Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance 3

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

In the third game in Insomniac's Resistance franchise, you will play as Joseph Capelli, murderer of previous protagonist Nathan Hale, as he journeys across the Chimera-controlled United States.

Resistance 3 is a very troubled game.

frondoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By frondoni

Resistance 3 is a deeply troubled game. For some personal background, I’ve played the beta for a little over 2 hours, leveling myself to rank 20. The game counts 329 kills in my favor and 170 deaths against me, making my kill-death ration just under 2.0. These figures are not presented to brag, merely to give a history to my experience. And from my playtime logged, it’s clear that Resistance 3 is riddled with problems, both technical and in game design. Let’s start with the former.

Technical

Audio and visual glitches abound in Resistance 3. It seems most of the action in the game ever actual gets rendered for the player to experience. Invisible, silent bullets will race towards the player, condemning him to a cold death at the hands of an unseen foe. Players – friendly, enemy, and one’s self - will alternate between soundless killers and extraordinary loud beacons of noise for no apparent reason. I believe one weapon, the atomizer, does not have any sound at any time, making it impossible to hear when an opponent could be firing near or at the player’s location.

The HUD also tends to freak out, often incorrectly displaying where damaging shots originate. To understand how disorienting this is, imagine the following scenario – a shot hits from behind. Since the player is not physically connected to the game, the only indication they have of this damage is a visual effect overlaid on the screen and a red arrow pointing in the direction of the enemy. So the player spins toward the arrow only to face – a wall. Not behind, but to the side, where the deceitful arrow pointed. And then more shots. More arrows. Another wall. A hallway. The ceiling? A chair? As the player contemplates why the furniture turned against them so, they die, and the post death camera zooms in on the attacker. He is directly behind the player, and has not moved once.

Worse still, online lag is so prevalent in virtually every match that any sort of meaningful reaction is impossible. Every action, either an offensive or defensive move, must be done preemptively. This lag issue is admittedly common in online games, particularly ones that move at shooter speed. But Resistance 3 fails to mitigate the effects in any way, rendering planning or mid-fight thinking pointless. During the midst of battle, a player cannot reliably deploy any of the game’s variety of shields in reaction to a development. If charged by an opponent, the anti-melee shield will be so slow to come out (due to latency problems, not intentional design) as to render it entirely useless. This gives the entire experience a sort of surreal feel, as if fighting partially against the opponents and partially against one’s own conceptions of what might happen. The game is still playable, of course, but it struggles to get over these very significant hurdles.

Design

Here is a game that desperately wants to be Call of Duty, but cannot quite trim itself down enough. The elements are all here: perks, unlocks, a basic class system, and kill streaks. But it fails to capture what makes the Call of Duty series so enticing to such a wide group of people. Simply put, Call of Duty’s success comes from its speed. It’s a fast game, easy to play and easy to go on incredible streaks. Even if the average player’s game time is mostly composed of deaths and loses, those few moments, those unbelievable streaks and the ludicrous power over others they provide, give a high that gamers will gladly sink hours into reclaiming.

So maybe it’s understandable that Resistance 3 tried to emulate the series, but it’s still very disappointing. Beyond that, the game feels far too bloated and slow for any of the quick, Call of Duty like thrills it tries to provide. Player movement seems oddly restrained, and the token sprint only boost the speed slightly. Jumping is awkward and the player characters are incapable of vaulting over moderately high obstacles. There’s a restrictive feel to the overall movement in the game, as though everything is just slightly too clunky and slow to be engaging. But the major issue is the enormous amount of health players have. People just don’t die fast enough.

Resistance 3 uses extremely large health pools in a Call of Duty style game to rather poor effect. Firefights drag on far too long. This makes for some rather funny visuals (I never know humans could survive so many bullet wounds), but also rather dull gameplay. It also directly discourages team play, as an assist will not boost the player toward their kill streak, and moving in squads assures some measure of accidental kill-stealing. Consequently, the vast majority of Resistance 3 becomes one on one battles in which two payer circle strafe while wildly firing. No meaningful actions can be taken – no jumps or dives or any sort of quick movements – meaning that player dexterity has little effect on the fight. Grenades won’t detonate fast enough to save the day. And we’ve already covered why the defense mechanisms are largely useless. The game lacks tactical options during combat, and it’s just plain boring.

Of course, no modern shooter is complete without some sort of unlock scheme. It is, as previously mentioned, present in Resistance 3, and remarkably broken. As players advance in rank, they get points to spend on new weapons and perks and the ability to spend them. It essentially the system in Call of Duty: Black Ops, but with minor cosmetic changes. Now it’s clear why developers create these systems – they encourage grinding and replaying one specific title, rather than playing a variety of different games (and possibly not buying the map pack, heaven forbid). But ideally the unlock system should be as unobtrusive as possible. New players receive a reasonable amount of toys to play with, and experience vets gain shinier versions, and maybe a slight new power here and there. Resistance 3, and I assure you this is no exaggeration, literally rewards higher level players with straight damage and health boosts, and then throws them some superior firepower.

