Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Vita version released today

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jesus_Phish

A bit of a stealth release I think.

A lot of people knew it was coming but this has just sort of landed onto the store without much hype, advertising or praise. No idea if it's any good or not or who did the porting job.

The last big 2K game to go to Vita was Borderlands 2 which was playable but was not a great version of that game at all. As much as I like the idea of playing X-Com on a Vita I think I'll wait for some reviews.

Also, for anyone with a PSTV the store is saying it's not compatible.

*EDIT*

It might currently only be available on the EU store.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

It's out on the Australian store for $29.95. It seems a bit weird to me for it to finally come out after XCOM 2, at more than double the price of the Android version (which is a surprisingly decent port of the game.)

Mysterious0Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just Enemy Unknown and not Within? Seems a little underwhelming after XCom 2.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysterious0bob: @audiobusting: A few of the English sites reporting on it have said that 2K didn't even send out a press release for the game and that they've never officially even announced it. I think this is a case of them just wrapping something up and throwing it out.

And yeah I believe it's just EU and not EW.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So what is the "Plus"? Touchscreen-features or something more substantial?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Even Jake Solomon was surprised. Take that as you will.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please be good, please be good, please be good...

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's on the NA store now, will download it once I clear some space off my memory card. Impressions may not end up being meaningful, I haven't played an XCOM.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@artisanbreads said:

Even Jake Solomon was surprised. Take that as you will.

That is the tweet of a man who wants to imply that he supports the game he helped make, in all its versions, but doesn't want to support it too hard because it's probably a really low budget Vita port because how is that version possibly going to sell anything when it already came out on every other platform 3 years ago.

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't buy it because I have no interest in playing it again, but its on the NA store now for $20. The screenshots and copyright info include things from Enemy Within, so I'm going to assume its all there despite the weird name.

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Initial "I've never played an XCOM before" report after doing a mission: game's got a bit of a hitch at points, but nothing too obnoxious. The occasional jump and then it's back to what feels like a biiiiit under 30 fps. Not janky, just a hair off. Obviously, sacrificed graphical quality, but seems like if you want to play XCOM on your Vita it'd get the job done. For those familiar with Vita dev history, it uses the recentish enhancement that reserves extra OS resources, which disables some of the multitasking. Far from the slowest load times I've seen on a Vita game, the mission load seemed like the worst and it was around 20 seconds, and you could read the mission briefing while it all loaded in.

Seems OK?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

@bisonhero: He's only a lead designer at Firaxis, this is probably out of his control. As far as I know, Take-Two owns the rights to the game and often assigns ports like this to other studios (I believe the Android port was done fully by 2K China and outsourced contractors).

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@audiobusting: Oh yeah, I'm sure his reaction is genuine. Just pointing out how his tweet is hilariously unwilling to commit to guaranteeing it's actually a solid version of the game.

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For whatever it's worth (since people were wondering), 2K China shows up in the intro logos.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Those FTL guys came from 2K China didn't they? Actually, *reads wikipedia* damn. 2K China was shutdown yo. Back in November apparently...

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

This whole thing is delightfully bizarre. Good on the Vita for getting a good game like this, but now? I'd really love to know the story behind this one.

jpon87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh! I'd be interested in downloading that on Vita! Loved it on PC and if it's smooth enough to play on the go it's worth a try!

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TanookiSuit

Kinda want to get this. I've been sporadically playing XCOM on the PS3, as I hadn't played one before and had it from when it was free on PS Plus, but to have it on the Vita sounds just wonderful. Additionally, i'd be able to add another game to the list that I don't need the PS3 hooked up for. Now...to find 2.2 GB of space on my memory card... D:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.