Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Binding of Isaac

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 28, 2011

A twisted twin-stick shooter from one of the designers of Super Meat Boy. Players take control of Isaac, a young boy who delves deep into the dungeons of his basement as he is hunted by his deranged mother.

Wrath of the Lamb launches today.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Levius

Hey, has anybody else picked up the expansion.

I've done a few runs, it seems pretty cool. Some of the new enemies seem quite powerful for their level, and the trinkets are downright inscrutable.

It looks like there is a lot more ways to use life to get items, and two secret rooms on a level!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

I didn't realize this was coming out. Going to buy it right now.

Every time I see the logo for Titan Attacks on Steam, I always think it's something to do with Isaac at first glance.

After Diablo 3 it's nice to finally have some satan again.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By hbkdx12

played 2 games. Really diggin it a lot. Lots of new stuff

Not sure how trinkets work tho

The new ideas are really awesome. Adds new life to the game. 

Really impressed by the content of the DLC not to mention it's only 3 bucks

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By BisonHero

I really wish the trinkets gave SOME indication as to what they do.

All space-bar items and passive items at least give a weird little hint at what they do, and so do the pills. The tarot cards don't tell you so you have to memorize them, but you can generally tell what the effect is after using each tarot card (the tarot cards that teleport you might take you a couple times to figure out).

But with the trinkets, they seem to be passive effects that only trigger under specific/random circumstances, and I was only able to figure out the effect of 1 out of the 5 or 6 trinkets I had at various points. It would be nice if I wasn't pretty much forced to go to the wiki to figure out what any of them did.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hbkdx12
    @BisonHero: Yeah i hate that about the trinkets as well. Even after you have them equipped and use them for a for rooms there' s still no telling what it does. 

Just had an INSANELY overpowered run. Can't even recall all the things i had but i'll try

That's barely half of it. So much fun though.
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By ch3burashka

Wasn't aware it was out today - I recall him saying it was coming out at the end of May... Time to drop some cash.

Honestly though, if there isn't a Wrath of the Lamb 2, I will get just as bored with it as the original. Granted, I got my money's worth (150 hours) but by the end I was going through the motions. I guess you can't ask for much from 3 dollars and randomly-generated dungeons, but I still with there'd be a way to make it feel fresh without waiting for new content.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dillonwerner

How is this DLC? I haven't played much of Issac since its launch, but I played my fair share when it did come out.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By TwoLines

@DillonWerner said:

How is this DLC? I haven't played much of Issac since its launch, but I played my fair share when it did come out.

More items, more enemies, more dungeon layouts. Did you like Isaac? If so, you'll like this DLC.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hbkdx12
    @dudeglove: Yeah i like blood lust but i like it even more when i can get my base damage up to 4 or 5 from the start. Finding blood lust with judas while activating book of belial feels like a waste given how fast you can tear through a room

I rarely come across any old items and even when i do it's usually stuff i never really liked in the first place. The new items are great though. 

Trinkets have been hti or miss for me. Some of them as you said don't do anything until you're on the brink of death while others are extremely overpowered. Flat penny and bloody penny for example 

One thing i really hate though is the new hit detection on Mom's foot. It's so annoying and it makes the battle feel so much more difficult but in a very very cheap way. I was doing the spiderboy challenge and i walked into that battle with literally 14 (if not more) red hearts. I came out with 7. Also when you finally kill her and she explodes you take an extra hit of damage. WTF?!  Never in any of my 100 hours has Mom ever given me such grief. I hope they change it.

@DillonWerner: The new items, bosses and enemies are all top notch and make the game feel fresh again. However there are HUGE balancing issues they need to sort out
    theuselessgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13  Edited By theuselessgod

They really made this game a lot easier early on (can have some crazy runs with the new items).

