Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 10, 2016

Naughty Dog charts treasure hunter Nathan Drake's final adventure in the fourth entry of this action-adventure, swash-buckling saga.

The Last Of Us Factions vs Uncharted 4 multiplayer beta

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

I've been playing The Last Of Us multiplayer pretty consistently since release, at first on PS3 and then transitioning over to my PS4, so I was pretty excited to take part in the Uncharted Open Beta this weekend. In previous Uncharted games the multiplayer was something I was happy to flirt with, though rarely felt focused or engaging enough to distract me for any meaningful length of time. I've always preferred multiplayer with some kind of objective beyond "Hey, shoot that guy!", and while Uncharted online led to some pretty crazy cinematics, the gameplay rarely resulted in anything more than a huge clusterfuck.

The Last Of Us, by contrast, is a much more thoughtful and fragile experience.

Ammo is sparse, and the pace is slow. Every player is equipped with the Listen Mode/detective vision from the campaign, so if anyone is moving around in the immediate vicinity you can spot them through a wall. But by now everyone knows how this system works, so players are much more cautious, remaining still until the enemy approaches so as not to be spotted, or using perks and silent weapons so as to become completely invisible. The result is a much more tense and precarious back n' forth, where losing an ally is a significant blow and you need to make your bullets count. Each playstyle is enforced by both weapon loadouts and perks, which are picked at various levels with relative advantages. So if your loadout has 25 slots you could get level 1 stealth, which means you don't show up on the enemy radar. Or you could sink in more points to get level 3 stealth, which means you can't be marked either. But those extra points you spent mean you can't now afford your favourite rifle. I always appreciated the precarious balancing act that the system employs, so it's nice to see it pasted over into Uncharted.

No Caption Provided

Having said that, this is definitely not the same game, and some of the series trademark chaos is back in play. While enemies are definitely less spongy than in previous Uncharted multiplayer games, the patience of The Last Of Us is nowhere to be seen. The game hints at silenced weapons, though none appeared in the beta, and the use of sidekicks and mythical abilities means there's almost always something loud happening onscreen. Each is purchased through an ingame store, as in TLOU, though primary weapons are no longer upgradable to increase reload speed, rate of fire, etc. An abundance of ammo means you no longer have to be stingy with your bullets, and the range of weapons is suitably varied, though their extravagance leans heavily towards RPG's and assault shotguns over frontier rifles and crossbows. Sidekicks, NPC's that you can spawn and position, also help to mix up the gameplay. The Sniper will spot enemies and take periodic potshots, the Brute is a huge tanky motherfucker with a gattling cannon and does exactly as you'd expect, while the Triage is your support 'kick, reviving downed enemies and increasing the recharge rate of abilities for players within the immediate vicinity. My favourite though is the Hunter; think of the Scout from Team Fortress 2, a speed-demon who will rush straight at enemy players and grab them - while he won't damage them, they are incapacitated for a few seconds, just long enough for any allies to get in the appropriate shots. The hunter is pretty squishy, but great for flushing players out of cover, and some of the best gameplay moments from the past weekend are a direct result of racing through the map after a hunter, wielding a shotgun, and watching players panic as we dash straight towards them.

No Caption Provided

I was a little put-off by the totems that you can plant in the map when I first saw them, but the reality of their impact on gameplay is that they're about map control. You're unlikely to actually die to one, even if it lands on top of you it's not too difficult to roll away (though more difficult under fire, obviously), and the totems work best as a way of flushing enemies out of cover and pushing through a stalemate. In combination with the sidekicks you can get into some pretty wild situations. 5 vs 5 means a potential 5 brutes in play at once, and as a rule of thumb you want to avoid running into a brute blob. But a blob is the perfect target for a totem - you can see how the dynamic of each match can be easily manipulated.

No Caption Provided

The main other new gameplay feature was the rope swinging, which is fun, though the physics are pretty erratic. Things like "momentum" and "gravity" don't really apply, which makes it slightly difficult to target the best trajectory of anyone you're trying to shoot. There are a couple of maps where it's possible to spider-man from one hook to the next, though the game occasionally gets confused and re-attaches you to the one behind you. Despite this, it continues to push you forward on a fresh burst of momentum. The rope also seems to increase and decrease in length based on where you're swinging. "Clunky" is a pretty good description in general, actually. Though it's admittedly satisfying when you nail a mid-air instakill by landing on your target.

No Caption Provided

If The Last Of Us had any flaws it was with its microtransactions. Only half the guns in the game were available for custom loadouts, the rest of which had to be bought individually or could only be accessed through pre-set loadouts (which, after you've played for any length of time, are unanimously dismissed as garbage). From what I can see in the beta of Uncharted 4, all of the guns were unlocked based on player level, the highest being at level 9. I got to level 6 with two days of playing, so it doesn't look like they're going to be out of your hands for long. There are skins, taunts and, this being 2016, hats that you can either buy directly with real money, or chance upon by opening chests with in-game currency. As these are all entirely superficial, I'm pretty happy with this system, though I do wish they'd go a little deeper with their customization options. Hopefully in the full game there'll be a bigger selection of skins and characters from which to pick, because right now most of them seem limited exclusively to tuxedos. Considering the multitude of outfits each has worn over the course of the series, that seems like a bit of a missed opportunity. Having said that, Uncharted 3 let you run around as a skeleton, so maybe there's still hope....

