Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Franchise »

The Pokémon franchise has spawned numerous titles and spin-offs, spanning several generations of games and has an animated series that spans many seasons.

What the hell happened to Pokémon?

• 54 results
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Edited By Snail

I love this franchise.

I really do.

The first few Pokémon games (from Red/Blue to Ruby/Sapphire) really constitute most part of my childhood. Something like 70% of it I would say. Even today I don't think there is any other RPG, or any other game for that matter, that is quite like it. My favorite title has to be Pokémon Yellow. Why? Because it's Red/Blue (which everyone knows is the best generation) only slightly better.

That being said, even when I was completely under the hypnotizing spell of Ruby/Saphire, the last generation that I played, I felt that there were too many Pokémon.

Don't stop reading now, I know we've all heard this whining. That's not quite the point of this blog post.

When Game Freak gave us Gold/Silver it was pretty darn great because, hey, more Pokémon. When Ruby/Sapphire came out it was, hey, more Pokémon, again. When that other [gem stone]/[gem stone 2] generation, whose name I cannot remember, came out it was simply way too much Pokémon for me to care. So I didn't even get into it. But the recent release of Soul Silver and Heart Gold made me check some of the newest Pokémon there are.

And people: What. The. Fuck.

Seriously. There is a Pokémon called Abomasnow.

And I thought Bidoof was bad. What the fuck is this?!

Number 442. Wait... FOUR HUNDRED FORTY TWO?!

Honestly, one element I think fascinated us all was the creativity of the team that created Pokémon. Even the names were great. Who didn't think Squirtle, or Charizard looked awesome? And you know, I could actually understand the concept of a fire lizard and a water squirrel/turtle, but I cannot understand what this thing above is. I cannot figure it out.

What the heck is it?!

• Is it Jell-o mixed with Flubber on top of a rock?
    • Is it a blood sample taken from Frankenstein? It looks purple plasma with green cells in it.
    • Is it a really messed up flower arrangement?
    • Is it what happens to Nidorans♂ when they die?

Also:

• What is that purple thing?
    • Why is it having a seizure?
    • What is it standing on?
    • If it is a ghost type Pokémon, why does it need to stand on a something?
    • If it is a ghost, how can it stand on a something?!
    • Why does it look like it was taken from an Acid Trip?
    • Why does it have a blue brother?
    • Why does this color pattern still remind me of the two Nidorans?

The Pokémon team has obviously been deprived of all creativity they ever had. It seems as if they have been replaced by... I don't even know who or what can be so uncreative. Seriously, how many times are they going to use that color scheme. Do they expect us to have forgotten about the two Nidorans? It's been done before, make up something new.

Phew.

Ranting is exhaustive. So having said all that: I recently began playing Pokémon Yellow. On a Gameboy color. And it's really fun. I hadn't had this much fun with a videogame in a long time, this is also one of the most addictive videogames I've ever played. Additionally, the nostalgic feeling is amazing. The first 150 are the best Pokémon, with the best names, best design, and well, Lickitung.

So yeah. Play that game. Even if it's on an emulator. It's amazing.

XOXO,

SNAIL.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Snail

I love this franchise.

I really do.

The first few Pokémon games (from Red/Blue to Ruby/Sapphire) really constitute most part of my childhood. Something like 70% of it I would say. Even today I don't think there is any other RPG, or any other game for that matter, that is quite like it. My favorite title has to be Pokémon Yellow. Why? Because it's Red/Blue (which everyone knows is the best generation) only slightly better.

That being said, even when I was completely under the hypnotizing spell of Ruby/Saphire, the last generation that I played, I felt that there were too many Pokémon.

Don't stop reading now, I know we've all heard this bitching. That's not quite the point of this blog post.

When Game Freak gave us Gold/Silver it was pretty darn great because, hey, more Pokémon. When Ruby/Sapphire came out it was, hey, more Pokémon, again. When that other [gem stone]/[gem stone 2] generation, whose name I cannot remember, came out it was simply way too much Pokémon for me to care. So I didn't even get into it. But the recent release of Soul Silver and Heart Gold made me check some of the newest Pokémon there are.

