody and violent.
    There two extremely different games.

sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sculsoldi3r

In my opinion game rating have very little to do with how many will sell and that sorta thing. Halo 3 was rated M and is the best selling game for xbox 360. With over 8  million sold close to WoW...

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By unclejohnny79

Yeah properly not

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Cube

I like AOC more than WOW, but it's pretty damn obvious that it will never be as big as it. A lot of people (mostly younger-ish teenagers) don't even know what or who Conan is.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OGCartman
    sculsoldi3r said:
    "In my opinion game rating have very little to do with how many will sell and that sorta thing. Halo 3 was rated M and is the best selling game for xbox 360. With over 8  million sold close to WoW..."
    Lmao, if WoW was rated M, much less ppl would be playing. Do you know how old alot of the WoW players are? They know Pikachu, not Conan.
    KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KindGalaxy

Didn't read OP or any replies, just saying... 'DUH' to the title subject.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By SSbabel

No other MMORPG will even come close to WOW.

whyzenheimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By whyzenheimer
    The_Dude said:
    "AoC won't but I have a feeling Warhammer is going to give it a run for its money.
    "
    I love the Warhammer 40k universe and all, but that is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.  WoW is all about ease of play and competition if you want it.  Warhammer, as they've advertised it, is about constant competition.  I don't think the casual players will take to it the same, and just like with Lord of the Rings Online and Age of Conan, many will leave Azeroth temporarily just to come back in a month or so.  Glad I finally escaped that treadmill of a world.
    sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sculsoldi3r
    Cartman said:
    "sculsoldi3r said:
    "In my opinion game rating have very little to do with how many will sell and that sorta thing. Halo 3 was rated M and is the best selling game for xbox 360. With over 8  million sold close to WoW..."
    Lmao, if WoW was rated M, much less ppl would be playing. Do you know how old alot of the WoW players are? They know Pikachu, not Conan.
    "
    My friend from texas alows his 12 year old daughter to play AoC... his 13 year old son too. Im 14 and play AoC, your 14 and play AoC, go figure. If WoW was rated M maybe 9 million people would still play.
    OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OGCartman
    sculsoldi3r said:
    "Cartman said:
    "sculsoldi3r said:
    "
    My friend from texas alows his 12 year old daughter to play AoC... his 13 year old son too. Im 14 and play AoC, your 14 and play AoC, go figure. If WoW was rated M maybe 9 million people would still play."
    Wow, ur judging ur facts from one dude. Its like a movie, a PG13 movie applies to a MUCH winder audience than a rated R.
    Absolutely now man, rating has alot to do with it. Therse no way in hell all the 10 year olds would still be playing if they couldnt buy it lol. Rating has alot to do with the sales. If Halo was Rated T, and had the same content, it would of obviously have sold much more copies. Dude its obvious
    OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OGCartman
    sculsoldi3r said:
    "Cartman said:
    "sculsoldi3r said:
    "
    My friend from texas alows his 12 year old daughter to play AoC... his 13 year old son too. Im 14 and play AoC, your 14 and play AoC, go figure. If WoW was rated M maybe 9 million people would still play."
    12 year old daughter playing AoC, cmon man thats obviously bullshit
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Systech

Everyone should just stop aiming at World of Warcraft. On the other hand, however, I am really looking forward to the Knights of the Old Republic MMO and I think that could take a chunk out of WoW.

MattDoGG91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MattDoGG91

Yes they are and i can't wait to get it.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pause422

Its a different user base by far though,WoW's user base is so established because its 80% casual players who have no interest in other video games at all except that. So if they're like those people,obviously they wouldn't even know what Kotor is,or even attempt to move somewhere else.

I also can't wait to see how the kotor mmo turns out though,and really wish some people on WoW would try to check out some other things,or just take a break from it and play some fun games.

Murpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Murpan

WoW will no doubt be beaten by the very company that created it.  When Blizzard releases a new MMO a majority of WoW players will no doubt skip over to the other side of the road for a new experience from the same trusted developer.

As for Age of Conan, I own it and have been playing if for a month and a half now.  But I have to say, the game is all right, and considering most of my buddies still play WoW I'll probably head back over to that camp.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By spacetrucking

MattDoGG91 said:

"Yes they are and i can't wait to get it."
    I just did a series of google searches and couldn't find any solid info about it. It might be a normal RPG or a MMO...if you can provide any reliable links, please do so!

BTW I should contribute something to the actual topic - WoW is awesome and too big to be toppled by any game in a couple of months. Peace!
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Systech
    Killjoy said:
    MattDoGG91 said:
    "Yes they are and i can't wait to get it."
    I just did a series of google searches and couldn't find any solid info about it. It might be a normal RPG or a MMO...if you can provide any reliable links, please do so!

