Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Splatoon

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released May 29, 2015

A third-person shooter/platformer hybrid that lets players paint the environment in colored ink and turn into squids to quickly traverse it. Along with a solo adventure and local one-on-one multiplayer, the game's main focus is its 4-on-4 online multiplayer battles.

Splatoon's Squid Sisters had a live concert last night, and it was amazing. くコ:彡くコ:彡くコ:彡

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Edited By recroulette
    No Caption Provided

At Koshien (A Japanese high school baseball tournament), Nintendo also held a big Splatoon tournament featuring teams from all over Japan. Watching high level players play Splatoon is a lot of fun, and I would recommend it if you get a chance, but the bigger news was that there was going to be a live concert featuring Callie and Marie, the two squid performers that deliver the news every time you load up Splatoon.

Hatsune Miku held her first live concert in Japan back in 2009 and there have been many more concerts in this vein since then. Even in the US it's not that unusual. We've had virtual Micheal Jackson and Tupac perform posthumously. Even the previously mentioned Hatsune Miku performed on The Late Show with David Letterman. What's impressive is that Splatoon hasn't even been out a year yet, but that game has taken over Japan by storm. I mentioned in my GOTY blog that the game does an amazing job building that world, and since the game's release it has slowly grown into something crazy. Something that can allow a live concert featuring two in-game characters. After the first two blocks of the tournament, the concert happened (this was at about 3:30am EST), and it was a great show.

No Caption Provided

The show started with a news broadcast similar to the ones in the game talking about the concert (The Squid Sisters speak their non-existent Nintendo gibberish language, but the subtitles were in Japanese). Then the show began proper, and I'm not going to lie, it was weird at first. After a bit you get used to it, but seeing these characters sing and dance while the crowd is going nuts is an awesome sight. They performed their 4-5 songs in the game, and the live band absolutely killed it, they were extended variations of the songs in the game. The animators behind this also did a fantastic job, I was expecting mostly in-game animations with some lip-syncing, but they had dance routines for each song, with callbacks to some of the ingame stuff (aka the Splatfest dancing). It wasn't a long concert, but seeing it livestreamed with the crowd going nuts (on NicoNico comments appear on the stream if you let them, so you got swarms of 88888888 (applause) and squid emotes. くコ:彡くコ:彡くコ:彡

As someone who loved Splatoon and its soundtrack, this was a joy to watch. It also made me wonder how far Nintendo could take Splatoon in the future, in-game and outside of it. Splatoon 2 (Spla2n) on the NX would be a huge thing for it in Japan. Nintendo has slowly put out official merchandise for the game, and it seems like a no-brainer to eventually put out clothing based on the items in game. The future is bright for Splatoon. Two things I would personally love to see: First, a Splatune Live CD; second, blow this up, add all of your fictional bands and make a full fledged concert out of this. Hightide Era, ABXY, and DJ Octavio along with the Squid Sisters in a Splatoon Music festival would be big. Here's a video of the concert to see it for yourself.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

Some of the 4-8 dudes were talking about this, thanks for posting!

Callie and Marie for some reason always make me think of the two witches from Sugar Sugar Rune. Must be the pointy ears. And fangs. And also their harstyles, kinda.

This has kinda ruined the characters for me. I was not a fan of that manga.

Splatoon still has a cool style though, I'm curious of where they'll take that series in the future.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I still don't really "get" the weird Hatsune Miku hologram concert stuff, but I do love me some Splatoon music. It's cool that Splatoon (or Splatoon related stuff at least) has gotten big enough that this is something that actually happened. Hopefully that means good stuff for Splatoon's future!

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#3 riostarwind  Moderator

I managed to catch this live as well. My expectations were fairly low so I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out to be a fun watch. The musical stage live stream in general was worth tuning into if you enjoy video game music being played live. At one point they were playing a assortment of Final Fantasy themes.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Oh my god that Squid Sisters concert... This is the best.

What a time to be alive.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I love this future.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They making a run at Future, Drake, Kanye, Wiz all of them!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.