Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Official Beginners Thread

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By lordofultima

To those new to the game, this thread is for you. If you have nubby questions to ask about game mechanics or anything else, ask them here. We will hopefully get a Super Street Fighter IV beginners guide going like we did with the Vanilla SFIV guide. For now I'll link you to the Street Fighter IV Beginners Guide since a lot of that stuff will undoubtedly come in handy in Super Street Fighter IV.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Scooper

YO WHAT DOES 'SRK' MEAN?????????????????????????

also what does 'mashing' mean in SSFIV??? is it like in smash brothers when i hit all the kick and punch buttons ???????? whats wrong with that???????

healp plx

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lordofultima
    @Scooper said:
    " YO WHAT DOES 'SRK' MEAN?????????????????????????  also what does 'mashing' mean in SSFIV??? is it like in smash brothers when i hit all the kick and punch buttons ???????? whats wrong with that??????? healp plx "
    Banned.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Probably not a noob question, but what do you think of the new chars for newer players

HDTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By HDTran
    @addictedtopinescent said:
    " Probably not a noob question, but what do you think of the new chars for newer players "
    My analysis of the new characters based on playing it at WonderCon, game footage, initial impressions/abilities from various internet sources: 
    • Adon - Low execution requirement. Word on the street is that he doesn't have any links, but if he does have any then he'll jump right up to hard execution most likely since the discovered links will probably be 1-frame links. Regardless, he's a simple character that will probably be hard to win against anyone who is good. Can probably snub out other new players easily though since new players have always had problems dealing with Jaguar Tooth.
    • Cody - Low to mid-level execution requirement. Cody is extraordinarily easy to do links with, his windows for it are huge. c.LP > c.LP > c.MP is ridiculously easy to do (along with the many variations) and his cancels look both logical and easy to connect. His versatility and damage will easily let him hang with the best in the game if not be one of the best and easiest characters to play in the game. Definitely a good beginner character.
    • Deejay - Low to mid-level execution requirement. He looks and feels exactly like Super Turbo Deejay. Again, like Cody, easy links with his classic c.LP > c.LP > c.MP xx Sobat kicks. His dash is amazingly good and allows him to follow fireballs easily like Guile and he's just in general pretty solid. He's beginner friendly because, like Guile, he probably won't need many combos to be effectively used. Good control of projectiles and normals should win you most of your games, even against good characters.
    • Dudley - Low to mid-level execution requirement. Strings/target combos allow Dudley to be played with very little in terms of hard links. Throw in some easy and logical cancels, especially into ultra and you have a very easy character to play. He's going to be a very logical and easy to understand character to play with strength of a top-tier character (many project him to be the best in the game), so will definitely be a popular choice.
    • Guy - Low to mid-level execution requirement. Guy benefits again from target combos, making his main combo very easy to do in place of hard to time links. His moves, traps, and tricks seem pretty basic and he may have a tough time gettting in against better players. Probably not beginner friendly in the sense of winning battles, especially against decent opponents. He'll definitely have to work for his wins way more than A3 Guy.
    • Hakan - Low execution requirement. Hakan is a grappler, simple as that. He doesn't have many hard links from the looks of it, but his move set should be enough. Keeping up the oil-state and not having easy ways to keep people out of your face should make beginners cringe. But he should be decent at all levels of play once you get the hang of staying oiled and figuring out how to force situations with his normals.
    • Ibuki - Low to high-level execution requirement. She is easier to play than her 3S counterpart due to her health and damage output being better than that game. Add to the fact that target combos remove the need for hard links and she pretty much is a lot easier to play. She'll probably initially seem very powerful, even at low-level play due to the priority and ease of her moves--basically beginners can find it very easy to play a "basic" Ibuki and win in this game--whereas her damage output in 3S didn't allow her beginners to do that with her. The requirement of super jump cancels into her moves and potentially hard to execute mixups could make her very hard to play at the top-level though, especially for a beginner.
    • Juri - Low to potentially high-level execution requirement. Juri is probably the biggest X-factor in the cast with the likeliest chance of interesting stuff (that would be usable in real play) to be found. Her ability to store projectile and continue combos could potentially require players to have great execution to play. On the other hand, she could be as simple as she looks with great dive kicks into ultra, simple priority moves and counters, and simple AA fireball/ > FADC > Ultra combos. She does have some great priority, decent normals, and an easy-to-decent to combo Ultra so she definitely isn't going to be a totally weak character.
    • Makoto - Mid to high-level execution requirement. Makoto's execution requirement could potentially be very high based on the timing on Kara-Karakusa. It looks like she'll have to kara her old command throw to be able to many of the powerful mixups she is known for in 3S. Some moderate to hard to execute links and general speed/special priority should make her a poor beginner character. Her power isn't known yet, but based on sheer damage output and mixup power alone--she should allow her to be a very strong character at all levels of play.
    • T. Hawk - Low execution requirement. Standard grappler character, finally not trash due to tweaks and additions. He has some great normals, has some good priority on his specials, has ways to get in (especially from his new special), does great throw damage, and has good health. He's everything you basically want in a grappler and because of that, he'll probably be very good at all levels of play.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lordofultima
    @HDTran: You really think grapplers have a "low" execution requirement? YA 360 motion is pretty tough for new players I would imagine, especially considering they probably won't know how to do standing SPD's and will have a hard time getting in to do damage, since they'll be getting hit with a barrage of fireballs. I never knew how to command grab in SFII as a child, it was the only character I had no understanding of.  

