Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

A young and inexperienced Lara Croft is shipwrecked on a mysterious island in this reboot of the beloved action adventure franchise, which departs from the mood of prior games in the series.

So, did anyone actually pick up the PS4/XB1 version?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

So, I went ahead and bought this today the digital version no less because my store had no physical copies in. Which, for some weird reason seems to be an issue as I also heard Best Buy and even some Gamestops claiming they weren't getting the game until next week. So anywho, been playing for a few hours now. Took a stab at multiplayer. Yeah, its more of the same of what I played nearly a year ago but I was sort of looking for a reason to go back to it and this seems more than enough reason to me.

I might be down to fiddle around with the multplayer if anyone wants to sometime soon. My PSN ID is same as my name on here if you wanna shoot me an invite. Anyways, took some screenies. You'll have to left click to open the image viewer then open the images in a new tab to see them in full resolution.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Yep. So good.

AnjinM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By AnjinM

Looks good. I don't own last gen's version, but I'm curious about this one. If money was less tight, I might already own it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

I already own the PS3 version, and I actually haven't even started that yet, so I have no real reason to pick up the PS4 version.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By musubi

I'll also add a few minor notes:

• The game has fun (albeit pointless) with the lightbar. Flashing orange when torch is equipped, white when you fire guns, red when your low on health.
    • The diary notes a.k.a essentially audio logs that you find by default are read over the Dualshock 4 controller
    • Various voice commands are in the game. Switching weapons, bringing up the map ect....
    • Touch pad can be used to extinguish and light torches by swiping up or down depending on what you want to do.
    • Any "struggle" prompt that requires vigorous movement of the left stick can be done instead by shaking the dual shock. (not sure if that was in Ps3 too)
    • There are Hitman Absolution branded weapons in multiplayer (assuming this was DLC in vanilla version) which I find incredibly hilarious.
    • There is a Digital Comic book and Art book in Extra content along with the entire "Final Hours" documentary that Geoff Keighley did. (I know the art book and comic are new not sure about the doc)
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Akeldama

As someone who played the PC version on full settings and resolution, the PS4 version looks fucking fantastic.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I'm debating between buying this for my PS4 (as I never played it on old consoles) or getting Lego Marvel Superheroes...

Pepeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Pepeman

@mariachimacabre: Ooh, tough call man, Lego Marvel Heroes is awesome! The first Lego game i've bought, and i really dug it! And the only game i've gotten platinum trophy in ( thanks to it only having a single player. Fuck MP trophies/achievements). Sure, some of the characters are basically re-skinned versions of each other, and collecting stuff can get bit tedious at some points, but overall if you dig Marvel and Lego stuff, its def worth the buy.

But then again, Tomb Raider is really great, i had a blast playing it! The game has really nice flow to it, and it plays and controls beautifully. Easily in my top 5 games from last year. Also, it does look freaking awesome on the PS4.

At this point, i would go with Tomb Raider; its a solid, great looking action game that everybody should play.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@akeldama said:

As someone who played the PC version on full settings and resolution, the PS4 version looks fucking fantastic.

Oh okay, so it's not just me. I mean, I remember it looking really good on the PC, but fuck man, credit where credit's due!

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nop.

But I probably will when the price goes down, since I really enjoyed it on PS3

The visual/performance difference seems substantial enough, but $60 is too much for a game I've already played not that long ago.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Humanity

Look how BIG her breasts are, look how she is leering at me with that low cut top, MISOGYNY!!!

Anyway, if I had never played it this would be a great copy for me to purchase. As it stands I beat it a year ago and enjoyed it thoroughly so no real reason to go back. Would make a nice gift though.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By MildMolasses

Game looks great, and I'm glad I have a reason to go back to it. I didn't get too far in, but I love the choice of sound effects that come out of the ds4 speaker.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By happenstance

My PS4 copy is on its way at the moment. I've already got the PS3 version and loved it, it was my GOTY last year and I was always planning on replaying it but my PS3 broke last week so this seemed like a worthwhile purchase.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Seppli

As a guy who plays his PS4 with headphones on, I can't for the life of me figure out the appeal of the DS4's internal speakers. A decent omni-directional microphone with a push-to-talk button would have made so much more sense.

Other than that, I didn't pick up the definitive Tomb Raider - I decided to take the time and put it towards my Vita backlog. Currently 10 hours into FF:T War of the Lions, and enjoying myself. I guess if it was priced 30$ today, I'd get it now. As is, it'll likely be a PSN store purchase a year from now, when it's on sale for like 10$ in a Christmas sale or what have you.

