Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 2

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jan 25, 2019

A remake of the 1998 survival horror classic, Resident Evil 2.

Anyone else here going to go through the original game before the remake?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Anyone else here going to go through the original game before the remake? (89 votes)

Yep! I've beaten it in the past, but still want to do it before the remake closer to its release. 12%
    Yep! I've never gone through it, so this is as good a time as any. 7%
    No. I have it in my memory well enough from the past and there are other games to play. 27%
    No. I hardly remember the original despite going through it in the past, but I still don't feel like going back. I'll be playing the remake though for sure. 12%
    Psh... Yes, I will be playing the original before the remake, but it won't be because of the remake since I don't plan on playing the remake. 1%
    I don't plan on playing the original, nor the remake. 12%
    Actually, I just went through the original RE2 recently! It was my first time. 2%
    Actually, I just went through the original RE2 recently. I've played it before though. 4%
    Something else not listed. 19%

My brother is a much bigger fan of the original style of RE games and I played more of the new ones, including RE7 (which he still has yet to finish!) The thing that always drove me away from them was merely the limited save system with ink ribbon use. I never liked that aspect. I've played several hours of each, but when it comes to old style RE, I only ever finished RE3 on the Dreamcast. The tank controls are an issue, but not as big of one to me as the ink ribbons. We pretty much have all RE's on every system, but I never went through RE2 all the way through myself, so I plugged in the N64 and am now going through that version (albeit, by cheating with infinite ammo! Mwahaha, yes. Yes...)

I'm in the police station, just after you use the keycard on the computer. I'm liking it a lot, and weirdly enough, even though I knew what happens and had seen it many, many times, I jumped when zombies came through the window at the gun shop. Although the game doesn't support surround sound, my sound system somehow makes it sound like it does which is nice. Yeah, I'm having fun with the original and wanted to get through it so I can compare it to the remake when I get it. I hate going into games like a sequel or remake and not knowing what came before. Who else is going to play the original before the remake?

• 
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Resident Evil 2 holds up. It's probably the easiest of the fixed camera-style Resident Evil games, but still has loads of tension and benefits from a memorable setting, fun character dynamics with Leon/Ada, and a super clever Scenario system.

Speaking of which, who are you playing as in Scenario A, @ntm? You do know you need to play both Scenarios to get the "full" experience, right?

TheRealSeaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather play it after I play the remake than play it before and potentially take a lot away from the remake.

Digaumgrunge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've been watching some RE2 streams.

I've played it back then and I remember really liking it.... maybe I'll play the remake.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

*Jeff Voice* I was holding a copy of Resident Evil 2 just this last weekend.

I tried a speed run on Claire A to see if I remembered how to do it, and got most of the way through the Police Station before I got killed, so I still have some of that knowledge, at least.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inevpatoria: Yeah, I know. I don't know every single moment (telling by me actually getting startled when things crash through windows, which I am surprised by [perhaps due to the volume I have it at]), but I know the big moments and the story of each game pretty well. I'm choosing Leon on my first playthrough. From what I understand, that's generally what others do as well? That's not why I did it, it's just what I typically have always done when I start RE2. My brother, as I said being a much bigger fan of the games is watching me go through it now. And yes, although I feel like I answered the question, to clarify if not, I know I have to also finish Claire's as well to get the full experience. I know of the differences between scenario A and B, at least I think I do. I know Tyrant shows up in B. I'm already farther than I've ever been, which is to say that I have never been that far into this game at all.

While the setting is and will be memorable, the setting is somewhat labyrinthian, perhaps due to the camera, so I am not always sure exactly how to get back to where I want to go best. It takes a little bit of thinking. I am not using the map a whole lot right now. Also... I am conflicted right now because I am unsure if there's a story reason, but I am curious as to why the police department is filled with puzzles (is it because Umbrella just loves having puzzles in the locations they own) and is the chief a weirdo considering he loves weird statues and pictures, like the picture you have to burn with your lighter that has a woman hanging nude? I want to think there's some story reason behind it rather than just the developers wanting to give some challenge.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's great and you should definitely play it if you haven't.

I played it like a decade ago and when i saw the gameplay videos, I immediately noticed some cool changes in the level layout

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@ntm said:

@inevpatoria: Yeah, I know. I don't know every single moment (telling by me actually getting startled when things crash through windows, which I am surprised by [perhaps due to the volume I have it at]), but I know the big moments and the story of each game pretty well. I'm choosing Leon on my first playthrough. From what I understand, that's generally what others do as well? That's not why I did it, it's just what I typically have always done when I start RE2. My brother, as I said being a much bigger fan of the games is watching me go through it now. And yes, although I feel like I answered the question, to clarify if not, I know I have to also finish Claire's as well to get the full experience. I know of the differences between scenario A and B, at least I think I do. I know Tyrant shows up in B. I'm already farther than I've ever been, which is to say that I have never been that far into this game at all.

While the setting is and will be memorable, the setting is somewhat labyrinthian, perhaps due to the camera, so I am not always sure exactly how to get back to where I want to go best. It takes a little bit of thinking. I am not using the map a whole lot right now. Also... I am conflicted right now because I am unsure if there's a story reason, but I am curious as to why the police department is filled with puzzles (is it because Umbrella just loves having puzzles in the locations they own) and is the chief a weirdo considering he loves weird statues and pictures, like the picture you have to burn with your lighter that has a woman hanging nude? I want to think there's some story reason behind it rather than just the developers wanting to give some challenge.

It doesn't really matter, but the "canonical" progression is Claire A/Leon B.

And to further reiterate that it doesn't matter, I think its been reported that the RE2 remake is getting away from the Scenario system, but I don't know the specifics of the new alternative.