And people: What. The. Fuck.

Seriously. There is a Pokémon called Abomasnow.

Honestly, one element I think fascinated us all was the creativity of the team that created Pokémon. Even the names were great. Who didn't think Squirtle, or Charizard looked awesome? And you know, I could actually understand the concept of a fire lizard and a water squirrel/turtle, but I cannot understand what this thing above is. I cannot figure it out.

What the heck is it?! 
    • Is it Jell-o mixed with Flubber on top of a rock?
    • Is it a blood sample taken from Frankenstein? It looks purple plasma with green cells in it.
    • Is it a really messed up flower arrangement?
    • Is it what happens to Nidorans♂ when they die?  

Also:
    • What is that purple thing?
    • Why is it having a seizure?
    • What is it standing on?
    • If it is a ghost type Pokémon, why does it need to stand on a something?
    • If it is a ghost, how can it stand on a something?!
    • Why does it look like it was taken from an Acid Trip?
    • Why does it have a blue brother?
    • Why does this color pattern still remind me of the two Nidorans?

The Pokémon team has obviously been deprived of all creativity they ever had. It seems as if they have been replaced by... I don't even know who or what can be so uncreative. Seriously, how many times are they going to use that color scheme. Do they expect us to have forgotten about the two Nidorans? It's been done before, make up something new.

Phew.

Ranting is exhaustive. So having said all that: I recently began playing Pokémon Yellow. On a Gameboy color. And it's really fun. I hadn't had this much fun with a videogame in a long time, this is also one of the most addictive videogames I've ever played. Additionally, the nostalgic feeling is amazing. The first 150 are the best Pokémon, with the best names, best design, and well, Lickitung.

So yeah. Play that game. Even if it's on an emulator. It's amazing.

XOXO,
    SNAIL.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Capum15

...doesn't bother me. 

>.>

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By rallier

I think that nostalgia has a lot to do with those (me included) not being all that fond about the design of the newer pokemons. The original pokemons looked quite silly too in retrospect.

My theory is that thing is called LCDmon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

Hey guys, first generation of Pokemon were designed hella nice, huh? Remember these guys?

Hello, slime ball with eyes and mouth
    Hello, slime ball with eyes and mouth

Check out what I evolve into - an even bigger slime!
    Check out what I evolve into - an even bigger slime!

Oh look, another slime thing
    Oh look, another slime thing

A couple of ovals sticking out of the ground. Easy enough for even me to draw!
     A couple of ovals sticking out of the ground. Easy enough for even me to draw!

...evolves into three of the same. But I guess they're angry now.
    ...evolves into three of the same. But I guess they're angry now.

Admittedly this guy was kinda cool looking
    Admittedly this guy was kinda cool looking

...oh, nice, we're sticking three of them together again.
    ...oh, nice, we're sticking three of them together again.

Sorry man. I feel for you but I think this is your nostalgia kicking in. Each generation has their own handful of duds with Pokemon so there's no use talking about how they used to be better. I can understand the fact that there's too many for you to keep up with now but no, first gen's designs were not substantially better. Besides, think you'll find that Ken Sugimori has been doing pretty much all of the designs of the monsters since the very beginning with the exception of a couple here and there in Generation 3 and 4. And a lot of his designs would have been thought up at the very beginning, just saved for later due to space limitations and time constraints.
    Phantom_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Phantom_Crash

I agree, R-B-Y were awesome. The first 150 or so Pokemon seemed to me, more Naturally designed. A Fire-Lizard and a Water squirting Turtle. Now....all sorts of crazy creature designs are out there in G-S R-S etc. Though we must remember that Pokemon is was made in Japan. Cute silly things are biger over there than say in the west. I have always wanted a Pokemon stlye game but with things like zombies and skeletons and dragons and ghosts to take the place of all the silly cute pokemon. It still could be silly but more of a darker silly. Not all of the Pokemon are silly looking, Im sure we can agree that Charizard and Blastoise, Gengar, Scyther are pretty cool looking Pokemon.