Initially, a starting player has access to one (1) class with exactly one (1) weapon. If a new player does not like using an assault rifle, preferring a sniper or maybe a shotgun, they’re just out of luck. This problem of weapon mismatch worsens when considered alongside the large health pools; it will take more than a few lucky shots to score a kill, conceivably difficult if the player disagrees with the tool forced upon them. Older players have evolved beyond such petty restraints, and have access to powerful perks and upgraded versions of all the firearms. They even have the atomizer, the hilariously named silent killing machine.

Balance isn’t really that big an issue in Resistance 3, but it’s telling that the developers saw it fit to simply buff players as they advanced, rather than fairly integrate the weapons across levels. The entire game is filled with these glaring oversights. There might be a good experience buried somewhere in this beta; I have a feeling it will take until after September 6th to dig it out.

frondoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By frondoni

Resistance 3 is a deeply troubled game. For some personal background, I’ve played the beta for a little over 2 hours, leveling myself to rank 20. The game counts 329 kills in my favor and 170 deaths against me, making my kill-death ration just under 2.0. These figures are not presented to brag, merely to give a history to my experience. And from my playtime logged, it’s clear that Resistance 3 is riddled with problems, both technical and in game design. Let’s start with the former.

Technical

Audio and visual glitches abound in Resistance 3. It seems most of the action in the game ever actual gets rendered for the player to experience. Invisible, silent bullets will race towards the player, condemning him to a cold death at the hands of an unseen foe. Players – friendly, enemy, and one’s self - will alternate between soundless killers and extraordinary loud beacons of noise for no apparent reason. I believe one weapon, the atomizer, does not have any sound at any time, making it impossible to hear when an opponent could be firing near or at the player’s location.

The HUD also tends to freak out, often incorrectly displaying where damaging shots originate. To understand how disorienting this is, imagine the following scenario – a shot hits from behind. Since the player is not physically connected to the game, the only indication they have of this damage is a visual effect overlaid on the screen and a red arrow pointing in the direction of the enemy. So the player spins toward the arrow only to face – a wall. Not behind, but to the side, where the deceitful arrow pointed. And then more shots. More arrows. Another wall. A hallway. The ceiling? A chair? As the player contemplates why the furniture turned against them so, they die, and the post death camera zooms in on the attacker. He is directly behind the player, and has not moved once.

Worse still, online lag is so prevalent in virtually every match that any sort of meaningful reaction is impossible. Every action, either an offensive or defensive move, must be done preemptively. This lag issue is admittedly common in online games, particularly ones that move at shooter speed. But Resistance 3 fails to mitigate the effects in any way, rendering planning or mid-fight thinking pointless. During the midst of battle, a player cannot reliably deploy any of the game’s variety of shields in reaction to a development. If charged by an opponent, the anti-melee shield will be so slow to come out (due to latency problems, not intentional design) as to render it entirely useless. This gives the entire experience a sort of surreal feel, as if fighting partially against the opponents and partially against one’s own conceptions of what might happen. The game is still playable, of course, but it struggles to get over these very significant hurdles.

Design

Here is a game that desperately wants to be Call of Duty, but cannot quite trim itself down enough. The elements are all here: perks, unlocks, a basic class system, and kill streaks. But it fails to capture what makes the Call of Duty series so enticing to such a wide group of people. Simply put, Call of Duty’s success comes from its speed. It’s a fast game, easy to play and easy to go on incredible streaks. Even if the average player’s game time is mostly composed of deaths and loses, those few moments, those unbelievable streaks and the ludicrous power over others they provide, give a high that gamers will gladly sink hours into reclaiming.

So maybe it’s understandable that Resistance 3 tried to emulate the series, but it’s still very disappointing. Beyond that, the game feels far too bloated and slow for any of the quick, Call of Duty like thrills it tries to provide. Player movement seems oddly restrained, and the token sprint only boost the speed slightly. Jumping is awkward and the player characters are incapable of vaulting over moderately high obstacles. There’s a restrictive feel to the overall movement in the game, as though everything is just slightly too clunky and slow to be engaging. But the major issue is the enormous amount of health players have. People just don’t die fast enough.

Resistance 3 uses extremely large health pools in a Call of Duty style game to rather poor effect. Firefights drag on far too long. This makes for some rather funny visuals (I never know humans could survive so many bullet wounds), but also rather dull gameplay. It also directly discourages team play, as an assist will not boost the player toward their kill streak, and moving in squads assures some measure of accidental kill-stealing. Consequently, the vast majority of Resistance 3 becomes one on one battles in which two payer circle strafe while wildly firing. No meaningful actions can be taken – no jumps or dives or any sort of quick movements – meaning that player dexterity has little effect on the fight. Grenades won’t detonate fast enough to save the day. And we’ve already covered why the defense mechanisms are largely useless. The game lacks tactical options during combat, and it’s just plain boring.

