Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last Guardian

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 06, 2016

The Last Guardian is the long-delayed third game from Sony's Team Ico. Originally revealed in trailer form at E3 2009, the game was met with substantial delays but was reintroduced at E3 2015.

At Last, The Last Guardian - Impressions

• 69 results
    Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Whitestripes09

I feel like for this last season of games, mainstream journalists have been all over the fence on their opinion on these newer games. ACG on Youtube came out with his review for this and usually I find myself 1-to-1 agreeing with him on points about games, so I trust his judgement on this being a must buy, plus I've been so long waiting for this that any "extreme hype" I've felt has basically died down and come to terms that it's just a game. I am happy it's finally out though.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@karmosin said:

The framerate on normal PS4 may stop me from getting it. Hopefully there will be a patch to alleviate that a bit.

Right, this is not a good sign of things to come, as far as the existence of PS4 not affecting the base console. This game is passeble on Pro, not so much on PS4 (link to DF analysis here). I own the Pro so I am not talking for my personal benefit here, but the whole discussion of Pro games not supposed to have lower framerate should include not having a garbage framerate on the old console as well. This way Sony will push people off, if games come out with garbage settings on PS4 and will only be worth playing on Pro.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Loading Video...

20 fps seems real bad, and sad. They should have pushed it back a year or two to get it working properly. Releasing the game this way seems just embarrassing.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you guys getting the constant immersion breaking prompts too? Why is the game still teaching me how to jump and climb after a couple hours of play?

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@frostyryan: Peter Brown said in his review that they persist until the very end of the game.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@humanity said:

@frostyryan: Peter Brown said in his review that they persist until the very end of the game.

Oh no, that looked annoying in the quicklook even before they mentioned it! I know this game has bigger issues to patch, but I hope this gets adressed with an update!

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By xanadu

Loading Video...

20 fps seems real bad, and sad. They should have pushed it back a year or two to get it working properly. Releasing the game this way seems just embarrassing.

Let me tell you about this game called Shadow of the Colossus for PS2...

Newfangled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Newfangled

@xanadu said:
    @blu3v3nom07 said:

Launching on the PS5: The Last Guardian: Ultimate Edition. For $60, you too can play exactly the same game over again--but this time at a stable 60 FPS!

Sony has to both justify the next generation and beckon it in prematurely, after all.

Glad I didn't buy into this generation. I can wait.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:
    @blu3v3nom07 said:
    Loading Video...

Lol, yeah their games have always had bad framerate it's just nobody really noticed all that much back then, i know i didn't.

That said, my eyes can't take below 30fps anymore, but this game still looks pretty damn amazing to me so hopefully by the time i get it the price will drop and it will be patched for performance.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By kishinfoulux

Yeah Alex really downplayed the controls/camera on the QL. I can deal with the framerate shit, because Ueda games and all that. The camera and controls are borderline awful. Having to deal with enemies is an exercise in frustration. I'm doing a puzzle that requires me to open a door, via pulling a chain except I have like 6 dudes after me and it's kind of impossible. This isn't fun at all.

*edit*

Okay yeah fuck this game. I just did a bit where I had to cross this area. I immediately said to myself "I bet Trico could cross that!". Of course he doesn't feel like doing it so I have to do all this running around and platforming to get it done...except in the end guess what he does? He leaps across, which was basically a huge middle finger to me. He does this CONSTANTLY. You solve a puzzle and he's like "lol that's cute" and just leaps over whatever obstacle. It makes everything you do as the child feel meaningless, because ultimately Trico is just gonna give you the finger and find his own way across.

m2thek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started this with my girlfriend last night. Only just got out of the first area (~45 minutes), but we're enjoying it so far. Controls are clunky, and we haven't faced any real challenge yet, but looking forward to playing more.

assdroids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just some of my thoughts over at my blog. Check it out! :)

The Last Guardian - First Impressions

I'm not sure about the guidelines here for self-promotion but if I have broken a rule please remove this post.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's clunky and a technical mess, but Trico is so charming that I just kinda let everything else slide. Maybe it helps that I've lived with a dog and/or cat my whole life, so I can't help but be mesmerized by it's movements and reactions.

assdroids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: I agree 100%. Hands down the most realistic creature I have ever experienced in a video game.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

@xanadu said:
    @blu3v3nom07 said:
    Loading Video...

Let me tell you about this game called Odin Sphere for the PS2, and how its framerate dropped into the singles digits during boss fights.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@glots said:

It's clunky and a technical mess, but Trico is so charming that I just kinda let everything else slide. Maybe it helps that I've lived with a dog and/or cat my whole life, so I can't help but be mesmerized by it's movements and reactions.

This so much. I keep looking at my dog after playing it and it kind of almost freaks me out how similar the movement it.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished it minutes ago (on a stock PS4) and can agree with the comments above. It is a technical mess in terms of framerate dropping during random exploration and combat sequences, the camera being very frustrating, and Trico being a general pain in the ass to use efficiently. Also, the "press X to blah" prompts during the final battles (and even several dramatic moments where they literally covered a character) were a bit much.

Buuuuut... if you dig the Team Ico games, this is totally fine to play even on a normal PS4. The combat/action sequences (featuring human-type enemies, the rest are just puzzles) total less than 20 and there were only a couple that really required any strategy at all. The ending is suitably epic and rewarding and I can see how this belongs alongside Ico and SotC as a solid entry in the Ueda-san canon. Ico is still my favorite upon release, SotC was awesome but really frustrating until the PS3 re-release with a higher framerate, and this one isn't as action-heavy as SotC but still suffers from issues that hopefully a patch or much-later re-release will fix.

If you're a casual fan of the Team Ico games, this is safely a wait-for-price-drop game. If you're an Ico nut like me, it was a satisfying experience worth the occasional annoyance.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jim Sterling hates this.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By kishinfoulux

Alright so just beat the game. Yeah this is a bad video game. I feel too many people are giving it's issues a pass, because they feel some sort of attachment to Trico. By the time the game was over I breathed a sigh of relief. I have a dog so I can see why people relate. Difference is I love my dog and he actually listens to me and we have fun together. This game is not my dog. Spoiler thoughts ahoy!

I had little empathy for Trico, whenever he was in harms way because there was no reason to feel that way. "Oh Trico is hurt? Toss him a barrel he'll be fine!". "Oh Trico just got mauled by Evil Trico? No biggie". "What's that? Seven Evil Tricos nearly killed him? lol just kidding". It was borderline comedic. Trico just shrugs off everything and kills what little suspense I had. Was I supposed to feel bad for it? The thing has healing powers that would make Wolverine jealous.

Dealing with the armored goons was NEVER fun. Even with Trico it was a pain in the ass, because he's super inefficient about it. He just hops around instead of mauling them. It was an exercise in frustration. The game decided it needed padding too so Trico would just get hungry at certain points, just because. Ignoring the fact that I constantly gave him barrels. Just top to bottom when the game managed to be even mildly fun, I was immediately reminded of why I did not enjoy my playthrough very much.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.