So Less Cute - More Awesome

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Kowbrainz: Where's electrode.

I also agree with your post for the most part, it's the main reason I stopped playing.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ineedaname said:
    " @Kowbrainz: Where's electrode.  I also agree with your post for the most part, it's the main reason I stopped playing. "
    It was already getting kinda long of a post, but you're right... that guy should've been on the top of my list. :P
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I have to admit, the original 150 had a charm that is hard to replicate in the later generations. But the core concept of pokemon, and the journey to becoming a pokemon master, is unchanged. And it's not like the other pokemon have ceased to exist, they are still there. My vaporeon and scyther and muk and electrode are still rockin' out :D

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Sweep said:
    " I have to admit, the original 150 had a charm that is hard to replicate in the later generations. But the core concept of pokemon, and the journey to becoming a pokemon master, is unchanged. And it's not like the other pokemon have ceased to exist, they are still there. My vaporeon and scyther and muk and electrode are still rockin' out :D "
    But now they are all useless as they have some kind of evolved form.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Fallen189

Nothing, it's still great.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By I_smell

Squirtle is a squirrel???

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Whisperkill: Not true, if you have a sweet-ass breeding program.
    JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14  Edited By JonathanMoore

Red/Blue is my second favorite game of all time, Gold/Silver was just as good. Ruby/Sapphire is where they kind of lost me a tiny bit, but don't get me wrong I've played every Pokemon game to date... in the main series I mean.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By c1337us

I was too old to be a Pokemon kid. For me Pokemon were kind of sucky from the onset.

ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShadowKing7

Maybe it's the fact that the series old motto "Gotta catch 'em all!" has kinda been shot to hell.  I remember feeling so accomplished when I was younger for being one of the few people in my neighborhood who got all 150 in the originals.  I remember being disappointed how Ruby/Sapphire had no way to connect with the older games so I had no way to keep these Pokemon who I've been attached to since I had Yellow (got Yellow before Red and Blue).  Plus, it seems like the designs of new Pokemon get crazier and crazier because the original designs covered most of the simpler bases, so now it's either replicate old designs or make it crazy weird.

I don't know, I probably shouldn't really say anything as I don't have a DS and thus haven't played the new generation.  All I know is I'm gonna be real fucking sad the day my Crystal game finally dies out and I lose my Mewtwo I've had and been attached to since my first Yellow game.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Snail
    @Kowbrainz: You might have a point there. This argument isn't anything new, in fact, it has been around for quite a while now. But I do not think you are right. Quite honestly, I grew up with Sapphire and Ruby in the same way I grew up with Red an Blue and most of the Pokémon in the most recent generations are way less than the ones in the previous generations. Also, I believe you misinterpreted me. I never meant to argue the ridiculousness of the Pokémon, my main focus was the lack of originality that was starting to show. As if Ken Sugimori had run out of ideas, so he repeats the same techniques over and over again. Heck, I provided a link to Lickitung and said it was one of the best things in R/B/Y. Certain species are meant to look ridiculous.

EDIT: This post was ridiculously huge, more than what it should be. I reduced it to a spoiler, so this blog is much easier to browse.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Snail:  only thing I can honestly agree with you on is the legendaries, since I know that adding metal plating and crap is not how you make monsters look cool. If I wanted that shit I'd still be into Digimon.

But otherwise no. Many of those examples you gave I'm fine with and I think a lot more people would be if they were released as Generation 1 pokemon. Spiritomb is a dud, sure, but you can't base everything of gen 4 on him alone.

The whole "lacking originality" thing is bullshit, though. You keep flip flopping on what you're actually looking for in pokemon - natural looks or originality. A lot of the original pokemon looked natural because they were pretty much just cartoon versions of their real life selves. Seel was a seal, Dewgong was a Dugong - neither had much done to them to differentiate themselves from their real life counterpart. Ludicolo, on the other hand,  is one of the most original designs I have seen. He doesn't need to stay true to what he's meant to represent - he's a freaking monster. They all are. Pocket. Monsters. Same goes with Loudred - someone actually had a concept for what a monster could be and what their unique traits were, then created it, instead of just looking through some wildlife magazine and copying an already existing animal. Don't see why you have to fault them for that.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By breadfan
    @Snail said: 
    Shut your filthy mouth! 

