Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

2064: Read Only Memories

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jul 13, 2014

Read Only Memories is a cyberpunk adventure game focused on the dark side of technology in the year 2064.

Did anyone else finish ROM?

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I recently finished ROM and came to the forums to find there was only one thread from a while ago. Who else played it?

While playing I felt like it could have been better, but since having finished it the game has really stuck with me. The characters are memorable, the music is fantastic, and it has a really interesting and positive take on cyberpunk.

I have some thoughts on things it could have done better, but I actually ended up really liking it. Anybody else have thoughts on ROM?

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I finished it around the time of release. Overall a really great anime/cyberpunk experience. I really liked their vision of the future where issues of race, gender and sexuality are non existent, but there's still tension between gene-modded people, people with augmentations and people who are against human modification. All that stuff is handled super well. Also one of the favourite original soundtracks from last year. Really sad it wasn't mentioned during the GotY debates, but nobody but Austin played it and even then he didn't finish it.

I'm gonna be open about spoilers so heads up to people who are interested.

What ending did you choose/get? I chose to give all ROMs sentience and ended up being pretty satisfied with the ending, even if it was a little bit "Hollywood", with Turing literally saying "I couldn't have done it without you [player name here]!" It felt like it fit thematically though, and I was playing a pretty tolerant character who treated Turing as a human being, for lack of a better term, rather than as a service robot so it felt like the natural choice.

I really, really hated the final puzzle when you have to avoid the assassin robot (forget his name) by closing doors. I've always had trouble with those kind of puzzles and it almost made me stop playing literally minutes before the ending.

EDIT: It's also criminal that this game didn't get considered for Best Styyyyyyle.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@clairvoyantvibrations: I brought about ROM sentience as well. I wasn't expecting the story to go that way and was pretty pleased with it as an ending, especially since the middle of the game drags and feels aimless at times. And those door puzzles that somehow keep returning are not great...

I think that ending is probably the one most people will end up seeing unless they go out of their way to be mean to Turing. It was interesting that the player wasn't the main character, but a sidekick who just watched things progress with some options for input. While it let the story flow naturally for a while, and allowed for cool conversations (or monologues, if I'm being honest), when Turing got stuck and wanted to give up it really killed the pacing because you're pretty much just a yes man the entire game. You probably say "It's up to you, Turing" more than anything else.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

No, because the last area in the sewers glitched out and I couldn't progress.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Thoroughly enjoyed the game. Enough that it's on my GOtY list for 2015.

That said, it's been about 4/5 months since I finished it, so I'm a bit hazy on the finer details. Haha. It was one of those games I figured was going to get shafted in the end of the year stuff as only Austin played it, and even he seemed cooled off on it.

Ah well. Great little game. Yet to play through the free DLC, though. I'm waiting for the amped up console version for that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.