Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Respawn Entertainment

Company »

Formed by ex-Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella, Respawn Entertainment is a game development company owned by EA.

Respawn Entertainment's Game Coming in 2015? Not So Fast [UPDATED]

• 112 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    This is from Respawn's next game. No, I don't know what's going on in here, either.
    This is from Respawn's next game. No, I don't know what's going on in here, either.

UPDATE: Hey, I was right. GameSpot heard back from McCaig, who confirmed the 2015 date was his "wildest guess" and he has "no real information" on the game's release date.

--

You won't be playing Respawn Entertainment's first game until 2015, if you believe today's headlines. The news comes out of the Develop conference in Europe, where Iain McCaig, a contracted concept artist working with Respawn, said we wouldn't see his contributions until 2015.

“I’m having the most fun working with Respawn Entertainment right now," said McCaig according to a report by Develop, "and I hate that I can’t show you guys what I’m doing there until 2015.”

Naturally, everyone took that to mean Respawn's game won't show up until 2015, either.

If you take the article at face value, okay.

The problem is there's no way to verify the tone of McCaig's comments. Was there sarcasm? Given the secrecy surrounding Respawn's project, the idea of McCaig cracking a joke about whenever his work would surface would make sense.

There's no audio or video, however, so I can't so for sure--I have to take the comments as written.

None of the evidence surrounding Respawn's activity since its formation makes the 2015 date add up. We're talking about a studio known for turning around some of the best looking and playing games within incredibly aggressive two-year cycles. After forming the company in April 2010, we're supposed to believe the finished product doesn't show up until five years later?

I don't buy it. Nothing I've heard regarding Respawn leads me to believe the 2015 speculation is accurate, and the launch of a website, the releasing of teaser artwork and the hiring of a community manager (what would they do for four years?) all point towards a company with every intention of releasing a game within a more reasoned timeframe.

I contacted Respawn about this but the studio declined to comment. McCraig has not made a follow-up statement, either.

I'll be happy to eat crow if I'm wrong.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

UPDATE: Hey, I was right. GameSpot heard back from McCaig, who confirmed the 2015 date was his "wildest guess" and he has "no real information" on the game's release date.

--

You won't be playing Respawn Entertainment's first game until 2015, if you believe today's headlines. The news comes out of the Develop conference in Europe, where Iain McCaig, a contracted concept artist working with Respawn, said we wouldn't see his contributions until 2015.

“I’m having the most fun working with Respawn Entertainment right now," said McCaig according to a report by Develop, "and I hate that I can’t show you guys what I’m doing there until 2015.”

Naturally, everyone took that to mean Respawn's game won't show up until 2015, either.

If you take the article at face value, okay.

The problem is there's no way to verify the tone of McCaig's comments. Was there sarcasm? Given the secrecy surrounding Respawn's project, the idea of McCaig cracking a joke about whenever his work would surface would make sense.

There's no audio or video, however, so I can't so for sure--I have to take the comments as written.

None of the evidence surrounding Respawn's activity since its formation makes the 2015 date add up. We're talking about a studio known for turning around some of the best looking and playing games within incredibly aggressive two-year cycles. After forming the company in April 2010, we're supposed to believe the finished product doesn't show up until five years later?

I don't buy it. Nothing I've heard regarding Respawn leads me to believe the 2015 speculation is accurate, and the launch of a website, the releasing of teaser artwork and the hiring of a community manager (what would they do for four years?) all point towards a company with every intention of releasing a game within a more reasoned timeframe.

I contacted Respawn about this but the studio declined to comment. McCraig has not made a follow-up statement, either.

I'll be happy to eat crow if I'm wrong.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By X19

hmm

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

LONG ASS LONG.

autumn_thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yep, very unlikely. Especially with them having recently given us a hint screenshot at what they could possibly be working on. 2015 would be crazy.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By DarkShaper

I bet this game will have SO MANY iron sights that it will take 4 years to model them all.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    sephirm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sephirm87

"The news comes out of the Develop conference in Europe, where Iain McCraig, a contracted concept artist working with Respawn, said we wouldn't see his contributions until 2015."

My good friend Mr. McCraig, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Alphazero

If they're starting an engine from scratch two years would be challenging.. but if they're all pros that have done it before it's possible. But I'd vote for three.

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By _Phara0h_

Here is to hoping you're not wrong.............................

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ramone

No way. I don't think any publisher or developer would plan a 4 year development cycle. I think before the year is up we will have seen at least a teaser from Respawn and the game will probably release late 2012, early 2013.

EDIT: BTW Patrick that sub header is a bit misleading as none of this is anywhere near official.

Bravestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bravestar

The goal is set: you have to beat 13 years. Good luck and godspeed.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By samfo

@sephirm87 said:

"The news comes out of the Develop conference in Europe, where Iain McCraig, a contracted concept artist working with Respawn, said we wouldn't see his contributions until 2015."

hahaha made me laugh

Swick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Swick

Only way that could be true is if they were developing an MMO, which I tend to doubt.

rwcohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By rwcohn

@Alphazero: The hardware is pretty established by now, and it's the same group of dudes who turned Quake 3 into MW2. I don't think engine development is a significant manpower drain to them at this point.

autumn_thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By autumn_thunder
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By nintendoeats

It seems reasonable that Respawn is developing something intended to come out over a period of time and this guy is working on something intended to go out later in the product's lifespan. It's also possible that, as suggested, he was just exaggerating.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By buzz_clik

I'd just like to say that this is the first time I've seen Respawn Entertainment's logo. They used the NASA fontfor it? Ugh.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@sephirm87 said:

Hey, did you go to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College, too?

Kingloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Kingloo

I don't buy 2015 either. You do not hire a community manager in January 2011 (aka Abbie Heppe) if you don't intend to say things during calendar 2011.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Portis

@sephirm87 said:

HAHAHA.

Made my day.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ghostiet
    TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By TPoppaPuff

If they're using Frostbite engine, you might see it by the end of next year.  If they're working from the ground up on a new engine?  Maybe Q2 2013 but likely Q4 2013.
    LosDub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LosDub

from what we should have all learned in the Gaming Industry NO DATE IS SET IN STONE! EVAH!!! no matter the game or whatever. there has been many times im getting excited to see a game and play it only to find out close to release it gets delayed, which has happened numerous times and very VERY rare occasions release dates get pushed up

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Great...

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By rapid

If the game is not coming out until 2015, I'd imagine they plan to release the game on the next gen consoles? 

megasoum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By megasoum

@buzz_clik said:

I'd just like to say that this is the first time I've seen Respawn Entertainment's logo. They used the NASA fontfor it? Ugh.

The first thing they said after launching the website was that this is not the actual logo. They just needed something to put on the site while they work on the design for the real thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is ironic in a sense how they use to be called 2015 when they made medal of honor allied assault. Thats the only game I ever liked from them.If they some how made MOHAA 2 That would be godlike I had so much fun with MOHAA MP over the years the OBJ match to this day is still more challenging and fun then any COD game they ever made.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Seedofpower

Question is would any of us care by then?

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By captain_clayman

i can wait.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By patrickklepek

@Jonny7892 said:

No way. I don't think any publisher or developer would plan a 4 year development cycle. I think before the year is up we will have seen at least a teaser from Respawn and the game will probably release late 2012, early 2013.

EDIT: BTW Patrick that sub header is a bit misleading as none of this is anywhere near official.

I realize that. I'm saying the speculation about 2015 is wrong.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Take the time.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sogeman

haha, best looking.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FlipperDesert

2015? Bah, I'll be too busy hoverboarding and becoming part of a machine hive mind by then!

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By EuanDewar

I took this to be a reference to the 2015 development studio.

FMinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FMinus

I guess it's just another shooter, cause we don't have enough of them.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MisterMouse

I hope it is not that far away.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhhh, that's a long time to wait.  I really hope it isn't that far off, surely it isn't.

RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RockAction

The two most logical explanations i've read are either that he meant 2013 or they're working on more than one project 

Doubt EA would leave it that long, though with the trial etc they may want to leave it for a while, and introducing a new IP, even by those guys towards the end of the consoles lifecycles doens't make a lot of sense; the earliest we're likely to see their game is realistically 2013 and with the news this week, and just general assumption, that microsoft will either have announced or be releasing their new console in 2013 with sony likely doing the same, so for respawn to put the effort into a new IP just to have 'better' games coming out -  i mean graphically more alluring; even be overshadowed by the release of new consoles - doesn't make sense 

so 2015 makes sense, and gives them time to let the new consoles breath and more importantly sell more over those initial one or two years before launching a new IP  

more than likely this is incorrect or misinterpreted, not many companies commit outright to a 5 year development process its usually the outcome of setbacks so it does seem odd but i'm sure we'll hear more about it 

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FoolishChaos

Um

Couldn't this just mean that this specific concept artist is working on their second or third game?

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By meteora

2015 will only make sense if they're starting a engine from scratch, don't have a huge team to work with and is making one of those big open world games. 2013-2014 seems more reasonable.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By RIDEBIRD

My first thought was that it was a simple nod to 2015 studios, but that seems very weird. I hope they take their sweet time though, and that they write an incredibly great engine from scratch and develop for next gen consoles. Sure, MW2 looks okay-ish on PC thank's to being fairly high res, but shaders and effects really do look like shit.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By buzz_clik

@Megasoum said:

@buzz_clik said:

The first thing they said after launching the website was that this is not the actual logo. They just needed something to put on the site while they work on the design for the real thing.

Even as a stopgap I find it icky. Obviously not as bad as it being their true logo, but icky nonetheless. Good to know, though!

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure if it would be funny, sad, or awesome if these guys went back to their roots of making Medal of Honor games.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By delta_ass

It's obviously concept art of the Lost Valley from "The Land Before Time."

bsavvi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By bsavvi

The PS4/720 will probably be out for a year or so when 2015 comes around. So does that mean Respawn are working with next gen dev kits?

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By blair

Patrick, dinosaurs.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai
    Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least they've got time. Unlike when they were working on that "other" franchise.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By citizenjp

wow 4 years away...great current news lol. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.