As far as your other questions: Resident Evil 3 begins to imply that the Raccoon City municipal government is at least in part tied to Umbrella's nonsense. So I guess the hand-wavy answer is that much of the city is deliberately built around being obscure to keep the BOW research hidden. Also, it's no spoiler to say outright that the RPD Chief is a creep-ass. He gets more screentime in Claire's story.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually just tried the N64 version a few days ago in anticipation and BOY does that era of games not hold up well. I think I'll just stick to the post-tank controls entries.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inevpatoria: Hmm. Reading about it, I guess so if you take into consideration RE6 since Sherry is infected in Claire A, but not B. I had no idea though. I just killed the big alligator, so I'm almost done with Leon's story? Interesting to know the difference between scenarios, and that's cool; I am interested in what's considered canon. However, in playing this game all I really wanted to accomplish is to see the setting and the placement of things so when I play the new one, I can compare/contrast. I beat three, but that was probably over ten years ago now and I don't remember a lot of the little story details, like journals you pick up and what have you. I just recently picked up a couple of journals talking about the Chief. My brother said you'll see him in scenario B.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played through RE1, 2, or 3 (unless I'm counting the REmake, which I love to death.) I was planning on playing all three in October along with a bunch of other spooky games, so the timing of this works out nicely.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just wanna say to people who think tank controls are bad- you suck :/

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished Leon A. That was cool. It took 5.5 hours. I'll beat Claire's tomorrow maybe. Yeah, it'd probably make more sense of I beat Claire's first.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I recently re-played it. RE1 is still my favourite of the series. RE2 did improve some things like making the playable character animation faster, better graphics. But it lacked mystery and the city and cop shop ddn't have the same charm of the mansion. I mean in the first one the mansion is a character in itself.

Leon's story was hokey as (story spoilers ahead folks but come on its 20yrs old). You meet some stranger (Ada), you barely know her or spend any time with her. She always acts like a dick to you, and then eventually there's some scene where some guy says she's betraying Leon, and Leon says "I know her, she wouldn't do that" (boo hoo), then when she dies you act so so sad (< yeah I know that's an "if she dies"). It's pretty weak.

But I'm still a bit salty on the voice actor change from the RE2 demo to the end product for the gun shop owner which I think made it worse so what do I know. But I'll probably play it at some stage.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM

@rebel_scum: True about Leon's story, but I feel like that was more of a product of the time and was maybe more effective back then to some than it is now. Having just finished it, it didn't make a lot of sense as they don't really give much time for their relationship to be fleshed out. Plus, Ada just seemed solely focused on getting the G Virus other than the times where she was in need of Leon's help, which I guess kind of transitions into later games to a degree in terms of her focus on getting viruses with the want of minimal help unless absolutely necessary. I like that they more or less kept her tone of voice throughout each iteration after RE2.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@ntm said:

@rebel_scum: True about Leon's story, but I feel like that was more of a product of the time and was maybe more effective back then to some than it is now.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but the story was weak back then too. Especially when compared to the original and other PS1 titles that had great stories. But you hit the nail on the head about how the relationship didn't have time to be fleshed out.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebel_scum: Hmm. Not sure; I didn't finish it back then, but I remember story points for sure. I was just saying, to some (or maybe many fans of the game) it was effective at the time, but probably couldn't hold up to even fans now. I don't know. I'm interested to see how they're going to try and make it work in the new one. It seems like something they'd have to do, but maybe not.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#17  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

The trailer finally got me to go through Leon A after trying to play the game like a year ago and dying without saving in the first hour. Still need to do Claire B, and kinda wish I'd done the other order (Claire A/Leon B) since I heard that one's apparently the actual canon.

Leon's story was hokey as (story spoilers ahead folks but come on its 20yrs old). You meet some stranger (Ada), you barely know her or spend any time with her. She always acts like a dick to you, and then eventually there's some scene where some guy says she's betraying Leon, and Leon says "I know her, she wouldn't do that" (boo hoo), then when she dies you act so so sad (< yeah I know that's an "if she dies"). It's pretty weak.

Story is definitely not Kamiya's strong point.

breq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, played it enough as a kid to be good until the remake. I think I still have a RE2 copy for the Game.com handheld somewhere in a box.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TechnoSyndrome: Yeah, I am actually kind of disappointed I didn't do Claire first. To be honest, I thought Leon A and Claire B was considered canon. I haven't read into it though until I finished it last night. Leon A and Claire B seem like the one most people finish first only do experiment with it later. Also, there are some points that can point to either being canon, but by now Claire A and Leon B are widely regarded as canon. It's also interesting to note the fact the novel City of the Dead goes the Leon A, Claire B route. That said, that probably doesn't matter. What did seem super weird to me when I finished the game last night with Leon A is that Sherry at the end acted like they knew each other, and yet they never met once.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like fixed camera angles and tank controls. Also, I played through all four scenarios to get the true ending.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

@max_cherry: Although I change the tank controls without hesitation, they're tolerable. I am fine with the fixed camera too. Lastly, I think the ink ribbons are most likely in abundance enough so that it doesn't become an issue, but it's the one thing that has always turned me off personally. Plus, I'm not a big enough fan of the originals to try and go through them without saving. Anyways, what did you choose in the poll? Plan on playing it again? I don't think one needs to debate whether tank controls and camera angles are good or bad unless you're saying that because the remake isn't having it, you're less excited, in which case I understand.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I'm restarting the game on Claire A, then I'll go back to Leon and do B.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

ePSXe'd my way through Leon A and most of Claire B last week. I think that'll do for refreshers.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
    deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not on here, never played RE2, didn't get into RE until 4(and subsequently skipped 5 and 6 because even I knew it wasn't really RE).

I don't see the point in playing the original now(for anyone), I might as well just wait for the remake

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.