Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Order: 1886

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 20, 2015

A third-person shooter set in a steampunk-themed alternate timeline, with a dash of the supernatural. Developed by Ready at Dawn Studios for the PlayStation 4.

Order 1886 40 Minute demo for press tomorrow.

• 75 results
    Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Nodima

@darji said:

@sinusoidal said:

@onekillwonder_ said:

I don't understand the concept of announcing a game and then not showing it off for the better part of a year.

It's because when they announce, it's basically a bunch of concept art and maybe a teaser trailer. The game proper doesn't exist yet. It's marketing's job to get people excited about things that don't exist yet so potential investors have a reason to fund the game. In other words: a steaming pile of bullshit.

Then show it of like they did with Watchdogs or the Division for example. We never heard of these games, but they wowed people after showing a demo of it for the first time.

And now Watch Dogs is talked about like a hot dog flailing in the water by almost everyone and The Division is a 2015 release, right? So we really have no idea if what we saw from EITHER of those games mattered very much. I am just fine with waiting until a company is read to show me what they have. Just as I am with movies and television and everything else. As I mentioned above, as a music writer who works with a lot of local musicians and has gotten to do some pretty cool things with national musicians, these events are not necessarily as special as you'd like them to be. Your posts read more like someone who feels like they're missing out, or less than these journalists. You aren't. They're just doing their jobs, looking at a glitchy, awkward vision of what this game hopes to be. I don't think you really want that. You want a seat in that room.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I want to watch the whole 40 minutes presentation right now. Internet - get on it!

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#53  Edited By sammo21

@geraltitude: Well, its the big exclusive that we know of. I would be shocked if there weren't 2-3 decently sized titles this fall that haven't been announced, Sony exclusive of course.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

Not showing the game off publicly means that it either a) isn't polished to the standard that they are happy with, or b) isn't in-line with their public PR campaign.

Either way, this is intentional and people should respect that. There is an exhaustive list of games out there that were overexposed years before release and this overexposure has lead to negative public perception as development progressed (classic example being Fable/Project Ego; more recent examples being the Watch_Dogs mediocre Summer 2013 showings, or the Broken Age 'half game' drama).

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Darji

@nodima said:

@darji said:

@sinusoidal said:

@onekillwonder_ said:

I don't understand the concept of announcing a game and then not showing it off for the better part of a year.

It's because when they announce, it's basically a bunch of concept art and maybe a teaser trailer. The game proper doesn't exist yet. It's marketing's job to get people excited about things that don't exist yet so potential investors have a reason to fund the game. In other words: a steaming pile of bullshit.

Then show it of like they did with Watchdogs or the Division for example. We never heard of these games, but they wowed people after showing a demo of it for the first time.

And now Watch Dogs is talked about like a hot dog flailing in the water by almost everyone and The Division is a 2015 release, right? So we really have no idea if what we saw from EITHER of those games mattered very much. I am just fine with waiting until a company is read to show me what they have. Just as I am with movies and television and everything else. As I mentioned above, as a music writer who works with a lot of local musicians and has gotten to do some pretty cool things with national musicians, these events are not necessarily as special as you'd like them to be. Your posts read more like someone who feels like they're missing out, or less than these journalists. You aren't. They're just doing their jobs, looking at a glitchy, awkward vision of what this game hopes to be. I don't think you really want that. You want a seat in that room.

How can you honestly still believe this will look awkward and glitchy especially with the current press jumping on everything much faster than even "normal" people would? Do you really believe that a game which is like 8 month away from release will look glitchy and bad especially a piece that they will show to the press? Also Movies and music are totally different. Or do you get a 20 minute preview or 20 minute piece of an album which is like 8-10 months away? No you do not.

And no I do not want a seat in that room. I do not want a 40 minute presentation of the game which is including slides of the setting etc. All I want is a fucking piece of this. Be it 5 minutes or 10 minutes that is all I am asking for. If your game is exciting you should show it off to the people instead in this case Sony let "untalented" writers write about what they saw and could not even play. Then they either hype it up like nothing else because it is a preview, or they try to add some social commentary in it how they did not like one special scene because they feel it is racist, sexist, scary, or whatever they can think of to get hits. For recent examples : Castlevania 2. And one preview which compared it to Rapelay.