Though I'll likely get Thief day and date next month, so Squeenix will be happy with me then.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@mariachimacabre: I really liked Marvel Super Heroes because it was a well needed break from all the murder/killing in all of the other launch games. It's also an easy platinum trophy if you're into those things.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@akeldama said:

I was in the same situation as you. I played through the game on PS3 first, then on PC with max settings and resolution. Even after experiencing that, the PS4 version looks much better. The only thing the PC version has on the PS4 version is that it has more tessellation on in game objects and the possibility to go crazy with AA (not that you really need to). But the PS4 version has more shrubbery, particles, physics etc... So it balances out I think.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will but I can wait a bit. My game of the year, and the jump from 360 to PS4 will be striking. But I got plenty to play and can wait for a drop on a game I already own.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bit off-topic but just want to say this game looked so incredible on my PC for the couple minutes i turned it up to highest settings. it also ran about 5fps :D

i hunger for new hardware :(

serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought a Ps4 from costco and along with a year of PSN+ and a 10 dollar PSN card I bought Tomb Raider for about 49 dollars. All I played of it was 3 minutes on the PC at a friends house and waited on the current console version of it and so far I am really glad I didn't pay very much attention to the game because I've been blown away by it. It takes what I loved from Uncharted and added open traversal.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had to post this one. Really impressive close up shot of Jonah.

No Caption Provided

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The multiplayer is actually pretty fun, if somewhat limited; good luck finding people on PS4.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: I've been able to find some matches. Up to rank like 15 I think? Not sure how much more I'll continue along its pretty okay. It has some interesting concepts like the FFA mode where you can instantly win the match if you can get enough kills in a row to become the executioner upon which respawns are disabled.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really want to pick up the PS4 version, but $60 is a bit steep for me right now. Maybe in a month or two.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same as @seppli , I'll buy it when it's like $10 on PSN. I played it on PS3 and wasn't to impressed by the game.Thought it was solid but nothing special. I'll pay $10 to play a prettier version though.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Eurogamer's Digital Foundry compared the new console versions to PC and said that the face had improved and that bushes and grass and brances and such now reacts to physics, but on the other hand it has lower texture resolution compared to playing on Ultra settings on PC.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagas: Huh, I guess that's why I've never been impressed by any screenshots of the game. It looks nice in motion though even though the physics on the vegetation is what's adding the most to the visual flair when traversing the environment

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Looks better than the PC version, honestly. I just opened it up at 1440p fully maxed out. Wish they'd patch over whatever improvements they made for the 'next-gen' version, hah.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waiting 'till it drops in price, most I'll go is forty dollars since I paid twenty for the PS3 version, and got more than enough enjoyment out of it to justify sixty. But with March being so loaded with games, and with my current JRPG kick, don't think it'll be anytime soon.

PS4 version looks super nice from what I've seen.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Sooty

@demoskinos said:

No Caption Provided

That's not really impressive in 2014, to be fair.

Crysis (2007, in-game real time)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Crysis is one weird game, considering it came out in 2007 you really would not think it. How is it we haven't progressed much when this game ran on high settings, on an 8800 Ultra at 1920x1200? A now totally ancient video card. I always thought Crysis had absurdly well detailed faces and damn they hold up. I hated the game though, lol.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By MEATBALL

I bought it, had already played through it on 360 (and still have the copy). I'm really enjoying playing through it again on the PS4, I'd forgotten just how thoroughly I'd enjoyed the game. It's an awesome version of the game, looks really nice and I love all of the little things it does with the dual shock 4. I've been taking a tonne of screenshots, I just wish the PS4/twitter didn't so heavily compress them.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@sooty said:

@demoskinos said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Crysis is one weird game, considering it came out in 2007 you really would not think it. How is it we haven't progressed much when this game ran on high settings, on an 8800 Ultra at 1920x1200? A now totally ancient video card. I always thought Crysis had absurdly well detailed faces and damn they hold up. I hated the game though, lol.

At least one of those screen shots is from Crysis 3, which was not at all released in 2007.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Instead of paying $60 for a game I already have (especially considering I got it for $15 like six months ago on PC), I just played it again last week. Playing it a second time it is still pretty great, in my top 5 of last year.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Sooty

@sooty said:

@demoskinos said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

At least one of those screen shots is from Crysis 3, which was not at all released in 2007.

It'll be the second one then, I didn't think I recognised it.
    Still if you go and look at any Crysis 1 character, it still looks like a recent game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@sooty: It is impressive, but it's still got the same problem that last generation had - it's too reflective. Why does Jonah's face reflect light like a mirror? Crysis 1 averted this pretty well.

It seems like Tomb Raider definitely has more detail but falls more into the uncanny valley. Crysis 1 looks ever-so-slightly like a cartoon, a style which has helped that game's graphics age extremely well. That shot from Crysis 3, though? That guy looks real. There are a handful of tiny details that look a little off (look at the upper part of his right eye, it reeks of super-smooth computer animation), but you have to look extremely close to see signs that it's done with a computer.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh, I should have expected the PC hounds to arrive shortly after I posted that.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: protip with PS4 screenshots to get the fully uncompressed version share it to twitter then right click on twitter web client and "open image in new tab" the file will most likely have a .jpg:large extension on it. Erase "large" and type orig in its place hit enter and you should have access to the full picture. Windows won't automatically save it as a .jpg so you'll have to type .jpg after whatever filename you choose.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it on PC when it came out last year and really enjoyed it so I decided to rent it on PS4 since there isn't much else out right now and I still think it's a great game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.