Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

What is the MOST you'd pay for PS VR...not want...the most?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Edited By monkeyking1969

Poll What is the MOST you'd pay for PS VR...not want...the most? (282 votes)

$599 3%
    $550 1%
    $500 12%
    $475 0%
    $450 10%
    $425 3%
    $399 24%
    $350 23%
    I like clicking things! 20%
    Oh, I'd actually pay above $600...don't hate me. 4%

We all know PlayStation VR will come at some point, it could be this year or it could be next? ("When" is a whole other question.) But now that Oculus has set its flag at $600 for its basic setup. So what is the MOST you would pay, we all know we all want to pay as little as possible, but what is the very most you would pay?

In you answer say the most, but feel free to tell us what you want to pay and/or you expect to pay. Again the poll above is not what you think or hope it will be it is the MOST you would pay.

• 
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As much as I paid for the PS4 back in November 2013. Sony's not going to bullshit us like Oculus/FB did with the OR pricing. I can see as low as $300 becoming the end price for the headset only package depending on market reaction to their financial report on the 29th, Sony are ready willing and also able to eat the price.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Are we talking about the whole package or just the HMD?

I can see them releasing multiple bundles.

Just the HMD : $399
    HMD + Camera: $439
    HMD + Camera + 2 Move controllers: $499

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By sarahsdad

Thank you for including the "I like clicking" option, because I know the 200 I'd be willing to pay if it came out tomorrow isn't realistic. Maybe in a year or two, and if I've been able to try one, that would go up, but so far the hype isn't enough for me.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I payed 350 for my ps4. Won't pay more than that for psvr, which means I (probably) won't be getting it when it's released.

Yaaaaaaaaargh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The poll doesn't go low enough for me. $300 at most.

If that's not possible for the first wave that's not my problem, I just won't buy it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By monkeyking1969

While, I'd like to pay less I would pay $550 without whining about it. Its not the most I could afford; but I just wouldn't buy it, at this time, if it is above $550.

After listing to a few podcast (PS I love you XoXo, PlayerOne, etc) answering PS fans questions, I am a little shocked at what some people are expecting the PS VR price to be $250 to $300. That is just an insanely low price, given that Sony said "cost of a console" which is still $400 to $500 range last time I looked. Given Oculus is the first to really have to drop the flag on what it is costing them and what they need to break-even, I think $500 is a firm possibility.

Sony isn't talking but I assume Playstation VR will need to include the following: goggles, supplementary pre-processing box, PS Camera, and PS Wand. Someone tell me I'm wrong? I'm assuming the camera and wand are needed, right? They have talked or hinted at about a supplementary processing unit if I'm not mistaken, at the very least industry people seem to be whispering about that.

I won't even break down the costs because we don't know what it needs or must be packed on. We cans assume that Sony might consider some people have PS Camera and wand, so they might have a pack that doesn't include those things for less. I will say this, "if" it just needs googles, camera, and wand I can see it being $450+. If it needs it own box to do some magic, then I easily see the package price as $550 ($500 without camera and wand). Again these are all wild-ass guesses. Don't get mad if I seem to be saying a price above or below what you think.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

$400 is the most is pay out the gate.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

I don't have a PS4, so if they had a complete package with the console, VR gear and a must have software experience (though I don't know what that would be at this point), I might go for around $800.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

While, I'd like to pay less I would pay $550 without whining about it. Its not the most I could afford; but I just wouldn't buy it, at this time, if it is above $550.

After listing to a few podcast (PS I love you XoXo, PlayerOne, etc) answering PS fans questions, I am a little shocked at what some people are expecting the PS VR price to be $250 to $300. That is just an insanely low price, given that Sony said "cost of a console" which is still $400 to $500 range last time I looked. Given Oculus is the first to really have to drop the flag on what it is costing them and what they need to break-even, I think $500 is a firm possibility.

Sony isn't talking but I assume Playstation VR will need to include the following: goggles, supplementary pre-processing box, PS Camera, and PS Wand. Someone tell me I'm wrong? I'm assuming the camera and wand are needed, right? They have talked or hinted at about a supplementary processing unit if I'm not mistaken, at the very least industry people seem to be whispering about that.

I won't even break down the costs because we don't know what it needs or must be packed on. We cans assume that Sony might consider some people have PS Camera and wand, so they might have a pack that doesn't include those things for less. I will say this, "if" it just needs googles, camera, and wand I can see it being $450+. If it needs it own box to do some magic, then I easily see the package price as $550 ($500 without camera and wand). Again these are all wild-ass guesses. Don't get mad if I seem to be saying a price above or below what you think.

