Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Hey it's a teaser for that movie!

• 57 results
    rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rorie

Full trailer on Friday, I guess. This movie's going to be really interesting; the move to summer of next year would seem to indicate that the studio has confidence in it, and I like Duncan Moon's stuff a lot. I suppose we're guaranteed at least one cringe-y joke about Leeroy Jenkins or Mankrik's Wife, but hopefully it'll at least be interesting. It's going to be interesting to see how the game's fans react; a lot of people are pretty weary of Thrall storylines [I GUESS IT'S ACTUALLY DUROTAN?]; surprised to see them not going for something more iconic like Arthas' downfall or Illidan busting out of prison. But I guess they have a lot of room for sequels if this does well.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I thought this would take place before Thrall's birth? Anyways, I've been following Jones on Twitter and seeing the teaser actually made me excited for the movie and hope it is actually good (loved Moon, liked Source Code until the rather confusing end). They also made announcements on Jones' next project MUTE which I totally forgot about.

Also

@rorie said:

and I like Duncan Moon's stuff a lot

Hehehehe

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

I'm glad they're going back to the beginning. The early lore in the series was pretty neat, and I'm assuming a lot of current fans have no experience with it (unless WoW did some summaries, I don't know!)

Looking forward to it. I hope it's as well-made as I expect. Some high-budget fantasy outside of LotR stuff is exciting, especially if they go with a darker tone than some of the stories out there that skew younger.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That sure looks like a modern day action film. I hope it won't be all style no substance.

effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just stylistically those shots seem to be way more in line with the Warcraft universe and aesthetic - especially WoW - than they are with a lot of other recent fantasy film/TV/etc. I don't really care about how this movie turns out but that's a pretty cool and impressive achievement on its surface

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@rorie: The orc in the movie is Durotan, not Thrall. This movie will be before Thrall is born, during the first invasion of Azeroth. Depending on how much time they cover, there might be a baby Thrall cameo at the end, but from what I've heard, I don't think this movie will touch upon the second invasion, probably wrapping up as the orcs flee back to Draenor.

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool. Never played WoW.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

I really liked Moon and Source Code both directed by the director of this movie, Duncan Jones, so I'm optimistic this movie will at least be not terrible.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Wemibelle

I know this thread is about the actual movie, but boy do I hate teaser trailers for other trailers.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Uh, looking at it a lot of those scenes look kinda cheap.

Tiamatsword22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks good for 15 seconds. I hope this doesn't get me back into WoW.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I know this thread is about the actual movie, but boy do I hate teaser trailers for other trailers.

It's all a master plan from the illuminati to strengthen the fire of HYPE CULTURE.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By LawGamer

1. I know it probably would have been absolutely, astronomically, impossibly expensive, but I find myself wishing that Blizzard had just done the whole thing as CGI. I've always thought their cinematics have been pretty good. On the flip side, I've always thought it looked kind of bad to mix live action with a lot of CG.

2. This reminds me just how surprised I was about the story direction for the upcoming WoW expansion seemingly focusing on Illidan. I had thought with the WoD time travel stuff and this movie being set way back at the beginning, Blizzard might have been angling for a total lore reboot. What with StarCraft wrapping up and the subscription numbers for WoW flagging it seemed like this might be the time to come out and say "Oh, hey. You know what would be cool? A modern Warcraft RTS game!" in order to get people excited again.

3. Kinda, curious . . . I guess, about this movie? I haven't seen a lot of previews for it. My gut instinct says it will be eye-rollingly stupid, but that might work if they go for the right kind of eye-rollingly stupid. If they try to make it Lord of the Rings, I think it might crash kinda hard. Definitely a hard-line to walk - they probably want to keep the darker tone of the RTS universe as opposed to WoWing it up, but they need a certain amount of inside references to keep the geeksfanboisnerds younger fans happy. If Duncan Jones can pull that off I will be genuinely very, very impressed.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ripelivejam

more like borld of bore braft (i don't know what i'm doing here)

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll go ahead and not jump on the hate train here ... these are the first images I see of that movie and (I realize this is just a fast-cut-teaser) it looks neat. Looking forward to the trailer.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I'm going to wait for the full trailer before making any kind of judgment, and even then I'd consider it too early to form a strong opinion. I'm already seeing people callout out Tomatometer scores based on the teaser. :P

Also, being really into JunkieXL's 300: Rise of an Empire soundtrack, I could recognise that tune a mile away. If you want to hear more:

Loading Video...

