Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tony Hawk: SHRED

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

Tony Hawk: SHRED is the successor to Tony Hawk: RIDE, a peripheral-based, motion-controlled skateboarding game. SHRED introduces a snowboarding mode to the series, as well as Xbox 360 Avatar support.

3,000 copies in its first week?

• 80 results
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By JJOR64

They definitely need to take a few years or and go back to the old roots of the series.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#52  Edited By Hailinel
    @Kyelb22 said:
    " They made a sequel to Ride? I thought that game did poorly enough that Activision would finally let this franchise die (Oh, wait. I forgot Activision's business plan is to make as many sequels as possible until they close to developers because the game didn't sell.) "
    Maybe Activision just needed an excuse to sell off all of the excess skateboard peripherals that didn't sell with Ride.
    null_subject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By null_subject

This kinda makes me sad. I remember when the third Tony Hawk came out. I would go to the movie theatre, and they would have one of those skateboarding arcade games where you stand on a skateboard and swing left and right to steer. I hated those games so much. I always told my friends not to waste their money on those, that the Tony Hawk games were so much better.

And yet here we are...

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By ravensword

lol, that is like Delgo Box Office numbers.
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Th3_James
    @Laketown said:
    " @Rayfield said:
    "
    Awesome brah! Shred is wicked cool! Excuse me while I go hang myself in my basement dude! Wooo!
    Awesome brah! Shred is wicked cool! Excuse me while I go hang myself in my basement dude! Wooo!
    "
    why? he's still fucking rich "
    If I were in his position I would have done the same thing. He sold out, but that's not something to frown upon. There were years of awesome Tony Hawk games that progressed the genre and made a significant impact on gaming, and skating. 

Making millions from selling out, and having a few good games come out of it is pretty awesome IMO.  

The cash cow had a long life and was milked to death. Though the milk may have gone sour, there was once good milk.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By Red

Man, not even my Development house sold so bad when it was starting out.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Tony Hawk needs to go back to the arcade like settings it had in 1-3.
    I liked the timer on the levels giving you a chance to go out searching for the letters or the secret tapes and maybe grab a score challenge if you were lucky.
    That, and the free roam oh here's a challenge thing.

Combine it, and it'll be great.
    Skate kinda kicks TH's ass ten ways to sunday, so they better make it worthwhile or just quit.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By scarace360

Man i wish that game was good and had awesome skate board motion controlls cause that would be crazy.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By awesomeusername
    @extremeradical said:
    " @awesomeusername said:
    " @Pink_o_mat said:
    " What will be the next annual franchise to bite the dust? My money's on Whatever Hero! "
    Yeah, I read the latest Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock Sold hardly 100,000. Activision is living off of CoD. "
    And everything made by Blizzard. Starcraft II has probably sold pretty well, and World of Warcraft continues to be completely unstoppable.  But yeah, the Activision part of Activision Blizzard is making most of its money on Call of Duty. There are other games, mind you, but they don't sell half as well and they aren't annualized either. "
    Forgot those 2. If Blizzard wasn't with Activision, they'll be dying right now. Every franchise they have will have will start SHREDding to pieces soon. (Sorry for the bad pun.)  But yeah, none of their other games get much marketing. They throw a commercial and ad here and there but don't do much. One day, Activision WILL fall. One day.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By Scooper

It feels like skateboarding games begin to stop being popular when I stopped skating. I'm pretty sure it's a direct link.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By mrfizzy
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " wtf is tony hawk Shred? "
    this, honestly had no idea another Tony Hawk game was out...
    kyelb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By kyelb22
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Kyelb22 said:
    " They made a sequel to Ride? I thought that game did poorly enough that Activision would finally let this franchise die (Oh, wait. I forgot Activision's business plan is to make as many sequels as possible until they close to developers because the game didn't sell.) "
    Maybe Activision just needed an excuse to sell off all of the excess skateboard peripherals that didn't sell with Ride. "
    Activision couldn't have seriously thought Ride would sell. I mean, come on, how many people do you know who wants to give up the precision of a controller to stand on a plastic skateboard without wheels and push against the ground? I think that they must've thought it would work because they pulled it of for the music genre that they thought they could do it for skateboarding as well. the thing is, before guitar hero, you already saw people air guitaring, so the game just filled in the game, but did anyone ever see someone air-skateboarding?
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By Skald
    @awesomeusername said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    " @awesomeusername said:
    " @Pink_o_mat said:
    " What will be the next annual franchise to bite the dust? My money's on Whatever Hero! "
    Yeah, I read the latest Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock Sold hardly 100,000. Activision is living off of CoD. "
    And everything made by Blizzard. Starcraft II has probably sold pretty well, and World of Warcraft continues to be completely unstoppable.  But yeah, the Activision part of Activision Blizzard is making most of its money on Call of Duty. There are other games, mind you, but they don't sell half as well and they aren't annualized either. "
    Forgot those 2. If Blizzard wasn't with Activision, they'll be dying right now. Every franchise they have will have will start SHREDding to pieces soon. (Sorry for the bad pun.)  But yeah, none of their other games get much marketing. They throw a commercial and ad here and there but don't do much. One day, Activision WILL fall. One day. "
    I forgive your bad pun because your avatar is GIR. 

