Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resistance 3

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

In the third game in Insomniac's Resistance franchise, you will play as Joseph Capelli, murderer of previous protagonist Nathan Hale, as he journeys across the Chimera-controlled United States.

Is anyone excited for this?

• 53 results
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

I haven't seen that much chatter on the GB boards about Resistance 3. Is anyone going to get this game day 1 or at all? This is one of Sony's big games this year yet I can't help but feel nothing for it. Resistance 1 was a great launch game, still like how they executed the whole Alien invasion thing in the 1950s to this day, but Resistance 2 was a bummer. I think I'm skipping this one.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By SuperWristBands

I have no interest in it. Shooters aren't really my thing anymore but even when they were I really didn't like the campaign in the second game. I don't even really remember anything about the first game other than that I played it co-op with my brother and that was what we liked about it... that it had co-op.

Avatar image for gladiator_games
    Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Gladiator_Games

I was all over the Resistance series when I heard about it. It was portrayed as a WW2 shooter... with 'Nids. Sadly, I was horribly mislead. I really wanted to be krumpin some bugs with a Kar98, or a M1, sadly, they said "here, have some modern weaponry!" I was a sad panda that day. Sadly, I feel its a pretty generic shooter by today's standards. It had a chance to do something awesome (like Turning Point), but they squandered it.

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Devoid

I remember the first game being pretty good. But something about the second game really put me off of it, and I never ended up finishing it.

Doesn't help that they showed off possibly the most bland demo I've ever seen at E3, though.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RE_Player1

@SuperWristBands: lol I played it co-op with my brother as well. All I remember is that it was good for a launch game.

ShadowofIntent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShadowofIntent

First one was meh.
    Second one was meher.
    E3 demo was mehest.
    Think i'll pass.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SuperCycle

I'll probably pick it up, but not right away. I'm curious about the reviews though, if it turns out to be a really excellent game I might end up getting it earlier than expected.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By bicycleham  Online

It's coming out the day I go back to school. What a great release date. 

Also, Resistance is a load of crap.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Surkov

Liked Resistance 1. I only R2's coop. They haven't said anything about R3's coop and that worries me. 

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Tsoglani

I will probably pick it up day 1; all reports so far (GameInformer, etc.) indicate it to be pretty awesome. That said, i was a bit disappointed with Resistance 2, so hopefully this will be better.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Afroman269

I don't get why the Resistance franchise became "big" for Sony. Those games are boring. Rented Resistance 2 and returned it next day, too bland for my tastes.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Loose
    @Afroman269 said:

I don't get why the Resistance franchise became "big" for Sony. Those games are boring. Rented Resistance 2 and returned it next day, too bland for my tastes.

Sony's got a pretty good marketing department I guess?
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Hmmmmmm...

No.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Marz

I only played a bit of the first game.  But after playing Resistance 3 beta for a few hours i'm kind of not interested, seems like much better games to spend money on in the next few months.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NTM
    @RE_Player92: Yeah, I don't know what it is about the first Resistance, 'cause the only way I and my brother beat it was on co-op. Didn't have enough motivation to do it single-player I guess, and that's rare.  

Anyways, I'm not all that excited about this. I liked both Resistance games, but they both kind of felt alienated from the rest of the games you get, and not in a good way really. I might get this at some point, definitely not first day.
    Avatar image for nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor
    nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the first one, hated the second one, but I have to finish the fight. So yes.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By canucks23

No. I was burned with R2, and this doesn't look like anything special.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By niamahai

When its cheaper.  Money is being reserved this month for WH40k and Gears3.

Resistance is a casebook study how NOT to make a FPS.  They literally put the corridor in corridor shootouts.
    I am curios to see how R3 perform in the market, seeing that Space Marine is also released on the same week.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vonocourt

@Surkov said:

Liked Resistance 1. I only R2's coop. They haven't said anything about R3's coop and that worries me.

Co-op is the single-player campaign iirc, it's definitely not that eight player madness that was the highlight of R2, I know that for sure.

But no, I'm not excited. I thought the demo, to be honest, was shit. It pains me to say it, but this is a Insomniac title that I have no interest in.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By Yummylee

I am... for the most part. The multiplayer looks incredibly uninspired and honestly gives me the impression that the series has taken themselves down the long, dreary road of becoming yet-another-CoD-clone. The single player looks to be really great, at least. Insomniac also for what it's worth look like they're trying for a much more emotionally impact-full story. Plus the SP will have coop, though it sucks this had to completely replace the fantastic eight player coop from R2.