I can understand in terms of link combos or something since they don't have many, but Hakan has some interesting dash cancel stuff which deepens his combo potential quite a bit, not to mention oiling up.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By demontium
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " YO WHAT DOES 'SRK' MEAN?????????????????????????  also what does 'mashing' mean in SSFIV??? is it like in smash brothers when i hit all the kick and punch buttons ???????? whats wrong with that??????? healp plx "
    Banned. "
    Make sure to IP ban.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By napalm

I'm pretty ready to answer any charge-character related questions and give the beginners some help.

Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Iceman2913

can I@Napalm: 
    does dee jay really need a stick to be good with

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Stang

Assemble my Ken army. I shall show you the way.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Scooper said:
    SRK stands for Self Righteous Ken, IE. Stang
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Stang
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @Scooper said:
    SRK stands for Self Righteous Ken, IE. Stang "
    Is that supposed to be an insult?
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Scooper said:
    Scooper was in the Ginger Beer here.
    Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Liam_mk

Here's a noob question, does playing as Ken make you a bad person?

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Stang
    @Liam_mk said:
    " Here's a noob question, does playing as Ken make you a bad person? "
    yes.
    Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Liam_mk
    @Stang said:
    " @Liam_mk said:
    " Here's a noob question, does playing as Ken make you a bad person? "
    yes. "
    How about Ryu?
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Stang: I would never insult the godlyness that is Ken, now everybody get down and dance: 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By Yummylee

Is Dan still just a joke character? Or is genuinly a decent character when you know how to play him?

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Abyssfull said:
    " Is Dan still just a joke character? Or is genuinly a decent character when you know how to play him? "
    Dan was decent in SF4
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By Yummylee
    @Jeffsekai:
    ..Exxxxcellent.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stang
    @StaticFalconar: Passive aggressive...hm, not my style. I am a bit self righteous, I have to be. I catch flak to this very day for using Ken, shit I still get called flowchart by a few people here/sore losers on Live. It is extremely convenient for people to call a person a flowchart scrub when they get their ass whooped.

I rep Ken hard, don't hate.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

If anyone cares. I got to play the game a bit early.  

If you got any simple questions. 

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By napalm
    @Iceman2913 said:

" can I @Napalm:  does dee jay really need a stick to be good with "

A stick will help you get better with anybody regardless of who you use. It will tighten up and fasten your execution if you're dedicated.

The reports I'm hearing is that Dee Jay isn't very good. He has an awkward-hitting anti air and he seems he'll be the new Guile of SSFIV.

