Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

In Memoriam: Coby Caird and Oscar Something

willwithskills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By willwithskills

So I've been playing Valkyria Chronicles lately, and old release I've always been intrigued by. Now that I have a PS3, I finally bought it and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I'm at around chapter 7 or 8 I believe, and I was cruising through with no casualties (plenty of injuries, though. I can't count how many times poor Wavy has hit the floor.) But then, during the mission early on when you have to stop Maximillian's huge tank, it happened.

The battle was already frantic enough, and many of my characters had already fallen under fire from the many turrets along the tank. Luckily, I had been able to save them all before death could take them. Eventually I was down to around four or five troops with only one lancer left, not bothering to call in reinforcements because only lancers mattered anymore and they were all incapacitated except the aforementioned one. I was desperately trying to destroy the last radiator when Selvaria, one of the enemy commanders, burst on to the scene with a weapon like no other, capable of killing with a single glancing hit. At this point, I already knew it was too late.

I had left Coby the shock-trooper and Oscar the sniper sitting there near where Selvaria entered, and almost to quickly to fathom they had both dropped unconscious. I clinged to the hope that one of my troopers could make it over them before death embraced them, but Selvaria was too quick, running over to their bodies and putting them out for good. I balked at the screen. I thought I would never have to lose any troops, especially not like this. But the cold, impersonal message box that said they had died in action told me otherwise. I flashed back to all the other games in which every little soldier became something important to me, the clear standout being XCOM.

Giving each soldier you command a name and a personality unlocks some sort of deep caring that can't be shaken. It could be because that, unlike story characters, their lives are completely in your hands. If they die, they're gone forever. And for that reason, I felt a great sense of loss and Coby and Oscar breathed their last breath. I vowed to never let it happen again as I solemnly wrapped up the mission without another casualty. For now, all I can do is inscribe their names onto this blog post so they shall never be forgotten.

R.I.P. Coby and Oscar. They shall be missed, even though Oscar was kind of a crappy sniper anyways.

willwithskills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By willwithskills

So I've been playing Valkyria Chronicles lately, and old release I've always been intrigued by. Now that I have a PS3, I finally bought it and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I'm at around chapter 7 or 8 I believe, and I was cruising through with no casualties (plenty of injuries, though. I can't count how many times poor Wavy has hit the floor.) But then, during the mission early on when you have to stop Maximillian's huge tank, it happened.

The battle was already frantic enough, and many of my characters had already fallen under fire from the many turrets along the tank. Luckily, I had been able to save them all before death could take them. Eventually I was down to around four or five troops with only one lancer left, not bothering to call in reinforcements because only lancers mattered anymore and they were all incapacitated except the aforementioned one. I was desperately trying to destroy the last radiator when Selvaria, one of the enemy commanders, burst on to the scene with a weapon like no other, capable of killing with a single glancing hit. At this point, I already knew it was too late.

I had left Coby the shock-trooper and Oscar the sniper sitting there near where Selvaria entered, and almost to quickly to fathom they had both dropped unconscious. I clinged to the hope that one of my troopers could make it over them before death embraced them, but Selvaria was too quick, running over to their bodies and putting them out for good. I balked at the screen. I thought I would never have to lose any troops, especially not like this. But the cold, impersonal message box that said they had died in action told me otherwise. I flashed back to all the other games in which every little soldier became something important to me, the clear standout being XCOM.

Giving each soldier you command a name and a personality unlocks some sort of deep caring that can't be shaken. It could be because that, unlike story characters, their lives are completely in your hands. If they die, they're gone forever. And for that reason, I felt a great sense of loss and Coby and Oscar breathed their last breath. I vowed to never let it happen again as I solemnly wrapped up the mission without another casualty. For now, all I can do is inscribe their names onto this blog post so they shall never be forgotten.

R.I.P. Coby and Oscar. They shall be missed, even though Oscar was kind of a crappy sniper anyways.

Spacemuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Spacemuffin

You should use more guns.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

That tank is a beast. I've also returned to Valkyria Chronicles lately, playing the last couple days. I'm on Chapter 15, and some of those battles get pretty intense. 

I haven't had anyone die yet though, like Fire Emblem, I refuse to let anyone go.

willwithskills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By willwithskills

It does seem pretty difficult to actually let anyone go down. (Possibly speaking too soon, I'm on chapter 12) 
    The only way in which I see losing someone is an enemy running over to their body while they're unconscious. And yes, it is very hard to see your beloved characters kick the bucket, whether they are actually useful or not.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By GunstarRed

I wouldn't let any of them die. I think the tank mission was the first time I let one of them got fully knocked out. I risked everything running one little dude with glasses over to some girl to save her. stupid drill-sword-one-hit-kill-thing!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.