Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

Are achievements bad for gaming?

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By wh1terav3n

First off, the link to what I'm discussing: 
    http://www.destructoid.com/gdc-10-are-achievements-harmful--166646.phtml
    Personally, I did not even think about this until I actually read the article. Now that I think about it though, in some games, especially the non-story driven ones, I can become more fixated on the achievements than enjoying the game. A perfect example would be some Steam games, I buy them, but if they don't have some sort of unlockable (or even if they do, since I don't care about steam achievements very much), I find it difficult to play for any length of time, while on 360 games, when I play, sometimes I'll play just for that next achievement, or push myself to get that next 15G. However, going back to play that game later, I find that I have more trouble playing it for any length of time. 

With the original xbox games, I never seemed to have this problem, I could play and replay games at my leisure without feeling like I wasn't achieving anything (for instance in racing games like PGR), but now it feels like if I'm not working towards an achievement or playing with friends, I'm wasting my time. Does anyone else feel the same way?

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By CornontheCobbe

It's true. I think to an extent they have ruined games a bit. Like as you said, some Steam games like the Orange Box (Half Life 2 to be specific) are filled with things you can try and achieve. I think that i spent more time attempting to carry a damned gnome to a rocket ship, then actually enjoying the storyline. 

Where as with old games that don't have achievements i think you spend more time on them and try not to get through them as quickly. Some games have achievements that work i guess, and some don't.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I guess they could ruin games for some people, but for me personally, I always play the a game one or two times before I even check the achievement page, then go back for achievements if I enjoy the game a bunch.  So for me, they only add to gaming through replay value.

threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By threeve

Nah I don't think so, I think it's fun for the most part, to give little challenges on top of the core game - but then I don't obsess over gamerscore.... 

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cornbredx

Like poster above me said, I dont focus on achievements that much. If I like the game then I go back and look for ones I missed, but if your playing for the first time and focusing on the achievements then I can see how that can ruin the experience.  

I dont personally really care about the achievements all that much and get 'em when I get 'em. I always assumed it was just supposed to be a way to pad out the value of the game AFTER you play it. I guess I'm in the minority on that. They do make me more likely to pass games I wouldnt normally otherwise get through (cus they suck in some unfun way) but for the most part they serve no purpose for me other then to store my game collection which I think is cool (I dont rent games). That's just my take on it.
    Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Kinarion

Nintendo's Miyamoto has certainly said as much, but I'm not sure myself.  For one, I find it difficult to lump all achievements under the same banner, as there are several distinct types.

1. There are the natural achievements, which reward the player for normal progression through the game's story/levels.  In my eyes, these don't effect the gameplay experience at all.

2. There are the exploration achievements, which reward the player for venturing into areas/modes outside the main game/storyline.  This category includes achievements for entering multiplayer matches or performing sidequests. These may or may not effect the player's experience, depending the player's natural affinity for exploration. While these may occasionally be objectionable to players who would otherwise finish and toss a game, they serve a purpose by encouraging people to experience the full breadth of a game.

3. The third type are the grinding achievements, which tend to be the ones that bother folks most.  Whether its firing 10,000 bullets, driving 5,000 miles or shooting 100 pigeons, these encourage the player only to perform mundane tasks repeatedly, for no purpose other than the achievement.

4. The last type I would mention would be the unique achievements.  This category contains the wacky tasks, like carrying gnomes and remapping the 'Splode button.  It's generally stupid/silly stuff that exists only to add flavor.

While there is some overlap in these categories, I think it covers most of the achievement bases decently.  The only ones I'll say might hurt the game are the third type, which tend to be uninspired and unenjoyable.  The others are either innocuous or purposeful.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By rjayb89

Achievements actually help me in considering whether I should replay a game I wouldn't have in the first place.  Sometimes I'll see through the faults of the game I saw the first time and appreciate it more then I did last time.  Not with FEAR and FEAR 2, I simply hated those games.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob

Extra objectives = Extra lifespan for your games Its not even a matter of discussion.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By OllyOxenFree

People just ruin games for themselves.  Achievements are alright but some people take it way too far.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jeffsekai

Yes.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Yes, I've been saying this for while, achievements have ruined gaming... People care about the achievements way to much, and don't notice how crappy these games are...

