Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Lets Talk Strategy: Terran

• 62 results
    The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Drizzle

Hopefully this can be a central hub for all things Terran. Recently i had 12 or so roaches get into my base and i wasn't sure how, i don't think they wormholed, but they did pop up from a burrow, is there anyway to prevent this? Would a sensor array help? Also are bunkers the only form of ground defensive structures terran have?

BreakfastKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BreakfastKing

It certainly helps to have some form of detector, and you'll want the Orbital station for other reasons too. Using it for MULEs early in the game gives you a significant econ boost.  

Regarding defenses, Bunkers are the only structure that's sole purpose is pew pewing at ground units.  That being said, however, Command Centers are capable of turning into a powerful turret if need be and a siege mode siege tank is your best friend while defending.  Splash damage + mobility in a pinch = a sound plan.

Your roach problem can probably best be solved with good scouting.  If you see the enemy making roaches at their base before they're burrowed, you know what to prepare for and generally have enough time to do it.

Just make sure you don't make the mistake of getting too defensive as Terran.  Obviously, they're the best turtles in the game, but without a good offense, they WILL break you eventually.  The trick is balancing defense with mobbing with teammates, or pestering enemy workers in the backdoor with some cloaked units or marines/medvacs.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I've found that it's almost always essential to wall myself in and be defensive initially while playing as the Terran (unless I'm playing against another Terran player) to avoid any potential Zerg/Protoss rush. Eventually you'll probably want to setup some siege tanks to beef up your defense.

As far as offense, I'll generally build two barracks early (one with a reactor and the other with a tech lab) and start pumping out marines and marauders. Then, I'll start working toward cloaked reapers and/or medivacs and stimpack. Cloaked repears work well to harass anyone early on, but I've found that they can be devastating against Zerg. Dropping a couple of medivacs filled with stimpacked marines and marauders serves about the same purpose. While I'm doing that, I begin building more medivacs, marines, and marauders along with some heavy weapons like Thors and siege tanks. I also like to build at least one or two ravens just to cover my ass against cloaked enemies (the orbital station's scanning ability works well in a pinch if you notice you're getting attacked by something invisible, but I prefer to use that energy on MULEs).

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @The_Drizzle said:
    " Hopefully this can be a central hub for all things Terran. Recently i had 12 or so roaches get into my base and i wasn't sure how, i don't think they wormholed, but they did pop up from a burrow, is there anyway to prevent this? Would a sensor array help? Also are bunkers the only form of ground defensive structures terran have? "
    Roaches have an upgrade that allows them to move while burrowed.  However, if you've blocked off your ramp then they won't be able to enter your base, burrowed or not.
    BreakfastKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BreakfastKing

I figured I'd go a little more indepth with my misadventures with Terran in a blog post.  

And @StarvingGamer, I literally had no idea they did that. But, I've also not ever played Zerg so that's great to know!

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By ThePickle

Detector is key early in the game. It's a lot safer than sending an SCV over to the other dudes base and gives you a better look and what he's doing. That's basically all the Terran strategy I have developed so far, other than make a bunch of dudes.

Zuul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Zuul

@StarvingGamer
    said:
    " @The_Drizzle said:
    " Hopefully this can be a central hub for all things Terran. Recently i had 12 or so roaches get into my base and i wasn't sure how, i don't think they wormholed, but they did pop up from a burrow, is there anyway to prevent this? Would a sensor array help? Also are bunkers the only form of ground defensive structures terran have? " 
    Roaches have an upgrade that allows them to move while burrowed.  However, if you've blocked off your ramp then they won't be able to enter your base, burrowed or not.

they might have been doom-dropped from an overlord. If you are really confused with how they did this, you can always just watch the replay.  

@BreakfastKing said: 

"Your roach problem can probably best be solved with good scouting.  marines/medvacs. " 

Almost all of your problems can be solved by good scouting.
    slilley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By slilley

everyone should check out Husky on youtube.  He has some fantastic strats for Terran

Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Tasus
    @The_Drizzle said:
    "Recently i had 12 or so roaches get into my base and i wasn't sure how, i don't think they wormholed, but they did pop up from a burrow, is there anyway to prevent this? Would a sensor array help? Also are bunkers the only form of ground defensive structures terran have? "
    There's a upgrade that enables roaches to move while burrowed. Either wall up your entrance or get some detectors, scanning with your orbital command also works.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Luke

It's all about the rippin' and the Terran.  The rippin' and the Terran!   

