Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 4

Game » consists of 39 releases. Released Jan 11, 2005

Special agent Leon S. Kennedy travels to rural Spain to rescue the U.S. President's kidnapped daughter in Resident Evil's sixth canonical installment. It is notable for a lengthy development cycle which involved a complete overhaul of the series' established gameplay mechanics.

Do people consider this game scary?

• 86 results
    Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Yadilie

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Yadilie said:

Probably only the same people who think Dead Space 1 is scary. RE4 is the beginning of the action only Resident Evil. The start of the plague.

Dead Space is the greatest Survival Horror this generation. That game was fucking brilliant late at night with surround sound headphones cranked up. Way scarier than RE4

You must be one weak willed individual. Nothing is scary about being an unstoppable killing machine. Not to say Dead Space is bad, it's my favorite new IP, but Survival Horror it is not.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By onarum

nah, not scary in the slightest, I can say this since I played it to completion and I can't handle real scary games at all.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Sackmanjones

I'd say its more unsettling than anything elsw

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Not scary, but a generally tense atmosphere with brilliant (for the time) lighting that made for a dark mood. It's not a 'jump scare ohmahgawd' game, but the tension and mood are definitely dark.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By Hunter5024

So with such tenuous genre definitions as it is it's pretty pointless for everybody to argue about whether or not Dead Space matches the definition (and if we're going by our sites definition than it matches Dead Space to the letter). But regardless of all that, if inventory management is what defines a survival horror game as some people in this thread seem to think, it's no wonder that the genre died.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#56  Edited By GunstarRed

Not really scary, but it's definitely tense. I remember being a little scared when you got the first person view of what's coming at you down the tunnel and then youre trapped in the room with that monster man and all the gas things.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By LikeaSsur

I've never understood the logic behind the people that come into topics like this and say "Pffft, you found X scary? I practically yawned through that part" and/or "(insert generally agreed upon scary game here) isn't scary at all. I didn't even flinch during (that one part)."

Yes, we get it, you've got a deficiency that makes your body unable to properly trigger the fight-or-flight response, you don't need to brag about it.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @LikeaSsur

I've never understood the logic behind the people that come into topics like this and say "Pffft, you found X scary? I practically yawned through that part" and/or "(insert generally agreed upon scary game here) isn't scary at all. I didn't even flinch during (that one part)."

Yes, we get it, you've got a deficiency that makes your body unable to properly trigger the fight-or-flight response, you don't need to brag about it.

That seems like what this whole thread is turning into. "You thought THAT was scary? What a baby!" We get it, let's not turn this into a dick measuring contest. Different things are scary to different people.
    Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Roger778

@Bourbon_Warrior:

I agree with you. Dead Space is the scariest game I've ever played.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By laserbolts

I dont remember findin it too scary. The part where the flaming dude busts out of the furnace made me jump though.

procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By procrasturbate

Creepy not scary. SUPER tense...if you played it back in the day when it came out, nothing came close to the experience. I ran and bought a used GameCube system and a new copy of the game when i had a chance to play it. Beat it so many times is not even funny. Bought the Wii version. Haven't tried the recently released HD version and i don't think i will.

procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By procrasturbate

@Roger778: Same here. Dead Space f*cked me up in a couple of spots. Played that game with headphones the whole time. Dead Space is to me a "scary" "action" game in which you need to "survive" an onslaught of demons in outer space.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By geirr

Not in the slightest. It's a great comedy however!

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Yadilie said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Yadilie said:

Probably only the same people who think Dead Space 1 is scary. RE4 is the beginning of the action only Resident Evil. The start of the plague.

Dead Space is the greatest Survival Horror this generation. That game was fucking brilliant late at night with surround sound headphones cranked up. Way scarier than RE4

You must be one weak willed individual. Nothing is scary about being an unstoppable killing machine. Not to say Dead Space is bad, it's my favorite new IP, but Survival Horror it is not.

