Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Order: 1886

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 20, 2015

A third-person shooter set in a steampunk-themed alternate timeline, with a dash of the supernatural. Developed by Ready at Dawn Studios for the PlayStation 4.

Why should length determine quality?

• 151 results
    balrogsbain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By balrogsbain

I have watched someone play the first 30-40 minutes, 15 minutes were cut scenes, 10 minutes were walking and 5 minutes were shooting 4 people, the game looks beautiful but it feels slightly soulless.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By Player1

The sentiment seems to be that they didn't spend enough time and assets developing the gameplay and storyline, rather they spent the bulk of their efforts on visuals. Which they apparently did a fantastic job of!

Obviously all opinions of games are subjective, so I would assume people who are upset were expecting a 'fuller' experience in terms of story and gameplay.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

In short, it doesn't. The length of a single player campaign that is full cost, has no other modes, and no replay ability is an important part to think about. Mainly because you deserve to know "Hey this game is great, but short. So if money is tight and you want a lot of bang for your buck then consider that before getting it".

But since this game is apparently not really good it's just another reason for people to complain about it.

Really this is probably what makes games so much harder to review than movies. Movies cost the same to see no matter what (unless you have to watch them in 3D). So it's never about length, it's about quality. Sure some movies are longer than others, but no one ever associates a 3 hr movie being a better value than a 1 1/2 hr movie.

This is what made Dan's review of that Toad game so odd but fair. The reality is that most people don't read a full review. They'll look at the numbers and say 9.0 ok great I'll buy it. So the only way to express the problem with the length of a game, in a way that the general audience can see, is in the final score.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Redbox. $3. Enjoy it or don't. Length has nothing to do with whether something is fun or entertaining.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's not bad that the game is only around 6/7 hours long, it's bad that after playing it for such a short time I was glad it was over..

Length is not that relevant, in fact most games today are filled with the same and more of the same content just to increase the total playing time. 'Over more then 100 hours of content'. Yea sure, but what kind of content is it, because after playing Dragon Age Inquisition for 30 hours or so I just quit and never came back to it. That felt even less satisfying then finishing a short game, it felt like a waste of my time.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#156  Edited By Nardak

Everyone has their own opinion about the game. I didnt find the story tedious. I loved exploring the victorian era of steampunk London.

Though the werewolf encounters were a tad disappointing (mainly because of the repetition that Jeff mentioned on the Giant Bomb podcast). Otherwise I thought that the shooting felt good and especially the shotgun and thermite gun were awesome weapons to use. Pistols were also pretty inventive in how differently one could shoot with them (dueling pistol vs machine gun pistol vs revolver type pistol).On hard difficulty fights felt also pretty challenging.

Dont understand the complaints about sneaking. There were very few sneaking sections and for the biggest sneaking section the game provides you with a crossbow (one hit kills). Also you can just sneak behind enemies or hide behind a corner or any cover to make automatic takedowns of enemies when they come close.

The ending felt a bit abrupt but I think that the next time around (if the first game sells enough) the developers will do a more fleshed out campaign since they already have the engine ready. So potentially on the sequel they can flesh out the story more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.