Against Zerg, always wall-in 100% and maybe do a Reaper rush against their Drones.  Also, be on the look-out for the Baneling Bust!  
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StarvingGamer

Speaking more to general strategy, I tend to go for a fast factory walloff vs Zerg into Hellions to A) Harass B) Scout

If it looks like the enemy is going Roach/Ling, Hydra/Ling, Hydra/Roach then I'll typically go for an MMM ball with Tanks.  If it looks like Muta/Ling then I'll go for Hellion/Thor instead.

misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By misterpope

Always get Orbital Command. ALWAYS. No matter what. If you are in the situation that you actually need the PF turret in your base, then you're dead already (huge genralization there, but whatever its true) 

The econ boost from MULE's is just too good to pass up. No matter what.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Osaladin

This is why I always harass as much as I can when going against a Zerg player. Make some Helions or Reapers early and go kill some drones. And if you see that he threw down an early roach warren, than you can build marauders and or banshees to counter. I really like going banshees a lot against zerg, research the cloak and you cause massive damage and a lot of times, end the game early by crippling his economy/sniping queens.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By KaosAngel

...I think my game is glitched.  I did that Marine Rush Build achievement twice and didn't get it.  I used a stopwatch the second time too...you guys unlock that achievement? 

Trying to figure out what's going wrong.  I got the Zerg and Protoss one like cake.

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rehehelly
    @HandsomeDevil said:
    " Detector is key early in the game. It's a lot safer than sending an SCV over to the other dudes base and gives you a better look and what he's doing. That's basically all the Terran strategy I have developed so far, other than make a bunch of dudes. "
    What?

You send an SCV over to the opponents base as you get a better look at what they're doing early game, they shouldn't have any units except workers at that point, plus you wouldn't even have any form of detection that early in the game...

also @OP: 
    Roaches can move while burrowed if it's been researched, block off your choke and they can't get in. Missile turrets also work as detectors (which is good to have near chokes if they have cloaking units) and make sure you upgrade your CC to a orbital command and save some of the energy (never have full energy, use it for mules or something) for a scan. 
    also, Ravens are detectors aswell.

...and bunkers aren't all that useful, unless you have free minerals in which case you can always salvage them later on.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Rehehelly said:
    " @HandsomeDevil said:
    " Detector is key early in the game. It's a lot safer than sending an SCV over to the other dudes base and gives you a better look and what he's doing. That's basically all the Terran strategy I have developed so far, other than make a bunch of dudes. "
    What?  You send an SCV over to the opponents base as you get a better look at what they're doing early game, they shouldn't have any units except workers at that point
    The downside being that if they don't have any units except workers, you might not be able to get a clear idea of what their strategy is.  A Viking or two can be very effective at OL hunting, expo harassment, and general scouting vs. Zerg early-mid game.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho

Spam tier one, reach gold league.

frostburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By frostburn

I have a hard time playing a very defensive strategy while micromanaging my scout and building a great offensive push at the same time.  Thanks for the link to the Husky video's on Youtube, I played the first StarCraft but only very limited online gameplay time and I've been practicing in skirmishes against the CPU.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Addfwyn
    You'll want to be careful about spending too much energy of your orbital command on scans early.  Scanning is valuable, but every scan you make is costing you around ~200 minerals in what a MULE would bring it.  Against Zerg, Marauders absolutely destroy roaches, so if you see the roach warren, build them.  Marauders are very hard for Zerg to effectively counter early on with marine backup.  That said, Zerg is the 'reactive race'.  They can change their strategy very quickly, so it's all about scouting and keeping them from scouting you.  If they see you are going mech, they are going to get lots of roaches.  If they see you going MMM, they'll probably get hydras and infestors.  If you can keep them from scouting you and make it look like you are going MMM when you are actually going mech or air, you'll be in good shape.  

(I hate this bold text bug) 

@KaosAngel:
     Gametime is different from real time, so you actually have less than the listed time to complete it.   

I found the best way to do it is to not bother with a reactor (takes too long to build and you have to get gas) and just get two barracks up and pumping marines.  You'll want a barracks earlier than usual, maybe even before your first supply depot (and make less scvs).  Most of the economy achievements, ironically, totally gimp your economy trying to get them.  I'd stick to doing it in an AI game.  
    wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By wunder_

Terran Mech, FTW!

king0fprussia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By king0fprussia

I've found that a mix of hellions and marauders can be pretty devastating against a Tier One/early 2 Zerg force, even some Terran forces if you get them early before they start viking spamming. 

Any thoughts on how to go after Protoss?  I often feel completely vulnerable to them, while simultaneously unable to crack their d.

Designer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Designer0

i generally proxy rush terrans and protos with reapers, against zerg i i wall in and tech to Helions and later Banshee if my opponent lacks AA. Works pretty well, at least until you get to dimond level, then you have to start getting a bit more advanced.