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Well there is a harvest golem and a signpost ripped straight out of WoW in what looks like Westfall.

I'm in.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked Moon and Source Code both directed by the director of this movie, Duncan Jones, so I'm optimistic this movie will at least be not terrible.

Ugh we all know this stop showing off. ;)

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sarnecki

@lawgamer said:

1. I know it probably would have been absolutely, astronomically, impossibly expensive, but I find myself wishing that Blizzard had just done the whole thing as CGI. I've always thought their cinematics have been pretty good. On the flip side, I've always thought it looked kind of bad to mix live action with a lot of CG.

I mean, it basically is. Only when you get closeups of humans you don't get the uncanny valley. It's win win.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

So, is Lothar in this? He's the only early Warcraft name I can still remember. That, and Grom Hellscream, though I think he was first introduced in a Warcraft II expansion. Man, I can still remember the days when I was super into Warcraft lore, back when I also used to actually play RTS games.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hope this does really well, I'm not really a big Warcraft fan, however, now that LoTR is over it would be nice to have another set of Fantasy movies to look forward to.

ilikeost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subwayd: Oh good, I was scared the music was from the Warcraft soundtrack, not that the song is bad but it doesn't suit Warcraft at all in my opinion.

ilikeost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ilikeost

@yummylee: Yes, Lothar is in this movie and so is Hellscream. This movie is basically telling the story of Warcraft 1.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RazielCuts

They're just copying Lord of the Rings.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

They're just copying Lord of the Rings.

Yeah, that was my thoughts exactly, especially after seeing that opening shot of someone jumping on a Griffin.

noval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uuuh am I alone in thinking that some of that CGI looks a tad... bad? Well it's difficult to tell from such a short teaser with fast scenes and there's still a lot of time to polish things up a bit. I'm still vaguely optimistic since I've loved Duncan Jones stuff so far. pleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuck

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I like fantasy, and I would love to see more good fantasy films, so I'm rooting for this. I'm not so sure about the Warcraft lore though. Maybe this is just my unfamiliarity with the material speaking, but to me Warcraft's story always came across like Lord of The Rings if LOTR were a 90's comic book, and I do mean that negatively. There's a dude named Hellscream. Am I totally wrong about that? I hope I'm wrong.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zirilius

@ilikeost said:

@yummylee: Yes, Lothar is in this movie and so is Hellscream. This movie is basically telling the story of Warcraft 1.

Yeah I highly doubt we'll see anything remotely related to modern World of Warcraft. It will be nice to see if they flush out more of the story of Warcraft 1 cause other then some scrolling text there isn't a whole lot there.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Honestly, that trailer makes this look like an animated movie with how much CGI there is.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Moon. I like Source Code a lot less, but it's neat. I'm concerned this is going to be another case of a respectable lesser known director getting a massive project shoveled on them and studios taking real control. We'll see.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

1. I still don't believe this is happening
    2. If it does, there better be a scene with characters playing hearthstone (even if it's just in the background).
    Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Naoiko

I really hope the do focus on the orcs a good deal. Cause, orcs are pretty darn cool. Also, the teaser looks great!

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naoiko said:

I really hope the do focus on the orcs a good deal. Cause, orcs are pretty darn cool. Also, the teaser looks great!

My understanding of what they are trying to do with the movie is to make the Orcs the antagonists without making then evil and should have a major presence in the movie. Ogrimm is to play a major role in all of this.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ilikeost said:

Just 1? Or Both 1 and 2?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: Just 1. There is a lot of story stuff that happens after the events of one. The novels the movie is drawing from consists of the events of WC1, then the follow up novel covers WC2 and it's expansion area.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takayamasama: Wait, you mentioned the movie wrapping up with the orcs fleeing back into Draenor, but didn't the orcs win in WC 1?