I'm totally fine with this. I love the passive stuff; great idea.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BisonHero

Having now played it some more, I sorta don't like how heavily the item drop randomization is skewed towards the new items. I feel like I've picked up Technology 2 every single time I've played the game since getting the DLC. I've also been getting Jesus Juice, 3 Dollar Bill, Prayer Card, Holy Grail, Dead Dove, and Black Bean pretty much constantly. I would've enjoyed it if they were just thrown into the item pool, and I actually had to play the game 10 or 20 times before seeing all of the new items, instead of having pretty much all of them thrown in my face immediately.

Conversely, in the 7 or 8 playthroughs I've done, I barely encounter items that used to be common, like the Map and Compass which used to be in the shop fairly often.

Anyway, I enjoy the additions, though yeah, most of the new items seem broken as shit, and make your character godlike. Unfortunately, the new enemies are assholes that either move WAY too far in one jump or shoot WAY too many shots, making me pretty much give up on ever getting Dark Boy. I think Basement Boy and Mama's Boy are still quite possible, but Spelunker Boy seems tougher, since the Catacombs can be a bitch.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hbkdx12
    @dudeglove: If it was just a matter of her being faster i wouldn't mind but the new hit detection is just frustrating. Before you could stand in mom's foot shadow and not take a hit as long as the actual foot didn't touch you. Not the case anymore and because of it it pushes me out closer to the edges of the room where i'm either getting hit/spawned on by an enemy or mom reaches her hand out. I just hate feeling that if i don't go in there now OP or with tons of health that im screwed with no recourse

on a side note they nerfed tech 2 :( Although they needed to i hate that they did. I loved that damn thing. I don't like the way they nerfed it either by having it reduce your damage stats. Really shoots you in the foot if your playing as judas and/or you got a few damage buffs before hand.  

@BisonHero

: There's definitely some balance needed in terms of the drop frequency of the new items, but being that the DLC is still new, i'm kind of happy about it at least for the time being because i like the fact it allows me to get a better feel of the newer items and how fun they are and potentially can be. I would hate it more if i felt i rarely came across newer items throughout my games. 

I generally find the new enemies not to be too demanding. A lot of people seem to really hate the new spider enemies including the widow. A lot of people act like they're gamebreaking that they show up so early in the game. But they're really not that hard as long as you keep your distance. They're pretty much like hoppers who slide instead of hop
    BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BisonHero

@hbkdx12 said:

@BisonHero: There's definitely some balance needed in terms of the drop frequency of the new items, but being that the DLC is still new, i'm kind of happy about it at least for the time being because i like the fact it allows me to get a better feel of the newer items and how fun they are and potentially can be. I would hate it more if i felt i rarely came across newer items throughout my games.

I generally find the new enemies to be too demanding. A lot of people seem to really hate the new spider enemies including the widow. A lot of people act like they're gamebreaking that they show up so early in the game. But they're really not that hard as long as you keep your distance. They're pretty much like hoppers who slide instead of hop

They're more like flaming hoppers, in that they can leap like half the length of the room, and when there's 6 of them in the room, you're almost guaranteed to get hit, especially if there are any webs on the floor. Sure, a single room of them won't kill you, but a lot of new enemies in the cellar and catacombs move so quickly and erratically that they wear you down, as you take half a heart of damage in most rooms unless you do crazy amounts of damage.

I think the widows just move too far in one slide (it's seriously like twice as far as a hopper or leaper), and basically all of the spider enemies are bullshit.

Also, would it kill McMillen and Himsl to update the credits to include the enemies from the Halloween update and the enemies from Wrath of the Lamb?

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hbkdx12
    @BisonHero: The spiders with the faces are pretty much like flaming hoppers and they can be overwhelming in numbers but again, i still don't think they're drastically different from something like flaming hoppers where you can't imploy the same strategies. 

The only problem that i have with both types of spiders is that sometimes when they jump/slide close to me but i'm technically just an inch out of their range, they should stop for a second and then jump/slide again but instead what happens is that after the first jump/slide animation, if i'm close enough, they'll just inch their way into me right after that initial move w/o any break in animation

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.