BTW I should contribute something to the actual topic - WoW is awesome and too big to be toppled by any game in a couple of months. Peace!
    "
    John Riccitiello confirmed it a couple weeks ago.
    sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sculsoldi3r
    Cartman said:
    "sculsoldi3r said:
    "Cartman said:
    "sculsoldi3r said:
    "
    "
    No i asked him and he said his daughter played. And your point isnt really good considering your 14 and your saying how the games rated M... it proves the game isnt that hard to get. 
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Hamz

The problem with Age of Conan at the moment is FunCom haven't got their priorities in order. They've still not fixed simple and minor bugs when the games been out for months now, they've only just got round to attempting to fix the most major bug in the game and their update schedules never stay regular. When they say Wednesday 4am GMT it turns out to be Thursday 7am GMT that they take servers down for updates.

And the most important thing is they've cocked up the classes big time. AoC stands for Age of Casters for a reason when you hear people mention it. The games classes are broken and need a total overhaul from the ground up. Currently the tanking class in the game has been utterly ignored in EVERY update, the only changes to it have been stealth nerfs which have now made it utterly useless. And considering my main was a level 60+ Guardian, the tank classes name, i cancelled my subscription until FunCom sort their act out.

Genuinely it felt like i was paying to play a beta stage of the game when i played Age of Conan and it still feels that way. Thats why WoW will always be better because Blizzard took action to make sure bugs and issues with the game got fixed so it atleast was playable!

sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sculsoldi3r
    Hamz said:
    "The problem with Age of Conan at the moment is FunCom haven't got their priorities in order. They've still not fixed simple and minor bugs when the games been out for months now, they've only just got round to attempting to fix the most major bug in the game and their update schedules never stay regular. When they say Wednesday 4am GMT it turns out to be Thursday 7am GMT that they take servers down for updates.

And the most important thing is they've cocked up the classes big time. AoC stands for Age of Casters for a reason when you hear people mention it. The games classes are broken and need a total overhaul from the ground up. Currently the tanking class in the game has been utterly ignored in EVERY update, the only changes to it have been stealth nerfs which have now made it utterly useless. And considering my main was a level 60+ Guardian, the tank classes name, i cancelled my subscription until FunCom sort their act out.

Genuinely it felt like i was paying to play a beta stage of the game when i played Age of Conan and it still feels that way. Thats why WoW will always be better because Blizzard took action to make sure bugs and issues with the game got fixed so it atleast was playable!
    "
    Thats cause funcom sucks lol. Blizzard > shit > funcom basically
    Akolyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Akolyte

Blizzard delivers, quite honestly. Warcraft 3 paved the way for WoW, and then it started to earn itself based on it's own merit. WoW is not the "best" mmo, but it certainly is the most popular, and it's going to stay that way for a long time. Blizzard still does things to make me angry (Deathknight = someone who picked up Frostmourne and sold their soul to ner'zhul, damnit, not a tauren hunter or a gnome rogue.) but in the end, I could never hate WoW or blizzard.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By OGCartman
    sculsoldi3r said:
    "Cartman said:
    "sculsoldi3r said:
    "Cartman said:
    "sculsoldi3r said:
    "
    "
    No i asked him and he said his daughter played. And your point isnt really good considering your 14 and your saying how the games rated M... it proves the game isnt that hard to get. "
    Lol, u believe some random dude over the internet that his 12 year old daughter plays a rated M bloody game. Either hes the worst parent in the world or its
    bullshit ---- answer

Wow, thats seriously sad, u keep judging ur facts from 1 person. Lets see, it is extremely easy to get enough firepower to blow up half of europe, theres one dude that has it.... It is rated M, people under 17 cant buy it, there are a few that can but the majority cant. If its teen, they can get it whenever. A majority of the WoW community is teen, everyone knows that. Most of them cant transfer over to Age Of Conan. Its an M game. Because of ESRB bullshit. Now ur bringing me into it? I was hyped for the game for 2 fucking years, played beta like crazy, stayed up all night for early access and got collecters edition, im obviously gonna get my hands on it. And dude, im the one that go u to buy the game XD. Btw, ur lvl 25, i remember it used to be pretty bad back then. Level up to about 35, thats wen i considered the game starting.

O yah and TC post fails, its fucking stuped. Its not like Warhammer Online, Guild Wars and WoW, witch are all Fantasy T MMOs and all fit together. Age of Conan is rated M, bloody, brutal, requires a better computer and is just totally different. Idc if its still an MMO, that just means Massively Multiplayer Online, which DC universe will also.
    Xero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Xero

AoC will not be as big as WoW for any stretch of imagination but it has a solid user base.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.