Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Street Fighter pros offering paid lessons.

• 57 results
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By apathylad

I saw this posted on Joystiq, and found it pretty funny. I mean, are hardcore Guitar Hero players going to offer fake guitar lessons soon? 

In case you're wondering how much Sensei Wong offers for his teachings, this was posted on eventhubs

• Justin Wong, Xbox Live, $50 per hour, tournament level characters: Rufus, Abel, Balrog, Makoto.

• Mike Ross, Xbox Live, $45 per hour, tournament level characters: E. Honda, Ken, Blanka 

• Martin "Marn" Phan, Xbox Live, $40 per hour, tournament level characters: Dudley, C. Viper, Abel

• Ryan "Gootecks" Gutierrez, Xbox Live/PlayStation 3, $40 per hour, tournament level characters: Balrog, Guile, Rose     

Personally, the only way I'd pay Wong $50 is if he starts telling me that I'm gonna eat hadoukens and crap Ultra Combos. How much would you guys pay for this service? Whatever your opinion is, at least it's not as bad as paying girls to play Xbox with you. 

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

....? this is fucking stupid. the price, anyway. 50$ for VIDEO GAME lessons? :\ 

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jack268

These guys obviously know some stuff since they're so successful, the question is if they can communicate this knowledge so that their "apprentice" understands and puts it to use. It is a very nice service if they can do this, but $50 is maybe a bit too harsh.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Jeust
    @AjayRaz said:
    " ....? this is fucking stupid. the price, anyway. 50$ for VIDEO GAME lessons? :\  "
    I bet someone will pay. 
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

lol and I'll bet there'll be plenty who pay up aswell.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Mmmslash

This has been going on for years, it's just that Xbox Live makes it easier.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Vonocourt

$40 for Gootecks.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By demontium

I will offer my lessons for 30$ an hour, now thats a steal! 

Any takers?

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By ricetopher

Why the fuck would anyone take lessons from Gootecks? Has he even won a major tournament? 

Maybe his lessons cover stick throwing...

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By George_Hukas

It exists because there is a demand for it. 

@Abyssfull said:

" lol and I'll bet there'll be plenty who pay up aswell. "
    I bet they will never tell!
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lunar_Aura

It's a stupid service if you have no use for it and only stupid people would use it if they know they couldn't benefit from it. 

I don't see anything wrong with this model given that people pay more than that at any given First-to-5 money match challenge knowing full well the likelihood that they'd lose.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By VicRattlehead
    @ricetopher: hell yeh gootecks stick throwing joke

tbh id take lesson of mike ross.... if only because id pretend he was whispering sweet nothings in my ear.... 

what?
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Gabriel

I'd pay Diago 50 bucks... 

to make him Play MK2.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By JJOR64
    @Vonocourt said:

" $40 for Gootecks.

"
    I know that Cammy player.  Lawlz.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By lordofultima

I don't see what the big deal is. Time is money.

Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Necrotrophic

i would feel pretty bad about myself if i paid for this.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

I'm not very good at this game, yet I would never pay someone to teach me.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By hockeymask27

Gootecks is unaware he has taught me for free. 

MarceloAbans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MarceloAbans
    @AjayRaz said:

" ....? this is fucking stupid. the price, anyway. 50$ for VIDEO GAME lessons? :\  "

Yes if it was a video game like I don't know Bejewled yes but this game like maybe an MMO like WoW is something you actually get better at with experience. Like :GASP!: anything else you do in life. These guys make a living playing "video games". No one ever makes fun of the kid throwing pitches for hours, or someone practicing 100 jump shots.. And what's the percentages of someone actually becoming pro? Something like 1-3% of all people who actually try. This is just as legitimate as any other "sport". Shit if they can have chess at the olympics and I think this qualifies as well.

@Atomasist said:

" I'm not very good at this game, yet I would never pay someone to teach me. "

All depends on how serious you want to be with it. Some people take guitar lessons with no reason to ever become a big star, yet play for lessons because it's something cool they can do amongst their circle of friends.. I'm sure those who pay really want to get better because they have aspirations of not being a stream monster.
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By killroycantkill
    @lordofultima said:
    " I don't see what the big deal is. Time is money. "
    Time is money but I think the big deal is the price. I've taken guitar lessons that arn't even half that amount. Maybe if it was something more reasonable like $10 bucks an hour, but that is still a big maybe.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By scarace360

if i was ever that desperate to get better than ya i would pay but as of now no i wouldnt.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By ArcBorealis

The idea sounds good.  
    Not so much the price.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RsistncE
    @AjayRaz said:
    Anyone who pays for VIDEO GAME LESSONS is a fucking idiot. There really is nothing else more than be said than that.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By StaticFalconar

Shit on this all you  want guys, but for people that regularly enter tournaments and never place in the money, they might as well have spent the 50 they would have lost on two weekends of tournies and get a lesson to up their game. It really doesn't seem so silly when you consider that fact that money matches happens (besides tournies) but most of us aren't exactly near any scene to get the benefits out of it.  