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fang273
    @king0fprussia said:
    " I've found that a mix of hellions and marauders can be pretty devastating against a Tier One/early 2 Zerg force, even some Terran forces if you get them early before they start viking spamming.  Any thoughts on how to go after Protoss?  I often feel completely vulnerable to them, while simultaneously unable to crack their d. "
    1/1/1 with an early raven into Tank/Hellion/Raven/Ghost. EMP the shields, a couple PDD and the protoss army will melt.
    Horry43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Horry43

About 20% of all Terran players seem to turtle in with siege tanks in silver league from my experience. You are bombarded when going in but as Protoss you just out macro them and lead with Immortals.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Wunder_ said:
    " Terran Mech, FTW! "
    Yeah, might as well make the most of my CE Thor unit model :D
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#26  Edited By sjschmidt93

Turrets and ravens would've let you see the roaches, thus making it less of a problem.

Zuul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zuul

I like play as terran, but I have a hard time with going mech... The MMM ball is just too easy to use, and it usually results well. 

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Drizzle

At what point do you stop producing scv's? I usually have 3 going in and out of my refineries and i would say 12 or 14 harvesting, also other than MMM what other units are a good combo together? I've found success a couple of times with hellions/thors/tanks but want to try different combination's

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Fallen189

Marines/Marauders/Medvacs.

Learn it. Love it.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TomA
    @Wunder_ said:
    " Terran Mech, FTW! "
    No. Marines, Marauder, Medivac build. It's incredibly powerful.
    MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MikeHawk

anybody try to nuke the opponent? MMM wasn't working overly well for me, so I think I'm going to try it out a bit. I found an article on liquipedia, but any suggestions would be nice

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32  Edited By Levio

Terran Tips:
    Don't show fear or they will eat you alive.
    Protoss will make hallucinations.  Use a detector even if they have no DT.
    Don't give up!  Fly you barracks away and they may DC before finding it.
    It's fun to block their vision with that factory you never use.
    If you see a swarm of banelings: RUN.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Fallen189: Kinda surprised you know MMM.  :P
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @Levio said:
    ...uhm...

@Levio said:
    It's fun to block their vision with that factory you never use.
    ...what?
    Avatar image for deactivated-64540c94d2d0f
    deactivated-64540c94d2d0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@king0fprussia said:
    " I've found that a mix of hellions and marauders can be pretty devastating against a Tier One/early 2 Zerg force, even some Terran forces if you get them early before they start viking spamming.  Any thoughts on how to go after Protoss?  I often feel completely vulnerable to them, while simultaneously unable to crack their d. "
    dunno if this has been said because I haven't read the whole thread, but quick ghosts.  You only need two.  But marines, marauders, medevacs and two ghosts to EMP.  You're fucked if you take too long and let him get colossi though.  Then again, if you scouted, you knew he was doing that and can adjust accordingly.  Check the day9 daily archives for Brat_OK's TvP matchups.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @The_Drizzle said:

" At what point do you stop producing scv's? I usually have 3 going in and out of my refineries and i would say 12 or 14 harvesting, also other than MMM what other units are a good combo together? I've found success a couple of times with hellions/thors/tanks but want to try different combination's "

Generally you want 3 SCVs per gas and 3 per mineral patch, so something like 27.  Even then though, it's always a good to keep building SCVs because this will allow you to transfer some over to your expansion when you get it up and running.

Unit composition depends on the enemy.

VS. Terran Tanks are always a good idea because if they tank and you don't you're going to be in trouble.  A handful backing up your MMM ball can make or break a game.

VS. Toss always get Ghosts, EMP is too useful at neutralizing Temps that might otherwise rape your MMM ball and taking out shields.  If the Toss player is going Robo I'd try to get 3 or 4 Vikings minimum as they will be needed to snipe out Colossi.  Otherwise Thors can also be used to neutralize Immortals and Colossi with their cannons.

VS. Zerg Hellions / Tanks ruin Hydra / Ling and Hellions / Thors destroys Muta / Ling.  Also Ravens with their missiles are great for taking out groups of tightly bunched, smaller Zerg units.  Plus as most Zerg players are much more focused on macro rather than micro, there's a much higher chance of those missiles hitting home.
    The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_Drizzle

What does the ghosts emp do? excuse my ignorance I'm not well versed on terran just yet, also how would vikings take out colossi? I thought vikings were AA only? or can they be upgraded ?

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Osaladin
    @The_Drizzle said:
    " What does the ghosts emp do? excuse my ignorance I'm not well versed on terran just yet, also how would vikings take out colossi? I thought vikings were AA only? or can they be upgraded ? "
    Colossi count as ground and air units because they are so big, also vikings can transform into a ground unit if they wanted to. 

