Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

Things we Like or Dislike about Acheivments.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Personally, I like Acheivements. (and even trophys for that matter) it gives me incentive to do stuff I wouldnt normally do or notice and it gives me something to be kinda proud of. Its also great to comapre your acheivments to your friends, and have little compeitions to see who gets the most. I like the sound it makes when you get one, and the fact that it uses a number syestem. With trophys, I feel like I dont accomplish anything with a Brinze or even a silver. My Percentage dosent climb that much, but with a number total, the 5 points is visible from the get go.
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Achievements
    -Nice pop-up sound
    -Raises up your "High Score"
    Dislikes:
    -Makes people OCD 
    -Achievement whores
    -People will play games for the wrong reasons
    -Achievement whores
    -Online MP-only Achievements

Same could be said for Trophies except I don't see as many "Trophy Whores" as with Achievements.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ravensword
    @OllyOxenFree:

Maybe because Achivements have been around longer. I dont know, im a bit of both.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Jadeskye

it makes me OCD and do silly things i don't want to do just to get an S-Rank and it makes me buy games on the xbox 360 i might normally buy on the PC.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Burns098356GX

I hate it when they add achievements with insane goals just to add time-played to their game. For example, Forza 3 has a 80gs achivement called Soild Gold. You have to get a gold star on each event on the calander. So basically win every race in the game. Theres probably over 200 races. Laps vary from 2 to 15. Lap length can vary from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. Its just a giant time sink.

Also hate multi-player only achievements. Mainly because, many MP games fucking suck and I don't want to take the time to play your shitty online to get the achivements. Take Gears of War 2. Amazing game, can't wait for the 3rd. But sweet fuck thats the worst competitive multi-player ever. Throw in an achievement to reach the max online level and I'm going to resent it. I don't want to be forced to play MP features if I don't want too. I feel bad for people with Silver accounts who can't play and get the achivements.

I also hate it when they release DLC and add locked achievements to your card. Lets say I finish game, I have my 1000gs and I don't plan on touching it again. They come out with DLC with achievements, all of a sudden that game is no longer 'complete' on my card. I don't think its fair that because I don't want to buy the DLC that it should say my game is incomplete. They should have a way to separate it, maybe only add on those extra achievements once you download the DLC.

avengedxsniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By avengedxsniper

The only thing I dont like about achievements is when someone thinks they're better than anyone else because of their gamerscore. Yeah its cool that you got the mile high achievement. Doesn't mean you're the best player in the world.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Andorski

I like the sense of progression it gives you.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Brians

when they're spelled correctly/ incorrectly.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

I hate mandatory online multiplayer achievements. I try to deal with the idiots on XBox Live as little as possible but there are some achievements that are fun to try for that require jumping in the cesspool. 

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chuggsy

I hate when "You beat the game!" achievements pop up before the credits role. They usually happen right when the ending cinematic starts, right after a huge climactic part, and it takes away from the experience IMO.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Jedted
    @Chuggsy said:
    "I hate when "You beat the game!" achievements pop up before the credits role. They usually happen right when the ending cinematic starts, right after a huge climactic part, and it takes away from the experience IMO. "

That's why you have an option to turn off the notifications. 
    willwithskills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By willwithskills

I love achievements because they really make me strive to get the most out of the games I buy. After mining a game for all its achievements, I really feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By CptChiken

I dislike achievements which have clearly had no thought put into... like all achievements are story related... at least make an effort developers

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By project343

I really don't like: 
    - high-end multiplayer achievements (i.e. kill 10,000 players online) 
    - difficulty setting achievements; it's lazy, and inaccessible to those who may prefer to play games on easier settings

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By GunstarRed

@project343 said:

"I really don't like: - high-end multiplayer achievements (i.e. kill 10,000 players online) - difficulty setting achievements; it's lazy, and inaccessible to those who may prefer to play games on easier settings "

while I'm not hugely fond of having there be  a ton achievements tied to different difficulties...if all achievements were open to the  easiest settings it would completely go against the idea that it is an achievement.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By haggis
    @OllyOxenFree: "Makes people play games for the wrong reasons" you say. I'm not sure I care why others play games, and I'm not sure there are any wrong reasons. I may not like the way some people play, but it doesn't make much difference to me.

I'll agree with some above about high-end multi-player achievements. In fact, I kinda wish multi-player achievements were a separate score from single-player altogether. And difficulty achievements can be irritating, especially if you don't get the points for the lower levels when you beat it on the hardest difficulty. Who wants to beat a game on hard, only to have to go back and beat it on easy for a few points? Mostly, though, devs have gotten smarter about this.
    JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JoeyIA

Like - Gives me a goal to achieve 
    Dislike - Stupid fucking 'secret' achievements that don't give you any clue as to what you have to do to get them
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By CharleyTony

I really like achievements and all but I have one problem. When I "S-RANK" a game, I feel like it is completed and I stop playing it (unless I havent finished the story yet but almost no games can be completed without winning the campaign anyway). 
    I feel like I get more out of my game but after I complete the achievements, I almost never touch it again.... 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.