Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars Battlefront II

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 17, 2017

EA's second Star Wars Battlefront features cross-era characters and locations from the original, prequel and sequel Star Wars movie trilogies. It also includes multiplayer character classes and a story-driven single-player campaign.

New Battlefront 2 Full Length Reveal Trailer

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By devise22

As a massive Star Wars fan and someone who was really bummed by the multiplayer only aspect of the last one, as well as the stupid affinity for ignoring the Clone Wars because it's hip to hate on the prequels even though the Clone Wars series makes that timeline completely worthwhile.....

Yeah this looks absolutely awesome. If all that stuff is actually in engine as they say, the focus on a Campaign set just after the Empire falls is absolutely the right move to go. I wouldn't be surprised if it's considered canon either with how well they've handled the license. Like I can't really say much more than this thing looks very very good right now. Very good.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By flasaltine

THEY ARE FUCKING CALLING IT BATTLEFRONT 2 WHEN THAT GAME CAME OUT 12 YEARS AGO!!!

I can understand rebooting the franchise by calling the new one with the old name, but you can't just put a 2 on it.

Never Forget

No Caption Provided

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Definitely a step in the right direction for the franchise as far as I'm concerned.

Colour me impressed by this - more so, even, than the recent Ep. 8 trailer

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Yeah that looks pretty cool. I was incredibly disappointed by the last one -loved the originals- so I have hopes this pushes the beautiful artwork into something more palatable and exciting.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flasaltine: That is fair. I much prefer ditching numbers and going with the Star Wars Battlefront: Something. Especially with how the story looks in this could if easily been a good name in there that just on cool factor alone sells copies.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Yah that looks pretty cool, but what does the actual gameplay look like? Do you still just appear in tie-fighters and such? Are they addressing the issues from the previous game? Playing as the Imperium is cool as heck, but showcasing the single player story component of this game that is mostly known for multiplayer does little for me. It's a real nice trailer that tells you nothing about what you'll be actually playing.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Acura_Max

@devise22: Yeah the developers confirmed that the story will be canon.

I don't play alot of multiplayer games because I don't have playstation plus. But if I did, I would still be waiting until the reviews come out before I even think of buying the game. Gameplay would also help too.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yeah, could be cool. It'd be nice to play a good Star Wars game campaign again.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks nice, but Dice's single player campaigns are bad. Too many annoying interruptions and scripted rollercoaster design. I have no confidence in this.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Gimme some single player 501st stuff (fuck Disney for saying what is and isn't canon anymore) and single player galactic conquest from the original Battlefront II, and I can see myself getting some substantial mileage out of this.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just tell me I can play as a Battle Droid already and I will preorder your game.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

@ezekiel: do you think they go the Battlefield 1 little vignette/snippets for the campaign?

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: do you think they go the Battlefield 1 little vignette/snippets for the campaign?

What does that mean? I didn't play BF1.

I forgot to mention, the stories are bland.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

@ezekiel said:

It looks nice, but Dice's single player campaigns are bad. Too many annoying interruptions and scripted rollercoaster design. I have no confidence in this.

I would generally agree, but I think Bad Company 2 actually had a great campaign.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

@captain_insano said:

Battlefield 1 had multiple shorter stories make up an entire narrative for it's campaign. It was actually a clever gimmick, but it doesn't seem any of the narratives really wowed anyone that I heard. I haven't played it myself either but from what I saw the actual concept seemed interesting.

@captain_insano I doubt they do that for this though. I think the trailer lays that out pretty clearly "an untold soldiers story" or whatever. I would say that the female lead of that squadron is probably the campaign character, given that they show her interacting with Luke and some of the other notable characters that I'm sure will feature in probably solid extended cameos.

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Uppercaseccc

Oh cool more Star Wars media trying to normalizes/present in good light the nazi analogs. Like I imagine the twist will be the commander is going to join the rebellion when she realizes the nazi analogs are indeed nazi analogs but still. I wont play Tie-fighter for the same reason I'm not going to play this game IE I think trying to normalizes you nazi analog is a bad move and really undersells how bad these people are.

benjaminkicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

DICE isn't doing the single player, they are only handling the multiplayer. The campaign is being developed by Motive Studios and Lucasfilm.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@uppercaseccc said:

Oh cool more Star Wars media trying to normalizes/present in good light the nazi analogs. Like I imagine the twist will be the commander is going to join the rebellion when she realizes the nazi analogs are indeed nazi analogs but still. I wont play Tie-fighter for the same reason I'm not going to play this game IE I think trying to normalizes you nazi analog is a bad move and really undersells how bad these people are.

You are taking the Nazi thing way too far with Star Wars. What are you even talking about?

I would love to see what you think about the ton of actual movies about WWII that show Nazis in them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to instantly reply with a snarky "Cool another CG trailer" but then I read that it's in-engine. I mean, I would believe it after seeing Battlefield 1 and the previous Battlefront for that matter. Still would like to see some gameplay..
    Also not a big SW fan and don't care for the prequels but I've always thought Darth Maul is a cool looking sith.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@devise22 said:

@ezekiel said:

@captain_insano said:

Battlefield 1 had multiple shorter stories make up an entire narrative for it's campaign. It was actually a clever gimmick, but it doesn't seem any of the narratives really wowed anyone that I heard. I haven't played it myself either but from what I saw the actual concept seemed interesting.

I think the format is cool, but I played BF 1 and gameplay wise it was pretty forgettable combat, some Far Cry-ish stealth which I get tired of in every game (although this allowed you to shoot through if you want pretty much). But it was gorgeous and I think it works well. You can easily do it with Star Wars. It all looks amazing though.

