Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 25, 2008

This downloadable seventh iteration of Street Fighter II brings further rebalancing, remixed music, training mode, enhanced online multiplayer, and brand new hand-drawn high-definition graphics.

The best Street Fighter character for a Newbie

daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By daz0608

I recently got Street Fighter 2 THDR, but I've never really played a lot of fighting games or any Street fighters, the only person I've completed the arcade mode with is Ryu, but i'm finding the game in general tough 

So what is the best character for a beginner?
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BoG

Ryu or Ken. 

Ryu and Ken are the basis of all combat.
    That was an awful reference. If anyone can guess it they get two cookies.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By OmegaPirate

Possibly a referance to shinden koto ryu and shako ken? 

Closest i can think of :P lol
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PureRok
    Daz0608 said:
    "I recently got Street Fighter 2 THDR, but I've never really played a lot of fighting games or any Street fighters, the only person I've completed the arcade mode with is Ryu, but i'm finding the game in general tough 
    So what is the best character for a beginner?
    "
    Arcade mode is tough. Just practice with a character you are comfortable with.
    zingz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By zingz
    E. Honda takes little effort to use in HD Remix since his headbutts can negate/go through projectiles and his hundred hand slap does a lot of chip damage if your opponents block it.

But I recommend trying out all the characters. One of them is bound to feel right for you. Some people prefer charge characters like Guile or Dee Jay. Some people prefer grapplers like Zangief or T. Hawk. If you like fast moving characters, you can try Chun-li, Cammy, and Fei Long.
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BoG

it's not a Street Fighter reference...

But yeah, as Pure said, Arcade mode is tough, SSFII in general is tough. I've always thought it was the hardest fighting game. I can hold my on in SFIII, but in II, I always lose.
    Bombstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Bombstrom

I've been practising with Ryu and doing reasonably well after 2 weeks of intensive training, so I think that would be a good place to start.
    But yeah, try all characters and decide which feels most comfortable.

Also, didn't Gray Fox in Metal Gear Solid say that hand-to-hand is the basis of all combat?

10MP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 10MP

just spam kicks with chun li and you will win probly %50 or more games.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BoG
    Bombstrom said:
    "I've been practising with Ryu and doing reasonably well after 2 weeks of intensive training, so I think that would be a good place to start.
    But yeah, try all characters and decide which feels most comfortable.

Also, didn't Gray Fox in Metal Gear Solid say that hand-to-hand is the basis of all combat?"
    Yes, that was the reference I thought of. It's bad, but you got it, so it isn't TOO bad.
    Avatar image for theuncannygiraffe
    theuncannygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chun-li is a good starter character, I always find. She's fast and her combos are easily accessed and have quite quick execution. She's not the best once you get higher up though.... still, by then you'll know what's what.

Plus, it's always somewhat satsifying to kick the crap out of one of E. Honda or Blanka with a wee girl. :)

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#11  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Each character has a lot of complexity and depth.  I'd try nabbing a FAQ move list and then trying out each character in single-player.  Once you've tried it with everyone and have a feel for the difference between the speeds and variations on their projectiles. practice online or with a friend.  It'll take a lot of patience to get even halfway decent.  I've been playing SFII off and on for nearly a decade and a half, and I still have way more losses than wins.

Once you get down the basics, though, start paying close attention to the spectator mode when you're waiting to play online.  You'll get a great sense of what combos work well, what kinds of moves you can string together, and the timing of when or how to throw projectiles.  Good luck!

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12  Edited By JamesF

Ryu or Ken probably.

rivalbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rivalbro

Ken, long range, close range, projectiles, fast, anti-air, ALL TOGETHER!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.