In summary, it was comfortingly positive. I'm hoping there's some more objective-based gameplay modes beyond Team Deathmatch, but the groundwork is definitely there, and the net-code seems to hold up nicely as well, even between my brother and I, each playing on opposite sides of the planet. It's a lot more frenetic than The Last Of Us, which is more focused on stealth and positioning, though that's not necessarily a bad thing, and I'm looking forward to jumping back in when the game is finally released.

Thanks For Reading,

Love Sweep

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's hard to say from the beta since it's only deathmatch, i really enjoyed the co-op multiplayer in the second game. Never could get into it much past that, I thought the last of us multiplayer was actually pretty good, but i hated the core game so much i never bothered with it much.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Humanity

I played about two to three matches of this on the day it became available and didn't really feel too compelled to play any more of it. It's a competent third person shooter with some gimmicky kill-streaks added on to, rather unimaginatively, keep up with the times. Reminds me of Tomb Raider that had an entire competitive multiplayer mode, which was entirely serviceable if not completely unnecessary. The game sure does feel like Uncharted for better and worse, seemingly not really adding all that much to the core mechanics apart from that grappling hook which feels adequately cumbersome. I hesitate to say the movement feels bad. Uncharted always had a sense of weightiness to it that I eventually got used to for each new release but never really enjoyed. It's not the sort of movement that you pick up and immediately feel at home with, and it seems that Uncharted 4 does nothing to mess with the formula. Which is good I guess, because they should stay true to their core fanbase which probably enjoys it, but in my case it continues to be something I begrudgingly have to get used to like a pair of shoes that feel uncomfortable every time you put them on, and only begin to feel fine after you've worn them for an hour or so.

I'm going to get Uncharted 4 for the single player spectacle, and probably play an hour of the multiplayer before moving on as it's always been with Uncharted games for me.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LeStephan

Am I crazy? the movement and shooting felt WAY tighter than what I remember from the last of us or the other uncharted games. And I actually had a lot of fun with it and I normally dont enjoy multiplayer shooters. The combination of climbing and jumping around while shooting was really fun and frantic imo. The only 2 things that annoyed me where the melee attacks, had a lot of times where they didnt connect properly while I felt they should. And the shooting without aiming is bloody bullocks, I even had my character shooting toward THE SCREEN when my reticule was clearly on something in front of me. (I could even recreate it 90% of the time. It has something to do with your character facing toward toward the camera and aiming slightly off the centre of the screen when something is at most a few meters away from your character. Could get fixed.)

Also everyone playing was really bad? I consistently got in first place every time and I rarely play TPS games (especially online) I did notice people barely using the level geometry to their advantage which seems to be a pretty big thing.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Great writeup, Sweep. I never tried the multiplayer in TLOU or Uncharted. Maybe I'll have to give it a go com May.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5 sweep  Moderator

Am I crazy? the movement and shooting felt WAY tighter than what I remember from the last of us or the other uncharted games.

You're not crazy, it was definitely a lot tighter, and there's definitely a push to get players attacking from cover which didn't exist in the last uncharted. That will be the Last Of Us influence.

Yeah the other thing I really hope they address is the matchmaking. I know right now it's a stress test so they just want to load as many people in as possible, but The Last Of Us suffered horribly from putting level 400+ players up against obvious newcomers. This was helped by the "No Party" playlists, but it's still far from ideal.

@humanity said:

I hesitate to say the movement feels bad. Uncharted always had a sense of weightiness to it that I eventually got used to for each new release but never really enjoyed. It's not the sort of movement that you pick up and immediately feel at home with, and it seems that Uncharted 4 does nothing to mess with the formula.

I know what you mean, it definitely feels slidey, but I've always felt that about uncharted games. The payoff is that you get a much more athletic and agile set of targets to shoot at.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I absolutely do not like the gameplay in uncharted's multiplayer and I think last of us factions has one of the best in recent years. The beta didn't make me feel any different, sadly.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TLOU multiplayer is still pretty much the best multiplayer available for the ps4, which is kinda sad but also shows how good the orginal game was

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I loved the Last of Us multiplayer, but the addition of all the pay-to-win microtransactions over time was a real disappointment. I hope they stay away from that in Uncharted 4, but somehow I doubt they will.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sparky_buzzsaw: Last of Us Multiplayer was really good until they started patching it, Uncharted 4 looks a bit better than previous competitive renditions; though hopefully there's a co-op mode considering the one in 3 is the best for any shooter other than maybe Bulletstorm.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By clagnaught

I never played Uncharted's multiplayer, but I spent maybe 60 hours with The Last of Us's modes. I would say TLOU has my favorite multiplayer ever.

I only played Supply Drop a couple of times (mostly by accident), but Survivor and Interrogation were both excellent. A lot of the reasons I liked it were some of the things you mentioned. The vast majority of people who ran around gunning people down would get destroyed by the opposing team, so stealth, tactics, loadouts, teams, and familiarity with the game and the maps really mattered. Precision still mattered since it was a third person shooter, but there was a lot more to it since you had guns with like 6 bullets.

From what you've said, it sounds like Uncharted 4's multiplayer will have some potential.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.