Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Battlefront

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 17, 2015

Large-scale infantry Star Wars battles return in this reboot of the Star Wars: Battlefront series (from the studio behind the Battlefield series).

Did the Beta change your opinion of the game?

• 121 results
    skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

Edited By skyline7284

Poll Did the Beta change your opinion of the game? (961 votes)

Yes, It positively impacted my interest 37%
    Yes, It negatively impacted my interest 35%
    No, My opinion remains unchanged 27%

So I ask this question because I found the beta to be... underwhelming (I'm playing on the Xbox One). I don't like the way the guns shoot (I've played a lot of the Battlefield series, and Battlefront 2 as well), they all feel "mushy" to me. The best gun i've found is the standard imperial gun (The E-11), and even it doesn't feel great. I don't like how the powerups work. The Hoth map feels aimless, and lacks any sort of direction. The "Drop Zone" game mode I have yet to find a match in. The survival mode feels well made but generic. I think certain areas of the game look really nice (explosions, lighting) while other areas feel less-so (the terrain in particular I feel lacks detail). Compared to a game like Battlefield 4 I feel like Battlefront is almost a step backwards. Maybe it's just me.

• 
    dewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For me, it went from "definitely buy" to "not touch with a 10 foot pole." Every match I was in was a blow-out either direction. When we did good, I didn't feel like I did much to help (even when I was at the top of the score board) and when we lost it felt impossible to do anything. No close matches is the hallmark of a bad game in my opinion. Also, I don't understand how people effectively use any of the vehicles on Hoth. I got them a lot, and I felt like I was getting killed just about instantly before I could even learn how they work.

christamofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It made me really want a dedicated full on single player game, big story, cool set pieces...etc

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It made me really want a dedicated full on single player game, big story, cool set pieces...etc

This. Really really really this. I only played the single player survival which was pretty lifeless, and Drop Zone. Everyone on my team just wanted to shoot the other guys in the face rather than even pay attention to the pods. I was really stoked about this, but now I'm pretty sure I'm going to wait for reviews. The walker level looks like even more chaos. I understand that it's a beta, but I did not enjoy what was on offer here.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I have yet to play it for myself so my opinion may not count for much of anything, but from what I've seen watching streams and youtube videos, the main issue the kept me from getting into Battlefield seems to be very much present here. People just don't give a fuck. "What? Objectives? Teamwork? Fuck that! I got this sweet ass blaster and I'm gonna go shoot some fuckers!" it seems like the type of game where, unless you just don't care about winning, you're gonna need a dedicated group of friends and/or everyone is going to need to magically be on the same page if you want to get the most out of it.

I suppose you could say that about any competitive team game, but the player count only makes the issue worse because that just means more people with more, different ideas on what they should be doing at any given moment.

I do wanna give it a go just to be fair before I write it off completely, but my hopes aren't exactly high. That said, I think it looks and sounds phenomenal so that has to count for something, right?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@babychoochoo: This is pretty evident on the Hoth level. If the Rebel team isn't all on the same page or at least mostly on the same page you aren't taking down the AT-AT's I have yet to see the Rebel team win at all.

ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Maybe. If I had the chance to play it tonight. Was hoping to get in a few hours after work but the fucking thing took/is taking hours to download to my PS4 even though it keeps saying 30 minutes haha. Anyways couldn't wait any longer so i just left it running, we'll see by morning. From the beta footage I've seen it has been quite underwhelming but maybe that's just because I've seen way to much of the Hoth level. Agreed that the air vehicles don't seem to be that great, and the matches seem to be domination by one team (haven't seen any close ones) and the jedi power ups look almost comical to me. Ahhh! I don't know!! I pre-ordered it because I grew up with the original trilogy and I love most things star wars. Hell, all I needed to hear was that john williams score and I was in, but now I may have to see what the reviews say, or at least hear what the GB team has to say once they do a proper Quick Look of the final version and talk about their thoughts on the Bomb&Beast casts. Might be returning it once the pre-order arrives, but we shall see.

Atlanton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, totally agree! GFX and sound are good and give a good Star Wars atmosphere and it would be awesome to get a good SP/Co-op Story mode. Since MP is the main focus i do not understand that it is so lacking. Unbalanced, spawnkills, no lobby... It is only beta(should we call it demo?) but it is not like much is going to get fixed in a month. I was not planning on buying the game but i did think it was going to be better then what i have seen so far.

