Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Psychonauts

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 19, 2005

Developed by Double Fine Productions, Psychonauts is a platforming action-adventure game in which players take on the role of Razputin, a young psychic out to thwart an evil plot to subvert the minds of other powerful psychics.

How does it hold up?

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By whackmypinata

I've been researching this game recently, because it seems very underrated. The cover art is great, also. Reminiscent in my mind of the Jet Set series (which I also haven't gotten to..), I really want to give this game a chance. The only thing I haven't found is if this game holds up well. Can anyone let me know?
    Thanks

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By MasturbatingBear

what do you mean?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By BiggerBomb

I think he means how does XBLM version of Psychonauts stand up today. I could be wrong, though.

AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By AkumaX

It holds up pretty well by today's standards. In sort of Monkey Island esque way, it's the humour, creativity and style that are really the crux of the game, and even if the graphics look slightly dated by today's standards and the platforming is a tad imprecise it's well worth playing through.

I'd recommend against getting it for PS2, the load times are insane (still played through to the end, they didn't hamper my enjoyment too much). Get either the PC one (free from GameTap!) or the one on XBLM, I've played them both and in my experience they load about 5-8 times faster than the PS2.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By kush

The games holds up very well...it will always hold up well. There is no reason why you shouldn't play this game; no reason at all.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By whackmypinata

Sorry for being unclear.
    What I meant was, how does the game stand against the other games on the market today?
    Games were meant in the generation in which they were released. For me at least, it's hard to take a NES game I've never played and find it to be enjoyable. This is because I've played games with much more advanced mechanics. I know at least GameSpot reviews Virtual Console games like Ocarina of Time on their Virtual Console release, just to see how the game "holds up" to the standards of todays gaming.
    AkumaX said:

"It holds up pretty well by today's standards. In sort of Monkey Island esque way, it's the humour, creativity and style that are really the crux of the game, and even if the graphics look slightly dated by today's standards and the platforming is a tad imprecise it's well worth playing through.

I'd recommend against getting it for PS2, the load times are insane (still played through to the end, they didn't hamper my enjoyment too much). Get either the PC one (free from GameTap!) or the one on XBLM, I've played them both and in my experience they load about 5-8 times faster than the PS2."
    Thanks. I think I'm gonna get it for the Xbox since it's backwards compatible.
    Kush said:
    "The games holds up very well...it will always hold up well. There is no reason why you shouldn't play this game; no reason at all."
    Hah, alright. I've also realized that this game got very good critic success, however didn't sell very well. I would hate for that to happen to me, so I feel obligated to buy a Psychonauts poster in support. Also, it looks really cool :P
    AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AkumaX

It is; very, very cool indeed.

Some of the best level design I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shotaro

This game is on XBLM?

must purchase.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Shotaro said:
    "This game is on XBLM?

must purchase."

Xbox Originals section.
    AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AkumaX
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Shotaro said:
    "This game is on XBLM?

must purchase."

Xbox Originals section."
    I downloaded it the day it arrived on there.

Didn't start playing it until two days later, huuuuuge download.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kush
    Shotaro said:
    "This game is on XBLM?

must purchase."
    I would recommend just buying a used copy of the game. You could probably find a copy for $10
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb
    AkumaX said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Shotaro said:
    "This game is on XBLM?

must purchase."

Xbox Originals section."

Didn't start playing it until two days later, huuuuuge download."

I DL'd Fable because I forgot how much I hated it, it downloaded relatively quickly but was a huge waste of money. Then I payed for Ninja Gaiden Black but the download never went through, every time I tried it it would end at 7%. Two games, $30.00 wasted. :(

Welcome to GB, by the way.
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By whackmypinata
    AkumaX said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Shotaro said:
    "This game is on XBLM?

must purchase."

Xbox Originals section."

Didn't start playing it until two days later, huuuuuge download."
    I don't know what it is, I just can't buy something on the Marketplace knowing I could have a physical copy in my hands. I guess it's when I don't use the Xbox anymore, I'd still like to have a reminder that said item still exists.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187
    whackmypinata said:
    "I've been researching this game recently, because it seems very underrated. The cover art is great, also. Reminiscent in my mind of the Jet Set series (which I also haven't gotten to..), I really want to give this game a chance. The only thing I haven't found is if this game holds up well. Can anyone let me know?
    Thanks"
    Play this.  That's it.  Just play it.  One of the funniest, most original, satisfying, rewarding, and all-around most bad ass games ever created.
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By whackmypinata
    jakob187 said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    "I've been researching this game recently, because it seems very underrated. The cover art is great, also. Reminiscent in my mind of the Jet Set series (which I also haven't gotten to..), I really want to give this game a chance. The only thing I haven't found is if this game holds up well. Can anyone let me know?
    Thanks"
    Play this.  That's it.  Just play it.  One of the funniest, most original, satisfying, rewarding, and all-around most bad ass games ever created."
    Many reviews are saying that the second half isnt nearly as fun as the first. Is this true?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jakob187
    whackmypinata said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    Thanks"
    Play this.  That's it.  Just play it.  One of the funniest, most original, satisfying, rewarding, and all-around most bad ass games ever created."
    Many reviews are saying that the second half isnt nearly as fun as the first. Is this true?"
    Fuck all those guys.  Play it.
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By whackmypinata
    jakob187 said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    Thanks"
    Many reviews are saying that the second half isnt nearly as fun as the first. Is this true?"
    Fuck all those guys.  Play it."
    I respect that. I guess I was having second thoughts and basing them solely on critics thoughts.. but I have good reason!