Anyway, it's important to remember that these big companies are not our friends. They are in it to make money. Activision's habit of running successful game series into the ground is, if nothing else, quite profitable. It would be nice if they got some comeuppance though. 
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By awesomeusername
    @extremeradical said:
    " @awesomeusername said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    " @awesomeusername said:
    " @Pink_o_mat said:
    Forgot those 2. If Blizzard wasn't with Activision, they'll be dying right now. Every franchise they have will have will start SHREDding to pieces soon. (Sorry for the bad pun.)  But yeah, none of their other games get much marketing. They throw a commercial and ad here and there but don't do much. One day, Activision WILL fall. One day. "
    I forgive your bad pun because your avatar is GIR.  Anyway, it's important to remember that these big companies are not our friends. They are in it to make money. Activision's habit of running successful game series into the ground is, if nothing else, quite profitable. It would be nice if they got some comeuppance though.  "
    That'll be very nice. Plus, what about Gir?!? He's awesome!
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By clarke0

Tony Hawk Sh... what? That shit exists? I thought Tony Hawk was dead for sure after the disgrace that was Ride.

Sucks that this series has been run to the ground in such a shameful fashion, but that's what Activision does. Happened to TH, Guitar Hero, and inevitably it will happen to Call of Duty.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By MisterChief

Good.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#67  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Wait a minute. You think 3000 copies of the sequel to Tony Hawk's Ride is bad? That's way more than I ever would have expected...

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By jasta
    @PenguinDust said:
    " @stinky:  No, there's a pretty entertaining commercial on air where I guy "shreds" with his entire house.  But, TH piqued with #3 ages ago and it's been (excuse the pun) all downhill since.   The peripheral being broken-out-of-the-box doesn't help the franchise any.  If they want to fix the franchise, in my opinion, they need to go back to the basics in one sense and make it less about skateboarding if that makes any sense.  Maybe something like InFamous but the way you get around is by skateboarding, however that's not the focus of the story. 

"
    If I could stand on the board and use it to toss my mates around the room, then fly my house off the edge of a cliff I just might consider a bargain bin buy in the near future.
    MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By MisterChief
    @PenguinDust said:

" @stinky:  No, there's a pretty entertaining commercial on air where I guy "shreds" with his entire house.  But, TH piqued with #3 ages ago and it's been (excuse the pun) all downhill since.   The peripheral being broken-out-of-the-box doesn't help the franchise any.  If they want to fix the franchise, in my opinion, they need to go back to the basics in one sense and make it less about skateboarding if that makes any sense.  Maybe something like InFamous but the way you get around is by skateboarding, however that's not the focus of the story. 

"
      Hey man, you just fucked up your Ferrari
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By HandsomeDead

This is the most tragic thing. I remember a time when Tony Hawk was one of the games I would look forward to all year.

Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Pink_o_mat
    Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Pink_o_mat
    @awesomeusername:  Well, the CoD numbers say otherwise. But I agree, one day everybody will be tired of CoD as well. Some reviewers expressed some sort of "been there, done that" towards Black Ops.
    Avatar image for deactivated-60339640361ae
    deactivated-60339640361ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I saw a pile of these at a store and thought they were trying to get rid of their Ride stock... But it was a new jankyass board peripheral Tony Hawk? I had no idea this game even existed.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By FritzDude

To the developers: Remake Tony Hawk's Pro skater 2 and 3. Put them together in glorious HD with new mechanics and stuff. And for god sake throw the flat dildo to the sharks.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#75  Edited By 234r2we232

I found it odd when it was the week of release and the Wiki page still didn't have box art. This is totally foreboding of Guitar Hero and Call of Duty. Remember how insanely popular the THPS series was for 5 years? Then it shrank, and shrank into... well, this.

I could totally see a "The Tony Hawk" game being made next year, along with a bunch of nos-con for good measure.

thecosmicfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By thecosmicfly
    @PenguinDust said:
    "@stinky:  No, there's a pretty entertaining commercial on air where I guy "shreds" with his entire house.  But, TH peaked with #3 ages ago and it's been (excuse the pun) all downhill since.   The peripheral being broken-out-of-the-box doesn't help the franchise any.  If they want to fix the franchise, in my opinion, they need to go back to the basics in one sense and make it less about skateboarding if that makes any sense.  Maybe something like InFamous but the way you get around is by skateboarding, however that's not the focus of the story. 

"

The ending to this commercial just summed up the current status of this whole franchise in one word. Tony Hawk himself simply standing there and saying, "Really?" 

It's so perfect it's hard not to be sardonic towards it.
    Kralle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Kralle

Haha at tony hawk for saying "really?" even he doesn't get it

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#78  Edited By fox01313
    @ch13696:
    Agreed, that move by Activision just makes no sense to me. Last few TH games haven't been all that great & seems that the licensed stuff (Tony Hawk & the music) seems that it'd be more of a money drain than promoting the series. Wonder how many of the copies Tony Hawk & friends bought of this series in addition to whatever truckload of the game was just given to him. 

Seems that sandwiching the release of this between Fable3, Fallout Vegas, Shawn White's skateboarding game & Black Ops kind of doomed it. Maybe if it went out in the summer drought of less games then it might have done a little more. That is if it was a normal controller game & not using the skateboard controller, people who might be interested in this (who didn't get TH: Ride) would be put off when they see they need yet another piece of plastic controller for it. I imagine that TH: Ride probably burned quite a lot of the fanbase.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#79  Edited By I_smell

Did anyone know this game was even coming out? I've never heard of it.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
    chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

god damn...that's fucking awful

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.