Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Random Loot

Concept »

Random Loot is a popular concept for dungeon crawler and MMO style games. In essence, monsters or objects drop something that is considered valuable to the player with random qualities.

Should crafting be removed from RPG games with loot?

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By benspyda

After playing a LOT of Skyrim and a fair chunk of Reckoning I'm finding a similar issue. The loot you find is never as good as what you can enchant or craft, however I did enjoy making and enchanting some awesome gear in Skyrim and seeing how far I could abuse it (you can boost your damage output to crazy amounts).

Would these games have been better to just not have crafting options so loot becomes more fun or do you think they benefited from these systems?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nintendoeats

I hate dealing with crafting and alchemy, but literally last night I was thinking about how glad I am that those things are there. The thing is, if they aren't powerful then they'll never get used.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ZenaxPure

Not really, it offers different play-styles for people. For example in my Skyrim experience I never once went and crafted something, instead simply using what I found in treasure chests and stuff. I much prefer the option be there though. What people find "fun" with their loot gathering experience always varies so having the choice to do what you want is nice.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Dagbiker

No. In skyrim early game random crap is way more powerfull then stuff you craft your self.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By benspyda

Overall I did enjoy Skyrim more because I could craft cool stuff, it was fun seeing what I could make. I think they could probably balance it a bit better though.

Also I found low level enchanting kind of pointless as you got like 1% bonuses to things. So I ended grinding it so I could get 50% bonuses.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SuperWristBands

I'd like it if the loot dropping was better. I spent around 5 hours with each piece of equipment in Reckoning before finding something new (been playing 20 hours) and have yet to find a complete set of armour.

I guess what I'd like is more unique (like gold items in Diablo 2, pre-made stuff) loot and less random loot.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By shaunk

I only craft to make hide bracers to grind my smithing skill for experience.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By laserbolts

Im not sure I mean if the games that had it made it much more difficult to get materials then maybe it would be more interesting. Like wow for instance in order to get some of the really good gear from crafting you had to either buy some extremely expensive materials from auction or raid in order to get them. Or thats how it used to be. I dont think that you should be able to get amazing gear for crafting something that takes barely any effort. Like in Skyrim you could get dragon armor super easy and it really took very little time to do it. I mean I dropped more dragon bones than I ever sold or used.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.