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Kazona

I'm really torn on achievements. Part of me really wants to get the maximum amount of points on every game I own, but it usually doesn't take long until some annoying achievement ruins my enjoyment of the game.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Achievements aren't anything new. Achievement-like challenges have been built into games for decades. Now these challenges into a unified system outside of the game, but the challenges themselves haven't changed much. Anyone taking them too seriously only playing because they need points is ruining the games for themselves.

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wh1terav3n
    @DuhQbnSiLo: Its not that the game itself is crappy, its that achievements ruin your enjoyment of an otherwise very enjoyable game. They make you want to go after objectives that you wouldn't normally for an arbitrary number. This makes the game into a game of "give me the reward" rather than "I'm having fun with the game for the game's sake". Whether or not that is what happens is the point of the discussion.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By End_Boss

An achievement is an inanimate object, in fact its an incorporeal concept. The only way an achievement will ever ruin a game for anyone is if that person decides to lend it more importance than it deserves.

Remember, your gamer score is just a number.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MattyFTM said:
    " Achievements aren't anything new. Achievement-like challenges have been built into games for decades. Now these challenges into a unified system outside of the game, but the challenges themselves haven't changed much. Anyone taking them too seriously only playing because they need points is ruining the games for themselves. "
    Yep, this exactly.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By haggis

I think achievements are a wonderful thing. First, if you don't like them you don't even really need to pay attention to them. But for me, at least, it helps structure a second playthrough of the game, and make me change the way I approach it. I've found, on occasion, that I being forced to play differently has made me appreciate some games all the more.

Some achievements are just plain insane, and require someone a little on the OCD side to finish. But, hey, some gamers like those kinds of achievements. While I'm sure that some people are a little too obsessive about them, I'm not sure how it ruins anyone else's gaming experience. Beyond the annoying bragging about gamerscore (and lets face it, it's not like bragging wasn't a problem in gaming before achievements) what harm does it do?

The fact is that nearly everything we do in life we do for one reward or another, even if the reward is something intangible like a sense of personal accomplishment or a gamerscore. Very few of us would go out of our way to, say, collect all the feathers in Assassin's Creed 2 without some kind of benefit or reward. The entire RPG genre is based on this: that's what grinding is. We do something seemingly pointless for awhile, and get a reward (experience points). So if you're going to call into question gamerscore, then you might as well call into question RPGs, any game that gives you XP for a kill, any game that gives you points for anything, or any game that keeps stats. That Nintendo execs tend to be anti-gamerscore always amuses me. Nintendo games are big on unlockables. You get unlocked items for doing all sorts of crazy things in their games. The principle is the same. You play, you get a reward. You play the game in a strange way, you get a reward. Gotta get all the unlocked characters!

So color me unconvinced. Perhaps it would be better if there wasn't a single number attached to the score, and it was instead just a list of accomplishments without a number attached. Who knows. But for most gamers, I think the score is a positive thing.

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wh1terav3n
    @haggis: Yeah, perhaps more similar to the Steam style. But I do agree with much of what you said. Like the author of the article, perhaps more legitamite research is needed. I love achievements, and I love going for them. Unfortunately, I don't like not having them, and playing some games without a reward attached at the end feels somewhat pointless (the less story driven ones in my case)
    Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Chirag4

They're only bad for gaming if you decide to take them seriously.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Whisperkill

nah, they add another layer to games. 

If you don't like em, don't try and get them

KennyPowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KennyPowers

They can make online multiplayer very annoying if people are only going for achievements.   

When I play a game, I'll go through the first time not caring.  If I like it enough, I'll check out some of the achievements and try to go after them.  Its kind of nice to have a reason to go back and play other than just replaying the same game in the same way as before.  It at least makes you try new things. 

On the other hand, it is ridiculous that some people will buy a cheap game just because it has easy achievements. 

ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShadowKing7

I kinda miss back when doing the stuff like they use for achievements got you special unlocks like extra vehicles, costumes, cheat codes, weapons, or a look at the making of the game, and shit like that, instead of a trophy or arbitrary point value.
    riffingt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By riffingt0n
    @Kinarion said:
    " For one, I find it difficult to lump all achievements under the same banner, as there are several distinct types.."

