Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tony Hawk: RIDE

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

The tenth game in the Tony Hawk series, RIDE featured the use of a newly conceived skateboard peripheral in an attempt, by Activision, to reboot the series.

Hawk says it was his idea, Calls out Critics

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By apathylad
    IGN.com just wrote an article in which Tony Hawk defends his game (no surprise there) and says that journalists were bashing the game before even trying it.

They were ready to discredit it before they even tried it, and if it didn't play exactly how they imagined it... then they passed it off," Hawk said. "I don't agree with people who say the board's not responsive," he add. "I think that they're just not giving it a fair shake. And I think a lot of them came into it with an attitude that it's going to suck. 

I know that (RIDE) is super fun, and I think there's a misconception that I just stick my name on a game," he said. "I brought this idea to Activision, and I saw it through, 
    I've been playing it every step of the way and I am very proud of it. 

I've been following Tony Hawk on twitter and he's been posting that he's been playing the game online. I think the bigger problem he should point out is that the game was marketed very poorly, and I believe that would hurt the game's sales more than what game critics had to say on the game. I'm puzzled as to why I've seen the board on display at Gamestops and Best Buys, but I have never seen the actual game on a kiosk. And since when do athletes get to pitch ideas for video games? I'm waiting for a Michael Phelps Bong Party game, or whatever was in the works that was going to have his name attached to it.

"They were ready to discredit it before they even tried it, and if it didnt play exactly how they imagined it...then they passed it off."
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By VWGTI

Denial.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By EpicSteve

I actually wanted the game to be good.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

Lol.  He should challenge his critics to a real life skate boarding contest like Uwe Boll challenged people to boxing.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Brendan

I know that RIDE is stuck in very poor places at stores where I live, which is any place the store can fit it behind the other large boxes of peripherals.  It seems that without much marketing, it can't sell itself by just being in the store because there isn't much room for it to begin with.   

As for the gameplay, I've only ever seen the Quicklook which doesn't make it seem very responsive based on Jeff's experience.  Has anyone played this game and had an easier time with it?
    ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ZmillA

Since I think tony is an ok guy Im going to ignore the parts of his response that i disagree with.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Jeff Gerstmann tried it. Jeff Gerstmann gave it a bad review. 

Tony Hawk is a lair!!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By hatking

Well he is wrong.  Jeff even said it had potential back at E3, I hardly consider that dismissive.  We all saw it, they were't hiding anything in that Quick Look, the game just doesn't look that great.  Tony Hawk should have kept his mouth shut about this, let it die, then Activision should have taken a break with Tony Hawk games, maybe not as long as Jeff said, but still a couple years anyway.  After people start to forget about it, come back with Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5, pretend the other shit didn't exist, return to what made the game good and work on that.  Believe it or not every single game doesn't need to have motion controls or a peripheral, there is room for regular controller games too.
    Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Trilogy
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " Jeff Gerstmann tried it. Jeff Gerstmann gave it a bad review.  Tony Hawk is a lair!! "
    Tony Hawk = Lair?  Now it all makes sense.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CptBedlam

Parents are always proud of their children, no matter how ugly they are.

Anyway...

1. He helped developing the game and thus lacks necessary distance to judge it.
    2. He says it in order to boost sales.
    3. He probably knows shit about good games.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11  Edited By Symphony
    @HatKing said:
    " Well he is wrong.  Jeff even said it had potential back at E3, I hardly consider that dismissive.  We all saw it, they were't hiding anything in that Quick Look, the game just doesn't look that great.  Tony Hawk should have kept his mouth shut about this, let it die, then Activision should have taken a break with Tony Hawk games, maybe not as long as Jeff said, but still a couple years anyway.  After people start to forget about it, come back with Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5, pretend the other shit didn't exist, return to what made the game good and work on that.  Believe it or not every single game doesn't need to have motion controls or a peripheral, there is room for regular controller games too. "
    Well said. The only thing reviewers were pessimistic (if you want to even call it that) about before hand was the if there would be any other games that would support the peripheral or if it would be ye another one-game piece of plastic that would collect dust in the corner of the room once you were done with that game -- which it certainly is gearing up to be.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By Skald

T Mobile menu screen = Hawk approved! 
    Yeah!

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By Icemael
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " Jeff Gerstmann tried it. Jeff Gerstmann gave it a bad review."
    Jeff is going to fire himself for not giving it a good score. There's going to be a huge controversy, and he's going to start a new site with Ryan, Brad and Vinny. It's going to be called "GameCop", and a large chunk of its community is going to consist of ex-GiantBomb members who have grown tired of GiantBomb's biased reviews, opting for Jeff & Co's honest writing.
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By jonnyboy

When I saw footage of it at E3, I really hoped they could pull this off, because I'm willing to give anything a shot as long as it's fun.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Driadon

It's funny too, as the reviews I have read on RIDE have either been glowing by the media that obviously decided to do the  "play it for an hour at this review event and we'll let you post it up early" way and the rest being the negative ones that bought a retail copy to play it as much as possible. 
    Is this going to be another Lair, where Hawk is going to mail out instructions on how you're supposed to use the board?