I think you can do more if they put the energy in. Other Star Wars games like Rogue Squadron and Rebel Assault already have done similar things, giving you all sorts of different parts in famous battles. It will look amazing but hopefully it does more. I really hope they do more with the co-op horde type mode business in this one.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah this is ridiculous, dude.

Anyway, game looks like a huge improvement. Please give us clones and droids though!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I'm trying to not get drawn in to this again, but it looks like they are adding a campaign. If they fix getting in vehicles to be like it used to be in the older Battlefield games (no more spawning directly in them or random power up tokens on the map) then I might actually start getting excited.

If they announce space battles... Well.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the Battlefront 2 panel on youtube a DICE-man announced they're bringing back character classes "including a heavy and sniper," which also sounds like a step in the right direction. Still waiting to see gameplay though.

benjaminkicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

Space battles are confirmed.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks better than the movies. Well...it looks like the reverse side of the coin from those Rogue One trailers at least, haven't seen it yet though.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am ROCK hard.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shame this looks so cool because unless they totally overhaul the multiplayer I'm not paying 60 bucks. Wish I could rent it for the campaign though. Interesting to see it has one of Palpatines ghost droids from Star Wars Shattered Empire.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks pretty rad. I might end up playing this just to fill in the enormous storytelling gaps that The Force Awakens left, insofar as how the Empire became the First Order, and so on.

On the other hand, how can anyone watch the SECOND Death Star explode and say "That's impossible!" Yeah lady, there sure is absolutely NO precedence for this EVER happening before...

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Brackstone

The trailer is fine, but the big news is no season pass and the introduction of character classes. Both of those should solve the biggest issues with Battlefront 1.

I'm wondering how the 3 era split will end up working alongside any sort of progression systems they have in place, and in terms of the amount of content that will be in the game. Ideally, they should carry over as much as possible from Battlefront 1, but if they don't, I have a feeling each era might end up feeling anemic compared to the overall package of the Battlefront Ultimate Edition.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a lifelong Star Wars fan, I bought Battlefront for full price, thinking I'd play the hell out of it. I did not.

I definitely want a single player story, but I think I'll wait for a price drop here.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@bollard said:

Space battles are confirmed.

Wellllllllllllllllllll then!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, what? No shades of gray needed for the Star Wars universe, it's just GOOD versus PURE, FACELESS EVIL? I'm not salivating at the idea of playing a stormtrooper who's mowing down civilians and burning down cities, but I'm pretty sure there's a middle-ground to be found there somewhere and not everyone working for The Empire is evil incarnate...and like @artisanbreads said, you are maaaaybe stretching a little too much with the Nazi comparison here.

I'm personally somewhat interested in the game now, because of the single-player and the perspective they are going with. Not holding my breath because of Dice's past BF campaigns, though. I feel like I'd ask them for a refund, if they went for that twist you mentioned.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots said:
    @uppercaseccc said:

So, what? No shades of gray needed for the Star Wars universe, it's just GOOD versus PURE, FACELESS EVIL? I'm not salivating at the idea of playing a stormtrooper who's mowing down civilians and burning down cities, but I'm pretty sure there's a middle-ground to be found there somewhere and not everyone working for The Empire is evil incarnate...and like @artisanbreads said, you are maaaaybe stretching a little too much with the Nazi comparison here.

I'm personally somewhat interested in the game now, because of the single-player and the perspective they are going with. Not holding my breath because of Dice's past BF campaigns, though. I feel like I'd ask them for a refund, if they went for that twist you mentioned.

Yep not everyone in the Empire is inherently an evil prick. Go read Claudia Gray's Lost Stars and you'll get a lot of insight into that. Let's just say that lot of what happens in the Rebel Alliance isn't so kosher either.

Personally I like the idea of playing as a trooper and the fact that this game fills in some of the events between Return of the Jedi and the Force Awakens is great. The thing people forget is that losing the second Death Star didn't defeat the empire. It just set them waaaaaaaaay back as they didn't have any strong leadership to hold the remnants together. If you read Aftermath there is a lot of in-fighting that happens but eventually they start to stabilize and regain their footing. There are even some worlds that don't even know the emperor died so that Imperial government can remain in control.

I still consider Tie Fighter to be one of my favorite Star Wars game experiences and while the game itself doesn't hold up particularly well these days some of those story beats were fantastic. I also couldn't wait to complete that tattoo.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THEY ARE FUCKING CALLING IT BATTLEFRONT 2 WHEN THAT GAME CAME OUT 12 YEARS AGO!!!

I can understand rebooting the franchise by calling the new one with the old name, but you can't just put a 2 on it.

Never Forget

No Caption Provided

To be fair it is technically "Star Wars: Battlefront 2. EA"

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a single player campaign? That was my only complaint with the last one. The trailer only mentions multiplayer...

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a single player campaign? That was my only complaint with the last one. The trailer only mentions multiplayer...

Yep single player is confirmed. The trailer shows off the premise of the Singe player campaign. Imperial Trooper on Endor receives orders from the Emperor and then the Death Star blows up leading to a revenge story of some kind. Spans multiple eras starts with Return of the Jedi and ends at what looks like Force Awakens.

Totally get the confusion as the single player stuff merges with the multiplayer stuff.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

I was definitely into the pretty parts of the first game, but there wasn't enough there for me to feel like I was getting what I wanted. Rolling in a bunch of amazing new characters like Darth Maul and having maps that feel more alive would go a long way for me personally. The first game just felt like a skeleton of what was to come. The vehicle spawning stuff was a little weird too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.