Right now Kickstarter campaigns or developer of Kickstarter project do a much much better and much cheaper job to get people excited for a game than the Huge developers. But hey they let people fly to Rome, Hawaii or where ever just so these people can write about a demo they have seen and maybe if they were lucky even could play. There is a reason why Giantbomb does nothing like this anymore because it is a total waste of time.

We do not need the gaming press anymore. Just put it out on YouTube, or maybe even give us a livestream and showing off the game while explaining it and you have a much better and cheaper way to communicate with people and to get people excited about something.

Oh yeah and in all this rage: Embargo date is Feb 18th. So yeah these "talented" writers now have two weeks to write some shitty article about it while forgetting all the stuff they have seen anyway. Good Job Sony or better marketing section of Sony.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I used a word in the post before that one, "entitlement". You should look it up. You're not an investor and you're not in the press and 8 months is roughly 240 days from now. What do you need that only a five minute preview of The Order 1886 can give you?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima said:

I used a word in the post before that one, "entitlement". You should look it up. You're not an investor and you're not in the press and 8 months is roughly 240 days from now. What do you need that only a five minute preview of The Order 1886 can give you?

A glimpse of the gameplay I can expect from the game. I love the setting, I love these characters and their history, but I have no idea how it will play, how it will look, or how storytelling and gameplay will fit together at all. And that for a game which is 8 months away from launch. This game is being looked down on the internet because all we know that it will have cover mechanics so all people can think of is Gears of War clone. People do not know what to expect so they judge it based on these "facts" An not one article can really change that.

As for the investor thing: We are the reason games will or not will be successful. If you are not hyped you will not pre order it. If you are not hyped you will not want the "collectors Edition" and so on. I actually backed up several games after the kickstarter campaign because they released a bunch of videos and infos about it to the public. Game sI was not even interested during the kickstarter campaign. So I was not even an investor I just basically pre ordered the game.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

@sammo21 said:

@geraltitude: Well, its the big exclusive that we know of. I would be shocked if there weren't 2-3 decently sized titles this fall that haven't been announced, Sony exclusive of course.

Yeah definitely agree to that. Not just the only exclusive we know of, but I can't imagine there are that many exclusives that are unknown that will also come out in 2014 like the Order. Definitely we will see Uncharted 4 at E3, along with, yeah, at least 1 or 2 other big games. Doesn't Sony have like 12 studios? They must be working on something.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By spraynardtatum

@nodima said:

Yes, everyone, act rationally at all times. Bury your complaints if you have them because your entitled to nothing!

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Bane122

@darji said:

A glimpse of the gameplay I can expect from the game. I love the setting, I love these characters and their history, but I have no idea how it will play, how it will look, or how storytelling and gameplay will fit together at all. And that for a game which is 8 months away from launch. This game is being looked down on the internet because all we know that it will have cover mechanics so all people can think of is Gears of War clone. People do not know what to expect so they judge it based on these "facts" An not one article can really change that.

As for the investor thing: We are the reason games will or not will be successful. If you are not hyped you will not pre order it. If you are not hyped you will not want the "collectors Edition" and so on. I actually backed up several games after the kickstarter campaign because they released a bunch of videos and infos about it to the public. Game sI was not even interested during the kickstarter campaign. So I was not even an investor I just basically pre ordered the game.

If I'm not mistaken, very little info has been put out about the characters. How can you already love them and their history?

And an article can quite easily change the perception of a game. the authors can go into detail about how the gameplay is different from Gears. I mean, that's the entire point of an article, to explain things.

While, yes, we are often the reason a game succeeds, it's not due until much later this year, there's plenty of time to inform people and drum up hype. The preoder campaign probably won't start until a month or two out from release (or maybe E3). There's no need whatsoever to show people the game yet. If someone's already made up their mind about it, videos won't change it.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Exactly, One paragraph about some of the characters. Hardly seems enough to proclaim a love for it all. Sure looks like you just already love them because they're from Sony, which is kinda sad.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Darji

@bane122 said:

@darji: Exactly, One paragraph about some of the characters. Hardly seems enough to proclaim a love for it all. Sure looks like you just already love them because they're from Sony, which is kinda sad.