@Abyssfull said:
    " Is Dan still just a joke character? Or is genuinly a decent character when you know how to play him? "

Dan isn't really a joke anymore, considering his U2 is a pretty useful, huge, Gadouken.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Stang

Dan was never a joke in my opinion. Now he has more tools, that is all.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yo, what're footsies?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By napalm
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " Yo, what're footsies? "

No Caption Provided
    MVP1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MVP1101

Does anyone know if there is a training mode like the one in SFIV in this one?  

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

" If anyone cares. I got to play the game a bit early.   If you got any simple questions.  "

Can you use color 11 and 12 on alt costumes?

Do you have to unlock the ability to play the player 2 character themes, or is it a simple menu option available from the start?

If two players each pick random select and then rematch, are new random fighters selected?

Is the button config. the smart HD Remix way, or still the stupid SFIV way?

Are there all new titles and icons, or is it the same stuff that was in SFIV?

Are there any small changes that you really like and that haven't really been talked about yet? 
    HDTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HDTran
    @lordofultima:  Well I was trying Hakan with a lot of good players from NorCal at WonderCOn, he was one of the characters I was most interested in. His oil mechanic won't be fun for new players, but he doesn't have anything really "hard" to do honestly. This is not to say that Hakan won't have interesting match-ups and decisions to make, just that he doesn't have hard execution requirements.

As for 360 motions, it's not hard. Especially in the whole scheme of things. Hard would be like doing C. Viper's Fierce > Feint > Fierce combos, one frame links, etc. things that some players may never get the hang of.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @HDTran: With the way command throws whiff, doing tick throws does take skill as well as walking 720s (something I didn't know existed until a month ago) and other shenanagins that people that main grapplers would know about. Just because its not a combo doesn't mean the level of execution is immediately bumped down a notch. 
    Draco9898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Draco9898

I have to get some money, but I plan on playing using a normal controller and playing on PS3, tell me if you want to play in a couple of days. I'll probably be playing T. Hawk..(yes, I'll actually use T. Hawk, I'm not joking...) I'll also play Adon and Hakun.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lordofultima
    @HDTran said:
    " @lordofultima:  Well I was trying Hakan with a lot of good players from NorCal at WonderCOn, he was one of the characters I was most interested in. His oil mechanic won't be fun for new players, but he doesn't have anything really "hard" to do honestly. This is not to say that Hakan won't have interesting match-ups and decisions to make, just that he doesn't have hard execution requirements. As for 360 motions, it's not hard. Especially in the whole scheme of things. Hard would be like doing C. Viper's Fierce > Feint > Fierce combos, one frame links, etc. things that some players may never get the hang of. "
    To be honest, some people can't even get the hang of fireball or ultra motions. You have to lower the bar on the giant bomb forums.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Yeah, I was just thinking this has to be the least beginner friendly "beginners thread" I've ever seen.  Just imagine reading some of this stuff and knowing almost NOTHING about Street Fighter.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Scooper
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @Scooper said:
    Scooper was in the Ginger Beer here. "
    No I wasn't.

@Iceman2913 said:
    " can I@Napalm:  does dee jay really need a stick to be good with "
    Nahh you don't need a stick for DeeJay. Infact I'm going back to my controller specifically to play DeeJay. You can use what you feel comfortable with and still do all his combos just fine.
    Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Iceman2913
    @Napalm: 
    Okay thanks guess I will stick with guy
    Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Iceman2913
    @Liam_mk: 
    no Ryu and Ken are some of the most balanced characters in the game
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I am most likely gonna get this tonight at midnight. And maybe pick up a fight pad. (PS3) 

HDTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HDTran
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @HDTran: With the way command throws whiff, doing tick throws does take skill as well as walking 720s (something I didn't know existed until a month ago) and other shenanagins that people that main grapplers would know about. Just because its not a combo doesn't mean the level of execution is immediately bumped down a notch.  "
    No doubt. I'm definitely not discrediting grapplers or the amount of effort it takes to win, but in the whole scheme of things, they are low in execution. I do get what you're saying about the walking ultra tech though since I saw it on a stream at West Coast Warzone and that will probably bump up a character like Zangief and T. Hawk. But probably not someone like Hakan who everyone is banking on the air throw/catch ultra. It's like how I'm not going to bump Chun Li into hard execution just because she can do dash > Ultra or (usually from some link or CH hazanshu > ) cr.LP > Ultra for example.  It may not be required or even practical to use to play said characters.

