Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

WWE '12

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 22, 2011

WWE '12 is the latest edition in WWE's long-running wrestling game franchise previously known as "SmackDown" and "SmackDown vs. RAW".

WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW Becomes WWE '12, Remains a Wrestling Game

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

The writing's been on the wall for THQ'sWWE SmackDown! vs. RAW series of wrestling games for some time now, especially after last year's WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2011. Over the years, the gameplay had become stale, the features set got too top-heavy with interesting, but only sometimes enjoyable new modes, and the graphics engine felt stitched together out of too many disparate parts. This issue became even more incandescent after the release of WWE All Stars, an admittedly far more arcade-inspired game that nonetheless brought wrestling games back to their risible roots.

Perhaps sensing a sea change in the wrestling audience's tolerance for the usual rejiggerings of year-to-year releases, THQ made the audacious decision for its 2011 title to change... the title. Now re-monikered WWE '12, the series is also making some other adjustments in the realm of gameplay and design, according to a posted Q&A with longtime series Creative Director, Cory Ledesma.

Pictured: Wrestling.

Echoing the sentiments of most developers tasked with releasing a new product in a series every single year, Ledesma stated he was "pleased" with the overall reception to last year's title, but made it abundantly clear that there were a number of problems with the game. Specifically, the execution of the Road to Wrestlemania mode, and some other bugs and online issues that he felt held the title back.

Among the features and fixes he lists as new to this year's title:

== TEASER ==
    • An all new animation system that allows players to dynamically break up other players' moves mid-animation. He specifically cited John Cena's "Five Knuckle Shuffle" move, which can be interrupted mid-taunt.
    • A new submission system, titled "Breaking Point," where players enter into a new minigame to break up submissions, and also can now climb to the ropes to break out of holds.
    • Wake-up taunts, a la Randy Orton's fist-slamming taunt, where he dares a laid-out opponent to stand up, and then hits the groggy fellow with his finisher.
    • A new version of Road to Wrestlemania, which Ledesma says they "went back to the drawing board a bit" for.

Ledesma cites WWE '12 as a "true series reboot," though didn't offer up too many more details on what that actually entails beyond the info above, and a number of broad statements about "...adding new gameplay systems, completely overhauling gameplay systems and improving current gameplay systems." We do know that both longtime series developer Yuke's and THQ's San Diego studio are co-developing the title, and that Yuke's has been working behind the scenes on this new animation technology for a couple of years now.

We'll be sure to try and check out WWE '12 and its new gameplay systems, overhauled gameplay systems, and improved current gameplay systems at E3 next week, where a build of the game featuring four playable wrestlers will be shown. Based on the screenshots below, we're guessing Randy Orton and The Miz will be among the four.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

The writing's been on the wall for THQ'sWWE SmackDown! vs. RAW series of wrestling games for some time now, especially after last year's WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2011. Over the years, the gameplay had become stale, the features set got too top-heavy with interesting, but only sometimes enjoyable new modes, and the graphics engine felt stitched together out of too many disparate parts. This issue became even more incandescent after the release of WWE All Stars, an admittedly far more arcade-inspired game that nonetheless brought wrestling games back to their risible roots.

Perhaps sensing a sea change in the wrestling audience's tolerance for the usual rejiggerings of year-to-year releases, THQ made the audacious decision for its 2011 title to change... the title. Now re-monikered WWE '12, the series is also making some other adjustments in the realm of gameplay and design, according to a posted Q&A with longtime series Creative Director, Cory Ledesma.

Echoing the sentiments of most developers tasked with releasing a new product in a series every single year, Ledesma stated he was "pleased" with the overall reception to last year's title, but made it abundantly clear that there were a number of problems with the game. Specifically, the execution of the Road to Wrestlemania mode, and some other bugs and online issues that he felt held the title back.

