Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Disappointment......

fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By fossas

man, i just got around to playing and finishing uncharted 2, and gotta say, kinda let down. First of all, there has to be something im missing in the combat. i would die at LEAST 10 times a level. other than that, i DONT LIKE ELENA. sure its supposed to be like a sort of comeback from the first game, but damn. I would have much preferred Nathan stay with Chloe than the annoying blonde elena. Lastly, no matter who much i try, i cant get into a multiplayer game. it always says syncing and connecting, but then always pops up an error. 

So tell me, What am i missing? What concept have i not grasped in the combat? What hidden depth in the story am i missing?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Undeadpool

Well without knowing HOW you play the combat, I can't really say what you're missing. It's cover-based, so stay in cover and go for headshots. Try to remain mobile, going from cover-to-cover, as enemies tend to attack where you last were. 
    The multiplayer might just be dead, the game is over two years old, or it might be a faulty connection on your side. I never really got into it, so I can't say. 
    Nothing anyone can possibly say will ever make you like a character that you don't care for, so I can't really do anything for you there. Overall, the game just might not be for you.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

What difficulty are you playing on? The combat is all about patience. Analyze the situation and when you do you should know when people are going to pop up or run at you. I almost never used the hip fire or blind fire. Also if you are going to run at people make sure they are the only ones or close to the only ones left and hit them with a combo.

Also I don't know what to say about the story. I thought the characters and story were fantastic and am really excited for Uncharted 3.

fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By fossas

whenever i would stay behind cover for any period longer than 5 seconds, enemies would throw grenades, making me exposed to their bullets while trying to find more cover. when i was on the train sequence, enemies would just randomly drop down behind me from the roof and kill me with 1 shot from a shot gun. Either way, i still really appreciate your help.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ShaneDev

I died quite a few times playing as well. I liked Chloe much more than Elena and the multiplayer thing happens to me as well kinda kills my want to play the multiplayer when I have to sit staring at that screen for five minutes.

Darksnughero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Darksnughero

I agree, I didn't like her much either and thought the combat was sorta lame, generic.  But I turned my video settings all the way up and tuned the audio just for that title and found the adventure great.  

Didn't really pay any attention to the little things, just the big scenery and the atmosphere.   Reminds me of Indiana Jones movies.   Had to watch Temple of Doom afterward. 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I thought Elena was better than Chloe.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By landon

Elena is my favorite character. Stop playing it wrong.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By imsh_pl
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " I thought Elena was better than Chloe. "
    Ditto.

Also the game's kinda old, so I'm not really surprised you can't find a multiplayer game.
    fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fossas

its not that i cant find a game, its that it doesn't even begin to look for a session. it pops up something like error loading models or error getting ticket

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By zero_

Google the error message?

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By metalmoog

I too enjoyed Chloe much more than Elena but found nothing wrong with Uncharted 2. I think it's the best game I've ever played this generation.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Cube

Uncharted 2 was great. I don't know how you keep dying. It's got a cover system.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Red

Chloe's more of a fling gal, and Elena's the kind that Nathan would stay with after the series. 

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Akeldama
    @Undeadpool said:
    " Well without knowing HOW you play the combat, I can't really say what you're missing. It's cover-based, so stay in cover and go for headshots. Try to remain mobile, going from cover-to-cover, as enemies tend to attack where you last were. The multiplayer might just be dead, the game is over two years old, or it might be a faulty connection on your side. I never really got into it, so I can't say. Nothing anyone can possibly say will ever make you like a character that you don't care for, so I can't really do anything for you there. Overall, the game just might not be for you. "
    "What's a cover system?"
    02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 02sfraser

I think it's a improvement on this first and a great action packed shooter but I know what you mean. I feel like if you've played the first, you've pretty much played the second as well. Multiplayer was kind of cool but I wasn't really wanting to play more after about 5 games. Great game and technical achievement but perhaps overly hyped.

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By onlineatron

I really hate to be this arrogent, narrow-minded and pig headed but...  

DON'T LIKE ELENA? GTFO! 

RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RockAction

I just finished it and am similarly disappointed

its a spectacular game, and obviously the best looking etc and usually i don't like generic storylines / characters but i really enjoyed the indiana jones nature of it 

however the main disappointment was the controls and combat, everything felt very loose and floaty, especially climbing and movement in general, and i didnt care for the halo-like combat scenarios where they try to stretch the game out by having another wave of enemies come at you

it wasn't a game breaker, but there were some cheap deaths

overall though i enjoyed it and am thinking about playing through again if PSN still isn't up

i dont think it was over hyped for me, its certainly an achievement that should be played by anyone who has a ps3 but i wish the core mechanics were tighter rather than the game looking prettier

looking forward to uncharted 3
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By killroycantkill

I found the developers thought that their control systems were better than they actually were. Game was fine, but not good enough for the situations they put you in. Also last quarter of that game sucks pretty hard.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By PerryVandell

Well, it depends on the difficulty you're playing on. If you were playing on a harder difficulty, well, that's your answer. If you played on easy or normal, then it's about staying in cover and knowing when to shoot, when to move, and when to hunker down behind a slab of concrete. As for not being able to join a multiplayer game, it's important to realize the game is around two years old now and many people have probably moved on to a different game (like Killzone 3). Uncharted 2 just might not be the game for you, which is fine. All that matters is that you gave it an honest shot.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By laserbolts
    Just picked this up today. I'm reading a lot of negative comments about the game in this thread. Has it aged really badly? Should I still give it a go? I love video games so I thought I would like this. Or maybe I should stfu and just play it?
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I played Uncharted 1 and 2 recently and didn't much care for them. Then again, I didn't much care for Portal 2 so my tastes in games may be slightly unconventional.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By laserbolts
    Oh and I forgot to ask should I play the first uncharted first? Or does it matter that much?
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#24  Edited By beargirl1
    @laserbolts said:
    Oh and I forgot to ask should I play the first uncharted first? Or does it matter that much?
    apart from Elena's return, i don't think there's anything from the first game that's required to enjoy UC2. although, you should play Uncharted 1 just because it's an entertaining game
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By laserbolts
    Alright thanks for the info I'll probably run out and get the first one now. It's super cheap I think they even give them away with controllers now or some shit.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By JasonR86
    @DanHammett said:

man, i just got around to playing and finishing uncharted 2, and gotta say, kinda let down. First of all, there has to be something im missing in the combat. i would die at LEAST 10 times a level. other than that, i DONT LIKE ELENA. sure its supposed to be like a sort of comeback from the first game, but damn. I would have much preferred Nathan stay with Chloe than the annoying blonde elena. Lastly, no matter who much i try, i cant get into a multiplayer game. it always says syncing and connecting, but then always pops up an error.  So tell me, What am i missing? What concept have i not grasped in the combat? What hidden depth in the story am i missing?

I don't know how you played the game so I don't know why you died 10 times a level.  It isn't an easy game on normal but it's not particularly hard either.  What happened that made you die so often?

Why don't you like Elena?  You said she's annoying but why is she annoying?  Give some examples.  It's hard to comment on that criticism if you don't explain it.

The multiplayer is down because the Playstation Network is down.  Once the network is up you should be able to get in to a game.

There is no real depth to the story.  It is pretty simple really.  It's just deliver really well and has a lot of cool set pieces.

Edit:  Oh, this is old.  Well, disregard the whole Playstation Network thing.
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By laserbolts
    The psn was not down when he created this thread.
    X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By X19
    @DanHammett said:

What concept have i not grasped in the combat? 

Blindfire with pistol then punch enemy, simple.

cant get into a multiplayer game. it always says syncing and connecting, but then always pops up an error.

Which country you live in? 

rudyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rudyarr

the fact that you don't like that enemies throw grenades to take you out of cover means you should either be playing this game on easy or not at all. The game wouldn't be much fun if you could just stay in one spot the whole time and kill the enemies, where is the fun and thrill in that? Also when you said when you were trying to use melee you would die, would  you by any chance be trying to do that with 5 guys around you? I mean logically do you think you could punch a dude in real life with 5 guys around you loaded with Ak-47's and survive?

I really enjoyed the game and a lot of complaints I always hear are that the game is generic and borrows everything from every other game. If you take a look at a lot of games don't they all borrow stuff from each other? Do you think gears of war invented the cover system? 

Enjoy the story and if you don't like the cinematics of the game or gameplay it definitely is not your style. No worries man there are many video games I am sure  you will enjoy :)
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Grissefar

I don't know. The only explaination I can give is that you are an, how should I put it, incorrect person. One might even say you are a wrong person.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.