Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Dec 07, 2009

Set 100 years after the events of The Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks introduces a new Hyrule where technology has advanced to the steam age, and an evil force, long-sealed in a tower, has been freed.

Pan flute issues

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Is anyone else playing Spirit Tracks having issues with the pan flute? I don't know if it's the game or my DS mic, but I'm having serious problems completing the parts where you play a song in time with the spirit to unlock the dungeons. I got through the first one OK, but the second and third both took me about a dozen tries, and it felt like pure luck when I did pull it off.

Playing the actual songs to solve puzzles in game has been working well as those are pretty simple, usually just two or three notes that are next to each other and they don't have to be in time. I've noticed that sometimes it's still 'playing' even after I've stopped blowing, so anything that requires me to skip over a note isn't working well. It's also sometimes doubling up my notes, like it's cutting out and coming back a split second later, which is probably what's screwing me on these spirit song parts.

Anyone else having similar issues? It would be really nice if there were a manual option or something I could enable instead of blowing into the mic, but I've looked through the options and found nothing like that.

raggedglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By raggedglory

I guess you could say the idea didnt PAN OUT
    but in regards to your question, I have had no issues so far, so maybe Im lucking out or if there's something wrong with your DS

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By TheMasterDS

Defiantly. The flute parts are one of several things about this game that are just terrible. 

Daveydave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Daveydave

The Pan Flute has been eratic on the sections were I need to play with the elders, but apart from that it has been pretty good. 

@TheMasterDS said:

" Defiantly. The flute parts are one of several things about this game that are just terrible.  "
    What else are you not liking about the game? I really think I am having more fun with this Zelda game than anything I have played for a long time! 
    TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By TheMasterDS
    @Daveydave: I don't like how the stealth returned, as that's always the worst part of a Zelda game, I don't like how I can walk away for 5 minutes of game time and miss nothing in the train sections, I don't like how I have to lean into my DS to use the fan, and I think the puzzles that aren't in the dungeons are simply massive wastes of time, particularly if you try a brute force approach. The game is riddled with bad design choices, and while, like the first, it does have the fun parts, they're too short and too far apart to be of any value. 

Nintendo needs to either cut the minigames out of their games and make 4 hour DS games that are actually fun, or add a skip button to all games. They could even add a little poll after you used it where it asked you if the reason you were skipping it was due to "Difficulty", "Glitchy", "Pointless Minigame", "Not Fun" and so on. With a little online multi they could pottentially get alot of information about the people who play their games.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Willy105

I haven't heard of it happening on Zelda ST until here, but I definitely had problems with Nintendogs. The game just didn't recognize my accent.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Kyreo

I haven't had trouble with the pan flute until just recently.  I reached a certain part where the flute was crucial and it won't register the notes I play or when I play  them.  I blew into the mic for 45 straight minutes until my head hurt... and failed.  I've just given up on it...

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Diamond

Yes, I've had terrible problems with the flute, completely unable to pass the first test.  Doesn't matter about background sound, how I blow, how close I am to the mic, and all other DS games with similar mechanics have worked fine.

I too have given up on it, but I hear you can buy a DS headset of some kind and that'll work.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Darkstar614

Well that's shitty... I didn't have any issues with my DS mic when I played it on DS Lite. Is this on a DSi or something?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond
    @Darkstar614: DS Lite bought on day 1 here.  I actually still have my old DS, maybe I should break that out and try it.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman

Mine works fine. It's a DS Lite. I barely blow and it picks it up easily.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fallen189
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " Mine works fine. It's a DS Lite. I barely blow and it picks it up easily. "
    I always find mine dead arsey with how it picks it up. Sometimes it just catches the end of my breath, but similarly, I'm on a DS Lite and I've had no real issues, I failed the first time when I didn't know what to do.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did manage to finish the game. What helped me the most was not blowing quite so hard and keeping the DS a little farther away from my face. Using the 'Mic Test' in the options menu is a good way to tell if your breath is getting picked up, which is what led me to that strategy, so I'd recommend trying that to anyone having trouble. And I used a DS Lite by the way.

I still think Nintendo messed up here. If I was playing on a DS with a broken mic or had weak lungs and physically couldn't perform the blowing, I'd be pissed. Just make the 'L' button function as a blow then the flute is up, problem solved.

cRaZyNeSs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By cRaZyNeSs

I have a day one DS Lite, and I'm having huge problems with this. With a constant breath I'm getting a very erratic response. Either nothing or multiple sounds as I move the flute to each note. Stupid Sand Sanctuary song!  I love Zelda games usually but I give up on this, its going on Goozex.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.