Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Sep 16, 1985

Ultima IV is a seminal role playing game focused on the protagonist's moral journey rather than defeating a nemesis.

Brush Up on History, Grab Ultima IV Without Spending a Dime

• 78 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    Ultima Online was the series' last grasp of air. The idea of a proper sequel's been teased for a while.
    Ultima Online was the series' last grasp of air. The idea of a proper sequel's been teased for a while.

It must be confessions week here at Giant Bomb for me, as I'm forced to admit I've never played an Ultima game before. I have my reasons, chiefly that I didn't own a PC until 1994, when DOOM II came out.

Before that game, almost all of my gaming was done on the NES and SNES. Ultima had largely come and gone at that point, with Ultima VIII: Pagan arriving the same year.

Maybe it's time to time travel, as Good Old Games revealed today Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar is now available for...free. Slowly, Electronic Arts seems to be stoking the flames of Ultima nostalgia, which would suggest the publisher is leading towards some sort of announcement eventually.

Ultima IV was actually released in 1985--the same year I was born!

Looking over the profile page for Ultima IV can cue a bought of depression, though, since the developer was Origin Systems. We all know what EA has since done with that name. Sigh, sigh, sigh.

Still, credit where credit is due. Ultima IV is online, ready to download, and you don't have to pay a thing.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

It must be confessions week here at Giant Bomb for me, as I'm forced to admit I've never played an Ultima game before. I have my reasons, chiefly that I didn't own a PC until 1994, when DOOM II came out.

Before that game, almost all of my gaming was done on the NES and SNES. Ultima had largely come and gone at that point, with Ultima VIII: Pagan arriving the same year.

Maybe it's time to time travel, as Good Old Games revealed today Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar is now available for...free. Slowly, Electronic Arts seems to be stoking the flames of Ultima nostalgia, which would suggest the publisher is leading towards some sort of announcement eventually.

Ultima IV was actually released in 1985--the same year I was born!

Looking over the profile page for Ultima IV can cue a bought of depression, though, since the developer was Origin Systems. We all know what EA has since done with that name. Sigh, sigh, sigh.

Still, credit where credit is due. Ultima IV is online, ready to download, and you don't have to pay a thing.

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By guthwulf

Nice

JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By JackG100

Maybe they're going to remake Ultima ONline, the best MMO ever.

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By babylonian

Wait, Ultima? What is that? I, BENJAMIN PACK, have no idea what that is.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By louiedog

While you're there you might as well grab the other free games that they offer as well.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Can somebody explain how to play Ultima in general? I've tried several times before, but it always ends the same way: I have no idea what I'm doing and, realizing that I probably didn't make much progress (not that I can tell), I quit.

ZeroCrescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ZeroCrescent

GOG kind of had to release it for free, since EA previously offered it as a free download for years. It would be pointless to charge for it, since most of the the people who would have been interested probably downloaded it before, and the people who didn't get to it earlier would just complain if they tried to charge for it. 

As for Ultima IV, it may be worth checking out. This is when the series switched from the generic "stop the bad guy (and go to space for some reason)" to something more original. Ultima IV saw the creation of the virtues religion, and the Avatar's quest to become a sort of messiah figure that embodies all virtues.

albedo12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By albedo12

Released the year you were born? You know what was released the year I was born? Pong. I feel so old......

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @patrickklepek said:

Sometimes I feel like maybe we sigh to much over studios and brands.  

I can't verify, but I kan't help but think the people behind such an advanced franchise of videogames had the chops to get new (and awesome) jobs. Often nothing is better for an industry or an individual than a big re-shuffle. In the end, Origin like all the rest, is just a brand-name and maybe it's closure did more good than harm for the industry, gamers, and the individual who (possibly fearfully) had to move on. 

I put the Ultima franchise almost at the top of the list when it comes to franchises that have shaped, changed and innovated what videogames are today - they might just be THE top. 

(Sorry about the K. I just watched the MK Colection QL, made the typo, corrected it, then said fuck it and uncorrected it)
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @JackG100 said:

You know as well as I do that a UO remake can never be. 
    That game existed before (possibly created?) "THE GRIEFER" and no multiplayer game of today (aka: 10 years ago) will ever be able to grant you the freedom that game did ever again. 

Sad? Yes. 
    True? You know it is.
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By louiedog

Predictably, this is not available on EA's Origin service. I mean, what sense would that make?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#12  Edited By BeachThunder
    @louiedog said:

While you're there you might as well grab the other free games that they offer as well.

Yup; especially Beneath a Steel Sky and Tyrian, both of those games are amazing.
    GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GreggD

@louiedog said:

Predictably, this is not available on EA's Origin service. I mean, what sense would that make?