Although the prices can seem low (especially vs Rift retail), remember that Oculus have sold a 1080p OLED-panelled, IR camera + VR headset for $350 already. They sold them primarily to developers and that phone screen could only be consistently clocked to 90Hz (while PS VR is 120Hz) but they did have to buy in those screens from Samsung while Sony make their own so should have an easier time getting that refresh rate.

So the real question to me is how much of the non-headset stuff is Sony putting in a box (and how cheaply did they get those Move controllers before the end of their product life? Are those sorts of things going to be easy for Sony to add without ballooning cost) and did they end up having to push more cost into the headset outside of the screen (I know some of the Rift price increase was moving to better optics than the DK2) to hit quality bars.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i would go as high a $300 mostly cause i don't really care about VR but at 300 i might give it a try

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

As much as I paid for the PS4 back in November 2013. Sony's not going to bullshit us like Oculus/FB did with the OR pricing. I can see as low as $300 becoming the end price for the headset only package depending on market reaction to their financial report on the 29th, Sony are ready willing and also able to eat the price.

Interesting? Do you really think Oculus is bullshitting? I have not heard many people saying that, I actually believe this tech, manufacturing/distribution is costing $600. But, I respect you view that they could be inflating costs and part sourcing.

In my mind VR is cheap. Even the all inclusive 'Google Cardboard' experiences using a smartphone MUST have the equivalent of $300 worth of parts (estimated manufacturing cost of a Samsung S6 is $290.00). That is a far lesser experiences with less fidelity of movement, resolution, head tracking, and sound. I think what Oculus, Valve, and Sony are working at is 3x better in all respects, thus the total package cost is easily far more too. The point is - the bare minimum not good enough to use for more than a few minutes for fun- is above $300; and with taht I say we are looking at Sony's package being $400-$500. But again...just my opinion...I've been very wrong before. ;-)

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Maybe $200, but I don't really care about VR right now. It'll probably be cool in a few years though. When it comes to VR I'd rather be jacking myself in like Sword Art Online or the Matrix or something. Putting a mask with little TV's on them doesn't sound great, but what do I know I've never used any of it so I could be wrong.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At most €500 if it comes with two move controllers. I have the camera already unless they're releasing a new one with it that works better or something.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a PS4, so if they had a complete package with the console, VR gear and a must have software experience (though I don't know what that would be at this point), I might go for around $800.

You bring up an EXCELLENT point. What would Sony be willing to lose for selling PS4 & VR all in one box? I can see where getting a PS4 w/ VR in people hands at a very low cost would be seen as important. If the PS VR were $500, would Sony sell a package deal for $750? That is very tempting with $100 off the price, and that package could also be interesting to people like me who want a second PS4 for another room or home.

I think Sony has a team of people in a room sweating all the different possibilities, but one package must be everything in the box for sure. And, if I were to bet that all in one box will have a decent price savings.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SomeJerk

@monkeyking1969 said:
    @somejerk said:

Interesting? Do you really think Oculus is bullshitting? I have not heard many people saying that, I actually believe this tech, manufacturing/distribution is costing $600. But, I respect you view that they could be inflating costs and part sourcing.

When it comes to Oculus pricing to outside of the US they are definitely bullshitting. for one example Australian customers have to pay an insane amount of shipping (as detailed in customer support exchanges) but those devices get shipped out from Australia..? For $140 AUS you can ship a cow across the length of the continent. Then there are seriously sketchy things about European pricing even if we take the import tax addition for granted, but they're still selling these babies at a loss even at $599 US continental?

For the last two console generations Nintendo hardware has gone beyond the 1:1 / 1:10 conversions to various European currencies while Microsoft and Sony have had their heads on their shoulders about it. Even in times of wobbly currency balances they've stuck to it, it's just that stores ignore the RRP on peripherals and games, the PS4 camera was meant to be a tenner cheaper in Europe since we got it without the separate stand, but instead the stores want more than the cost of an already overpriced beyond all reason and taxation in Sweden game.

And then there's the election of 2014 ruining the country so badly the dollar went from 7.X to 9.High in under six months of the dumbest governnent-level drama. I'm ready and willing to pay 4000 SEK, the price the PS4 was converted to. Sony would be doing a Sony to ask for more.