I'm a pretty devoted fan to the series, and the Resistance series is the only FPS I've ever invested towards; I got a lot of mileage out of both of the first two, though even I'm finding R3 to look a little sketchy. There's a been a huge amount of fuck-ups throughout the MP on the beta, which is a bit of a concern considering the game is being released next week.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By Sooperspy

The MP beta was fun for an hour or so. I may rent it for the SP since that seems cool.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DonPixel

Probably like 5 dudes

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic

lolno

shadystx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shadystx

I do not plan on buying this on release day, At the moment I plan on putting this in my rental cue. 

I enjoyed the first Resistance, It was by no means a great game IMO but an enjoyable one, I am not a big MP gamer and really only play fifa online at length, I do enjoy racing sims like Gran Turismo and Forza online but I am mainly a gamer who enjoys single player games with a good story or rich game world, I enjoy playing some shooters online, loved gears 1 and have enjoyed some COD and Halo MP but I am a competitive person who likes to be competitive and the amount of time I would need to dedicate to one game to get really good in MP is just not available so I tend to not get into Multiplayer in shooters. 

I mention all that as I hated R2, granted I never give the MP longer than 2 hours as i had so many other games to play and the single player was just bad IMO, I really cannot put my finger on it, Just something about the feel of the game felt off for the 4-5 hours I played, It felt like a chore from minute one, and the fact the story was basically non existent or very poorly implemented that I just missed it lead me to trading the game in while i could still get a decent price. 

The novelty of the alternative history setting wore off after the first game so unless R3 comes out and reviews are very positive it's no more than a rental for me.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Spoonman671

Absolutely, I expect Amazon to deliver it to me on release day.  The ending of Resistance 2 created an interesting jumping off point for Resistance 3 and I'm interested in seeing where the story goes.  The game appears to be the sequel to Fall of Man that R2 failed to be.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hwy_61

@Redbullet685 said:

The MP beta was fun for an hour or so. I may rent it for the SP since that seems cool.

Seconded.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By BoG

I was really excited for Resistance 2, and although there was nothing wrong with it... I just didn't like it. Sadly, I'm not really following the series anymore.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By project343

After Insomniac took a steaming dump on all sense of 'atmosphere' and 'pacing' in Resistance 2, I'm staying sceptical.

That said, Resistance: Fall of Man was pretty great. Felt a lot like the original Halo, but in a drastically more grim setting.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Justin258
    @Surkov said:
    The third one is supposed to be 4-player co-op all the way through the campaign. At least that's what I read in the Game Informer cover story a while back. It might have been two player, but I think it was 4. 

OP: Anyway, yeah, Resistance series. There are much, much better shooters out there. The games all work, but none of them really floated my boat like I thought they would. It was basically "here are some guns, here are some aliens" and it felt like that was all the game was offering me. It wasn't a very pretty game, its story was just workable, its levels were nothing that hadn't been done before, etc. Definitely wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't the great game that it was made out to be either. 

Kind of like Uncharted, but at least Uncharted had some really cool moments in it. 

The second iteration did some things better and others worse. The bosses in it were fun, but that's the best thing I can say about it - that its massive enemies were fun to take down. There were also some tense moments, like when the water was rising and there were killer shark thingys in it and you had to run up. But there were tons of absolutely frustrating moments (those motherfucking big guys that charge you with an impenetrable, personal shield were horrible). Out of respect for my $20 and in the hopes that it would get much better, I beat Resistance 2 on easy mode because I just wanted to blow through the worst parts and see some of the better ones.  

Yet for some reason I still find myself with high hopes for the third game. They're bringing back health bars and allowing you to carry all of your guns, which is a big plus for me. They're changing the main character, which is another big plus for me - Nathan Hale was just a fucking idiot in the second game (Inhibitors! You can take an extra hour to go fucking use one and survive, damn it!) and I feel it's better for the series that he got a hole in the head. Finally, what I have seen of it looks like it could turn out to be a whole lot better than its predecessors. 

Still, if it doesn't do anything better than its older brothers then I'll just go play one of the other sure-to-be-stellar releases this year. Gears of War seems sure to be upping the ante yet again, Skyrim is going to be great, Uncharted 3 is hitting shelves, RAGE ought to be good, etc.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By gamb1t

i didnt think 1 was good or awful. havent bought 2 and i have no intentions on doing anytime fast (maybe for 5 bucks?) 3 who knows? not on my to by list any time soon

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Abyssfull: The weapons are enough to differentiate it wildly from CoD, so I dunno what you see in it that looks like CoD. Generally the same gameplay, but that's pretty much it.