Ghost's EMP gets rid of shields and energy, hence why they are so effective vs Protoss.
    The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Drizzle

gotcha, also i tend to get fucked by Temps, i just usually scan to pick them up but is there any unit that can detect them? It seems my sensor array does nothing

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By wunder_
    @TomA:  LOL, If you wanna talk in-depth strat, I'll wrestle with you on that one. Mech has much more defensive capabilities and can roflstomp alot of army comps on the move, it's biggest weakness is mobility but compared to the weaknesses to bio, it's a much more safer build. What you have with M&M&M is a mobile force that can easily be shut down by Feedbacks, Storms, Colossi, Fungal Growths, Ultras or Hydras.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Fallen189
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Fallen189: Kinda surprised you know MMM.  :P "
    I watch a lot of Huskys replays. Even though I'm not playing at the moment, I still enjoy his replays. I love watching a good ZVP match.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Fallen189 said:
    " I watch a lot of Huskys replays. Even though I'm not playing at the moment, I still enjoy his replays. I love watching a good ZVP match. "
    Pro Tip - If you want to learn the "why" in online, graduate up to Day9.  It'll help out more in the long run.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sixghost
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " I watch a lot of Huskys replays. Even though I'm not playing at the moment, I still enjoy his replays. I love watching a good ZVP match. "
    Pro Tip - If you want to learn the "why" in online, graduate up to Day9.  It'll help out more in the long run. "
    To be honest, it you really want to get down to the nuts and bolts of SC2 strategy, you just need to start reading the TL strategy section. Day9 is entertaining and everything, but it's rare that he will talk about exactly the thing thing you need at that moment.
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dingofighter
    @Levio said:
    " Terran Tips:

Don't do this, it is just a jackass move and it really isn't the end of the world if you lose 1 game.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KaosAngel
    @MaFoLu said:
    " Don't do this, it is just a jackass move and it really isn't the end of the world if you lose 1 game. "
    I dunno, if you're one game away from being demoted to a lower rank, I'd much rather bm than take the hit on rank.  :\ 

Sorry man, it can take days to get back into a League...and if I was under the choice of lose rank, or luck out of a bm win...I'd take the win.
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dingofighter
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @MaFoLu said:
    " Don't do this, it is just a jackass move and it really isn't the end of the world if you lose 1 game. "
    I dunno, if you're one game away from being demoted to a lower rank, I'd much rather bm than take the hit on rank.  :\  Sorry man, it can take days to get back into a League...and if I was under the choice of lose rank, or luck out of a bm win...I'd take the win. "
    What I meant was more that you shouldn't do it in every game, which the ''tip'' made i sound like. 
    I guess it's a bit more acceptable in a situation like that.
    EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By EightBitShik

So far my biggest problem with being a Terran is expanding.  The only benefit I have found so far is that I can build the cc in my base then float it off to my new area but trying to D that up as well seems like a big hassle for me.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Osaladin
    @The_Drizzle said:
    " gotcha, also i tend to get fucked by Temps, i just usually scan to pick them up but is there any unit that can detect them? It seems my sensor array does nothing "
    DT and everything else that cloaks or is invisible can be detected by either: 

Terran: Missle Turret, Raven, Orbital Command Scan, EMP
    Protoss: Observer, Photon Canon 
    Zerg: Overseer, Spore Crawlers, Fungal Growth
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sixghost

It's a pointless argument because it's not even the slightest bit BM if you are lifting your buildings to force a draw. It's just one of the features of the terran race, and if you are getting into a base race against a terran and you don't make sure to keep a unit that can attack air, you don't deserve to win the game. Why would you not use your race to it's full potential? Throwing is in the game. 

The only exception is if the Terran knows that the protoss has the capability to kill his floating buildings and the Terran is just being an asshole and trying to drag out the game that's a sure loss, though that's a completely different situation. That said, it's pretty fucked up that Blizzard still hasn't implemented a mutual draw feature so people are forced to do stupid shit like this if they want the win. 

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Osaladin
    @sixghost said:
    "

It's a pointless argument because it's not even the slightest bit BM if you are lifting your buildings to force a draw. It's just one of the features of the terran race, and if you are getting into a base race against a terran and you don't make sure to keep a unit that can attack air, you don't deserve to win the game. Why would you not use your race to it's full potential? Throwing is in the game. 

The only exception is if the Terran knows that the protoss has the capability to kill his floating buildings and the Terran is just being an asshole and trying to drag out the game that's a sure loss, though that's a completely different situation. That said, it's pretty fucked up that Blizzard still hasn't implemented a mutual draw feature so people are forced to do stupid shit like this if they want the win. 

"
    In regards to this, I actually like the Bombcast's idea about giving the lift off feature a time limit. Enough to fly around the map, but no more than that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.