Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Blizzard just gave me Mists of Pandaria for free

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By maskedarcstrike

Haven't played since Cata but I just got an e-mail with a code for Mists of Pandaria for free from Blizzard. They also sent me a code for a free mount called Heart of the Aspects in the same e-mail. It's some golden dragon looking mount, it's a pretty cool looking mount actually. Looks legit with no strings attached.

Anyone else get this? I've heard of other people getting Mists for free but haven't really heard about anyone else getting the mount.

edit: Thanks OBAMA

2nd edit: Thought I'd put the e-mail I got up top

No Caption Provided

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

Did they also send you a convenient link to batttles.net?

I haven't read an email from "Blizzard" in 10 years even though I get 2-3 of them everyday.

I would go to wow's proper website and log into your account, any legit offers should be sitting there waiting for you.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidavenger: LOL wtf I tried logging into battle.net and it said "This account is locked due to Suspicious Activity". WTF I haven't even played Diablo 3 in months.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

A friend of mine got all of the expansions free awhile back, or I think they were all free and Mists was $5.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EXTomar

That sounds fishy because "Heart of the Aspects" that is supposed to be a "Blizzard Store" mount for $25US/E20. Those mounts and pets are vanity items that are "bread and butter" for Blizzard and they wouldn't be giving those away for free at the risk of alienating old players who spend cash for it.

As a double check, I did look at official and semi-official sites and didn't see anything to indicate they were doing anything special. In fact their latest news is another new mount for $25US/E20.

I'd be cautious and highly skeptical about this. Although I fully expect Blizzard to announce either the expansion or the whole game going free at Blizz-con they wouldn't do that now or give away store mounts.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@extomar: It's legit and it's from Blizzard.com, I reset my password and they fucking locked my account again for no reason. This is really fucking weird.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EXTomar

That means someone got your bnet account/password and purchased the expansion and mount. Blizzard is pretty quick on the bans if they notice you live in Rhode Island but suddenly you login and make a purchase from Shanghai. You may want to check your CC to see how much stuff they bought.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gotten a lot weird emails from Blizzard about my account in games like World of Warcraft, even though I've never played the game, so I wouldn't necessarily assume it's legit even if it says Blizzard.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jdh5153

@extomar said:

That means someone got your bnet account/password and purchased the expansion and mount. Blizzard is pretty quick on the bans if they notice you live in Rhode Island but suddenly you login and make a purchase from Shanghai. You may want to check your CC to see how much stuff they bought.

They often do send out stuff like this, but I guess this one is fake:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900641151?page=33

Definitely recommend getting an authenticator app. I've never had the slightest issue with my BattleNet account.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Many parts of this sound suspicious.

I like that no one ever tries to hack my shit, because the only newer Blizzard game I've played is Starcraft II, and that's the one recent Blizzard game where your account really has nothing of value.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EXTomar

Oh expert jdh5153...since when? They have never given WoW to get people to play WoW again. There have been discounts tied to events (buy this and get that free) but never has Blizzard given away a game or store items to get people to play a game again.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jdh5153

@extomar said:

Oh expert jdh5153...since when? They have never given out games for free to get people to play them. There have been discounts tied to events (buy this and get that free) but never has Blizzard given away a game or store items to get people to play a game again.

They have. Just a few months ago they made Cataclysm and WoTLK free for people who subscribed after playing the free trial. I've also known people who haven't played for years and Blizzard gave them the expansions free.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500259 just one example of many.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: I just got it sorted out and had my password changed and the codes worked, both for Mists of Pandaria and for the Heart of the Aspects mount.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: I just got it sorted out and had my password changed and the codes worked, both for Mists of Pandaria and for the Heart of the Aspects mount.

Nice! Now get an authenticator.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@jdh5153: This promotion came with no strings attached, they gave me a weeks worth of playing time for free. Maybe someone used a scroll of resurrection on me? I dunno I've had it happen before with my old GM but I remember the e-mail saying that someone used a scroll.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dacnomaniac

I like how this thread went from 'YAY! FREE SHIT!' to 'AH SHIT!'.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EXTomar

@jdh5153 said:

@extomar said:

Oh expert jdh5153...since when? They have never given out games for free to get people to play them. There have been discounts tied to events (buy this and get that free) but never has Blizzard given away a game or store items to get people to play a game again.