@Gladiator_Games: *guffah*

your kidding right? Turning Point? That's your example?

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Gabriel

I really liked where the plot went in Resistance 2 which was only decipherable if you collected all the intel, so I am interested very much in the single player part of Resistance 3.

Avatar image for chaoskiller2000
    Chaoskiller2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#33  Edited By Chaoskiller2000

I am very excited! I love that game series! It may not be the best or anything but it is always fun.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jazzycola

I'm interested in it but will it be day one? No. I don't have a working PS3 at the moment and even if I did R2 disappointed me too much for me to consider buying it day one. R: Fall of Man is one of my favorite PS3 exclusives. Sure it's unoriginal and it hasn't aged all that well but it was one of the first PS3 games I ever played so it has that sorta sentimental value.

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Abyssfull: The weapons are enough to differentiate it wildly from CoD, so I dunno what you see in it that looks like CoD. Generally the same gameplay, but that's pretty much it.

He may have been referring to how grey and brown it looks. (Maybe?) Because the single player demos I've seen(via GB, GS etc) its pretty damn grey.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By toowalrus

I dunno. I JUST finished the first game (digging into the PS3 backlog). It was OK, I'm slightly interested in the cliffhanger at the end of the first game, so I'll probably play Resistance 2, but I can't say I'm excited for it.

shermanatorek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By shermanatorek

Yes I am, I love the story of the resistance franchise.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Aus_azn

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Aetheldod

No , got burned out after 2 no longer care for the series

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By csl316

I have every intention of playing this, since I enjoyed the first 2. Planned on a day 1 purchase, actually.

But for whatever reason, I'm gonna skip most of the first person shooters coming out this year, at least for now. Maybe I'll pick it up next year after wrapping up Mass Effect 3. I'm only gonna go through the campaign, despite spending more time than I usually do on part 2's mp.

Dayewalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dayewalker

I just finished the first game last week and played the second for a half hour or so. I'm looking forward to seeing how the reviews turn out for the third game so I have some sort of idea if it will even be worth my time/money.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#41  Edited By Yummylee
    @MordeaniisChaos:  
    I'm talking about the multiplayer, and how it's been reduced to 16 players from R2's 60 count, and how now they have killstreaks and perks. R2's multiplayer wasn't exactly a beam of creativity, but the 60 player objective based mode, along with the 8 player coop, certainly made it stand out a little more from the ground. 
    Avatar image for gladiator_games
    Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gladiator_Games

@MordeaniisChaos I'm using Turning Point as an example of a game with a premise that is really old (WW2), but then takes it an does something totally different, and then completely squanders it. Just like the Resistance series.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By Jost1

Resistance 2's campaign was very problematic. Hope this one is better. I'm moderately excited yeah.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AuthenticM

I don't understand the hate for the franchise. Resistance 1 had a terrific single-player campaign, but the multiplayer was lacking . Resistance 2 had a poor single-player campaign, but the multiplayer was terrific. I platinumed this game, which means that I got the 10 000 kills trophy. I did not boost or anything; I was legitimately playing the game and was enjoying the hell out of it. I played the beta of R3 and thought it was even better than R2! I expect to be playing this game a LOT. So yes, I will be getting it and am really excited for it.

ghostchant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ghostchant

I loved R1 and 2 so I'm super stoked for this

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at all.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By Jayross

I'll rent it for the singleplayer... doesn't look like it can compete with other products in the same price-range.

=\

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By metalmoog

I will be picking this up today after work. I thought Resistance 2 was a great game and ended on a really high note. The last few levels were fantastic, my favourites of the whole game. 

After watching a few videos and reading a few reviews, I'm really excited to grab this and get back into the fight against the Chimera.

I played a tiny bit of the beta and enjoyed it, so far I have no complaints and hope I enjoy this game as much as Resistance 2.

It can't possibly be as big of a letdown as Killzone 3 was anyway.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RE_Player1

@MetalMoog: While the story in Killzone 3 was lacking I found the actual missions to be fun and I still play the online to this day. I might pick up Resistance 3 but not now, maybe when it drops to $30.

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Deeveeus

The second I finish LA Noire, it is being traded for this, oh yes

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.