Unstoppable Killing Machine? who must be another weak willed individual who played on easy ;-)

ImaTreee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ImaTreee

@Bourbon_Warrior: so it's scarier if you play on a harder difficulty? go play the silent hill games (1-3). those games are creepy as hell no matter what difficulties you play them on.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Grillbar

i dont but then again none of the re games was scary

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Ducksworth

Not super scary but I'm pretty sure the first time I played through it I was scared. I am a big baby though, doesn't take much to scare me.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#68  Edited By dethfish

It scared me pretty good, but I'm scared very easily. Took me forever to man up enough just to play Bioshock.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Karl_Boss

I thought the Regenerators were pretty creepy, but other than that it wasn't scary

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By JaredA

Although I didn't finish it, I thought RE 4 was terrifying! I can't believe all these people who are saying otherwise. They must have the courage of a thousand men. I can hardly even play Dead Space 1 or Amnesia because I start shaking/sweating. I don't know how you people complete these games. They make me physically ill.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@ImaTreee said:

@Bourbon_Warrior: so it's scarier if you play on a harder difficulty? go play the silent hill games (1-3). those games are creepy as hell no matter what difficulties you play them on.

I have played them and like them.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
    deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pfft... I don't think anything is scary cus my wang is HUGE.

Laurentech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Laurentech

It can be tense (my first encounter with a Regenerador comes to mind) and very atmospheric, but that's about it. Then again, I would describe pretty much any decent horror game that way. I haven't actually been scared by a video game since I was a kid.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#74  Edited By Hizang

@AjayRaz said:

not so much scary, but more tense. mobs of enemies in RE4 are more intimidating than they are horrifying, and it makes dealing with them a lot more intense than i ever thought that fighting zombies were in the previous games.

although fuck the Regenerator. fuck that thing.

Thats the only part of the game I got legitimately scared, what made it worse is that the first few require serious dumping of ammo.

I once beat one with a knife!

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By supamon

Not so much scary as tense, creepy and full of "oh shit!" moments. Either way it's a great game, I'm sure we can all agree on that (except Jeff).

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tension is key in the RE series n this game is full of it.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By notdavid

Guys. Tense=scary. Jump scares ain't shit. Fear is all about cultivating atmosphere, and RE4 delivers.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Revan_NL

Unnerving, yes, but not scary. Which is good, since I'm not that much of a horror fan anyway. Like Ryan said in the Bombcast, it's more the feeling that you really shouldn't be there.

Hilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Hilbert

If you walk around in this game without looking at the surroundings, soaking up the atmosphere of the beautiful dense autumn forest, misty lake or Gothic romantic castle you're missing the whole point of Resident evil 4. (and probably most Japanese games)

No Caption Provided

Because then you would just see a stupid linear pathway that is empty and devoid of any interesting action.

nimbil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#80  Edited By nimbil

Nope, it's an action game. It creates a good sense of tension, of which it was one the first games to evoke this. RE6 does a good job of this too in certain points of the game.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#81  Edited By impartialgecko

RE4 is tense and has some good atmosphere to it. Games aren't scary to me, they can shock or disturb but it's still the rollercoaster feeling of having your gut react to things you're seeing while you know you're perfectly safe.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Yadilie said:

What is with this recent surge in slating RE4?

It's a stone cold classic. What came after may not be, and the fact that it's called Resident Evil may irk some, but it's a damn fine game.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By BoOzak

@Grillbar said:

i dont but then again none of the re games was scary

I remember being really freaked out by the earlier games, then again I was like 7.

As for RE4 I remember finding it unsettling in the early parts of the game, there were bits later on with the stealth bugs and regenerator that were quite tense but nothing compared to the first time Salvador chased you down in the village. I think If you played 5 or 6 prior to 4 you wont find it scary at all. You'll be too used to the mechanics that you'll just destroy everything in your path. I think the thing people forget about 4 is it controlled quite differently than games did back then so you werent able to just brute force your way through every encounter, you had to back off to give yourself time to breathe.

So in conclusion. At the time, yes. Now, no. It's like old horror movies such as Psycho, which I found more of a comedy because things had escalated so much since that repetitive screeching music and jump scares werent effective anymore.You have to try new things to be scary, which is why I dont understand people who want Resident Evil to go back to fixed camera angles and tank controls. It's not scary anymore!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By NTM

On professional it can get pretty tense at times, but that's about it.

Wesker411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Wesker411

Tense is definitely the word. Plus I love the feel of utter isolation the game creates at certain points. And don't forget the awesomely cheesy lines!

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By frankfartmouth

I never thought it was scary like Resident Evil 2 and 3 were to me, but I think it's a better game than those two.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.