...GameStop doesn't open till 11 AM.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jakob187
    whackmypinata said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    Thanks"
    I respect that. I guess I was having second thoughts and basing them solely on critics thoughts.. but I have good reason!

...GameStop doesn't open till 11 AM."
    So?  You don't have a Blockbuster selling off old PS2 games?  There isn't a Wal-Mart with a bargain bin?  You can't just break into GameStop and leave a nice note?
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By fr0br0
    whackmypinata said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    Thanks"
    Well the game can't match the funniness of the Milkman level (which is about half way through the game), but that is because that is the funniest moment in any game.
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By whackmypinata
    jakob187 said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    Thanks"

...GameStop doesn't open till 11 AM."
    So?  You don't have a Blockbuster selling off old PS2 games?  There isn't a Wal-Mart with a bargain bin?  You can't just break into GameStop and leave a nice note?"
    There are no Blockbusters near me. Wal-Mart only has a cocaine-corner. And I don't want to break into GameStop because I wouldn't want my store account to be infracted on the basis that I have an EDGE card and tons of store credit. Plus, I like licking the bottom of their shoes, why ruin it?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187
    whackmypinata said:
    "There are no Blockbusters near me. Wal-Mart only has a cocaine-corner. And I don't want to break into GameStop because I wouldn't want my store account to be infracted on the basis that I have an EDGE card and tons of store credit. Plus, I like licking the bottom of their shoes, why ruin it?"
    Sir, Psychonauts is worth the punishment.  WELL worth it.
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By whackmypinata
    jakob187 said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    "There are no Blockbusters near me. Wal-Mart only has a cocaine-corner. And I don't want to break into GameStop because I wouldn't want my store account to be infracted on the basis that I have an EDGE card and tons of store credit. Plus, I like licking the bottom of their shoes, why ruin it?"
    Sir, Psychonauts is worth the punishment.  WELL worth it."
    Seriously though, I wonder if anyone here has heard of it before it became an Xbox Original. If so, I wonder if they gave it a shot or at least looked it up..
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakob187

I bought two copies day of release on PS2.  One remains in its packaging.

What?  I'm a collector of fine games!
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By whackmypinata
    jakob187 said:
    "I bought two copies day of release on PS2.  One remains in its packaging.
    What?  I'm a collector of fine games!
    "
    If you want to buy another one they're still available for $50 on doublefine.
    roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By roushimsx

The game starts off pretty slow. Oh, the first level is interesting, but it nosedives from there and doesn't pick back up until about halfway through. Until that point, you're basically going through tutorial levels that focus on style over substance at every step of the way. Once you hit Lungfishopolis, the game makes an immediate 180 and skyrockets back into the awsomesauce, where it mostly remains until the final level, "Meat Circus".

Meat Circus has some serious issues with the camera and checkpoint placements; Tim Schafer's statement on it was something to the effect of them not having the time to properly polish off the level. The guy may be able to write and he might have a lot of neat ideas, but he sure as hell can't turn a game in on time and on budget, not like it matters since Majesco was on the ropes anyway.

Give the game a whirl and force yourself through the early dullness. You won't get an experience quite on par with, say Sly 2 or Rayman 2, but the high points (Milkman Conspiracy!) totally elevate its overall quality. Xbox version is totally the best, the PS2 version suffers from framerate problems here and there, and the PC version...well, it's just dandy if you get used to the control.

AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AkumaX
    whackmypinata said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    Thanks"
    Second half is better in my opinion. Milkman, Napoleon and Lungfishopolis are all in the second half.