So it negatively impacted my decision but i'll wait for release day verdicts before totally giving up on it because maybe a few tweaks can go far! ;-)

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Id say I'm enjoying my time with the beta but I still remain just as concerned with the game then before I played it.

It looks and sounds outstanding. I'm enjoying his it plays too despite guns feeling wack. Otherwise there are some big concerns such as why are there no classes? This is something that is vital to both Battlefield and more so Battlefront. The medic tools in Battlefield 3/4 made that game vastly more ejoyable. Also most of the guns so far feel the same, I'm assuming there will be a lot more guns in the final game and hopefully more variety, same with the perks/cards whichis weird in its own way.

Finally this shit needs a huge tune-up in terms of balancing and shit. The both level is super tough for rebels which either needs balancing or since they are the underdogs in the battle give them some other way to fight back or accumulate points. Also the amount of times I was spawned next to some enemy fucking sucked.

I'm still enjoying my time with this but it kinda feels like a game 8 months in development that's having an early beta rather then a game like 2 years in development that's about to release.

P.s. lack of proper Battlefront single player campaign still confuses me.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I have very much enjoyed my time with the game, even if being a Rebel on Hoth tends to be no fun whatsoever, but I bet that'd balance itself out if people did the objectives. I do quite like the capture and hold mode though.

Looks and sounds perfect. I'm unsure how much of my enjoyment is my brain going "OHMYGODITSLIKEWHATISAWONTVASAKIDBUTLIKEIGETTOPLAYIT!!!"

Atlanton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else spend most of their time being shot in the back?

Or Shooting people in the back ;-) Especially on Hoth i had so many moments where enemies just spawned in front of me and got a few easy kills... All the complaints i heard from people who played the closed beta are still here and that is disapointing...

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but the video Austin and Vinny did made it look good. Look, I don't care about balance or iron sights or whatever. I'm one of those people who look at it and say "holy shit I can be a snow trooper? sign me the fuck up"

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was in the maybe camp if this beta ended up being fun. But playing this game is like watching paint dry, so I'm firmly in the no camp now.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anything, it made me more curious as to how much content is in the final game. I've enjoyed my time in the beta, but playing the Hoth map over and over gets a little tedious. If the other locations and game modes are varied enough, and there's a decent amount of gear to unlock, I'll probably still give it a shot.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of presentation, I really like what they're doing. The game looks gorgeous, all the sounds are pitch perfect, and the look is dead on. But the gameplay doesn't do anything for me. Battlefield never really did. The beta sold me on picking the game up as a rental so I can enjoy it for a couple weeks before putting it down forever.

Kharnivore2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been enjoying it a lot, though i knew i would. Been a fan of Battlefield for quite a while and a lifelong fan of Star Wars, it would have been pretty hard for me to be disappointed.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I wasn't excited for this at all. I loved the first two Battlefront games, but I felt strongly that they were 'games of their time'. That said, I went into the beta kind of hoping I'd find something that would make me change my mind. I will say that the presentation seems slick and intuitive, and the basic shooting is satisfying and fun. The problem I had is that EA either chose the worst levels to showcase their game for this beta, or this new Battlefront is going to be something that feels very "play it for a few days and then get bored".

Again, this is technically a demo version, so I can't say what the final release will look like. On top of that, my hype for it going in wasn't really there, so maybe I'm just not the target for this game.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I've played about 3 hours of the beta now, and yes, it did change my opinion of the game. In a positive way at that.

I thought I was done with BF style games, but I have to say they did a good job of capturing the Star Wars feeling and mixing it with well rounded gameplay.

I especially really like the AT-AT mode. It's fun, it's hectic and the vehicles control pretty well.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks and sounds great, although the UI is very sterile. The shooting is not satisfying. All of the blasters look the same, sound the same and play the same way and they even have the same iron sights. None of the guns feel like they have any personality, punch or impact, which is kind of essential for a shooter. The pick-ups all spawn arbitrarily and play like CoD killstreaks but it doesn't feel like you earned them, which is why killstreaks were satisfying in the first place. Spawning and level balance is fucked up on the Hoth map especially but the Drop Zone mode also suffers from balance issues. Whoever is still alive and closest to the Drop Zone is going to secure it and it will hardly be contested. I spawned inches away from enemies who just mowed me down regularly, so I started holding down the fire button the moment I spawned for insurance. So far, I've never seen a match that's been close and even if my team won I didn't feel like I contributed to it. Hardly anybody focusses on taking the objective on Hoth because there are 3 of them on opposite sides of the map. The times where the team was actually banding together in a large group to focus on an objective was very satisfying, but the weird spawns kill any momentum of an attack.

