Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Are you still open to the Xbox One at E3, or are you out?

• 173 results
    Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Poll Are you still open to the Xbox One at E3, or are you out? (639 votes)

I'm already sold on the Xbox One, can't wait till E3! 7%
    It's all about the games, they can still win me over at E3. 26%
    Fuck this, I'm out. 16%
    I was leaning towards Sony anyway, the DRM/etc "clarification" just reaffirmed my choice. 28%
    PC gaming and/or Nintendo gaming is where it's at - so shrug. 17%
    Other (post your thoughts!) 6%

I was one of the many who sat on the sidelines on the issues after the Xbox One reveal, thinking "well, none of the crazy stuff is confirmed, so let's wait until E3 or further clarification."

In many instances, I certainly voiced my opinion stating that if the rumours / unconfirmed info post reveal were confirmed, I'd be out.

So, I'm happy/disheartened to say that after today's clarification, it's likely that I'll be looking at a one-console-future. Sony doesn't have Kinect, and DRM on their platform would only cause me to move most of my purchases to other platforms (so I'd only be buying it for the exclusives / console-only titles). As such, I'm pretty sure I'm sold on it already.

But that's just me! I'd like to hear where the overall GB forums community is at.

So - where do you stand in the lead up to E3? Can Microsoft still win you over?

• 
    AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AngriGhandi

My heart says "fuck this, I'm out," but my brain says that I should probably wait and see how good the exclusive reveals are.

My brain is also addicted to video games, though, so I don't know if it can be trusted.

*shrug*

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm out.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angrighandi said:

My heart says "fuck this, I'm out," but my brain says that I should probably wait and see how good the exclusive games are.

My brain is also addicted to video games, though, so I don't know if it can be trusted.

*shrug*

I was in exactly that same camp until the reveal event. I was certain I'd be buying both day one no matter what. However, it helps that I don't have that kind of money / I should be more conservative with my purchases. The days of me buying 20 games a year are sadly gone : (

As such, I think I I can keep my consumerist heart at bay for this one.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Darji

My heart says "fuck this, I'm out," but my brain says that I should probably wait and see how good the exclusive reveals are.

*shrug*

But this is the problem. They have definitely bought some games or publisher will support MS with exclusive games but if you buy into this you basically do not care in the first place.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm out

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't that into the 360 and I've heard nothing about the Xbox One that has made me change my tune.

...But at the end of the day what I really care about is the games, so if a bunch of awesome, amazing, exciting games get announced I'm still open to the idea of getting one. But I don't have high expectations for those games to show up.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

I wasn't that into the 360 and I've heard nothing about the Xbox One that has made me change my tune.

...But at the end of the day what I really care about is the games, so if a bunch of awesome, amazing, exciting games get announced I'm still open to the idea of getting one. But I don't have high expectations for those games to show up.

What are your thoughts on the potentially console-exclusive Titanfall? That and Mirror's Edge look to be the big surprises MS had lined up for E3.

Of course, there will be more, but that's what is looking to be the early bets for the big wows.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jdh5153

Already sold, buying one regardless. Incredibly excited for it too.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Am I going insane? Why are people reacting to everything MS does with terrible threads even though they have no information about what Sony is doing or what MS is doing at E3.

MS just said they are __________ i'm totally going to skip it even though we are 5 days away from the biggest info dump for the all the systems. Who thinks like this?

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombie2011 said:

MS just said they are __________ i'm totally going to skip it even though we are 5 days away from the biggest info dump for the all the systems. Who thinks like this?

People like myself to whom 24-hour check-ins and required Kinect matter?

I don't mind the used game limitations as such, but the check-ins are somewhat a result of that, so there's some conflict there too.

There are legitimate reasons to opt out of the Xbox One - right now, especially since MS has outlined their opening policy structure. At this stage, from the information we have, Sony doesn't have Kinect (obviously) and can be used in an oldschool offline mode.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mrsignerman44

*shrug*

My thoughts exactly, I feel it's a bit too soon to jump ship but I've liked absolutely nothing that I've seen so far.

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was never in it.

