Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jan 14, 1987

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link is the second entry in the ground-breaking Zelda franchise. This controversial follow-up ditches the original's top-down perspective for 2D side-scrolling exploration and combat. The 2D towns, dungeons and combat arenas are tied together by a top-down overworld.

My personal Link to the past

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

Edited By Alphazero
    My Original Zelda 2 Cart
    My Original Zelda 2 Cart
    Digging through a box of -- this is true -- my old Star Wars action figures, I found my original cartridge of the first video game I ever loved: Zelda II : The Adventure of Link. Reading through Giant Bomb's wikis it seems this one isn't well regarded, but at the time there was nothing else I wanted to play. It was the Fallout 3 of my early years. 

The side-scrolling was familiar to me, and my favorite part of the game. The dungeons and their occasionally maze like layout had me drawing extensive maps marked with enemy locations, keys, boss fights, and any other details I could fit in. The RPG-like experience point system had me doing my first instance of level grinding. I could jump and kill birds for hours just to level up and get more life boxes. When I was playing Shadow Complex recently, I wasn't flashing back to Metroid or Caslevania, although it's clearly more directly inspired by those, but I recalled jumping around dungeons, trying to find the boss fight in this one.

Holding the actual cartridge is kind of blowing my mind.

Alright eBay, time for you to find me a functional NES. I wonder if my save game is still good. Twenty four years might be a little long for the battery to last, especially since I didn't always hold down the reset button while I turned the old one off. Now that's living on the edge.
    Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Alphazero
    My Original Zelda 2 Cart
    My Original Zelda 2 Cart
    Digging through a box of -- this is true -- my old Star Wars action figures, I found my original cartridge of the first video game I ever loved: Zelda II : The Adventure of Link. Reading through Giant Bomb's wikis it seems this one isn't well regarded, but at the time there was nothing else I wanted to play. It was the Fallout 3 of my early years. 

The side-scrolling was familiar to me, and my favorite part of the game. The dungeons and their occasionally maze like layout had me drawing extensive maps marked with enemy locations, keys, boss fights, and any other details I could fit in. The RPG-like experience point system had me doing my first instance of level grinding. I could jump and kill birds for hours just to level up and get more life boxes. When I was playing Shadow Complex recently, I wasn't flashing back to Metroid or Caslevania, although it's clearly more directly inspired by those, but I recalled jumping around dungeons, trying to find the boss fight in this one.

Holding the actual cartridge is kind of blowing my mind.

Alright eBay, time for you to find me a functional NES. I wonder if my save game is still good. Twenty four years might be a little long for the battery to last, especially since I didn't always hold down the reset button while I turned the old one off. Now that's living on the edge.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

I love the smell of old cartridges. Ooohh...

Anyway, the game probably won't play as well as you might remember but at least nostalgia can help move it aside.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.