Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 13, 2014

Collectively known as "Super Smash Bros. 4", the fourth installment of Nintendo's fighting game series was released for both the Wii U console and the handheld Nintendo 3DS.

Confirmed: Shulk will be in Super Smash Bros

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Yep, Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles has just been confirmed to be playable in Smash. And if you look at his still character model from the website, he looks pretty similar to his portrait to that on the leak released a few days ago, so yep, the leak is real. But anyway, he looks fun to play as. Also, I was not expecting Shulk to sound so British.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

SHUUUUUUUUUUULK!!!!

Jeff is gonna be happy.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I am very excited for this. He looks like a fun/complex character to play (stance changes!), and I am very happy that he has a swimsuit outfit. Gotta love that gender equality in skimpy outfits (being serious, this is not a joke about Zero Suit Samus).

Also, the English version of Xenoblade was localized and voiced in the UK, so that's why he sounds British. They're just sticking with existing British-ness.

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Oh wow - what was that at the end? Is Metal Face somehow going to make a cameo? That would be a hell of an assist trophy...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Corevi

They also announced a 3DS port of Xenoblade Chronicles but only for the New 3DS with a better CPU.

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bigdaddy81

Warms my heart to see Shulk beating the shit out of Marth.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MocBucket62

@immortal_guy said:

Oh wow - what was that at the end? Is Metal Face somehow going to make a cameo? That would be a hell of an assist trophy...

The game confirmed that there are boss fights on certain stages, such as the Yellow Devil in Dr. Wily's Castle. I assume Metal Face is going to be a stage boss as well.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel

This is a great way to start off the day!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I love Xenoblade Chronicles. It's easily my favorite JRPG out of the past generation. Which isn't really saying much considering the declining quality of the JRPG, but I digress. I just came in here to say that - love of the game aside - "Shulk" is an awkward and terrible name.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lul please.... no Reyn.... I can't take it.... if he is brought in we know what will happen... Reyn time...

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Shulk is probably my least favorite character from Xenoblade Chronicles, but I'll take it because it means we get a rad stage (or two) out of it. Also Metal Face cameo is pretty sweet.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

Shulk is probably my least favorite character from Xenoblade Chronicles, but I'll take it because it means we get a rad stage (or two) out of it. Also Metal Face cameo is pretty sweet.

Let's not forget the most important character:

Hey, Riki, you're so fine! You're so fine, you blow my mind!

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@hailinel said:

@make_me_mad said:

Let's not forget the most important character:

Come to think of it, Shulk's final smash only seems to include about half the team... Reyn, Sniper-lady-whose-name-starts-with-S-that-I-can't-remember, Dagger-girl and Melia weren't there (unless I just missed them which is entirely possible because I'm a moron). I wonder what the odds of getting a second Xenoblade character are. I'm pulling for Melia, personally.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I should play more Xenoblade Chronicles.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Come to think of it, Shulk's final smash only seems to include about half the team... Reyn, Sniper-lady-whose-name-starts-with-S-that-I-can't-remember, Dagger-girl and Melia weren't there (unless I just missed them which is entirely possible because I'm a moron). I wonder what the odds of getting a second Xenoblade character are. I'm pulling for Melia, personally.

That leak was real and there was no other Xenoblade Chronicles characters so unless the DLC part of that leak was incorrect then that's not happening.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Steadying
    No Caption Provided

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Brendan

@hailinel: God I hated that guy SO MUCH. Cool that Shulk's in the game though, since now we can practically have a sword wielder's only battle.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#18  Edited By StarvingGamer

No but seriously, does this mean Duck Hunt Dog is real...?

The only Shulk I care about
    The only Shulk I care about
    Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Corevi

SHOOTING STAR PRESS FROM THE TOP ROPE!

This is the greatest night in the history of esports entertainment.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is not She Hulk. Who the hell is this pretender to the Shulk throne.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YES!

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Superkenon

Pretty cool. More Xenoblade in anything is a good thing.

Here's a little bit of info from Sakurai:

No Caption Provided

Pic of the day. From Xenoblade Chronicles, Shulk joins the battle!! He's not the type of character that would usually appear in the Smash Bros. series, but we worked really hard to make it happen. We're very happy with how he turned out. This stage is Gaur Plain.