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Romination

I was hoping it would be good, too, but I'm not a professional revooer. I think a lot of it was just the lack of faith from Activisions obvious lack of faith in the game. I also heard that when Tony Hawk gets on it, he does really really good. So is that it, then? Do you have to actually know how to skateboard in order to play the bloody thing? Then why am I not just skateboarding?

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Trilogy said:
    " @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " Jeff Gerstmann tried it. Jeff Gerstmann gave it a bad review.  Tony Hawk is a lair!! "
    Tony Hawk = Lair?  Now it all makes sense. "
    Yeah, I thought that too. It would explain the cack-handed motion controls.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18  Edited By CenturionCajun

I think this is a case of Tony being more hurt that something bearing his name is getting such overwhelmingly negative reactions. His namesake video game franchise has gone from the peak of sporting games to a laughing stock.

I think the review scores from the major sources are pretty well in agreement. This game is a shoddy piece of software with a reasonably sturdy hardware that may or may not actually work. The added fact that Activision wouldn't even send anyone a review copy speaks volumes. This experiment turned out to be an unmitigated disaster that Activision is trying to push out the door and completely forget. Sorry Tony.

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, we all saw Jeff play it

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By septim

There was probably a reason why Activision hid this game from the press Mr. Hawk.

I will give Tony credit in that he seems relatively active in actually promoting "his" games. And I don't think anyone thought the idea was that stupid. They were just wary of the execution and lack of attention Activision gave it.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rowr

if you have some skateboarding skills i bet the game is funner. But fuck. If you have some skateboarding skills, your out skateboarding.

acecards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By acecards
    @Diamond said:
    " Lol.  He should challenge his critics to a real life skate boarding contest like Uwe Boll challenged people to boxing. "
    i'm imagining hawk vs jeff in a vertical ramp....jeff wins
    DewRequired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DewRequired

I bet Activision set Tony Hawk up with the RIDE skateboard in front of a TV that was playing Skate, and someone in a back room somewhere was making what Hawk did on the skateboard happen in Skate. That would clearly explain everything.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By TheHBK

Listening to the last Bombcast points out what they should first do.  Put out Tony Hawk Classic.  Remake the First 2 games with the mechanics of Tony Hawk 3, which is when the game reached its apex, and needed no more changes to the core gameplay.  Then put those first 3 games out on the XBLA and PSN with HD graphics.  Maybe the first two games dont need to be overhauled in gameplay to play like 3, but 3 was the best in the series but the first 2 have the real classic feel since they came out on the DC and PS1.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cstrang

The idea was great.  The execution was poor.  Tony play-testing the game and calling it good is
    @VWGTI said:

" Denial. "

this.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Rowr said:
    " if you have some skateboarding skills i bet the game is funner. But fuck. If you have some skateboarding skills, your out skateboarding. "
    I fucking love you. Haha. 

Because this is exactly right.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ninjakiller

Just cements Skate's dominance in the uh "Skateboarding Sim?" category.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By George_Hukas

Lots of decent games don't get their fair shake.. this isn't one. Every critic that tore into this game did so with accuracy and it was a lot more than an unresponsive piece of hardware that brought this half-assed game down.  

@VWGTI said:

" Denial. "
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By JJOR64

It still sucks ass.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ArchScabby

Everything he says about the game is worthless.  No offense to him personally, he's trying to sell his game, he's not gonna be all like,  "hell yeah this game sucks!  What the hell were the developers thinking?"

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31  Edited By JonathanMoore
    @Icemael said:
    " @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " Jeff Gerstmann tried it. Jeff Gerstmann gave it a bad review."
    Jeff is going to fire himself for not giving it a good score. There's going to be a huge controversy, and he's going to start a new site with Ryan, Brad and Vinny. It's going to be called "GameCop", and a large chunk of its community is going to consist of ex-GiantBomb members who have grown tired of GiantBomb's biased reviews, opting for Jeff & Co's honest writing. "
    hmm, have we met before...
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dbz1995

I AM TONY HAWK I WILL KILL YOU ALL IF YOU DO NOT BUY MY GAME

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By shotaro
    @EpicSteve said:
    " I actually wanted the game to be good. "
    so did I, I used to love the THPS games, but once I saw that board in action it killed any excitement or willingness to buy

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.