Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

How Much Have YOU Made Selling (TF2) Hats on the Market?

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hitchenson

So, you can sell your Team Fortress 2 hats and the like on the Steam market now. In the past 20ish minutes, I've made £12.58 22.08* and I've still got a ton more listed as well!

The fact people actually pay money for this shit cracks me up to no bounds. How much have you made so far?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Maybe I'll try it. I never cared that much for hats and stuff, the random item drops in matches were always enough for me.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm not sure why it cracks you up; it's the same as buying skins in any other game.

I've got a handful of pretty rare hats/unusuals; I'm sure between TF2 and Dota 2 I could make $100-300, but the items are worth more to me than the money is.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

It's true Sarah! My second cousin twice removed makes $6000 a month selling hats on the TF2 marketplace! She quit her job and now spends her time sailing around the world on her personal yacht selling TF2 hats! You can too! Just goto scam.com/tf2hats!

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I saw a Youtube video where a guy unboxed an Unusual Team Captain (I think? I know it was a soldiers hat but I don't remember which) and he had an annotation that said he'd sold it for $1300. Not Monopoly money, either. Real, cold cash. Who the hell would pay $1300 for a hat? It boggles my mind.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hitchenson

I'm not sure why it cracks you up; it's the same as buying skins in any other game.

I find that hilarious as well.

Nickieroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Nickieroonie
    I'm as confused as you are.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Nothing.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By BisonHero

@nickieroonie said:

Motherfuckers be crazy about Bill's Hat.

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@nickieroonie said:

Motherfuckers be crazy about Bill's Hat.

It was Left 4 YOU, Why'd you sell it?

Nickieroonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@pudge: the real question is why wouldn't I sell it!

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By I_smell

I know the guy who made Teddy Roosebelt for the Engineer and sold it on Steam Workshop.

Ten thousand dollars! No joke! Turned out to be a big favourite aswel.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

How do you know what to set the prices at when you sell something? Do you just put in a minimum or maximum? Or do you have to check that hat against other's of the same kind, see what they're going for and set it at that price? I never knew you could sell hats for steam wallet money, so I'm a little confused.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have some buds how much would those go for?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nickieroonie said:

Again, that's not even the worst. I've seen Unusuals go for over a thousand dollars. It's insane. Absolutely insane.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No money on hats, but I made like $4 selling guns. I'm okay with that.

You need to buy tickets in order to play on servers where hats drop, though, yes?

Does anyone know if you can mix/combine when you buy a game in the store - so for example I'll buy Bioshock infinite with a credit card, but take my dirty, $4, virtual gun-money and put it towards that?

@jams said:

How do you know what to set the prices at when you sell something? Do you just put in a minimum or maximum? Or do you have to check that hat against other's of the same kind, see what they're going for and set it at that price? I never knew you could sell hats for steam wallet money, so I'm a little confused.

I just search for the name of the thing inside the market. So for example if you have a pair of Pyrovision goggles, you search for it and you'll see that the asking price is ~$0.12 or regional equivalent, and how many there are for sale. If you click the item you'll see what it's been selling for throughout the items lifetime.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HaltIamReptar

More or less legitimate than bitcoins? That's the real question.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's fucking great! Ahhh.

You've just got your Summer sale funds... from selling a virtual hat.

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I made about 300$. Spent like 30(?), not a lot. Then I also got scammed by some Australians, and stopped playing TF2. I have a distaste for Australians now as a bonus.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@xymox said:

No money on hats, but I made like $4 selling guns. I'm okay with that.

You need to buy tickets in order to play on servers where hats drop, though, yes?

Does anyone know if you can mix/combine when you buy a game in the store - so for example I'll buy Bioshock infinite with a credit card, but take my dirty, $4, virtual gun-money and put it towards that?

@jams said:

I just search for the name of the thing inside the market. So for example if you have a pair of Pyrovision goggles, you search for it and you'll see that the asking price is ~$0.12 or regional equivalent, and how many there are for sale. If you click the item you'll see what it's been selling for throughout the items lifetime.

No, hats drop just like normal items. They just have incredibly low drop rates.

As for splitting, I'm almost positive you can, unless money earned from Steam Wallet sales works differently than money that I've added to my Steam Wallet through my credit card. I regularly have extra dollars/cents laying around in my Steam Wallet and you can choose whether to use it or not (and combine it with a credit card if it doesn't fully cover your purchase) at checkout.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By xymox

As for splitting, I'm almost positive you can, unless money earned from Steam Wallet sales works differently than money that I've added to my Steam Wallet through my credit card. I regularly have extra dollars/cents laying around in my Steam Wallet and you can choose whether to use it or not (and combine it with a credit card if it doesn't fully cover your purchase) at checkout.

Cool, I'll have to try that.

More or less legitimate than bitcoins? That's the real question.

selling virtual items dropped in a digitally distributed game to other players for real money you can use to buy other digitally distributed games

vs

spending a bunch of time letting your computer/"mining rig"/botnet do pointless math so that you can pay a some dude across the globe without also paying banks or governments in the transaction

I dunno. People have been selling MMO-characters, items and in-game currencies ever since MMO's popped into existence pretty much, and it's always been shady. But whatever. If you wanna buy this stupid hat, I will sell you this stupid hat.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What kind of people invest so much and get involved this hardcore into virtual skins and items for a cartoony online shooter? God damn son. Human obsessions are strange monkeys.

Also, I think Kickstarter and this Steam item market have now proven beyond doubt that there are thousands of kids around the world who have accumulated fortunes they're willing to spend on trivial game-related offers and items.

@nickieroonie said:

So cray.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hitchenson

I have some buds how much would those go for?

£25 on the eighth.

I'm sorry.

Avatar image for theglitchmaster
    TheGlitchmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A friend of mine sold an unusual hat for 400$ once. He went on vacation with the money.

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#26  Edited By CollegeGuyMike

It's kind of a bummer, a lot of the items I used to have that would be worth anything now I ended up purging in my exit from TF2 around two years ago. I did make like $6 - 8 selling cards/crates today though, so that's cool. All the vintages I have now are pretty worthless and I never got into buying keys or unlocking crates so I was unable to get any super weird stranges or any of the festive guns that are worth a helluva lot right now.

I didn't realize til today you can't just sell straight up regular drops after whatever update, probably the F2P one. That's kinda weird? Is it because the market is still in beta?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.