Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Looking for a good XBLA game suggestion

Avatar image for operationprometheus
    OperationPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So lately retails games have been seriously lacking, and even the games I already own just have been boring me. I need something new and exciting. I typically don't buy arcade games but I'm kind of in the mood for the unique type of gaming XBLA/PSN can provide with their games. So I'm not narrowing anything down yet, but I have really been considering Gotham City Imposters, Trials Evolution, and Awesomenauts? Has anyone here played any of these games? I'm not a huge motocross fan but I've heard trails is still really good. Would I still like it? And if you have any better recommendations what do you suggest? I just want something very fun to help pass my time.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dystonym

I haven't played it on XBLA, but I've played the PC version of Gotham City Imposters quite a bit. It's really quite fun. It's a fusion of Team Fortress 2 and Call of Duty. It has very similar levelling mechanics to Call of Duty and a lot of the weapons feel similar in terms of how the iron sights work and that kind of thing. Team Fortress 2 plays into it with the movement options. Everyone has a gadget such as a glider, a grappling hook, roller skates or spring boots that help them move around in certain ways. It's also got a similar support item structure to TF2 where you can buff your allies or debuff your enemies through a variety of gadgets and such.

I've just recently got an Xbox, so have been buying a bunch of XBLA things. Fez and Spelunky are two games that I would recommend to pretty much anyone I know. They are both absolutely fantastic. Deadlight just came out today and is getting mixed reviews but I quite like it so far, so maybe consider that too.

OperationPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah there are a lot of hidden gems in XBLA. I'm kind of leaning towards GCI and Trials because they both seem to be pretty deep games that provide a lot of replay value. I have heard great things about Spelunky but I also heard its really short so I am thinking I might pass on that till it goes on sale. Right now I;m trying to watch a bunch of reviews to hopefully help me decide.

1DER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By 1DER

Shadow Complex. Also most XBLA games have demos, so if it looks interesting give the demo a go.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CptBedlam

@1DER said:

Shadow Complex. Also most XBLA games have demos, so if it looks interesting give the demo a go.

this

Also: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Shadow Complex or Trials Evolution.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By hippie_genocide

I didn't really care for Spelunky all that much. Fez is really good though. Deadlight just released today which seems like Shadow Complex with Zombies from the videos I've seen. If you aren't sure about Trials Evolution you could always go with Trials HD, its probably a lot cheaper now.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#8  Edited By pyromagnestir

@1DER said:

In my opinion Shadow Complex is the best game on XBLA. Well, if you don't count Portal: Still Alive, because Portal is the best thing ever in my opinion.

OperationPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CptBedlam said:

@1DER said:

this

Also: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Already got Symphony of the Night.

@NoobSauceG7 said:

I really want to get Trials Evo but like I said I'm wanting opinions on whether I will like this game if I have never been a huge motocross fan. I mean everyone has said great things about it but I just want someone else's opinion. But the track creator looks awesome. And Gotham City Imposters catches my eye because I love that goofy type of shooter, but I don't want to buy a game that the community is starting to die in, so I am curious about the community for it.
    OperationPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hippie_Genocide
    Actually Trials HD is the same price as Evo. I just checked. Ridiculous, right? Who would buy the older version for the same price as the sequel which apparently improves on everything?
    Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Jaktajj

Deadlight came out today and I HIGHLY recommend it if you want something different.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By fox01313

Gotham City Imposters is a lot of fun though haven't been on in a while to see if anyone is still playing it. If nothing else Trials Evolution or Shadow Complex are good choices.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NoobSauceG7

@OperationPrometheus: I am not a big motorcross guy either but I really like Trails Evolution. If you have played Super Meat Boy, it is similar in the way it is difficult and you restart each track with ease so you can finish the track without a lot of faults (though not as difficult as Super Meat Boy imo). Lot of content and replay value and fun to beat your friends times. It is a blast!

OperationPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NoobSauceG7
    Thanks man! That was some helpful advive. Haha, but just as many people seem to be liking Gotham City Imposters lol. I'm just not sure which one to get right now. They both seem so fun. But I really appreciate everyone's input.
    NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NoobSauceG7

@OperationPrometheus: No problem. I am not ure how many people still play Gotham City Imposters since the release and if it is not balanced with a bunch of high level, experienced people but I thought that Imposters looked really fun when I watched the quick look and TNT that Giant Bomb did back when it came out.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By BaneFireLord

Trials Evolution is a lot of fun. Devilishly hard, but a lot of fun nonetheless.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BaconHound

I came in here to mention Shadow Complex, but since a few folks have already brought it up, I'll say Castle Crashers instead.

Bastion, Geometry Wars 2, and Renegade Ops are all excellent as well.