Oh, and I got it for PS2 in '06, about a year after its release. I read a review of it the year before and was always interested, but I found it for £15 and nabbed it instantly.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Vinchenzo

I haven't played it, but my friend says it's a great game. From what I remember, it was incredibly underrated.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It's only a few years old, the standards haven't improved that much in that amount of time, therefore, if it held up well by the standards when it came out, it should still hold up reasonably by today's standards.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By roushimsx
    Vinchenzo said:
    "I haven't played it, but my friend says it's a great game. From what I remember, it was incredibly underrated."
    It received critical acclaim and a majority of the people that played it loved it. "Underrated" is probably the wrong word to describe it.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiggerBomb
    roushimsx said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "I haven't played it, but my friend says it's a great game. From what I remember, it was incredibly underrated."
    It received critical acclaim and a majority of the people that played it loved it. "Underrated" is probably the wrong word to describe it."

I've always found it odd when a game comes out that everyone says is underrated. For instance Beyond Good & Evil. I have never played the game, but I have also never heard a person speak poorly of it. So it actually, is not underrated at all if everyone loves it.
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By whackmypinata
    BiggerBomb said:
    "roushimsx said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    It received critical acclaim and a majority of the people that played it loved it. "Underrated" is probably the wrong word to describe it."

I've always found it odd when a game comes out that everyone says is underrated. For instance Beyond Good & Evil. I have never played the game, but I have also never heard a person speak poorly of it. So it actually, is not underrated at all if everyone loves it."
    I think many people are referring that it hasn't gotten the attention it deserves, thus making it underrated.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jakob187
    whackmypinata said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "roushimsx said:
    "Vinchenzo said:

I've always found it odd when a game comes out that everyone says is underrated. For instance Beyond Good & Evil. I have never played the game, but I have also never heard a person speak poorly of it. So it actually, is not underrated at all if everyone loves it."
    I think many people are referring that it hasn't gotten the attention it deserves, thus making it underrated."
    Then they need to call it "neglected", not "underrated".
    Underrated is Freedom Fighters.
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By whackmypinata
    jakob187 said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "roushimsx said:
    "Vinchenzo said:

I think many people are referring that it hasn't gotten the attention it deserves, thus making it underrated."
    Then they need to call it "neglected", not "underrated".
    Underrated is Freedom Fighters.
    "
    Whatever you call it it's cool, as long as I'm playing an Indie game no one knows about!
    I got some bangin' music playing with Psychonauts here.
    Ever heard of Katy Perry?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jakob187
    whackmypinata said:
    "Whatever you call it it's cool, as long as I'm playing an Indie game no one knows about!
    Ever heard of Katy Perry?"
    Katy Perry is supposed to be "bangin' music"?  Isn't that the same person that sang that song about kissing a girl or some shit?
    I really don't know, given that I'm a metalhead...and this Katy Perry stuff is definitely not my idea of good music.  But whatever floats your boat...

How you enjoyin' the Psychonauts so far?
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By whackmypinata
    jakob187 said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    "Whatever you call it it's cool, as long as I'm playing an Indie game no one knows about!
    Katy Perry is supposed to be "bangin' music"?  Isn't that the same person that sang that song about kissing a girl or some shit?
    I really don't know, given that I'm a metalhead...and this Katy Perry stuff is definitely not my idea of good music.  But whatever floats your boat...

"
    Nah, that was a joke lol. I was contrasting that with irony of having an indie game no one knows about, and Katy Perry which is the most mainstream shit you can find.
    I haven't gotten into Psychonauts yet, because I have a ton of classwork to do. I'm pissed that the game case was cracked at the top, but hey, it adds to the neglected feel of the game!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jakob187
    whackmypinata said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "whackmypinata said:

"
    Nah, that was a joke lol. I was contrasting that with irony of having an indie game no one knows about, and Katy Perry which is the most mainstream shit you can find.
    I haven't gotten into Psychonauts yet, because I have a ton of classwork to do. I'm pissed that the game case was cracked at the top, but hey, it adds to the neglected feel of the game!"
    I'm glad you were joking.
    Don't ever do it again.  -_-
    Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By Yit

Play it. It's amazing.

It holds up fine.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By roushimsx
    whackmypinata said:
    Whatever you call it it's cool, as long as I'm playing an Indie game no one knows about!
    Psychonauts isn't an "indie" game; indie doesn't mean what I think you think it means. Having a quirky art style doesn't make a game "indie" any more than under performing makes it "underrated".

The way those words are getting thrown around here, you'd think that 50 Cent: Bulletproof is "overrated". Oh sure, it got slaughtered in reviews and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that said anything positive about it, but it somehow managed to sell over a million copies.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jakob187
    roushimsx said:
    "whackmypinata said:
    Psychonauts isn't an "indie" game; indie doesn't mean what I think you think it means. Having a quirky art style doesn't make a game "indie" any more than under performing makes it "underrated".