No Caption Provided

Shulk's sword, the Monado, slashes enemies with a beam when activated, so it can strike from long range. What really makes this weapon unique is that when the Monado Arts are activated, it can change Shulk's features and abilities! Emerge victorious in battle by changing your abilities strategically!!

No Caption Provided

[List of Monado Arts]
    翔 (Jump): higher jumps, lower defense.
    疾 (Speed): faster movement, weaker attacks.
    盾(Shield): higher defense, slower movement.
    斬(Buster): stronger attacks, weaker launch ability.
    撃(Smash): Stronger launch ability, weaker attacks, lower defense against launching.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By veektarius

. Also, I was not expecting Shulk to sound so British.

Why does that surprise you? There were a ton of Australian (I think) VOs in Xenoblade, including him.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Superkenon

@make_me_mad said:

That leak was real and there was no other Xenoblade Chronicles characters so unless the DLC part of that leak was incorrect then that's not happening.

While I'd be surprised to see a second Xenoblade character, it was supposedly said by one of the leakers (or the same leaker) that the DLC info was actually false. And that even what they showed wasn't the final roster.

But who knows. That leak may be showing the entirety, but there's room for more unknowns yet.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Dixavd

While Shulk isn't anywhere near my favourite character from Xenoblade - he certainly has the coolest move-sets so I'm stoked that he's in this!

Edit - Also, don't get your hopes up about Melia making an appearance guys - Jenna-Louise Coleman is incredibly busy at the moment and almost certainly wouldn't re-record any VO. They could just be re-using dialogue from the original game; but it sounded like they were asking the original voice actors to come back into the studio for a bit (unless that quote from one of the voice actors a couple months back wasn't true).

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By DeadpanCakes

I really didn't like Shulk, and honestly, when I first heard that "Shulk" got leaked as a character in smash, my initial response was "who the fuck is Shulk?"

Though, the Xenoblade-themed stage is super pretty, and, for as much as he's supposed to be the one everyone hates, I loved Riki.

Also that picture of Shulk and Luigi in the ring is amazing

Rolkien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes me want to play Xenoblade Chronicles, but if it's localized for the 3DS when the new update models come out I'll definitely play those games.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

He's not really, strictly a Nintendo character, is he? Or as iconic as Sonic or Mega Man. Maybe this opens the door for more "associated with Nintendo" characters. Bayonetta or Professor Layton or Phoenix Wright or PHOENIX WRIGHT DO IT.

I know it's all been leaked, but let's go crazy with DLC, guys. I would buy so much DLC.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Corevi
    @spunkyhepanda said:

He's not really a Nintendo character, is he? Or as iconic as Sonic or Mega Man. Maybe this opens the door for more "associated with Nintendo" characters. Bayonetta or Professor Layton or Phoenix Wright or PHOENIX WRIGHT DO IT.

I know it's all been leaked, but let's go crazy with DLC, guys. I would buy so much DLC.

It's to promote the upcoming Xenoblade 3DS Port and Xenoblade Chronicles X. Same thing they did with Roy in Smash Bros Melee which worked so well that it was the sole reason they brought Fire Emblem over here.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's not really, strictly a Nintendo character, is he? Or as iconic as Sonic or Mega Man. Maybe this opens the door for more "associated with Nintendo" characters. Bayonetta or Professor Layton or Phoenix Wright or PHOENIX WRIGHT DO IT.

Shulk is definitely a Nintendo character. Nintendo helped develop the title and owns all distribution rights of the game and all of its characters.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd said:

@spunkyhepanda said:

Shulk is definitely a Nintendo character. Nintendo helped develop the title and owns all distribution rights of the game and all of its characters.

Hm, alright. I stand by my request.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MocBucket62

@veektarius said:

@mocbucket62 said:

Why does that surprise you? There were a ton of Australian (I think) VOs in Xenoblade, including him.

I never played Xenoblade Chronicles, so I was not sure what Shulk's voice sounded like before seeing the trailer.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dixavd

@veektarius said:

@mocbucket62 said:

I never played Xenoblade Chronicles.

Most of the voice Actors are English. Each area of people is differentiated by the dialect of English that they have. Most of them are some form of London dialect. But they got some pretty big names to voice certain character in this game (which, if you are used to UK TV, can get a little jarring sometimes).

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Probably the best trailer of the bunch so far.

"Backslash!"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.