Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Trine

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jul 02, 2009

Trine is a fantasy 2D side-scroller for PC and PlayStation 3 that lets you switch between three different characters to solve puzzles and find treasure.

Should I buy Trine?

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By face15

It's currently 50% on PS+ so I'm thinking I'll get it. The only reason I'm hesitating is that I'm getting Fallout 3 tomorrow (all the DLC is free at the moment) and I'm wondering if it's worth the $8 for something I'll probably only play tonight then never even finish. It got me thinking about the value of downloadable games; so first, should I buy Trine? but more importantly; how do you view the value for money of these small downloadable games? 

Personally, I realised that it costs me less to buy a game that'll give me like 5 hours of fun than it does to buy lunch everyday. Put that why it seems like a great deal, but I'm still kinda hesitant; it's weird.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zithe

I got it for $5 during some Steam sale a while back and I definitely got my money's worth. I'm not sure how well the game controls on a console, though. I really like what they did with that game. The wizard adds a LOT to the platforming aspect of it. Really neat.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Raymayne

No, it's crap, and pointless impulse buying like that on stuff you'll barely play is one of the most common ways gamers waste their money. Be strong.

AngelKore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AngelKore

It depends on what sort of gamer you are, really. If you like puzzle games, sure as hell go for it. Brilliant game in that aspect, but is $8 really going to strap your cash for your Fallout 3 purchase?

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By face15
    @AngelKore: It's not really the concern of the money for Fallout, it's just that when I get Fallout tomorrow I'll probably just move on from Trine and never play it again. I'm just kinda interested in seeing how everyone else feels about this kind of situation.
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zithe

The more I think about this, the more I question its ability to handle well on a console. I'm not sure how they even do it. I would say hold off and wait until it goes on sale on Steam again.

Also, to the value question, I would say that if a game holds my attention for 1 hour per dollar spent, I generally consider that a success. Of course there is also the whole quality vs quantity aspect, so it's kinda difficult to answer briefly.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By face15
    @Zithe said:
    "if a game holds my attention for 1 hour per dollar spent, I generally consider that a success."  
    That's another interesting angle on it. Put like that downloadable games are way better value value for money than big AAA disc releases, cause it's pretty fucking rare for me to spend 108 hours with a game (yep, Australian).
    mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By mau64

I guess if you are looking into it you must be interested in games of its type. It's fun, you should play it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike
    @Zithe: Last time it went on sale on Steam, it was $4. Just wait until the next Steam sale, it'll probably be $4 or less again.
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zithe
    @MB:  Ahh, maybe it was. I bought a lot of games during that killer sale so it's hard to keep them all straight.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By mike
    @Zithe: Whoa I totally replied to the wrong person...I meant that to go to face15. Oops.
    02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By 02sfraser

I bought Trine at full price on PSN and loved it. If you buy it and don't play it right now because you have Fallout 3 at least you have it in your collection for a good price when the inevitable gaming drought happens. I would say you go for it

sambi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sambi

Absolutely! Trine's visual presentation (and gameplay) is very unique.

At 5$ cost many games seem tempting, but you really should do a bit of background check before buying any games (I say this now after buying over 100$ worth of cheap games on Steam).

And please support Finnish game development ;).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.