Unless they stop charging for Xbox Live I'm going to stick to PC gaming and PS4.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am pretty disappointed in the limitations of the hardware so the new Xbox was out of the running for my first next-gen purchase even before everybody went crazy. I think that the additional speed-bumps like having to adopt and care for a Kinect, the online requirements and the decision to put the consumers' rights in the hands of game publishers have soured me on the philosophy behind the machine too, so I would be looking for a hardware revision and some policy changes before considering a purchase.

Ultimately, I only need a console which plays console games so the perception that gaming is a secondary or tertiary function of this "all-in-one entertainment hub" would probably be something of a turn-off even if all the other problems with the machine were resolved.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I was out before the Xbox One was even announced.

Everyone knew it was going to be a restrictive piece of shit, at least everyone I know. I don't know what the big surprise was.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zeik

@selfconfessedcynic said:

@zeik said:

What are your thoughts on the potentially console-exclusive Titanfall? That and Mirror's Edge look to be the big surprises MS had lined up for E3.

Of course, there will be more, but that's what is looking to be the early bets for the big wows.

I don't know what to think of Titanfall yet. As of now it doesn't sound like much more than yet another shooter, but now with mechs. It seems like it has potential to be interesting, but ultimately it is coming to the PC, and at this point I'm much more inclined to invest in a good gaming PC than an Xbox One.

If Mirror's Edge 2 became a Xbox One exclusive that might be different. That alone is not enough to get me to buy the console, but it would be a start. Although I'm not convinced that would end up being an Xbox One exclusive.

danmcn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing that had me nervous was the kinect. But if it's true you don't need it at all then most likely I will be getting a XboxOne unless Sony pulls some really good exclusives from seemingly no where.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Darji

@zeik said:

@zeik said:

I don't know what to think of Titanfall yet. As of now it doesn't sound like much more than yet another shooter, but now with mechs. It sounds like it has potential to be interesting, but ultimately it is coming to the PC, and at this point I'm much more inclined to invest in a good gaming PC than an Xbox One.

If Mirror's Edge 2 became a Xbox One exclusive that might be different. That alone is not enough to get me to buy the console, but it would be a start. Although I'm not convinced that would end up being an Xbox One exclusive.

Mirrors Edge 2 is supposedly be Xbone exclusive and a Kinect game from Dice.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love my 360. With that said some of these anti-consumer antics are extremely disgusting. I refuse to support the new xbox unless major changes are made to the policy(which will not happen). So for now I will stick to my PC and maybe pick up Wii U for whatever Zeno game comes next. Unless Sony wow me at e3, we will see.

ps. Last guardian sony, you got me if you have that.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: A Kinect game? Maybe I don't care after all...

That sounds like very unsubstantiated rumors though.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danmcn12 said:

The only thing that had me nervous was the kinect. But if it's true you don't need it at all then most likely I will be getting a XboxOne unless Sony pulls some really good exclusives from seemingly no where.

Just need to stop you there for a second - it's not true that you don't need the Kinect.

The Kinect is required to be connected to the Xbox One, but you can elect to pause it during gameplay. It will be on during standby mode - and it will be on during gameplay, just paused.

The only way that we know of to turn off the Kinect is to power down the console. (I've linked the release in the OP)

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say fuck this I'm out, but I was never really in it to begin with. Between my PC, Nintendo consoles/handhelds, and Sony consoles/handhelds, I haven't had a need for a Microsoft console. I can't think of anything I'm missing from that trio that I could possibly want a Microsoft console for. Unless they offer free online and start to pop out excellent rpgs (preferably jrpgs) left and right, I have a hunch that trend of safely being able to avoid purchasing an xbox will continue for me. Not trying to sound like a fanboy or anything. Just looking at this from a pure what I want in my gaming and what they offer standpoint.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm completely out. I wasn't even a big fan of 360, I missed out on all of the ps3 games this gen and 360 had no exclusives I cared about. On top of that all the restrictions are insane.

Dvsshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As of now, I'm not buying an Xbone anytime soon. I will wait for price drops for the games and system.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@zeik said:

I don't know what to think of Titanfall yet. As of now it doesn't sound like much more than yet another shooter, but now with mechs. It seems like it has potential to be interesting, but ultimately it is coming to the PC, and at this point I'm much more inclined to invest in a good gaming PC than an Xbox One.

I'm with you on Titanfall - if it's any good, I'll be picking it up on PC, which is a confirmed platform, so that's great.