Among the features and fixes he lists as new to this year's title:

== TEASER ==
    • An all new animation system that allows players to dynamically break up other players' moves mid-animation. He specifically cited John Cena's "Five Knuckle Shuffle" move, which can be interrupted mid-taunt.
    • A new submission system, titled "Breaking Point," where players enter into a new minigame to break up submissions, and also can now climb to the ropes to break out of holds.
    • Wake-up taunts, a la Randy Orton's fist-slamming taunt, where he dares a laid-out opponent to stand up, and then hits the groggy fellow with his finisher.
    • A new version of Road to Wrestlemania, which Ledesma says they "went back to the drawing board a bit" for.

Ledesma cites WWE '12 as a "true series reboot," though didn't offer up too many more details on what that actually entails beyond the info above, and a number of broad statements about "...adding new gameplay systems, completely overhauling gameplay systems and improving current gameplay systems." We do know that both longtime series developer Yuke's and THQ's San Diego studio are co-developing the title, and that Yuke's has been working behind the scenes on this new animation technology for a couple of years now.

We'll be sure to try and check out WWE '12 and its new gameplay systems, overhauled gameplay systems, and improved current gameplay systems at E3 next week, where a build of the game featuring four playable wrestlers will be shown. Based on the screenshots below, we're guessing Randy Orton and The Miz will be among the four.

cannedstingray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cannedstingray

woah , I don't believe it. I finally got the quest. 

On a side note, hopefully this will be good.

sam1am7000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By sam1am7000

Cool, a news post by Alex

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By winsord

These games have felt the same for so long, so even still I'm somewhat worried this will fall into the same trappings as those before it.

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By HumanityPlague

Can someone please put a bullet in Ledesma's head?  It's the only humane thing to do.  He's approach super douche-like levels, that only Noah Heller has attained.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By prestonhedges

"ridiculously risible"? ugh. "rejiggering" is totally fine, though.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By Danteveli

wwe 12 doesnt sound good

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#8  Edited By ImperiousRix

I was probably gonna pick up this year's SvR as it was, but I was certainly hoping they'd be doing an overhaul. 

Hopefully, it actually feels different/better this year, and all these additions aren't just a load of bullshit.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By crusader8463

I love the gameplay of these games, but I just wish they would work on the animations, netcode, customization options, and add in some kind of create a federation system so groups of people can make their own belts and ranking systems to fight in.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By buft

I really love wrestling games but im not a big wrestling fan, the problem is none have really sated my desire for full on piledriver pleasure since the N64

pkhilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pkhilson

WRESTLEFEST!!!

Zamir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zamir

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

DDTS AND STUFF! 

JustinAquarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JustinAquarius

SmackDown: HCTP and SVR06 are the best SmackDown games in the series. It all went downhill after SVR08.

ScionOfThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ScionOfThor

Well, hopefully they wont have hundreds of locked moves on this one like SvR 2011.  Cant believe you have to hack the game just to use a Lionsault...
    Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Arebuckle

I like the sound of this, but what I really want is a new Day of Reckoning. As far as I'm concerned it had the right balance of arcade and sim. A lot of the stuff they're introducing in this and stuff from the last Smackdown, was done before in any of the Gamecube WWE games. I still don't understand how all the great points of the GC games never made to the main series until recently.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By dagas

Not a wrestling fan but SvR 2010 is pretty good. It's the only wrestling game I have ever owned as a matter of fact.

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By PerfidiousSinn

I liked WWE All Stars, but I need this series to scratch my itch for terrible, half-finished wrestling games.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By MysteriousBob

Its about god damn time. Hopefully this is legit and not just marketing rhetoric.

Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Piranesi

Maybe if they modelled the characters on how "real" people move rather than their plastic toys it would work.  