Of course, no modern shooter is complete without some sort of unlock scheme. It is, as previously mentioned, present in Resistance 3, and remarkably broken. As players advance in rank, they get points to spend on new weapons and perks and the ability to spend them. It essentially the system in Call of Duty: Black Ops, but with minor cosmetic changes. Now it’s clear why developers create these systems – they encourage grinding and replaying one specific title, rather than playing a variety of different games (and possibly not buying the map pack, heaven forbid). But ideally the unlock system should be as unobtrusive as possible. New players receive a reasonable amount of toys to play with, and experience vets gain shinier versions, and maybe a slight new power here and there. Resistance 3, and I assure you this is no exaggeration, literally rewards higher level players with straight damage and health boosts, and then throws them some superior firepower.

Initially, a starting player has access to one (1) class with exactly one (1) weapon. If a new player does not like using an assault rifle, preferring a sniper or maybe a shotgun, they’re just out of luck. This problem of weapon mismatch worsens when considered alongside the large health pools; it will take more than a few lucky shots to score a kill, conceivably difficult if the player disagrees with the tool forced upon them. Older players have evolved beyond such petty restraints, and have access to powerful perks and upgraded versions of all the firearms. They even have the atomizer, the hilariously named silent killing machine.

Balance isn’t really that big an issue in Resistance 3, but it’s telling that the developers saw it fit to simply buff players as they advanced, rather than fairly integrate the weapons across levels. The entire game is filled with these glaring oversights. There might be a good experience buried somewhere in this beta; I have a feeling it will take until after September 6th to dig it out.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By StrikeALight

Its a shame. Brad and Jeff mentioned it was looking janky as fuck, back @ E3.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Before I read, how was Resistance 2?

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@AhmadMetallic said:

Surprisingly, not that bad. There was definite jank to it, but the multi-player was fun and the campaign provided a reasonable experience. 

Nowhere near as bad as some of the reviews would have you believe.
    Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GetEveryone: R2's metacritic is 87...I'd say that's generous for what it is. 
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By penguindust
    @AhmadMetallic:  I can't speak to the multiplayer for Resistance 2, but the single-player was a huge disappointment.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EVO

Design complaints aside, all those technical issues could just be limited to the beta.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Master_Funk

Hmm, Ill hold judgement till its released, but I remember nothing but great responses from the single player preview discs they sent to some sites a few months ago. Could care less about multiplayer if the single player is great.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:
    @GetEveryone: R2's metacritic is 87...I'd say that's generous for what it is. 
    ...and I wouldn't disagree with you. As I said: some of the reviews were particularly harsh, and while there was definite jank, it provided a reasonable experience. 

It isn't a great game by a long-shot, but I didn't think it was awful.
    Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Klei

I don't care about miltuplayer, lolololol. I just want to over-the-top SP with badass weapons. I don't have to prove my e-peen against 12 years old online.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SlasherMan

Played a few hours of the beta, and technical issues aside, it's feeling just like any other generic modern online shooter. It's pretty bland, and kinda boring.

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By HairyMike87

Never played a Resistance game before this beta and to me it feels like a mix between a couple modern shooters with an old school mentality. Not necessarily a great thing. It was somewhat enjoyable until there were the lag issues, but that is part of a beta and hopefully won't be in the retail version. I'm curious to see how well it's received by critics and fans of the series.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By cosi83

Yeah it's all about the single player and it will not disappoint 

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By zombie2011

I actually like it when you have lots of health in MP shooters, i prefer Gears and Halo style games more than COD ,where you can spray a couple bullets, and kill people.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By Yummylee

I'm only hoping for a solid single player at this point. These days, virtually every facebook update from the Insomniac page is them apologising and stating in advance that they'll be making alterations, closing servers for repair, resetting ranks ect. 

@AhmadMetallic said:

I thought it was really good. I actually really enjoyed the single player, though I understand one of only a very minor few. The main highlight of it all was easily with the multiplayer -the eight player cooperative mode in particular--and R2 was my personal GOTY for 2008.  

The game's got really solid critic scores all over as well, which makes me pretty perplexed as to why so many people disregard the game so much.
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Vonocourt

Yep, the Battle: Los Angeles blu-ray demo killed what interest I had in it.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GetEveryone: Spot on.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By GunstarRed

Just played my first, probably last match in the beta. There was so much weirdness going on. Getting killed and then the screen jumping all over the place, sound cut outs, getting killed almost immediately out of a spawn by god knows what. And its ugly as hell. Kinda liked the first game but the second was boring, even the co-op.
    The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By The_Nubster

I have to say I disliked almost everything about Resistance 2. it came with my PS3, and I had heard rave things about it from friends (though it may have just been because, aside from Uncharted, there wasn't much happening on the PS3 at the time), so I was ready for a decent FPS game. Now I'm no FPS connoisseur, but even I could tell Resistance 2 lacked in gameplay. It had some impressive setpieces, but it lacked the weight and importance of the later God of War 3, and the mechanics just felt really dull and slow. The kills didn't feel rewarding at all. It reminded me of Doom, but slow and sad.

frondoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By frondoni
    @EVO: I hope they are, since it really crippled the experience. If anyone picks up the full game, let me know if you encounter all that. 

@zombie2011
    :  Its not just the health, it how its implemented. The whole game feels really restricted and artificially slow because of the overly large health pools.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.