Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Stellaris

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released May 09, 2016

A sci-fi grand strategy game set in a procedurally generated universe from the creators of Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis.

How likely is a blind ironman run to end in a total disaster?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Hayt

This probably says a lot about the psychology of achievements but since I heard that Stellaris only awards achievements on ironman I've been thinking about playing that mode for my first run. Normally in these games I never play ironman to ward myself from fuckups due to not understanding the game fully and bugs. However tying all achievements to this mode sends a clear message: if its not in this mode it doesn't count.

I like my first runs of these games to have a proper narrative which Stellaris more than most is perfect for. Wrinkle is if a single locked save that narrative can easily become "and then they overspent on fleet upkeep and never fully recovered the end". While I totally get the appeal of even that being the arc of your faction I feel like the first run is special and having it go out like that is a bit of a bummer.

I'm pretty decent at games like these but that said that has always been with the ability to reload a save. Is Stellaris the kind of game where things can go unrecoverably bad if you don't know the system?

Typing this out makes me realise I don't think I'd have as much fun in an ironman run even with the shame of the devs hanging over normal mode.

When you did your first game of Stellaris did you do ironman and without spoilers (I am trying to go in blind either way) how did it go? What are the odds of a freshfaced run ending in a win condition?

As a second point what do you think of my assessment of how crazy achievements have made me. Would any of you ever consider playing a different way than what you'd normally do because of it? I'm nuts for not just playing on normal aren't I?

Edit: If I want people to give me a proper assessment I'd better lay out my start:

Pacifist/materialist/xenophiles (goal: become The federation basically. Aiming for the dominant victory condition rather than exterminate). Warp drive ftl. 1000 stars. 4 arm spiral (I know this can make expanding tougher but I want to "simulate" the milky way) Max civilizations (although not sure if I should put this on max or leave at the default). Everything else normal (Ai aggressiveness/difficulty at normal)

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Tribunal

My first run was on normal but I was able to fully grasp the systems after about an hour. If I was able to experience this game again for the first time I would definitely go for an ironman run, just be sure to maintain your navy or make friends with your neighbors. For your FTL speed type I would recommend the wormhole. Your faction typically can't be wiped out in a single war so if your first one doesn't go your way you will have ample time to learn from mistakes and recover.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hayt

@the_tribunal: Hmm that's encouraging. My faction is pacifist though so I'd be avoiding wars as much as possible anyway. Did you ever need to load a save to avoid disaster or change an outcome? Be honest haha.

Edit: actually if I want people to give me a proper assessment I'd better lay out my start:

Pacifist/materialist/xenophiles (goal: become The federation basically. Aiming for the dominant victory condition rather than exterminate). Warp drive ftl. 1000 stars. 4 arm spiral (I know this can make expanding tougher but I want to "simulate" the milky way) Max civilizations (although not sure if I should put this on max or leave at the default). Everything else normal (Ai aggressiveness/difficulty at normal)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

There are some things that happen later in the game that have the potential to quickly change the entire landscape of the universe or even end your campaign depending on the status of your empire at the time and RNG. This has a lot to do with how bad the AI is. I got to a point where I had to restart because I had taken my empire in a certain direction that wasn't appropriate for directly dealing with the event. Plus the other AI empires were so dumb, that didn't really help things either. It was pretty frustrating, in my next game I ended up using a mod that disabled that event entirely.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hayt

@mike: Bummer. That's exactly why I like to have a older saves. I suppose in a sense its save-scumming but I feel like sometimes its just evening the odds. Have you done your subsequent playthroughs on normal or ironman and how did they go?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't already know how combat works in these games you're most likely gonna fuck up to the point where you're screwed, but playing on normal might help with that. I haven't really played on anything other than insane since 1.1 dropped so I can't say for sure how it is on lower levels, but it made the AI much less of a floppy fish waiting to get stomped on.

I could give you some tips as far as your starting setup, but you said you wanted to go in blind, so... All I'll say is that there are many factors other than your starting choices that will significantly affect how your game will play out.

Also, as a side note, I've been playing a fair amount of ironman lately for the achievements, but I found that the constant auto-saving made the game slow down way too much for my taste.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hayt

@ares42: Haha thanks. Yeah I know how silly it is to basically ask for advice but want zero detail. I'm leaning towards normal for my first run. I can forsee myself playing this game more than once easilyyyyyy.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike Supposedly the AI has been improved in the latest patch.

I haven't started the game yet but i'm sure my first campaign will end horribly like they all do!

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hayt: Have you played Paradox games before? Stellaris has this issue less than previous games but it still has a bunch of ways that completely turn game around without you necessarily making a mistake. As long as you are ok with losing or (more likely) feeling like you lost while the game is still technically active then go for it but I'd say you have pretty small chance of getting a win in your very first campaign.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twigger89: played a bunch of Ck2 but never got what you'd call a win in that game. More played it to tell stories if that makes sense? My goals in empire building games like Stellaris are different enough that I think normal is for me. Out the gate anyway.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hayt:I assumed you meant the actual victory conditions for Stellaris, if that is the case than I think you will be disappointed. If you are asking whether you will enjoy playing ironman blind secure in the knowledge that you will most likely lose than yeah it'll still be fun.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Tribunal

@hayt: The event he is referring to is unavoidable unless you have a mod. It is the end game.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Extremely. Do it, and hey, have fun.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: Tell you what, I'll leave some tips behind a spoiler here, so you can read it when you've played some games or whenever you want.

Firstly, your race traits and ethics really doesn't matter that much, especially in the early game. They're tied to your population units (which means bonuses only apply to tiles they are working) and they will change over time as you expand your empire as well. What really matters is your government. Not only is the bonus empire wide, but it determines how you are offered new leaders (again empire wide bonus) and how long they rule. And they can have some really amazing traits, so being able to have the same leader for a long time can be a huge benefit.

Secondly I'd suggest sticking to hyperlane FTL. While it might seem awkward having to travel from system to system, the fact that it can FTL in and out of systems without leaving the gravity well is a giant advantage that's easy to miss. The other FTLs might be able to avoid your fleet by jumping large distances, but it's nearly impossible to catch a hyperlane fleet in-system (if you don't have it yourself), and once you close the distance it's much easier to trap opposing fleets.

Lastly, federations are sorta crap atm. It's basically like having an alliance where one member is chosen to be the leader and the others are vassals. So you spend most of the time as a "vassal" being dragged into wars that only benefit the leader without any say, and when you do end up getting leadership you're often in a situation where everyone else is already busy fighting all the other wars they started so starting a war that benefits you isn't really gonna work out. Also, starting a game with the pre-determined goal that you will make a big alliance isn't necessarily gonna work out, since it depends highly on what neighbors you get etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.