I probably won't preorder. I'll wait until after launch to see how much new content they have.

johnnyspectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By johnnyspectre

I'm really enjoying it. I can see why some are finding it frustrating in terms of not really being able to influence the outcome of a match (I suspect DICE will be rebalancing Hoth a little to give the Rebels a chance, at least), but I've found that I'm getting a little better every game and now know how to make a contribution, however small.

To be honest, I expected this to be a wreck. I thought the quality of the graphics was going to have been vastly overstated, I figured that the servers would fall apart and that it would be a total glitch fest. So I've been very pleasantly surprised and have gone from being wholly skeptical to seriously considering buying this once I know how well the full game works. I'm a sucker for on point Star Wars stuff, and they've hit that nail right on the head.

Painkiller80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen a lot of people trashing it but. After I have played a few hours of it I think its a lot of fun.There is so much coming out at the same time I don't think I am going to pick it up new. I will buy it if when they cut 15-20 off it a few months later.

Anidem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really enjoyed it, granted I don't play online multiplayer shooters. At first I was doing terrible but then i discovered i could switch to third person and that changes everything because of the increase in the field of view. The games nails the atmosphere of the star wars universe and the sound design is really good too. Although i doubt i will buy it on release day, maybe if reviewers say it is really good i might bite otherwise i will wait for the price to drop. And i totally agree about balancing issues and i hope DICE will use this beta to fix that shit. Overall it's a fun game.

samuelrgreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By samuelrgreen

It has definitely had a positive effect on my perception of the game. I originally thought it would just be a rehashed Battlefield game like Hardline but the changes they have made to the game are very significant.

They completely nail the Star Wars aesthetics and the graphics hold up very well. I didn't think I'd like the feeling of the blasters but the default Stormtrooper one is great and the sniper has a nice ping to it. I also love how quickly you get straight back into the action after dying. This is compared to Battlefield where you have to wait for a timer to count down and then run a mile only to get gunned down again (ugh).

I've still not won as the Rebels on Hoth yet but apparently there is some weapon you can unlock which does major damage to the AT-AT's but it is not in the beta?

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I liked the beta. Only thing that really wasn't working well for me was the party stuff.

Vash108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It changed my mind in a negative way. I was first pretty open to the idea and was willing to give it a fair shake. But then I played it and I do not like the direction it is going in.

Yes the game looks great, but as far as game play goes I do not like the system of where I need to level up my account and unlock everything. I did not like how I start out with literally only one weapon, and have to level up to even get grenades. I really do not like the power ups scattered around the maps to give you access to equipment that could have been handled by a class based system.

It is not for me, and I understand some people like it and that is fine.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By OurSin_360

Hard to say really, i was interested but didn't have to much of an opinion since i never played the older games. I like the game but i don't like the game, it looks and feels great but the balancing is terrible. The way the vehicles work as power ups sucks, they should have went for a battlefield type of implementation which IMO is way easier to understand than seeing barely visible powerups on the map. I don't even know how to get vehicles as the rebel side and i've played quite a few matches.

scottp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined: stop comparing it to battlefield, it's battlefront.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems fun, more battlefrontey than expected.

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is not for me.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nickhead

I was expecting the worst, so I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed the Hoth battle. I don't really care that as Rebels you essentially always lose. I just liked being in that battle, it was chaotic and all the classic Star Wars sound effects were in full force. I died a lot but still had fun.

Still didn't convince me to buy it though. I'm just now sure how much the rest of the content will pan out.

Also, I tried playing with a party of friends. We couldn't get into a single game with a party of 2+. I know its the beta but I got flashbacks of Halo: MCC (we were playing the Xbone version).

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really did, in the opposite direction from what I'm gathering. I hated the old Battlefront games and therefore had no interest in this one, but I've been having a ton of fun with the beta. A complete blast, don't know if I've just been lucky but the spawning and instantly dying hasn't been an issue for me outside of a few random happenings.