I think this sums it up pretty (and is how I tend to think of them), usually my tolerance for the 'OCD' achievements is pretty low unless I totally love a game.  I'd add a 5th category that I don't think is covered and is meaningful enough to deserve mention that I personally love:

5. "Challenge" achievements.  Higher difficulties, specific challenges that are more about skill than gimmicks.  The early music game achievements had a few of these (beating the game on hard/expert, 5*ing songs on hard/expert, getting XYZ score on a particular instrument/song combo.).  

With games tending to be easier, achievements like this motivate me to try this challenge stuff and usually it's there that I find out how deep or shallow the gameplay is and how good the AI is, etc.  And even gives me a long-term reason to come back to something if I wasn't good enough the first time. I personally love these types if I have any love for a game at all and if the challenges are meaningful.  5*ing all of GH3's hard difficulty was a goal (both with and without the achievement) for a while for me.
     But often bad achievements are those that reward behaviour that is un-fun in the context of that game, and those (your type 3) can definitely make a game feel less fun if you're otherwise enjoying that kind of extra stuff in a game.
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bigandtasty

No. For developers, there are good ways to use achievements in addition to bad ways. The same goes for players and how they perceive achievements.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @wh1terav3n: Look out for a post of mine about this.
    jos1ah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jos1ah

They definitely CAN ruin some games for me as I have found myself chasing them at times when I probably should've been enjoying the game freely.... But it's a complicated issue and I don't think Achievements are a bad idea at all.  Mostly, I think that the achievement system isn't the best...I'd like it if there was also a log for completion percentage and time played per game, stats that are more in depth and personalized as opposed to "kill 100,000 enemies"
    Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By Bennyishere

I am a big fan of achievements and can definitely say that they have added many hours of playtime into each of my games. I'm 150 hours into Forza 3, and I would probably have stopped at 50 were it not for the last achievement I miss in the game, which is for completing the entire event list. Forza 3 can be very tedious, with you driving on the same track over and over again. Still, I do it because when I get that achievement I know I will get an extreme sense of satisfaction and closure. It may seem pointless to you, but it makes me very happy.

However, I'm not buying games solely for achievements. It is the icing on the cake. If you put achievements on a piece of shit, it's still a piece of shit, but if you put achievements on a cake... It's delicious. This is a great analogy.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By inkeiren

I really never ever got interested in them.

I don't see them having a negative effect, though.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By neoepoch

Ruined?
    So are games completely unplayable now just because you have some type of addiction to a meaningless score?
    Yes, it is fun to see the number next to your name, and yes, it is cool when developers give you points for playing games a different way.  But adding this layer of games isn't causing games to no longer be fun because you have to do that weird thing to get the achievements. YOU have to show control around them and YOU can choose whether or not to play games which include them.
    I like achievements but I sure as hell ain't going to play bad games for them or play a game 7 times over on harder difficulties. If there is something I can get easily or naturally as the game progresses, great! I'll get it. If there is something that requires me to give a little more effort, great! I'll get it that too, but I'm not going to bust my balls over ever achievement or play terrible games for them. There is a line.

And as for Miyamoto, I love the guy, but he seems to be missing the point about achievements. Also I wonder to myself does he even really consider other things in the game industry or just ignore everything and work in a vacuum? Does he play his competitors' games or just stay in that Nintendo bubble?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By jakob187
    @MattyFTM said:
    " Achievements aren't anything new. Achievement-like challenges have been built into games for decades. Now these challenges into a unified system outside of the game, but the challenges themselves haven't changed much. Anyone taking them too seriously only playing because they need points is ruining the games for themselves. "
    I can't agree that it's ruining the game for me.  If anything, achievements are merely fun little things to do while playing.  It's something you keep in the back of your mind while you are playing.  After that first playthrough is complete, you go back for some replay value by picking up leftover achievements, or you just say "I don't really care about achievements" and move on. 

Otherwise, I feel exactly the same way as Matty has put it.  Challenges like this have been in games for a long time now, so achievements/trophies are doing nothing more than adding some form of value outside of the game itself to those challenges.  In turn, they can award gamerpics, avatar awards, and other bonuses to players. 

I think Soul Calibur IV, as much as I hate that game, is a primary example of EXCELLENT integration of achievements.  For every achievement you unlock, you gain additional costumes and items to use in the custom character creator.  THAT is what kept me playing that game, and I wish more games would look at it as an example of how to integrate achievements into the game well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.