(Tthere are those cool plastic + glass sets for various phones now, adjustable lenses and respectable quality upwards of $40 $50 and I should get one to replace my Google Cardboard. My old mother loves the rollercoaster stuff and VR videos. Would have GearVR if I had a compliant phone because wireless VR is needed to advance the tech step away from standing/sitting,)

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be REALLY happy if they meet the $600 mark. I still have this feeling that PS VR will come with an external box, since I'm sceptical that a PS4 can output 1080p at 120Hz and do all the heavy lifting for head-tracking and so on at the same time.

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wallee321

@shivoa: I feel like the PS VR could be released over a $50 to $100 spread depending on what you need. The headset and the black box would need to be in every bundle. My understanding of the black box is that just splits the source signal and syncs stuff so the latency isn't so bad. I don't think it adds any CPU or GPU power to the PS4.

I already have the camera. I'm not sure how Sony will handle the Move controller. Part of me feels like they might try announcing a new version of the Move controller, so they can include them in the bundle. I don't know how many Move controller are out in the wild or Sony has sitting around in warehouses.

I'd be thrilled with a $300 - $350 price, but since they said console like price that reads like $400 - $450 range to me. I can't imagine Sony already forgot what happened when they launch PS3 at that absurd price and compared to how much momentum the PS4 got and has kept since launching at $400.

I think the Vibe will most likely be more expensive than the OR, it has always billed itself as a top end device and it has additional hardware for all the walk and stand VR stuff. I don't know if Sony would do it, but I think it would be cool if they announced PC support or making the drivers and software available for others to mess around with. It will probably be hacked anyways, but depending if it came in some official form they might be able to eat Vibe and OR lunch on the lower end.

I'm hesitant about committing to any of the headsets. I feel like its best to wait and see, and wisest to hold off for the second or third versions of any of them. Reading about eye tracking and how it can lessen the load on the hardware, by only having to render what your eye can see direct in its immediate vision at the highest quality level seems like it could help a lot. Maybe lower hardware specs some and improve immersion. I don't know if any of these first gen VR headsets have eye tracking built in or if it's something they could add on. Probably, would only be in future versions.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ratamero said:

I'll be REALLY happy if they meet the $600 mark. I still have this feeling that PS VR will come with an external box, since I'm sceptical that a PS4 can output 1080p at 120Hz and do all the heavy lifting for head-tracking and so on at the same time.

The external box is confirmed but it doesn't provide a performance boost. It handles wrapping and unwrapping of the view, splits to TV and headgear, and positional audio.

Suddenly I'd be happy if they met the $500 mark..

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rethla

If the product is good i will pay for it. $600 dollars aint out of reach for me but if its gonna be a unsupported janky product like the Kinect i wont even take it for free. Right now im not interested in any of the VR offerings but they still got time to lure me in. Lets see how it plans out after the first obligatory hype months where all the press is gonna compete in telling us its the best thing ever. Playing a pet the cat game or something like that.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ratamero said:

Well....
    Well, its pixel display is supposed to be 960x1080 px resolution per eye. But they are going to cheat, right? We are all agreed that will cheat in games to keep up frame-rate, I should hope. The words rock solid frame-rate will never pass their lips, nor will 1080p except when correctly saying the PS VR "can" do that, not this game does that - ever.

Just us as we see current-gen games coming in a "900p" that likely will be how PS VR games will be displayed. They will shave off outputted resolution to gain speed. People should be very clear about how this will work, the screens on these headsets will have a spec and that is all very nice and tidy. However, the video output being run to those screen could very well be less. So I'm telling you now when the typical "performance analysis wonks" look at the video feeds they WILL BE lower. Oh, and believe me the shit storm that will occur will be epic, so get your mind focused on this now.

No Caption Provided

Not trying to be a Debby downer, just preparing people for what we all know will happen....so keep that under your cap for later use.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't pay more than the price of the console I bought it on, unless it's really damn good.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm not sure how to answer this. I need to wait to see what games will be available and the critical response to them before considering getting one of these for myself. I have zero plans on being an early adopter. This year I'm sure I'll continue to be curious about VR and patiently wait to see where things land before I start saving my money. If the Nintendo NX comes out this year, my money will more then likely go towards that over any VR device.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I simply don't believe that the PS4 can provide a good VR experience without additional horsepower. It can barely run games at 1080/30 most of the time, and even a high-end gaming PC (Skylake i7 with a 980TI, not some insane quad SLI rig) would have trouble hitting a rock-solid 1080/120 in the newest games. The PS4 might be fine for silly tech demos and graphically simple games, but I don't think it will be very future proof. Buying an expensive headset that is tied to a weak platform doesn't seem like a good idea.