I will say on the Walker Assault I've yet to see the Rebels win, that could use some balancing, but otherwise I went from a no thanks to an almost definite purchase.

dewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickhead said:

I was expecting the worst, so I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed the Hoth battle. I don't really care that as Rebels you essentially always lose. I just liked being in that battle, it was chaotic and all the classic Star Wars sound effects were in full force. I died a lot but still had fun.

Still didn't convince me to buy it though. I'm just now sure how much the rest of the content will pan out.

Also, I tried playing with a party of friends. We couldn't get into a single game with a party of 2+. I know its the beta but I got flashbacks of Halo: MCC (we were playing the Xbone version).

On PC, joining with a party was sometimes finicky, but we managed to get 6 people in a match together fairly regularly.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It just seemed kind of...Bland? I don't know. It does look and sound great though. Performance is pretty solid.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It just seemed kind of...Bland? I don't know. It does look and sound great though. Performance is pretty solid.

So when I first saw this game announced I knew that it was gonna be a Battlefield clone with Star Wars reskin. I wasn't really against this, and honestly after the first Battlefront, I was kinda done with Battlefront in general. I wasn't really planning on buying the game at all but then the stress test aka "beta" came up and making it just an easy download with no signing up I figured I'd give it a try. It feels like a lite version of Battlefield. I sort of like the fast paced nature of this game. But I can't help but feel that it is indeed bland. I don't really think there are any interesting mechanics for an online shooter. Everything is basically the same as something like a simple Battlefield but then takes it another level on making it even easier. But I can't really get past everything just being very familiar FPS stuff, but reskinned with Star Wars.

Now granted I've only played the small 16 player map. I'm still gonna play some more and unlock some stuff and play the bigger level with vehicles. But I'm already feeling kinda done with it. I might pick it up one day when it's like $10-$15 bucks but unless reviews say the rest of the full game is REALLY good, I'll probably not bother for a while.

advocatefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it's because I was expecting Battlefield with Star Wars (everyone was saying how Battlefront was just Battlefield with Star Wars) but Battlefront is pretty disappointing. I wish there were classes, more options on the battlefield, weapon variety, verticality, etc. There's just no strategy to the gameplay, no variety. It's just run and gun. Playing Battlefield with friends was great because you can come up with different ways to attack objectives. I can't imagine voice chat would have much impact on the multiplayer in Battlefront because there's nothing to talk about. And thinking about the major set pieces in the Star Wars franchise I don't expect much to change. Battlefront seems pretty bare bones, mindless, and not fun.

Also the balancing and hit detection is f'd but it is a beta.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is absolutely gorgeous. I was amazed. I hope there's enough game there though. The modes in the beta aren't very interesting...at all.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the few hours I spent playing the game and feel better about game now. The star wars theme feels great, and its a battlefield game. I'm not sure if blasters are suppose to suck or cause I only got to level 5 that most of the guns seem inaccurate. Betas are great for testing things out, between QL and betas I'll probably pick this or COD after fallout.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

While it seems super stable on PS4 for me so far, which was my biggest worry, it's still eh. The fact that it's Star Wars is really cool, it looks amazing and sounds pretty good but that gameplay loop is just tired to me. Granted I played a shit ton of 1942 originally so it's dating me there and hence why I'm kind of tired of the format. For me that same gameplay loop is 13 years old now. The Star Wars fandom fantasy is the only hook for me and if there is a demo, I'll probably just download that and play that occasionally to get my fix.

If they want to recycle some old Battlefield stuff in Star Wars they should do it with a Bad Company style Star Wars game.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone that pretty much dislikes BF3 and BF4 (BF2 is the best) and thought that this game would be more of the same Dice shit, I really like what Dice is doing here. The first time I got in a Tie Fighter I was in awe. Every aspect of the presentation besides the UI is amazing. I really like what I have played so far.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was on the fence with this one, but I think after the beta I'm probably going to take the plunge with this one. It probably helps that my buddy and I had a great time with the partner function and working on objectives together. As everyone else has noted they definitely nailed the presentation of the game.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is this expectation that Battlefront was going to be Star Wars skinned Battlefield. DICE was very upfront that they weren't doing that and anyone actively following the game knew that.