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CL60

Never change GiantBomb. Bash a game before we even see it, when you didn't even like the other ones in the first place, and don't like wrestling at all.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By GoofyGoober

WWE 12, I hope they change that title.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

Annualized Wrestling game franchises are a thing

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @CL60 said:
    Never change GiantBomb. Bash a game before we even see it, when you didn't even like the other ones in the first place, and don't like wrestling at all.
    Jeff's always been quite into wrestling.. and even as someone who generally enjoys these games, the past few have only been getting worse and worse and the big new feature they're hyping here is something that was in other wrestling games last decade.  
    Frank_Mann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Frank_Mann
         What two grown men do in front of an audience of 30,000 is their own business. 
         What two grown men do in front of an audience of 30,000 is their own business. 
    Generiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Generiko

I want to believe this will be a good wrestling game, but being burned by the same company again and again I cannot. :(

Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
    deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Frank_Mann: If you're going to say that that is remotely sexual, then what you do on your own time is your own business.
    HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HydraHam
    @CL60 said:
    How exactly are they bashing?
    Vlad_Tiberius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vlad_Tiberius

Ever since Smackdown became "vs. Raw", the series went downhill.
    And the season/career mode from the very first Smackdown game was the best from the franchise.

Also, I hope "WWE 12" doesn't imply the age of their target customers.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By metalmoog

If they overhaul this engine and make smoother, faster and more fluid animations and gameplay and give me the 80's gold roster of the WWF I would be in heaven. Just take the rosters from WWF Superstars & WWF Wrestlefest redo them for today's consoles and release it please.

Max_Hydrogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Max_Hydrogen
    @crusader8463: You took the words right out of my mouth! I just wish there were a big enough market for a "Wrestler Maker" game. That's literally all I care about in wrestling games so you know how frustrated I feel with the VERY limited custom modes (SvR 2007 had the fine habit of randomly erasing my belts...) 

Obviously these games are marketed to current wrestling fans but it sucks when those who don't follow wrestling buy these games and have to deal with a roster of wrestlers unknown to them (who the fuck is The Miz anyway?)

Some people want to grow up and be wrestlers, others want to grow up and be bookers...
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crusader8463
    @Max_Hydrogen: I would kill for a generic no brand wrestling game that had a deep character maker, move set list, and even just the basic match types people want from a wrestling game. Then supplement it every 5-6 months with $20 expansion packs that add in 20-30 new costume items, a couple match types, 10-15 new moves etc. Throw in some Blood Bowl style system where people can make their own their own leagues and tournaments. Set belts or championship cup people can win and put on the line. 

One can dream.
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By laserbolts
    Well this has been well overdue. Hoping that this game turns out good. It's been a long time since I bought a wrestling game.
    k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By k9
    Avatar image for legendarychopchop
    LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been following this release for a while -- it's about time they made some changes to the formula.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By TheHBK
    @CL60 said:
    This is why Jeff should have written this.  Alex's condescending attitude always gets to me.  From the changes that I read about at Kotaku and not mentioned here, the game sounds promising and bringing it back to what was there when I loved wrestling games like No Mercy and the first 3 Smackdown games.
    Avatar image for zombiesatemycereal
    zombiesatemycereal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CL60: Alex doesn't like wrestling? Since when?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CL60
    @zombiesatemycereal said:

@CL60: Alex doesn't like wrestling? Since when?

i was talking about this community you know.. not Alex.
    Avatar image for zombiesatemycereal
    zombiesatemycereal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CL60: Sorry then, read into that wrong.  

Hope this game is good, at least they're trying to make it better. 
    ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ocdog45

I'll believe it when I see it.

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

#42  Edited By TadThuggish

This is not a reboot.  It will be just as lazy and bad as all other Yuke's products have been for the past six years, but will sell if you put Triple H on the cover "cuz he is da BOMB!!!"

Max_Hydrogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By Max_Hydrogen
    @crusader8463: Damn! We are of the same mind... I gotta learn how to make video games and makes this happen!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I always rent the latest Smackdown game but it always seems like for every improvement THQ makes two more problems pop up.  I wish another company would get the WWE license just to drastically shake stuff up.  That said it will be fun to have Daniel Bryan and Alberto Del Rio beat John Cena repeatedly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.