They have. Just a few months ago they made Cataclysm and WoTLK free for people who subscribed after playing the free trial.

Oh expert jdh5135, you surely remember they rolled the licenses up because it was becoming a giant conflict maintaining different subscription levels across expansions? But since you are an expert you would know that after Cataclysm released there were 4 different licenses, tied to at least four races, at least one class, across at least three different "areas" with various degrees of their own restriction. So they collapsed all licenses down to just two "classes" so that anyone can play with any race in any starter area without running in a "you do not have access to this" warning.

So in the end, this is not giving the game away but making the free introduction/trial functional. jdh5135 just forgets things so I shouldn't be too harsh.

Back to the topic, the Scroll of Resurrection program is a legitimate way to return which you receive 1 level 80 character, 1 free character move, "Cataclysm", and 7 days of subscription time. I believe the contact email is pretty specific on what is going on. In particular the one receiving the invite wouldn't get the mount offered in the program let alone any store mount like "Heart of the Aspects"

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: Here's what the e-mail looked like

No Caption Provided

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EXTomar

@jdh5153 said:

@maskedarcstrike said:

@jdh5153: This promotion came with no strings attached, they gave me a weeks worth of playing time for free. Maybe someone used a scroll of resurrection on me? I dunno I've had it happen before with my old GM but I remember the e-mail saying that someone used a scroll.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1306188-Blizzard-giving-away-Mists-of-Pandaria-for-free

It's a legit promotion. Still get an authenticator.

Sorry for the double post but you are a moron. Why not go to http://www.battle.net/wow/en instead? Or maybe the main page of http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/ would surely run that because that would be huge news instead of a random forum post! Or even more general sites like Massively. Or maybe an announcement on the official forums or even one of the official Twitter accounts....oh wait it isn't there....I wonder why...*ponder*

They do periodically send out emails to battle.net accounts that do not have a WoW subscription a "Hey you can get the trial account for free!" but that isn't the full game either.

That said as I wrote before I will not be surprised if they do turn either the game or "Mists" out for free announced at Blizz-con (along with 5.4 content and 6.0 plans). Right now it doesn't seem to make sense because if they wait till 5.4 which is "the turn" in the whole "Mists" story line along with the setup for the next expansion then that would be a better moment to capture returning old players than now where nothing is happening.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jdh5153
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: my parents always told me that I was special :)

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jdh5153

@maskedarcstrike said:

@extomar: my parents always told me that I was special :)

If you care to find out for sure that the deal is legit, post the routing header here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9234983528?page=1#4

Blue post has said they do occasionally offer deals however they won't confirm it without seeing the router header.

No Caption Provided

Here's another e-mail:

Here's another thread: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/534914-world-of-warcraft/66357159?page=1

It's not news because it's not a mass offer, but targeted and directed to very specific people. Like I've said, I've seen legit e-mails like these with my own eyes and have watched people redeem them for example, my friend got a free Battle Chest and Mists for $5 after playing the free trial.

Faythinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Faythinator

@extomar: Don't know what you're on about. I got one of these emails with a free upgrade to Cataclysm, and I assure you, I have the full Cataclysm expansion on my account, since I played through all of it to get to Mists.

EDIT: Came with 7 days free too, which was not a trial account but 7 days of sub for my existing account.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Take your password and run.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@jdh5153: There's a thread on gaf about it also. But that dude only got MoP.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EXTomar

*sigh* People don't understand. Nothing has changed about the the way Blizzard does WoW. This is all old stuff they've been doing for months now where suggesting they are suddenly giving away stuff for free is not true. This is the same "pass" everyone who buys the box copy can give out to friends.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Bollard

Blizzard giving you a game that requires a subscription fee for "free?" WELL COUNT ME IN.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@extomar: I don't understand why you're being such a dick about this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.