@lordofultima said:
    " @HDTran said:
    " @lordofultima:  Well I was trying Hakan with a lot of good players from NorCal at WonderCOn, he was one of the characters I was most interested in. His oil mechanic won't be fun for new players, but he doesn't have anything really "hard" to do honestly. This is not to say that Hakan won't have interesting match-ups and decisions to make, just that he doesn't have hard execution requirements. As for 360 motions, it's not hard. Especially in the whole scheme of things. Hard would be like doing C. Viper's Fierce > Feint > Fierce combos, one frame links, etc. things that some players may never get the hang of. "
    To be honest, some people can't even get the hang of fireball or ultra motions. You have to lower the bar on the giant bomb forums. "
    Welllll... at that point every character is kinda the same, right? Haha, maybe Zangief using lariat only is easy then.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By napalm
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:

" If anyone cares. I got to play the game a bit early.   If you got any simple questions.  "

Can you use color 11 and 12 on alt costumes? Do you have to unlock the ability to play the player 2 character themes, or is it a simple menu option available from the start? If two players each pick random select and then rematch, are new random fighters selected? Is the button config. the smart HD Remix way, or still the stupid SFIV way? Are there all new titles and icons, or is it the same stuff that was in SFIV? Are there any small changes that you really like and that haven't really been talked about yet?  "
    11 and 12 are just shaders and graphic effects.

Player 2 controls the character theme.

I dunno.

Lolwut.

Probably some of the same stuff, but a lot of new ones.

Characters are more even in terms of damage and abilities across the board, so everybody is viable.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Anyone with PS3 willing to be on tonight or tomorrow to help me learn? I am most likely gonna have a fight stick and the game tonight. I got a mic. Would love to learn from someone. Or practice. 

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pessh
    @The_Laughing_Man: Would but we don't get it until Friday =(
    lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By lead_farmer

Thank goodness someone did this thread.  I am getting this game knowing that I am terrible at Street Fighter.  Now I can learn.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Napalm said:Player 2 controls the character theme.  

Player 2 controls the character theme.  

Lolwut. 

I know that, and I even said player 2 themes in my question.  I'm just asking if the ability to use those themes somehow has to be unlocked first.

Button config in SFIV = scrolling through menu options = stupid.
    Button config in HD Remix = pressing buttons to assign button placement = not stupid.

Anyhow, thanks for answering my other questions.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Napalm said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " Yo, what're footsies? "

No Caption Provided
    "
    I'm serious, man. D:
    Term

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Term
    @FluxWaveZ:  In a nutshell, footsies is when you move back and forth at the edge of an opponent's attack range, fishing for them to attack and ultimately whiff so that you can punish them for it.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Stang
    @Term: I think he is kidding. I sure hope he is kidding at this point.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Abyssfull said:
    Joke character? He's omega god tier. The only reason you never see him in tournaments is because he is strictly banned. Never underestimate the power of Saikyo.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Stang said:
    " @Term: I think he is kidding. I sure hope he is kidding at this point. "
    Not at all, dude.  When I used to play vanilla, I never really got into the technicalities of it.  My (limited) proficiency came basically from my own matches and trials.  Now, with SSFIV, I actually want to be good.

@Term: Thanks.
    Term

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Term
    @Stang:  That second post looked like a genuine concern to me, for whatever reason. It's not like that took me more than 2 seconds to write up at any rate.
    tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By tallTuck94

i'm really thinking of buying this game but as a beginner will i stand a chance as i don't really want to invest in a fightpad for a game i might not even play much

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.