Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Order: 1886

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 20, 2015

A third-person shooter set in a steampunk-themed alternate timeline, with a dash of the supernatural. Developed by Ready at Dawn Studios for the PlayStation 4.

The Order 1886?????

• 69 results
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#51  Edited By Humanity

@jesus_phish: I thought it was letterboxed for trailer purposes and didn't know the entire game had the same letterbox treatment.

I do hate letterboxing quite a bit. Of course you can get used to everything after a while. I loved Dragons Dogma and I put up with the letterboxing there. Similarly I would no doubt get used to the letterboxing in this game as well. That said it would be something that I would see every once in a while and get irrationally angry about to the point of mumbling under my breath and shaking my head while I play the game.

I think it sucks and yah I can deal with it, but it's a shitty thing to deal with. It's like if one of your triggers would get stuck, or was squeaky. You deal with it, but you'd prefer you didn't have to.

EDIT: To clarify - I see my big TV and I see those big black bars of nothing that similarly add nothing to the experience and I get so incredibly angry at how pointless it is. I didn't spend extra money on a nice TV so I can have a game just waste it. I'm quite literally getting upset just thinking about it now, it's so idiotic, why?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@humanity: That's fair enough. My guess was you thought it was just letterboxed for promos because every blood game does that anyway. I don't think the letterboxing in this will be as bad as it was in say The Evil Within which was just ridiculous for it. My girlfriend loved the idea of The Evil Within but stopped playing it because she got fed up with the letterboxing obscuring so much important information and getting killed. I remember at one point the main character just blew up and after reloading we found out there was a trip wire we couldn't see because it was obscured by those big black bars.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@jesus_phish: Yah that game took it to extremes. They should have increased the FOV at least to compensate. I was intrigued by the story and setting but the controls combined with the letterboxing really turned me off. Thankfully Steam let you play the first 3 chapters to help you decide if you want to buy it or not.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@onarum said:

It'll be probably something you'll play for about 6 or 8 hours tops then completely forget about.

It was obviously meant to be a "technical showcase" for the ps4, too bad the hardware can't possible handle it so they had to implement forced letterboxing and 30 FPS lock for that "cinematic feel", I'll be surprised if it can hold 30 FPS at all...

wow someone sounds salty, not only on the game that is not released yet and not for another month. and also extremely butthurt with the ps4...

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

As long as the story is interesting and gameplay is competent, then day one purchase from me. I'm shocked at how many people are claiming that the gameplay looks boring when every boxed game from last year was a mindless sandbox game. Give me a focused linear game over that any day of the week.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By onarum

@grillbar: I don't even have a ps4, I'm just stating the truth, that the "next gen" consoles are pretty much comparable to a 2 year old mid range PC at best, and it turns out you can't do much with a 2 year old mid range pc.

As for me saying that it's something you'll play for 6 or 8 hours and then forget about it's just a personal opinion based on the gameplay shown, looks really generic and forgettable, and the story the same old evil forces being fought by good guys, not bad necessarily but not something that will make a lasting impression too.

edit: just to be clear I'm not bashing the ps4 or anything, it's pretty nice piece of hardware, it's just that I believe their approach with the order is not exactly the right way to show ps4's prowess because the hardware just cannot properly handle it.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest thing I've taken from this thread is that apparently I played nearly 100 hours of Dragon's Dogma without knowing it was letterboxed.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By onarum

@teddie: was it really? now the first thing I'll do when I get home will be firing up my ps3 to check this.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

@somejerk said:
    @onarum said:

It was obviously meant to be a "technical showcase" for the ps4, too bad the hardware can't possible handle it so they had to implement forced letterboxing and 30 FPS lock for that "cinematic feel", I'll be surprised if it can hold 30 FPS at all...

A developer mentioned that if they do away with that and render every last pixel of 1920x1080p they have to cut the AA from x4 MSAA to x1 MSAA.

Then that's what they should have done. Being able to see is vital.

I'm quite impressed that a developer is favoring IQ for once.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Dragon's Dogma was letter boxed???

O.o

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@geraltitude: Letter boxed and still ran like shit on the ps3, sadly.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@nilazz said:

I played some 70 hours of it on PS3 and never noticed either letter boxing or poor performance! I've said this many times in these forums - I grew up on the world's crappiest computers failing to run even the most simple games. Also, I have a deep, deep love of all things slow motion. Performance issues are nearly invisible to me.

Which a sweet blessing!

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Just another Gears clone"

"Just another shooter"

Why do people throw these terms around like there are hundreds of shooters coming out each year? Seriously, look at a release calendar. There are 3-5 mainstream shooters that come out each year. And yet, they will absolutely swallow up any random rogue-like or whatever even if there literally are a hundred of them out there.

Also, much more important is the fact that this hasn't even come out yet. The most important part of an action title is how the controls, movement, and gunplay feel. Guessing how a game feels using a video just seems dumb. I don't know why people are so desperate for "innovation" and seem to completely ignore polish and actual gameplay.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@geraltitude: That seems like a sweet blessing indeed cause I could not get over how bad it ran, maybe I should stick to playing games on a crappy computer to make some old games on my ps3 feel awesome again.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@nilazz said:

It ran fine....did someone knock down your bridge?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
    deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that it looks very interesting but not something I would necessarily like to play. I will be very interested in how it performs as far as framerate and such goes, but I do not see it as such a big deal as other people are making it out to be. I can deal with 30 frames honestly.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67  Edited By spraynardtatum

I appreciate that they're working on the story of the game a lot. Most games are similar to blockbuster movies where the stories are all pretty generic.

That being said, The Order looks veeerrry much like a blockbuster movie with a generic monster fighting squad outline.

I really hope that they aren't just saying "this game is serious" when they say that it's very story driven. I hope they're making something with complex ideas and messages worth picking apart. Working harder to just make another dark action movie seems like a waste. I want it to be something meaty.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After the trainwreck of a year 2014 ended up being there near the end, I'm super cautious of any big budget games nowadays.
    That said, as silly as it may sound, I do wish there were more linear, straight-forward, narrative-focused games nowadays. Getting burned out pretty hardcore on open world crapshoots.
    If The Order ends up being a point A to B shooter with a decent story, then sure, why not.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think this game is going to live up to its expectations. It looks visually impressive but that's all it’s got. There doesn't seem to be anything else there that makes me want to purchase that game. Of course, this is going by what I've seen out of all the trailers this game had. If it turns out to be a good game, their marketing has been shit.

The expectations are that this is a pretty, boring ass game. The marketing has clearly already been defeated by the internet. You must have fallen into an alternate reality where more than 1% of posters are interested in this game.

Or were you talking about financial expectations? Wonder if it will meet those myself. My guess is yes, considering how starved PS4 owners are for high-profile, high-fidelity games.

That said, as silly as it may sound, I do wish there were more linear, straight-forward, narrative-focused games nowadays. Getting burned out pretty hardcore on open world crapshoots.

This is actually the number 1 reason I am excited for the Order at all. Barely has anything to do with the Order, and way more to do with the fact that I am very ready to play this game style again. Soooo burned out of collect-a-thons in giant maps.

@nilazz said:

@geraltitude: That seems like a sweet blessing indeed cause I could not get over how bad it ran, maybe I should stick to playing games on a crappy computer to make some old games on my ps3 feel awesome again.

lol, welllll I dunno! Maybe. Haha doesn't sound very fun when you put it like that though. But it's nice to have a sense of perspective. Maybe just mix and match more? I guess what I mean by that is I am always playing GC/PS1/PS2 games and older PC games and when you are jumping around like that maybe it's easier to look past their technical shortcommings, in any generation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.