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By Red

Yeah, new pokemon suck for the most part, and I hope they just stop making new ones. But still, I felt that Gold/Silver Pokemon were fantastic. And thus, Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver is awesome.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JJOR64
    @Br3adfan:   I think I just had a seizure from that Bidoof gif.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#22  Edited By jacksukeru

Well the first and second generation of pokemon were designed in the ninethies, anime looked different back then. 

Most of my favorite pokemon come from the first 150, though I still hold fast that G/S/C was the best generation.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PureRok

You know, Persona is quite a bit like Pokemon. So much so, that when I acquire a new Persona I sometimes say "Look, a new Pokemon!" completely seriously and on complete accident.

Just replying to your sentence here:

Even today I don't think there is any other RPG, or any other game for that matter, that is quite like it.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EvilTwin

I completely agree.  The newer Pokemon seem so poorly designed compared to the original generation.  The thing I've noticed the most is so much unnecessary geometry all over them.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#25  Edited By EpicSteve

I just want my original 151.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Systech

Bidoof is amazing. Shut your mouth.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sgjackson

Some (hell, a lot) of the new dudes are uninspired, but really, Abomasnow isn't one of them.

He's a christmas tree yeti. Tell me that isn't AWESOME.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cornman89

Gold/Silver was mind-blowing. I remember totally losing my shit when I beat the game and realized I could go back to Kanto.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By DCFGS3

I agree, sometimes I think they're just running out of ideas. These days I think that some pokemon are over designed, with lots of tassely bits. I mean look at fucking evee. It's pretty much a small, fluffy dog. That's it. Ratatata is a fucking rat. It doesn't have streamers shooting out of its ase or pink polka dots. And somehow I think the older pokemon were more hardcore than todays ones, like you could tell ratatata meant business, he was going to tear your goddam balls off. Even the retarded pokemon were pretty hardcore, I mean magikarp still wins as best pokemon ever, and he evolved into one of the most powerful. Even fucking Jigglypuff was kind of morbid, as she sung you asleep so she could murder you.

On another note, I wonder what happened to some pokemon, like that tiger/dog pokemon, or the one which wore skulls on it's head and beat you with a bone. And does anybody remember that pokemon that was literally a fat black chick who sung?

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jinxman

I'll just say that I have nostalgia for the old games, and everyone does NOT know that r/b/y is the best generation.  Gold/Silver/Crystal is the best.  That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed both the 3rd and 4th generation games, and even if some of the new pokemon are lame, some of them are pretty cool too.  Lucario for instance.  Or Kyogre.  Or Rayquaza.  

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By raiz265

i totally agree.

MisterBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MisterBoss

Apparently there's going to be a fifth generation.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#33  Edited By jacksukeru
    @DCFGS3: Yup Magikarp is definetly pretty badass. 

If you don't really get what's going on in the video don't worry about it, you're better of that way. 

Also tiger/dog 
     Growlithe
     Growlithe

I'M WEARING MY MOTHER'S BONES!  
     Cubone
     Cubone

and, uum... 
    Jynx
    Jynx
    karatetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By karatetron

I'm kind of laughing my ass off at  Ludiculo's design. I didn't even know that guy was in the game! 

Fuck it, he's my new avatar.

GregariousGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GregariousGreg

Squirtle is made up of Squirt and Turtle, not squirrel.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Snail
    @sgjackson said:
    " Some (hell, a lot) of the new dudes are uninspired, but really, Abomasnow isn't one of them.  He's a christmas tree yeti. Tell me that isn't AWESOME. "
    Easy son, I'm complaining about his name.