Because GOG's deal with EA is specializing in the old stuff from their catalogue. Of course EA's not going to compete with GOG, since they're the ones modifying the games to work properly, and it's probably in their contract.

knightlyknave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By knightlyknave
    I have my reasons, chiefly that I didn't own a PC until 1994, when DOOM II came out.

Oh Patrick, so young. . . so young.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By BoG

Great news. I've really wanted to try my hand at some ancient CRPGs. I feel like I've missed the earliest decades of gaming, but have no way of accessing them. I'm downloading Ultima IV as we speak!

anzejk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By anzejk

YEAH! I was born in 1985, man. I don't think there's a lot of us in here, but I hope I'm wrong.

revengecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By revengecat

Was excited to see this, until i saw that it required setting up an account with gog. how lazy (stubborn?) am i?  I loved Ultima games. Not sure I ever played this one though.  Steam, please spoon feed me free classic games. Thanks.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By prestonhedges

Eh, I've never played an Ultima game either, except Martian Dreams, and only because that one features steampunk space ships and Sigmund Freud counseling aliens on Mars.

I hear the fourth one is the best one, though, so that's alright.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By OldGuy
    @Video_Game_King said:

Can somebody explain how to play Ultima in general? I've tried several times before, but it always ends the same way: I have no idea what I'm doing and, realizing that I probably didn't make much progress (not that I can tell), I quit.

Well... That's Ultima IV for you... it is a really slow starting game...

1) You really need to hunt down the documentation since this is before the time when how to play the game is given within the game. Here.
    2) Be prepared to spend a lot of time talking to everyone and making detailed notes (for several hours) before you figure out where you need to go and what you need to do.

@Albedo12
    The year I was born Spacewar! came out. :-)
    Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20  Edited By Raven10
    @Video_Game_King: If you are playing Ultima IV, your goal is to become the Avatar. To do this you have to follow a ridiculous set of rules never explained by the game. For example you have to flee from enemies that aren't considered evil, like snakes and such. You also have to collect a bunch of artifacts and eventually reach the Stygian Abyss and defeat the evil dude. I would highly recommend using a guide if you want to get anywhere as playing the game like a normal RPG will just waste your time.
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By louiedog

@GreggD said:

@louiedog said:

Because GOG's deal with EA is specializing in the old stuff from their catalogue. Of course EA's not going to compete with GOG, since they're the ones modifying the games to work properly, and it's probably in their contract.

Plenty of publishers have old games that don't run on modern hardware available on GOG and other services as well. Any idea where I can read these specifics of EA's deal with them that are different? I'm curious to find out more.

Anyway, my comment was more about how EA took the name Origin for their distribution service and you can't even get this free Origin Systems game on it.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By skrutop

I won a little league trophy that year!

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Von

Umm.. Ultima IV has been free for a very long time on various legal sites dedicated to Ultima and/or retrogaming. The last time EA themselves were involved was with the launch of ultimaforever.com, which happened earlier this year if memory serves me right. 

Sadly I bet that most GB users who download it will give up rather shortly since the Ultima games does not hold your hand or direct you to what you are supposed to be doing when you first set out. A lot of the charm of those games was to figure that out for yourself (with a little help from the manual, maps and history books that usually came with the games), but in modern time this method is, granted, a bit archaic for most gamers.  If you manage to complete Ultima IV on the other hand, then Ultima V awaits... and that one's truly massive. Also, utterly and insanely great. ;)

TimmyChaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TimmyChaw

Sweet, I was born in '85 too. Seems to be the year that spawned a ton of gamers.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By matoya

Try posting a link. That might be a good idea

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I was born in 89, and even I know this game.  You have no excuse!

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gike987
    @OldGuy said:
    @Video_Game_King said:

Well... That's Ultima IV for you... it is a really slow starting game...

1) You really need to hunt down the documentation since this is before the time when how to play the game is given within the game. Here.
    2) Be prepared to spend a lot of time talking to everyone and making detailed notes (for several hours) before you figure out where you need to go and what you need to do.

@Albedo12
    The year I was born Spacewar! came out. :-)
    You usually don't have to hunt down any documentations because a digital version of the manual and other extras are always included with GOG game.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BoG
    @Von said:
    Umm.. Ultima IV has been free for a very long time on various legal sites dedicated to Ultima and/or retrogaming. The last time EA themselves were involved was with the launch of ultimaforever.com, which happened earlier this year if memory serves me right. 

Sadly I bet that most GB users who download it will give up rather shortly since the Ultima games does not hold your hand or direct you to what you are supposed to be doing when you first set out. A lot of the charm of those games was to figure that out for yourself (with a little help from the manual, maps and history books that usually came with the games), but in modern time this method is, granted, a bit archaic for most gamers.  If you manage to complete Ultima IV on the other hand, then Ultima V awaits... and that one's truly massive. Also, utterly and insanely great. ;)

Do you know if those resources are available digitally? I imagine things are much tougher without the maps and books.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I'm 26 and what is this?