Would I pay for it? No, only because I know what I have to work on and paying someone to teach me the basics isn't what this is about. 

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gosukiller
    @Killroycantkill said:

" @lordofultima said:

" I don't see what the big deal is. Time is money. "
    Time is money but I think the big deal is the price. I've taken guitar lessons that arn't even half that amount. Maybe if it was something more reasonable like $10 bucks an hour, but that is still a big maybe. "
    10 bucks is probably a waste of time for people at this level. Supply and demand is what makes that 40-50 bucks reasonable. I'm sure there are plenty of people who aspire to become pros and want the personal attention of these winners and stick thrower.
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I don't know about Super, but I would pay Mike Ross $40 to be my hype-man anytime I wanted.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By scarace360

Can i just give jared 20$ and he teachs me how to play balrog.

KingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KingGamer

Wow, paying money to learn how to play a video game.... I don't care if they are pros either. It's not like they can teach you to be a world champion. >.>

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By skrutop

That's the problem with hiring Americans; they charge too much.  You gotta think like most companies and offshore that shit.  I bet Gamerbee would teach me Adon for $5, and he'd probably send over some Taiwanese candies or something, too.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Some of the problems with the pricing structure are not limited to: 

1) Fees don't seem to take into consideration the lack of established value for the money. Yes, they are tournament winners. How many tournament placers have been trained by them to ensure consumer confidence? 
    2) They would benefit by offering a free 15-minute introductory session. The first 10 minutes could be entirely gameplay while the last 5 minutes would be a very general sample assessment of how to improve AND what they would teach. 
    3) They are professional gamers who have perfected their individual techniques for mastering fighting games. They aren't professional instructors who will benefit the many skill levels and personalities of which they're intending. 

The idea is in the right place. The pricing and delivery structure is not.  

Of course, I've thought up a dozen other things. I just didn't list it because it's not my service and why should I contribute so much for free?

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By c1337us

Only an idiot of the highest order would pay good cash for video game lessons.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MysteriousBob

Anyone who pays for this deserves to have their arse kicked. 

In real life.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lunar_Aura

People paying for services to improve upon something are clearly retard.
    Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Necrotrophic
    @MarceloAbans said:
    " @AjayRaz said:

Yes if it was a video game like I don't know Bejewled yes but this game like maybe an MMO like WoW is something you actually get better at with experience. Like :GASP!: anything else you do in life. These guys make a living playing "video games". No one ever makes fun of the kid throwing pitches for hours, or someone practicing 100 jump shots.. And what's the percentages of someone actually becoming pro? Something like 1-3% of all people who actually try. This is just as legitimate as any other "sport". Shit if they can have chess at the olympics and I think this qualifies as well.

@Atomasist said:

" I'm not very good at this game, yet I would never pay someone to teach me. "

All depends on how serious you want to be with it. Some people take guitar lessons with no reason to ever become a big star, yet play for lessons because it's something cool they can do amongst their circle of friends.. I'm sure those who pay really want to get better because they have aspirations of not being a stream monster. "
    In all seriousness, Street Fighter is not on the same level as chess or a sport. It cant ever be, not until its made and regulated by an organization not in it for the sole purpose of commercial success. Thats a vague term though, but its the same reason football is not an olympic sport. Theres only one serious organization, thats commercial, and is willing to bend the rules to make the game more fun to watch.  Football today is a radically different sport than it was just 20 years ago.

If Street Fighter is to become a serious competitive game (serious enough to be in the olympics) then the following must be removed: 
    Ultras - These are there for the sole purpose of giving everyone a chance to win. You dont say "Team A is losing so any shots they make are all three pointers"
    Supers- Unfair, because it benefits the person who is more offensive. A baseball team who is winning does not get to have someone on first base simply because they are winning.
    All Glitches - Self explanatory  
    Hp must be even across the board, Capcoms arbitrary, and often nonsensical "balancing" efforts arent that good. 
    There would be a good chance that it would have to be only one selectable character, because balancing a full roster and actually OBJECTIVELY achieving balance is near impossible. 

Also, music offers society more than video game playing. Sorry, but its true. The utility is clearly in favor of music, which does more than shape your reflexes. Also, the purpose of music is art. The purpose of Street Fighter is money. Dont believe me? What would Capcom do if Street Fighter didnt sell anymore? Thats right, focus on resident evil etc, like they already did. Street Fighter is a fun game and all, but if you take it too seriously, then you dont have your priorities straight. Even if you go and win Evo, what happens when your reflexes deteriorate with age? You dont really make any kind of living playing street fighter unless you win all the important tournaments, whereas athletes make a lot of money even if theyre on a bad team. To top it off, the only people who will watch street fighter events are people who understand the game, whereas many people watch sports and dont really understand everything, and certainly dont play it. Video games have glitches and sports dont. Olympic sports are also judged by several judges, and not one commercial entity that makes up rules so that more people buy it.
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Plasma

How awkward is it gonna be when the hour is up? 