My opinion didn't change and I'll still be picking this up on Launch day (well having it delivered technically).

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I really like how fast paced it is, which is a nice surprise. It actually reminds me a bit of Dark Forces/Jedi Knight in feel using keyboard and mouse. Obviously it's taking a lot from Battlefront but I didn't play as much of that series. It is chaotic but I enjoy it for that. I like the card based system with cool downs in that same kind of way.

The presentation is also really outstanding in all areas.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose it nudged me from "I might get this" to "I'm definitely getting this". The presentation is fantastic and I actually quite like the cards/pick-up system, even if I kind of wish they weren't floating icons. I am also quite interested to see what the other match types are. And as much as people complain about Hoth balance, I have had a match that ended with the Empire barely getting there with only one barely alive AT-AT. Sure, they still won, but I think objective based games need some re-schooling and adjustment until people actually engage with the objectives. I am sure there's a ton of people still playing Hoth as though it's Conquest or more likely TDM, which in that specific matchup only plays into Empire's hands. What I saw there was if a team works for it, Rebels can totally take that match. Not saying it might need some balance adjustment, but I don't think it needs a ton of it.

Playing drop zone thing though I noticed an alarming amount of people completely ignoring the pickups. People still fought over the drops, but few people actually picked them up once they were out.

Also, that wave based thing seems like fun co-op, even if at Normal that level is a complete cakewalk and the AI is really stupid.

So yeah, all in all I'm really pleased with what I've seen.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no interest whatsoever other than 'hey maybe a new star wars game might be fun' so I tried it out and really enjoyed what I played a LOT, it's definitely a consideration now depending on if I have money by then.

At first it didn't seem like people knew what they were doing, fro dropzones I think people are used to Battlefield's capturing system because I'd often see people around a drop having not activated it, but after a few matches everything seemed to click into place and all the matches went smoothly.

For the AT defense thing, it was just awesome, the large map with everyone scrambling towards the uplinks, the weapon emplacements, taking to the skies and dogfighting, turning into a hero to go on a rampage, I love everthing about that, but it definitely needs some performance improvements.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've won a couple matches as the Rebels on Hoth. The feeling of accomplishment really makes that fight feel good. To be honest it's kinda boring playing as Empire on that map. Plus it looks cool as hell when your whole team opens up on an AT-AT.

Overall I am liking the game a lot more than I thought I would. At first I was dying constantly and really wasn't having much fun. Once I finally figured out you don't need to stay near capture points to defend them, and generally getting a feel for it, I have been having a much more good time. Definitely interested in seeing more maps.

I also really enjoy the sound design, I mean aside from your usual blaster sounds, stuff like the Thermal Imploders and squad shields just sound so cool.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I originally had zero intentions of playing this game in any capacity but decided to try the beta anyway. The gameplay feels nice and the game looks good, but even after playing it my desire to pay money for it hasn't increased any. I'll play it a bit more but I doubt I'll ever pick it up, and if I do it will be when the price goes down. It did make me want to download my steam version of Battlefront 2 at least.

I also feel this way.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So finally booted it up and maaaaaaaaaaan, it plays like a fucking dream. Not that it looked bad in any of the footage I saw, but something about the way it feels is all sorts of nice. My worry about teamwork or lack thereof seems all but confirmed, but I'd be lying if I said I still didn't have a blast. Still can't see myself picking it up at launch simply because there's other stuff I want to play and whatnot, but as far as I know, Battlefield games typically have some serious legs so unless this somehow turns out to be a burning pile of garbage upon release, I imagine it will enjoy a nice, healthy lifespan as well meaning I can and will pick this up maybe a few months after release.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
    PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of. I went in not expecting much other than fun times shooting dudes with space guns and vehicles in large outdoor environments and occasionally a famous Star Wars guy appears and fucks everything up. I like the card system and the fact that partners can share hands. Partners can have two diverse loadouts and switch between them when necessary. The only problem is that the Hoth level seemed to require the Rebels to work together more than the Imperials. Imperials get all these nice toys to play with while the Rebels get a couple of fighter craft while having to remember "Oh right I need to shoot at the AT-ATs now". As an Imperial all did was shoot dudes on foot, in an AT-ST, or as an AT-AT gunner while stopping Rebels from activating things and eventually we won. I left the beta with a mostly positive experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.