Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 18, 2022

A spin-off entry in the Final Fantasy series, from Team Ninja and Square Enix.

Stranger of Paradise looks insane

• 62 results
    Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If the story is Just Bad instead of Fun Bad then I still probably don't mind. I do like the story of Nioh 2 but it did not make the list of things I played that game for.

I'll still pick this up probably but the timing on it is pretty bad right now.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've just started actually playing this and I know that a lot of people say this as a hyperbolic way to dunk on something but I mean this with kind of a great deal of fondess..

This is the most fucking Playstation 2 video game I've ever seen, including half of the things that were actually on the PS2. Cavia made this game and it merely lay dormant in a chained up vault for years until being unearthed to turn into this.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I'm almost near the end and I gotta say, I fucking love this game. It feels SO GOOD to go around crushing dudes, the characters and story are weirdly charming and I think by the end actually really work.

While it doesn't go AS big, I think there's a sort of Asura's Wrath-ness to it that works in a lot of the same ways. Like, it's an Action RPG that exists in the similar space to AW, Doom 2016, and Metal Gear Rising: Revengence. It also DOES start getting hard (or in just bad/stubborn) as you go. Took me about and hour to do Tiamat on hard, which is kinda what I wanted.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'm super into this actually. I love my idiot son Jack Fantasy and fully support his quest to kill Chaos.

I hadn't played any of the demos to compare but I will say that as someone who has played perhaps too much Nioh this game feels just a little bit on the easy side even on its hardest (that you can choose anyway) difficulty. The all purpose guard and parry mechanic in one mechanic this game has is really forgiving and punishes pretty much everything enemies throw at you.

But it IS fun just rampaging through a bunch of Final Fantasy theme park levels. I could see the game wearing thin if it were anywhere as long as Nioh but from what I understand this is not the case.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
    AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By AtheistPreacher
    @efesell said:

I could see the game wearing thin if it were anywhere as long as Nioh but from what I understand this is not the case.

You bring up an interesting point about length in comparison to Nioh. Both those games were pretty long to begin with and had two difficulty levels meant to be played consecutively à la Diablo... and then each of the subsequent three DLCs not only added a whole additional region with at least half a dozen levels, but also added a new difficulty setting to play through. I really liked those games, but man... that got exhausting, playing through the same content five times.

(Though at least they did more creative things for the difficulty levels other than just scaling up enemy health and damage, like going to the trouble of switching out enemy types and placement, etc.)

Anyway, now I'm seeing that this game also starts out with two difficulty levels... well, more than that, but I mean in the sense that you need to unlock "Chaos" difficulty by clearing the game on any of the other difficulty levels first (of course it would be called "Chaos" *obligatory eye roll*). So I'm more or less expecting that each of the DLCs will follow that Nioh pattern of adding some new stages along with a new difficulty setting on top, and very possibly a whole new tier of loot rarity at some point.

Which is all to say: if they do plan on making you play through the same content five consecutive times, it's probably for the best that it's shorter than the Nioh games.

But the real question is: now that they've already called the highest difficulty "Chaos," they've sort of backed themselves into a corner, haven't they? What the hell are they going to call difficulties 3, 4, and 5? "Chaos-ier," "Chaos-iest," and "Chaos-ception"? Or maybe "True Chaos," "Kill Chaos," and "Chaos My Way/I Am Chaos"?

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell said:

This is the most fucking Playstation 2 video game I've ever seen.

With the limited amount of time I have right now to play games, I have been debating between this and Elden Ring, and this description is what has tipped over to the FF edge (of chaos). I need something very PS2 right now for all of this... Chaos happening.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After playing the demo some more I'm back on the train. I'll be buying this as soon as it gets discounted. Can't justify full price when I'm still playing Elden Ring.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is ruining Tonberries for me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@efesell said:

This is the most fucking Playstation 2 video game I've ever seen.

With the limited amount of time I have right now to play games, I have been debating between this and Elden Ring, and this description is what has tipped over to the FF edge (of chaos). I need something very PS2 right now for all of this... Chaos happening.

You could always get... Chaos Legion.. a genuine PS2 hack and slash game about Chaos.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard mode rapidly loses its appeal when suddenly every encounter in the game is against like a dozen things at once. I can already pretty definitively state that this isn't gonna have the kind of legs Nioh does for me, already zero interest in even trying what Chaos has to offer if its just going to be that any one of these dozen randos can shatter my guard with a glancing blow.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@efesell: Best tip I can give is to get Blood Weapon from the Marauder job. It's probably the single best ability in the game for fighting crowds, lets you stay offensive and just tank through hits with some stagger resistance moves like Berserk.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have avoided this game for a while partly due to the rough performance on PS5 but there has been a couple patches now. Could anyone here tell me if the PS5 version runs at least close to 60 after the latest patch?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.