The way those words are getting thrown around here, you'd think that 50 Cent: Bulletproof is "overrated". Oh sure, it got slaughtered in reviews and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that said anything positive about it, but it somehow managed to sell over a million copies."
    -_-
    Psychonauts was created by Double Fine Studios, an INDEPENDENT gaming studio run by Tim Schaffer.

That's indie.

Underrated, as we've termed already, is not something that applies to this game.  Neglected, in fact, does.  Neglected games are those which were released to critical acclaim and fan acclaim, but for some reason, just never ended up selling any copies and therefore became something of a non-existence to anyone outside of a small community.  This typically also falls under the category of "cult" hits.

Underrated is a term that should be used and reserved for games such as Majora's Mask or Super Mario Bros. 2.  They sold copies.  They got some critical acclaim.  They just didn't pick up like they should've until later down the line.

As for 50 Cent: Bulletproof...that game was a piece of shit, and it sold a million copies due to exclusive tracks from 50 and other artists that were only available on the game disc.  Therefore, my bet and almost guarantee would be that it sold a million copies based solely on THAT...not the game...because if you've played the game (like I have...and even reviewed it upon its release with a 1.5 out of 10...which was lower than FIGHT CLUB when I reviewed that game)...then you should know that even speaking the game's name is blasphemous and God will send the Horsemen after you.

Hope you weren't planning on the Apocalypse wrecking your bedtime.  =  /
    roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By roushimsx
    jakob187 said:
    Psychonauts was created by Double Fine Studios, an INDEPENDENT gaming studio run by Tim Schaffer.
    That's indie."
    Keeping your criteria in mind, as long as you accept all of the following games as "indie" titles, then I'll agree with your point of view:

For me, truly "indie" games are ones are games that are independently developed and published, or at the very least begin their lives on an open platform by a small team before hitting it big at IGF and rolling out with a decent publishing deal (either through a physical publisher or through a digital distribution provider like XBLA, PSN, or Wiiware). But if your only critera is that the dev studio can't be owned by the publisher, then that's all cool as long as you accept the above listed games as "indie".

...and 50 Cent wasn't quite THAT bad (though people don't misread that to mean that I think that the game was good). It had a hell of a lot of problems, but I hope to god you never have to play Bad Boys: Miami Takedown, Charlie's Angels, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, or Drake of the 99 Dragons for any reason. If you have then, well, I'm sure you understand. Besides, it's hard to argue with an M-rated game that 50 Cent had hoped would educate children about the real hazards of gang life. M rated game. Children. AWESOME.

Not to tangent the shit out of this even further, but what's this I hear about Blood in the Sand actually being surprisingly decent so far?
    whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By whackmypinata
    jakob187 said:
    How you enjoyin' the Psychonauts so far?"
    It's alright, I have mixed feelings.
    The story is great. It's funny.
    The actual gameplay is alright, kind of repetetive. I'm up to the boss in the water now, so hopefully I haven't gotten into all the game has to offer. Kind of a slow start, IMO.
    Foil1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Foil1212

I got a retail copy of it then sold it used (I wish I didn't, but I learned my lesson and won't ever sell games for used ever again.)

Also, I bought it on the XBLA and finished it today.  It was awesome as ever, though I don't know if it was nostalgia or plain awesomeness.  Probably a bit of both.

OH, BUMP LOL!

P.S. HOW YOU LIKE IT 2 MONTHS AND ONE WEEK LATER, WHACKMYPINATA?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By LiquidPrince

Wait what? You've been recommending a game you've never played and comparing it to another game you've never played?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By Meowayne

I would like to hear an opinion of someone who hasn't played it when it came out. Because thats the core of the  question: Does it hold up?
    Because, for example, Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy VII do not. Very many people who have not played them in their days simply cannot find them enjoyable anymore, and not just because of the graphics. I regard the PSX Final Fantasies among the greatest experiences I ever had in gaming and I still play them regularly, but I very reluctantly recommend them to today's gamers, because I know they will most probably not be able to enjoy it.

Chrono Trigger, on the other hands, holds up extremely well. I have not played it then and just a couple of weeks ago started with CT DS. Great game. Shadow of the Colossus also doesn't seem to age.

So, how about Psychonauts? Im interested in the game, but "Yeah its a ggreat game, I bought it on day one!" doesn't mean much.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By Shadow

it's still funny....but seeing the date on this resurected post, you probably already made up your mind on it.  And if you haven't, stop being so indecisive.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By StaticFalconar

it holds up better than your cock on viagra.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By RHCPfan24

I played it over a year ago for the Xbox and loved it, though I didn't beat the game. I would give it a shot because the art design, humor and overall gameplay are just very entertaining and it is a highlight of the last-generation of games. So yeah, play it.

Foil1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Foil1212

That's good to hear.  So I can recommend it to everyone now! :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.