Edit: Of the games you're looking at, I'd go with Trials Evolution.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cubidog1

Every game mentioned so far rocks. Bastion and Castle Crashers are my favorite XBLA games, but it will take less than 10 hours to beat each game. I just kept replaying Castle Crashers at parties, even though it isn't a party game. Recently I've enjoyed Spelunky. It's hard as hell and I've died hundreds of times. There are also a plethora of secret levels, characters, etc. that make me feel like I'm never going to see everything in the game. I've spent more than 10 hours with it, and I haven't even beat the final boss yet. I haven't played Trials Evo and Gotham City Impostors, but I'd pick up Trials Evo first because of the user made maps I've seen on Youtube. I wouldn't pick up Gotham City Imposters because it seems too similar to TF2, which I can play for free. I am actually considering buying Awesomenauts on Steam right now. I played the demo on 360 though and died constantly when playing against other people. They were able to hit kill me in one hit. Now I feel discouraged from buying it.

ilovebees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ilovebees

Walking Dead

OperationPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BaconHound
    I actually own Castle Crashers and Bastion. Both amazing arcade games no doubt. And to all who are wondering, I bought Trials Evo and its downloading now. But let's keep the discussion going on what you're favorites are!!!!

@Cubidog1
    Let me know what you think of Awesomenauts because I am really thinking about getting that game as well if I feel up to it. There are so many hidden gems of gaming in the XBLA that its hard to think of which ones to buy! There are just so many!
    jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By jaycrockett

Trials Evolution is great, not normally my type of game but I enjoyed it.

Any multiplayer game on XBLA I'd be concerned about player population. But you should be able to see that from the trial.

Rez HD is my all-time top game on the platform.

BryanEgbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BryanEgbert

Trials is a great game. I tried Awesomenauts on the PS3 and it's pretty decent, but player population could definitely be a concern. The Splosion Man games are perfect for some weird, fast-paced fun.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By Sooperspy

Bastion is my all time favorite XBLA game. Its just perfect to me. And I would recommend The Walking Dead series if you like The Walking Dead comic, or would like to start getting into it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Justin258

Bastion, Outland, Trials Evolution, and Marathon Durandal for XBLA games.

For games that aren't really XBLA but aren't really retail either, there's the original Crysis (which despite looks is far from your average "FOLLOW" military shooter) and Resident Evil 4, which is often considered one of the best games ever made for a very good reason. Both are well worth your dollars and time.

OperationPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258

I love me some RE 4. I already have it on Wii so I have no need to buy it on Xbox. I love the Wii version. The controls just make the whole experience better than ever. One of my favorite games of all time. "Hello Stranger! He he he."
    El_Galant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By El_Galant

1. Shadow Complex 2. Deadlight

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I thought I'd be the first one to bring up Outland, but beat me to it.

Also, don't get Amy. Don't get Amy as a gift, don't get Amy as a joke, do not get Amy under any circumstances.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hippie_genocide

Not sure if you'd be into a slower paced game, but I'll throw my support behind 3 tower defense games - Defense Grid, Toy Soldiers, and Plants vs. Zombies

fantasyfreak07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By fantasyfreak07

I haven't played any of the games you listed but I would recommend The Walking Dead. Only two of the five episodes have been released so far but they have been excellent, especially the second episode. Castle Crashers and Scott Pilgrim are also great arcade games if you have some friends to play with.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dystonym

@OperationPrometheus: Spelunky isn't short. It's a roguelike. You can complete the game in 8 minutes but it will likely take you hundreds, if not thousands of tries to get to the end of it. It's totally randomly generated so you never see the same level twice. It's probably got the most replay value of any game I've seen on XBLA.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Trials Evolution, Dead Rising: Case Zero, Geometry Wars, Rock Of Ages, Super Meat Boy, Zeno Clash, Limbo, Rez HD, Trenched, Alien Hominid, Shadow Complex, Braid... There's too much good stuff on XBLA.

Chops037

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Chops037

For me the best thing about XBLA is that it allowed me to try out genres I'd usually ignore with full price games. With that in mind I've really enjoyed Defense Grid, From Dust, Trials HD/Evo and Greed Corp.

Other great games (as mentioned already): Shadow Complex, Super Meatboy, Limbo, Braid, Splosion Man, Fez, Lara Croft & TGOL, Pac-Man CE:DX. The Misadventures of P.B Winterbottom is also interesting, although it made my head hurt.

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By quemador

@NoobSauceG7 said:

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By Rafaelfc

Is The Maw still worth picking up at all?

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36  Edited By impartialgecko

Tre-sorry-Iron Brigade

Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By Picard

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

Not only is it my favorite game on Xbox live, it's one of my favorite games of this generation.

felakuti4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By felakuti4life

Fez and Bastion are both games you can really get into for hours. Trials Evo is, of course, a nuanced masterpiece, and it has some of the greatest user generated content this side of Little Big Planet. I found deadlight to be highly disappointing, but if you want a more literal version of the atmosphere and gameplay presented in Limbo, it's worth checking out.

OperationPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I picked up Trials Evo and I also just picked up Shadow Complex because everyone has said it is just so good that I could not pass it up. Lol there are so many Xbox Live Arcade games I want to get now but its just to much money.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#40  Edited By Hizang

Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, the best games on the XBLA

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Twiggy199

@NoobSauceG7 said:

These are brilliant games, maybe try Super Meat boy or Fez.

@el_tajij said:

Deadlight came out today and I HIGHLY recommend it if you want something different.

Definitely not this. The only game i ever regretted buying from XBLA, starts off great, then the game just gets stupidly irritating. It's also very short and not worth 1200 points.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Jaktajj
    @Twiggy199 it's worth it for the 'irritating' parts.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.