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By freakin9

That's Mah baby!

Ultima 4, maybe the only RPG I truly loved.

I don't think I ever actually finished it, but damned if I didn't make my own map for the game.

steevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By steevl

I actually played the NES version of this game on a rental 20-something years ago and loved it. On the other hand, I had no idea what I was doing and was basically playing it completely wrong.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By umdesch4

Oh wow! I spent a ridiculous amount of time playing this on the C=64 when it came out. I seem to remember getting stuck for several days, only to (much later) discover that there was some kind of bug that would cause the red stone to not appear where it was supposed to be, and that was the last major thing I was supposed to find.

Yeah, I had pages and pages of notes too... ;)

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BoG
    stupei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By stupei

Patrick is a younger YOUNGER than me?

Wow. Way to make me feel like I haven't done anything with my life...

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By OldGuy
    @gike987 said:
    You usually don't have to hunt down any documentations because a digital version of the manual and other extras are always included with GOG game.
    True... most of the other versions out there (heck, there's one you can play in your web browser via flash for crying out loud) did mean that you needed to make sure you gathered your docs... Of course in this day and age it needs to be emphasized in the strongest possible terms that you must dig them out of the download package and actually read them if you want to have a hope of not being totally lost (only mostly lost) when you start the game. :-)
    trlbaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By trlbaron

You were born in 1985? Jesus Klepek, you're a goddamned baby.

sephirm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sephirm87

@GreggD: if EA's Origin started giving away free stuff, then people would start to expect free stuff from Origin in the future. EA can give out the game for free (they own the rights) and not have to use up bandwidth.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By tourgen

wooHoo!

and FYI, GOG.com has manuals, maps, spellbook, hint book etc all for download alongside the binary. As usual. GOG does it right guys.

JackG100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JackG100

@ProfessorEss said:

@JackG100 said:

You know as well as I do that a UO remake can never be. That game existed before (possibly created?) "THE GRIEFER" and no multiplayer game of today (aka: 10 years ago) will ever be able to grant you the freedom that game did ever again. Sad? Yes. True? You know it is.

There was griefing for sure, but that's what made the game EXCITING! Where's the excitement in todays MMOs? "Are we going to wipe due to player X not doing his job properly... and lose.. precious... time?!"... man, todays generation of gamers is such a sad affair... I miss Uo pre-trammel-days.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BoG
    @tourgen said:

wooHoo!

and FYI, GOG.com has manuals, maps, spellbook, hint book etc all for download alongside the binary. As usual. GOG does it right guys.

I wish I would have figured this out before scouring google. Oh well. I can use my Android as a reference if necessary.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#41  Edited By ArbitraryWater

That's... great? Ultima IV is from an era that even I have trouble dealing with, in that any or all information is found in extraneous documentation. Certainly, it's an extremely important game, and certainly it should be given credit where credit is due, but that doesn't mean I'm capable of playing it. I'll wait for them to release Ultima VII, I guess.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Bout not bought
    . .....
    ultimate VII was still pretty popular in 94

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Ultima sorry damn droid

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Shady

I wonder if they'll release Ultima IX for free.

I really hope they don't do that.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ravenlight

Can we expect an Endurance Run of this game, then?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By GreggD

@sephirm87 said:

@GreggD: if EA's Origin started giving away free stuff, then people would start to expect free stuff from Origin in the future. EA can give out the game for free (they own the rights) and not have to use up bandwidth.

Yes, there's that, too.

@louiedogsaid:

@GreggD said:

@louiedog said:

Plenty of publishers have old games that don't run on modern hardware available on GOG and other services as well. Any idea where I can read these specifics of EA's deal with them that are different? I'm curious to find out more.

Anyway, my comment was more about how EA took the name Origin for their distribution service and you can't even get this free Origin Systems game on it.

I wasn't saying that I necessarily had the documentation, but one would assume that this is the case, considering they do have Origin, now. If your company had their own service for DD of your games, would you sign a deal with a store/company that deals exclusively in old games, and then go on to release said old games in your catalogue on your own DD service? Wouldn't the point of it all be lost, and subsequently your ability to say "And now, exclusive to Origin, the entire Ultima series, plus these EA classics!"?

risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By risseless

Such nostalgia! No internet to look up solutions when you got stuck -- figure it out yourself or don't progress. This was the game that got me hooked on RPGs.

risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By risseless
    @Shady said:
    I wonder if they'll release Ultima IX for free.  I really hope they don't do that.
    Perish the thought. What a horrible game to end the series with. Hands down the buggiest game I've ever played.
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By Dagbiker

Im younger then you, and i owned an apple II when i was 4. i would play the wizard and the princess.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Nottle

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.