Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal

Franchise »

The Portal franchise is a series of games that involve creating portals to teleport the player and objects through various puzzles. It also exists within the same universe as the Half-Life series.

Portal or Portal 2?

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kgb0515

I'm thinking about buying one of these two games right now, but I don't want to get both yet. Should I jump into the second one, or should I start with the first one for continuity purposes? I have been getting a little fed up with multiplayer on the PC for a while now, and I would like a single player diversion for a little break. So, what will it be duders? Portal or Portal 2?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I don't think you'll ever forgive yourself if you jump into Portal 2 and later in the future realize that you missed out on the experience that made people anticipate Portal 2 (and consequently love it). That experience is called Portal.

I strongly recommend you play Portal, get acquainted with the portal gun, LISTEN TO THE LEGENDARY MENU MUSIC, get introduced to GladOS properly, and know what the Cake is. Then you'll triple your Portal 2 enjoyment when you get around to playing it.

This was a triumph.
    I'm making a note here: Huge success.
    kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kgb0515

@AhmadMetallic: That's good advice. I think I'll just do the bundle after all. It's $24.95 on Steam right now, and I guess I don't have to pinch the pennies so much.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By living4theday258

@kgb0515 said:

@AhmadMetallic: That's good advice. I think I'll just do the bundle after all. It's $24.95 on Steam right now, and I guess I don't have to pinch the pennies so much.

the bundle is worth it.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nottle

@kgb0515 said:

Definitely play Portal first. On sale both are extremely cheap.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@kgb0515 said:

My second advice is: Kill yourself. Anyone who hasn't played Portal yet deserves to die :P

Get the bundle and enjoy those gems!

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jacdg

Didn't like Portal all that much, Portal 2 is utterly amazing. Play both.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

@JacDG said:

Didn't like Portal all that much

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm kidding, but why didn't you like the first one?

Anyway, playing them in order is the best way to play them. The first one is only about 2-4 hours long so it won't take you long, and then jump right into the sequel.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kgb0515

@AhmadMetallic said:

@kgb0515 said:

My second advice is: Kill yourself. Anyone who hasn't played Portal yet deserves to die :P

Get the bundle and enjoy those gems!

Well, I will play it, but I don't think I'll take that second part to heart. I just got my gaming PC together a month ago and didn't want to play the Orange Box on Xbox. I wanted to play it in all of its PC glory.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MiniPato

@JacDG said:

Didn't like Portal all that much, Portal 2 is utterly amazing. Play both.

Ha, I thought I was gonna kick the hornet's nest first, but yeah. I thought Portal 1 was okay, but I really enjoyed Portal 2. My personal GoTY of 2011. I honestly think you could go into Portal 2 without playing Portal 1 without missing out on much of anything. They don't call back to too many jokes of Portal 1 (which is why it's so great) and the plot of Portal 1 really isn't Metal Gear complicated that you need to dig into the mythos and continuity of it. Whether it is a crucial experience to undergo as a lead in to Portal 2 is debatable. As I said, I didn't think Portal 1 was the spectacular game experience everyone else did and went into Portal 2 with less than zero expectations and it came out of my favorite game of 2011.

Either way, I'd say get both. Portal 1 is free isn't it?

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kgb0515

@believer258 said:

@JacDG said:

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Anyway, playing them in order is the best way to play them. The first one is only about 2-4 hours long so it won't take you long, and then jump right into the sequel.

Hmm...didn't know it was that short. I guess that's why it only took 7 mins to download, and I don't even have a great connection!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba968afc02e5
    deactivated-5ba968afc02e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MiniPato said:

Not sure if it's free but can't be much at all these days.

I'd say invest in the first game if you want the complete experience of Portal 2 but it's not essential to have played the first. Portal 2 is better, the variations in setting and new mechanics make it even more joyous than Portal.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MiniPato

@dinkys said:

@MiniPato said:

Not sure if it's free but can't be much at all these days.

I'd say invest in the first game if you want the complete experience of Portal 2 but it's not essential to have played the first. Portal 2 is better, the variations in setting and new mechanics make it even more joyous than Portal.

Yeah, I'd figure it is dirt cheap. But I could swear that Valve does the free Portal 1 promotion pretty frequently. Or I'm just imagining things.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hunkulese

While it's hard to argue that Portal 2 isn't better in almost all aspects (besides the final song), nothing beats the experience of you first playthrough of portal, especially if you go in knowing nothing about it.

Portal 2 is also a direct sequel so the story and characters will have less of an impact if you skip the first game.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By laserbolts

While Portal 2 is better than the first one in every way, you should play them both in order.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jacdg
    @believer258 said:

@JacDG said:

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Maybe it was all the hype surrounding it, but while it was certainly a good game, and I had fun playing it, Portal just didn't feel all that special to me, the story and the humor never really got my attention in the same way Portal 2 did. Like @MiniPato: said,  I didn't think Portal 1 was the spectacular game experience everyone else did and went into Portal 2 with less than zero expectations and it came out of my favorite game of 2011.
    kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kgb0515

Well, I bought both and put about an hour and a half into Portal the 1st. Love this game so far! I have been playing mostly shooters lately, and aside from Half-Life 2, non of them really scratched that itch I've been developing. It's nice to play a thinking game for a change.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.