"yeah ok its over" 
    "wait but-" "Player has disconnected" 
    " :'( "

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Belonpopo

I can learn twice as much from people on this site for free.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By animateria

I think some people would pay that much to play with some of these players.

It's something sort of a money match... You're gonna lose, but at least you get to play with the best.

Of course even if you win... You lose.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RE_Player1

Like Jeff said in a podcast," I never want to be that good at SF. I play by feel baby."

MarceloAbans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MarceloAbans
    @Killroycantkill:  Riiight a professional musician is going to teach someone a musical instrument 10 dollars an hour. There really isn't any reason for anyone to think that the price of a pro teaching a session is a big deal, unless you are looking for that sort of thing. Complaining about a price of something you wouldn't even consider paying for is just dumb. It just doesn't make any sense.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jeffsekai

I hear when Gootecks went to Japan he charged them 40$

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By 234r2we232

Spend some time training with me, and I will teach you to be a mediocre Sakura player.

The best darn mediocre Sakura player. Yes.

I can't promise that you'll learn anything - I mean, I'm not a real good teacher. You also might not be much of a learner.

But the offer is there.

killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By killroycantkill
    @MarceloAbans: Ok my hostility, calm down for a sec and let me explain. I said I had guitar lessons for half the price, never mentioned that it was a profesional gutiarist, but someone who is good to the point were I can't tell the difference because I don't play that well to begin with. And as Necro said, professional "gamers" don't have a lot of leway, its not like I'm paying 50 bucks for Jeff Beck to teach me lessons, because I'm not going to become rich and famous off of SF.  And lastly no where in my post did I say that I wouldn't be interested. I believe I said the word "Maybe" which last time I checked leaves a chance of agreeing to said proposal.

Being trained by a "professional" SF plays won't and will not reap the same benifits as if I was training with a elite quartback to learn the ins and outs of football. Until as necro said, if SF or games somehow becomes a sport and I have the possibility of making any sort of money close to a full time job then sure I'll do it. But aiming this at $50 an hours is straight bad business. You're going to get the one guy who wants to play but if you're planning to make money off it setting the pricepoint that high is not going to make it a lasting income model. 

@Jeffsekai said:
    " I hear when Gootecks went to Japan he charged them 40$ "

*Comedic Drum Riff*
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By lordofultima
    @Killroycantkill: I dunno about that elite quarterback line. The whole comparison to football is moot, that's something based on physical ability. He can't tell you to throw the ball further, because you have a weak puny arm that can't throw it any further.
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By killroycantkill
    @lordofultima: Obviously theres differences, but it was just a general statement to get a point across. Football was the first thing that came to mind because my dad was watching it in the other room.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

If I can have a drink with Mike Ross after, maybe... :)

biggblack86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By biggblack86

nevar would i pay for such atrocities to the fighting community.... good day sir.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CaptainObvious

For 20 bucks I can teach you the art of Jab.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Raymayne

Nothing new tbh. I'm not particularly familiar with SF scene but Halo pro's have been charging a fee for lessons for a very long time, pro Halo player Tom 'TSquared' Taylor created his own gaming lessons site, charging around $50 for lessons, $50 for friend requests, etc, you could even pay about $500 and go stay at his house for a few nights to practice with him in person (and yes, hundreds of people did actually pay that amount), this has earnt almost a million dollars over the past few years and I'm not surprised to see other pro gamer's start to offer paid lessons. There is nothing that could tempt me to pay that sort of money, and I speak as someone who has a great love for competitive gaming, but there is definitely a 'market' for this sort of stuff and will earn these guys a lot of money.

dundisputed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dundisputed

is it really that hard to believe? When something is "competitive" sports or gaming the general way of thinking is how can i get the "competitive" edge?
    Athletes resort to tons of over the counter supplements as well as HGH in most cases ruining their bodies for a "competitve"edge...
    The vast majority of them also have personal trainers to work on the weaker points of their game year round as well, as stay in shape.
    Oddly games are the same atleast when you wanna be tourney level...people will do anything for the "competitive" edge, just think of reading and watching free videos as your over the counter supplements,while paying justin wong to teach you how to play Rufus as well as he does is your HGH, true the prices are lunacy but just think athletes not only pay too much for HGH but they pay the ulimate price....their weiner shrinks...smdh...

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By darkvare

well the joker said it better if you can do something better than many never do it for free

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.