As for Mirror's Edge, I still need to play the original, which I have on Steam. The rumours are it has some Kinect stuff, but who knows. It may well be fully playable with the controller, in which case fans should be happy (assuming a decent team is making it)

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ez123

That 24-hour check-in is fucking terrible but I'll buy it if it's got some games I really want.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

...third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners.

And I'm exploring the possibilities of you going and fucking yourselves.

If Sony doesn't pull this bullshit, or even if they don't require an internet connection, they're who I'm going with in this upcoming console generation.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac said:

...third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners.

And I'm exploring the possibilities of you going and fucking yourselves.

haha - you got me with that one.

Nice.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ares42

If they have a game I really wanna play I don't give a fuck. I can buy it, play that game for a while and more or less forget about the console. I can see it being more of an issue if you have to pick one source for your gaming needs, but as a supplementary it really doesn't matter.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#30 FinalDasa  Moderator

I don't know how anyone can be for or against consoles that aren't in consumer's hands yet.

What if half the functions don't come out day 1 at launch, what if they don't work as advertised, what if the launch games turn into a launch window and don't come out for months?

I can't say I'm surprised some would jump on a bandwagon and argue vehemently for certain companies over others. But I am surprised how many jump to conclusions. How about we all wait and actually let the consoles come out and not decide based off of marketing campaigns?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bigjeffrey

I gots the internet

Fuck my friends they are assholes

I have not touched my Xbox in months besides changing disk. (Cabins?)

I like Video Gaems and the Exclusives MS has. I could play a next Gen Halo for years.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know how anyone can be for or against consoles that aren't in consumer's hands yet.

What if half the functions don't come out day 1 at launch, what if they don't work as advertised, what if the launch games turn into a launch window and don't come out for months?

I can't say I'm surprised some would jump on a bandwagon and argue vehemently for certain companies over others. But I am surprised how many jump to conclusions. How about we all wait and actually let the consoles come out and not decide based off of marketing campaigns?

I like you

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JazGalaxy

Xbox hasn't REALLY been revealed yet. It's impossible for one to have already made up their mind, I think.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Months ago, I decided that I would never buy another Microsoft product, and at this point--having heard about the future of Kinect--I literally could not be paid to use an Xbox One. Microsoft truly is made up of evil bastards, and J Allard knows this.

Aside from that, the only real (i.e. permanent) exclusives Xbox 360 ever had were the Halo, Forza, and Gears series, respectively, and (with the exception of Forza) they're nothing to write home about. If you've been paying attention for the last few years, you may have noticed that Microsoft ain't that interested in games anymore; they're interested in the music of Usher Raymond.

djhicks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By djhicks1

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. Who cares about their method of DRM? I don't steal, cheat, and I am the only person playing the console in my house. None of the crap Microsoft has said offends me.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Pretty sure I'm out. It's Nintendo and DRM Free PC gaming for me. PS4 if Sony don't fuck up on this issue, but I have my doubts.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By ajamafalous

D+E I guess? I dunno. I do 98% of my gaming on my PC, so the Xbone didn't sell me at all. My 360 hasn't been hooked up in something like four years now, but my PS3 is currently hooked up and I at least turn it on every couple weeks just to check PS+. Sony seems like they actually care about games and I like their exclusives significantly more (as opposed to Microsoft's... what... Halo? Gears? Forza? Oh man, haven't been interested in any of those since Halo 3/Gears 1).

Microsoft never really stood a chance for me.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djhicks1 said:

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. Who cares about their method of DRM? I don't steal, cheat, and I am the only person playing the console in my house. None of the crap Microsoft has said offends me.

Clearly a lot of people care. Most of these new policies wouldn't affect me too much, but that 24 hour check-in seems like a very shitty and anti-consumer policy. There's been more than a few occasions where my internet has gone out for several days and not even being to play offline in that circumstance is ridiculous. I think the thing that has really gotten people upset is all that is being lost with nothing worthwhile in return. None of this provides any advantage to the consumer.

