Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

3D Realms Entertainment

Company »

3D Realms was a Texas-based video game studio, most famous for developing the Duke Nukem series of games. In 2014 the name was acquired and it now refers to a studio based out of Denmark.

3D Realms is back, kind of! $39.99 for their entire catalog!

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By audiosnow

UPDATE: The launch price is gone and it's now its standard price of $39.99 USD. I'm linking a review by LazyGameReviews, a PC and classic game and hardware reviewer I follow and enjoy (and am not affiliated with). It goes more in-depth and shows screenshots and videos of the launcher and games in action, as well as mentioning which lesser-known Apogee games were unfortunately omitted from the compilation.

I grew up on id and Apogee. What's a "Playstation"? This "SNES" won't even launch this .BAT. Now a PC I could understand! Well, Apogee (and their 3D-game development label 3D Realms) killed itself in the mid 2000s, with Prey's and Duke Nukem Forever's eleven- and fifteen-year, respectively, development hells.

In March of this year, Interceptor Entertainment purchased 3D Realms and instated a new CEO. And they've quietly collected their entire game collection, excepting Max Payne and Prey, thirty-two games in all, in a 3D Realms Anthology. It will be priced at $39.99, but as a happy coincidence I made my bi-annual visit to the site during their half-off launch sale. It's download only, and I don't know what modifications have been made to the game engines to make them compatible with modern systems, but I have bought several of these titles through GOG.com and those work just fine. The games launch through a modern launcher, each game apparently comes with the digital manual, and the pack includes the Anthology Soundtrack containing nine remastered tracks from eight of the games.

https://3drealms.com/catalog/3d-realms-anthology_50/

Get it while it's hot. Sixty-two American pennies per game hot.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's downright evil of them to have that box/jewel case mockup for a digital-only release. I'd buy a physical copy in a split second.

I mean, I'm going to buy this either way because fuck yeah, but still.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LeStephan
    Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Those were pretty cool games back in the day but I highly doubt they are playable today.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

Those were pretty cool games back in the day but I highly doubt they are playable today.

Most of them hold up quite well, at least to me.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

So many great games there - especially the Blake Stone games, Raptor, Stargunner, Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy, Duke Nukem 2, etc...

@shagge said:

It's downright evil of them to have that box/jewel case mockup for a digital-only release. I'd buy a physical copy in a split second.

I mean, I'm going to buy this either way because fuck yeah, but still.

They've said that they intend to have a physical release if there's enough demand.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Holy shit this company just never fucking dies. Do they even have the rights to sell some of these games anymore? Bethesda/Zenimax is exactly the kind of company who would sue their ass back to bankruptcy for selling Wolfenstein 3D without some sort of deal in place.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I've got no use for the entire catalog... back in the day I played a lot of Duke 2 and Terminal Velocity, but the only one that I am thinking about getting now is Raptor. That's been available on GoG for a long time, hasn't it?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Corevi

Holy shit this company just never fucking dies. Do they even have the rights to sell some of these games anymore? Bethesda/Zenimax is exactly the kind of company who would sue their ass back to bankruptcy for selling Wolfenstein 3D without some sort of deal in place.

Didn't they do exactly that to Interplay for selling the Fallout games?

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That is really cool. I concur with the sentiment of anger pointed at a lack of physical copy. That's truly a bummer.

Thanks for sharing, though!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#11  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Terminal Velocity is still fucking amazing. I want a sequel/ROTT style remake of that so badly.

EDIT: WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT REORCHESTRATED SOUNDTRACKS BY THE RISE OF THE TRIAD DUDE?!!!

Can someone confirm this isn't just the GOG releases of the games, but actual updates with remastered music? I already own every game in here on GOG, but I'd totally buy this again just to hear an updated version of that imiation of Welcome to the Jungle that played on the first level of Blake Stone.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Fredchuckdave

System Requirements for Alien Carnage

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Intel Core 2 Duo or higher.

Minimum 2GB of RAM.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Giant_Gamer

3D Realms... So many great memories.

I'll jump in just for the nostalgic feel and hopefully support them on their next project.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#14  Edited By SubwayD

@fisk0 said:

Terminal Velocity is still fucking amazing. I want a sequel/ROTT style remake of that so badly.

EDIT: WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT REORCHESTRATED SOUNDTRACKS BY THE RISE OF THE TRIAD DUDE?!!!

Can someone confirm this isn't just the GOG releases of the games, but actual updates with remastered music? I already own every game in here on GOG, but I'd totally buy this again just to hear an updated version of that imiation of Welcome to the Jungle that played on the first level of Blake Stone.

It's just a couple of bonus tracks included with the bundle, if I'm not mistaken. None of the game music has been changed.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@corevi: I think that lawsuit was about the Fallout MMO they were making, but yeah. Bethesda and Zenimax will sue for just about any reason.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By audiosnow

Its sale price is over, but it's still a great deal for the number of games you get. Now it's a whole $1.24 per game. I also linked a video from a reviewer I've found to be honest and engaging, even if he does love Duke Nukem a lot. I mean a LOT.

EDIT: @turtlebird95: I haven't traced the Fallout IP very closely, but I know GOG had to remove them (Fallout 1 and 2) from their catalog about a year ago due to a license expiring, or changing hands, or something. ZeniMax is sure doing its best to make itself unlikable.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By cornbredx

I didn't realize they left. Last I checked they still existed and kept getting into trouble trying to make Duke Nukem games behind TakeTwo's back. I believe they were bought out at some point, too.

Anyway, this is cool although I may pass. I have a lot of these games already. It's cool that other people (as few as that may be) will get to play them, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.