I love the design of these characters, and their history with each other. These one paragraph shopw promise. They do nto tell me much about the story but they tell me a bit of their motivation and how their relationship is which again is quite interesting. It has nothing to do with Sony.....

Why would I even Rage about it if this because of Sony? Sony is fucking this up right now and I do not like that

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh wow I didn't know this game borrowed from King Arthur...

I'm going to go ahead and side with darji on this one. I instantly was very interested in this game and the characters as soon as I saw that trailer. They're just very distinctive characters. Something about their faces, their clothes, their weapons, their attitudes. I don't think i'ts that crazy to be pumped about a game with "so little" info. Is it smart? No. But it happens all the time.

You guys remember when the Witcher 3 teaser came out it and it was just a zoom in on the medallion? THAT BLEW MY MIND AWAY. Different I guess, it being a franchise. But whatevs. @Bane122 I think you're being way too hard on the idea of falling for a game before you know much about it at all. A teaser has never got you excited?

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@darji:

Relax man, they have good reason to have this as a press only event. I'm sure not too far from now they will cut something up for the public to enjoy. Too many games from the last few years have shown too much and could not quite meet the hype. So i have no problem with this title being a bit of a stealth bomber, dropping a video and details closer to release.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji:

Relax man, they have good reason to have this as a press only event. I'm sure not too far from now they will cut something up for the public to enjoy. Too many games from the last few years have shown too much and could not quite meet the hype. So i have no problem with this title being a bit of a stealth bomber, dropping a video and details closer to release.

The problem is that we have not seen ANYTHING. And that is the reason why people are mocking he game by calling it gears of wars clone for example. And this keeping it a scret to the people who are going to buy the game does not help at all. WE do not need the press anymore. They could easily ditch these people and by showing it to the public directly they could get out much more excitement. Especially with a game so far along. They will not change anything anymore at this point anyway.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally we get to hear something about this game.

Well they have said this is not a steampunk game...despite it looking like exactly that. Maybe not the sanitized cosplayer version, but pretty much everything else. Still excited by new IP's and fighting monsters in Victorian London doesn't get old for me.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima:

I think the differences you mention in industry are very much at the heart for why it's different. Few industries demand several hundred dollar purchases up front just to engage in a partial selection of the potential $50-60 purchases of the actual media later on. The Blu-Ray/HD-DVD war was the most recent thing I could think of, and even then there was a clear leader from the start, and really only affected the enthusiasts. By the time it mattered to the mainstream there was a single entity. That, and how the media is locked up behind exclusivity, regions, and IP. It's true a band might break up, but if Capcom decides not to make Mega Man games, that's it for every fan of that series, and if they go under, good luck to any fan of any niche titles they owned. So fans get invested. Perhaps, too invested.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: No, teasers that don't really show anything don't get me excited.

That said, I'm fine with people getting excited for things. And I'd understand if he said he's excited by these characters and their histories but, I don't get at all how you can say you love something when you hardly know anything about it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@bane122 said:

@geraltitude: No, teasers that don't really show anything don't get me excited.

That said, I'm fine with people getting excited for things. And I'd understand if he said he's excited by these characters and their histories but, I don't get at all how you can say you love something when you hardly know anything about it.

fair enough, Love is too strong a word. I might say I love how it looks, but I don't love the game yet.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane122: I used love because o do not know how to describe it otherwise. I think the design is fantastic of these characters and so is the backstory and their relationship to each other. I adore also the setting which was the reason I really got excited for this game in the first place.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: That I can totally get. The trailer had some atmosphere to it and if you like steampunk then it's right up your alley. But that's a lot different than what Darji said.

On a side note, does anyone else keep getting taken to the game's main page when clicking a notification instead of this thread?

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Willza92

Are people getting upset about not seeing gameplay for a brand new IP that they previously hadn't seen gameplay of? Oh, ok then. Good luck with that.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

It'll be released eventually.

Jim_Efantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

All the more reason I want to write professionally and not as a hobby. That being said I can understand bad press may be hard to dispel if poor footage or gameplay is made public. I guess for us non press types the wait continues!

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 more day until this stupid embargo is lifted. MEanwhile the press is going to hype it again with tweets,....

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.