Avatar image for chainreaction01
    chainreaction01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The direction Xbox One seems to be taking in terms of their policies is what's killing me. Specifically the way they are handling rentals or the lack of support for game rentals. At $60 a pop I simply can't afford to be getting new games and without rental services like Gamefly I wouldn't be playing nearly as many games. I'll have to see how it goes down the line but if they aren't as flexible as Steam when it comes to pricing, I can't afford to maintain using that system for entertainment. I hope that Sony doesn't go down this same road but, at some point, people like money and they want the thing that gets them more money. While publishers do have a large impact on these console policies in the first place they can't afford to be losing effectively half of their playerbase because they didn't get the DRM they wanted (Unless they suddenly turn to the WiiU but come on, let's be real).

Fair warning, after rereading this the second part gets a little ranty.

Still, I like a lot of the ideas that Xbox is offering in terms of combining all of these services. The idea of being able to have one device in front of my TV that can handle everything that I would want to do is convenient as hell. While Microsoft may be pissing off the core gaming audience, they sure as hell have a good chance of getting everyone else. They just have to hope that word of mouth doesn't end up biting them in the ass, and it probably won't in the long run. What I do know is that this is going to raise some really serious discussion about the ownership of digital media. If video games can get away with this without the law stepping in, I wouldn't be surprised to see other forms of media getting way more crazy about the way they combat piracy.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Depends on the games.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I can't believe I'm saying this the week before E3, 2013 .. but damn, I'm not touching these new consoles until I see some live-action reviews. What MS has said so far makes their console a non-starter for me. There is no way I will pay money to put up with the inevitable logistical nonsense it would cause for me. So PS4? Maybe? But they haven't said anything real about their DRM.

Bayonetta 2 would be cool but it would cost me $350. I don't see myself playing many other WiiU games.

Kind of a bleak outlook. Maybe Sony will do something cool.

CD Projekt is going to be at E3 so maybe we'll get some Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 info! I'm pretty excited to see some of that.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Fuck this, I'm out. (Your vote)

I wont even watch the conference now. Its just a waste of time since I will never buy the Xbox Uno with their sheer hatred for consumers

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
    CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will get the PS4 and if Xbox One has some cool exclusives I'll probably get a Xbox for that in a few years.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By Tarsier

ive been out since the ps4. i knew the next gen console situation was in the toilet already upon sitting through that briefing .. but im really excited for e3 to see the games that are going to be coming for PC as well. and crossing my fingers for some kind of 'steam box' whatever that means.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By spraynardtatum

@judgedread: I'm not watching it either. It has nothing of interest for me. I'm sure I'll be able to get most of the games they release on PC anyways.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Fable Halo & Gears have gone stale. I don't care about Bungie or Respawn's Lost Planet looking games. And no Xbox One game whatsoever is personal property, just a long term lease. All your games will be lost forever once Xbox 1080 is out.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#47  Edited By StarvingGamer

I was firmly on the PS4 side from the start by virtue of indie support and first-party games this generation, so "other".

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically you have 24 hours before you can't play games without connecting to the internet again, which is generally OK with me. The only non internet situations I can think of are gaming at a cabin in the woods or something, in which case there's better stuff to do. I LOVE the idea of not waiting on updates and always on allowing my machine to quietly take care of shit in the background.

The one MAJOR concern I have is rentals. I don't want to buy every game I'm interested in. LOTS of games just simply aren't worth my 70 bones, or they are only worth a weekend of gaming. If Microsoft offers me an online service, where I can rent games and download them all from within my home, and then once my time is done either buy the game or delete it from my Xbone... I will buy this system day 1 happily. If not and Microsoft is denying me the ability to rent games and basically telling me to go fuck myself and buy every game I want to try... Then go fuck yourself Microsoft.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite much of the games media furiously acting as Microsoft's devils advocate, naysayers have consistently been roughly correct about every negative aspect of that system, and I've been leaning toward Sony since the announcement of the Ps4. I can't think of any justifiable reason why I would buy the Xbox One at this point; it is restrictive, it is a less powerful system, it focuses on TV and I couldn't care less about that, the Kinect is completely out of my interest, Xbox Live is an increasingly ridiculous system, and on and on. I can't think of anything about that system that gets me psyched about it.

Granted, if the Ps4 comes out with equally or more restrictive systems, I'll hold off of purchasing one of them, too, and just focus on handheld gaming and buying up my backlog on the 360, and save money for when the newer systems get their shit ironed out.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a crazy plan called waiting for all the info the come out and maybe even wait for the consoles to come out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.