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

WAR...

IS...

CRAFT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: True that they do, but I'd imagine they can't end the movie with the survivors of Stormwind fleeing to Lordaeron and the Orcs just pillaging the southern human settlements, especially if they plan to do a sequel (which I imagine they do, Hollywood and all that), so my guess is they will lightly bridge into the start of the Second Invasion, when the Stormwind Survivors and Lordaeron military push the Orcs back through the Dark Portal. Then the last line of the movie can be the iconic "We will return" spoken by Orcs as the portal looses power. Anything else would feel like a weirdly non-resolved story, since the Orcs don't actually get stranded on Azeroth until after the Second War.

This is all speculation though, lord knows how much of it will be trying to tell a story from the lore, or if it'll just be fantasy violence for 2 hours with only 3 humans and 2 orcs being named here and there. I'm interested to see though! I may not like what WoW has become, but I still adore the deeper Warcraft lore.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Optimus Prime voicing Orgrim Doomhammer, pffft.

Loading Video...

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

\/ \/ \/ we are simpatico.

Looks good for 15 seconds. I hope this doesn't get me back into WoW.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Hmmmm. Ok. That was definitely a teaser trailer for a movie.

I'm not feeling very optimistic about this but then again I have no idea what to expect either.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, they actually made Stormwind pretty faithful to the game. You can see the Mage Tower in the distance, and the entrance is almost exactly like it is in game, with the exception of the statues not being there, not that they SHOULD be there anyway, since the events of Warcraft 2 haven't happened yet. Oddly enough, this stupid trailer makes me feel REALLY nostalgic, just seeing Stormwind, the Harvest Golem in the background in that Westfall shot, and even the brief glimpse of the Orcs running through what I assume to be Dun Morogh makes me wish that I could go back to when World of Warcraft was new and I was playing it for the first time, discovering all of these places and their nooks and crannies.

Uh, yeah, so despite the fact that I'm sure the movie will suck, and despite the fact that it looks like it's going to be 90% CGI, I'm totally going to see it.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't aware they're dialing all the way back to Warcraft 1 for the story. Just assumed there'd be either 90 seconds of exposition or a text scroll before turning into WoW insanity. I don't really have any interest in the movie but that's kinda neat.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it extremely disconcerting that this is the movie that will either define or destroy Duncan Jones' directing career.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#46 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Just some random thoughts after watching this...

From that little tidbit of video this looks like it could be a big, dumb, enjoyable fantasy movie. And I've kinda been in the mood for a big, dumb, enjoyable fantasy movie.

I like the Warcraft lore and all, but I'm not super tied to it, so of they don't follow it 100%, that's fine with me. Blizzard being Blizzard though, I'm sure it will follow pretty closely.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't expect this to turn into the massive "nonsense" that WoW is, since like mentioned already when this was first announced, this isn't "World of Warcraft The Movie", but just "Warcraft". Granted, for the last ten years and more, WoW has been the only big Warcraft related thing out there, so I suppose you can't really blame some people for thinking this'll be directly related to the game.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Meh, I think they really needed to try to tie more practical effects into that. Sure its is just a few seconds of footage, but it looks super "green screen" in all the effects.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just some random thoughts after watching this...

From that little tidbit of video this looks like it could be a big, dumb, enjoyable fantasy movie. And I've kinda been in the mood for a big, dumb, enjoyable fantasy movie.

I like the Warcraft lore and all, but I'm not super tied to it, so of they don't follow it 100%, that's fine with me. Blizzard being Blizzard though, I'm sure it will follow pretty closely.

Blizzard can't even follow their own lore. Remember when Dranei became playable? Fucking space people???? Uggggggggh

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oddly I see no signs whatsoever of Medivh. Considering he was essentially the catalyst for everything that occurred from Orcs and Humans on, I have to assume he makes an appearance at some point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.