@Kowbrainz: It's not bullshit. Pokémon are becoming less and less original. What you call "originality" I call "lack of originality" so this argument isn't going anywhere. But I really liked some of the posts on this blog, some users managed to put my thoughts into words in a more effecitve, and more simple way, than I did with my gigantic oversized post.

@MisterBoss: Yep, they just won't stop. I've seen the only two new Pokémon that have been announced from that generation, and I think they belong in a Yu-Gi-Oh! card, not in a Pokédex. The two Pokémon are below:

Yeah, they look terrible.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The games are still pretty awesome if you can get over the dumb Pokemon. The first 150 pokemon were briliant, and they've been gradually been getting worse since then. But the gameplay is still solid, and I can get over the stupidity of the Pokemon.

NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NukeSpoon

Peaked at Gold/Silver in my opinion. After that, for me, it's just too much :/

In my opinion, 250 was about the maximum number of Pokemon you could have a really in-depth knowledge of mechanics and how each Pokemon worked. With the advent of the 3rd generation, there was just so much shit that made you go "what the fuck?", that you just can't be bothered to engage with it.

That said, G/S was the last generation I really got into.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By Afroman269

Anyone want to give me a Latios for my bidoof?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Afroman269
    @RockmanBionics: Oh man lvl 100 using flail with one 1 hp. The fact that it's a magikarp makes it hilarious.
    ChasingTheSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ChasingTheSun

Pokemon isn't changing, your just growing up and realizing that the names are ridiculous.

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By Sanryd

Money. More Pokemans == more money. If they don't make more to fill up Amethyst, or Malachite, or Quartz, or whatever the hell the next game's going to be called, people will lose interest. Or maybe they won't but the creators of Pokemon seem to think it works that way. I loved the old games as well and I even picked up Soul Silver because, for me, another set of unimaginative Pokemon doesn't change the fact that the games are addicting to play. It gets annoying, I completely agree, but I just can't stop. I mean, ya gotta catch 'em all... right?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#43  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Yep. The games are still good, but the designs are kind of garbage at this point. The last time Pokemon designs generally looked "awesome" were G/S/C, and then there are a few good ones in R/S/E ( An evil shark head? Hellz yeah!) . But really, I wouldn't cry too much if any of the 4th gen pokemon kicked the bucket. Especially abominations like Probopass...  I always use Alakazam and Gyarados anyways.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ZenaxPure

Kowbrainz knows whats up. Seriously, smartest post in this entire thread.

That said, I think this generation has some awesome designs. Luxray for example is probably one of my favorite looking Pokemon in a long time. His whole line is great. Shinx is so god damn cute. 

No Caption Provided
    How do you not just wanna give that thing a hug. 
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By shirogane
    @PureRok said:
    "You know, Persona is quite a bit like Pokemon. So much so, that when I acquire a new Persona I sometimes say "Look, a new Pokemon!" completely seriously and on complete accident.

Just replying to your sentence here:

Even today I don't think there is any other RPG, or any other game for that matter, that is quite like it.

"

Your Persona just learnt a new move, but it can't remember anymore, choose a move to forget! 

Come on, tell me that didn't remind you of pokemon? The wording is even really close. 

Oh, and don't talk crap about Grimer, he's awesome.

Riyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Riyoshi

U mad?

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#47  Edited By Valkyr

Why do they think that adding more is mandatory? Couldn't they just update the graphics and perhaps the gameplay mechanics or even change the continent that the "story" is taking place? Stop inventing stupid looking pokemon!!, you are killing my childhood!!!

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Snail
    @Riyoshi said:
    " U mad? "
    no u
    cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cloneslayer

I wish I could build my own Pokedex. Like they make you choose at least 150, but you could fill that however you wanted and play with just those. That would be fucking prime.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#50  Edited By AgentJ

Sure there are plenty of duds among the newer creatures (notably since the start of generation 3, ruby/sapphire, especially with the legendaries) there are also lots of really great creatures. creatures in the Gardevoir and Luxray family, Tropius, Mawile, and many others are additions are some I'm very grateful. I actually made a thread about the 151 best creatures in the series, which I wish they would make a game featuring exclusively. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.