That's my long-winded way of saying I'd pay nothing until Sony can prove PSVR is viable outside of highly controlled demos. If by some miracle they can pull that off, then I'm interested at $399 or lower. Anything more than that and I'd rather have an Oculus, but probably won't buy either.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron said:

I simply don't believe that the PS4 can provide a good VR experience without additional horsepower. It can barely run games at 1080/30 most of the time, and even a high-end gaming PC (Skylake i7 with a 980TI, not some insane quad SLI rig) would have trouble hitting a rock-solid 1080/120 in the newest games. The PS4 might be fine for silly tech demos and graphically simple games, but I don't think it will be very future proof. Buying an expensive headset that is tied to a weak platform doesn't seem like a good idea.

That's my long-winded way of saying I'd pay nothing until Sony can prove PSVR is viable outside of highly controlled demos. If by some miracle they can pull that off, then I'm interested at $399 or lower. Anything more than that and I'd rather have an Oculus, but probably won't buy either.

With a very thoughtful selection of game experiences, VR could wow people without much horsepower....maybe. I really think a lot of VR experiences will settle into much slower paced, far less moving objects, far slower movement speed experience....and we will all like it that way. My guess is fast paced games with a lot of movement will even make hardcore gamers sick as dogs, so the very best and hioghley regarded games will NOT be what we think.

I think within two years the types of VR games we actually play will not be the ones we imagine in our heads now. What most gamers will want in VR will be far more about walking, talking, investigating, and experiencing; instead of running, shooting, ducking and rolling. And, we won't even think about them as being slow, thinky games because a person's actul ablity to handle being whipped around in a 3D experines will be very low. It like a skateboard going 20 mph looks, feels, and thrills far more than a run-away bus going 100 mph.

It is not that a good computer and a fast sensing headset will be bad or wasted...it just that a lot of VR stuff that will be interesting -not merely a joyride- will happen without the crazy specs being absolutely necessary.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really care about VR but the absolute maximum I'd be willing to pay for an accesory to a console is €120 and I know that's not happening with Playstation VR anytime soon.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
    Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk: i will soooo save that post for E3 when they will announce it to be 500 bucks

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: You might be right about the kinds of games that will work in VR. I think a lot of people are going to be really disappointed if you are right, but everything I've heard about motion sickness makes me think you are (at least with the current technology). I'm just not convinced the PS4 can even run slow simple 3D games at 120fps (or even 90fps) without dropping the resolution way below native for the PSVR. It sounds like hitches or stutters are really going to mess with your head, so they need a stable framerate as well. Based on what we've seen so far this console generation, I don't trust developers to hit stable framerates or even to prioritize framerate over visual quality.

I could be wrong, but I'm not going to convinced until these things are at retail and work in someone's house. If the developers of that Steel Battalion game could construct an ideal preview where Kinect actually worked, I'm going to continue taking all VR press previews with a gigantic mound of salt.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

How exactly is Oculus bsing anyone?

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

$450.00 USD

The idea that you are paying more for a headset than the actual console is weird, but I would live. Anymore than $450, then I'll probably say "Well, if I'm spending this much for maybe an inferior headset, maybe I should wait and dump more money to get a superior headset and a fancier computer."

That might not be exactly the case, but at the moment I highly doubt I would invest $500 or $600 for an add-on for a PS4, which I don't use super often.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

There is no upper limit to what I would pay provided I could afford it at the time. The only question is whether or not there is content there that I feel I need to experience.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About 10$

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really have the money to invest anything into any form of VR right now. However, if that wasn't an issue I'd say I'd pay a max of $300. Anything above that for a gaming/entertainment device is to much for me.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By boboblaw

I'd probably go as far as £200. That's mostly to do with the fact I haven't experienced VR yet so I have almost no hype for it and that there is a complete lack of interesting games solely for VR.

It doesn't help that there are insane requirements/suggestions for VR at least according to 90% of the tech demos in which you need a whole empty room, 2 special controllers and maybe even a camera as well.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've committed to the 599 price for the Rift. The acceptance I have for that price comes with the investment I've made in my Pc for the past few years, as well as the open ended nature that comes with the platform. Now with the Ps4, I would pay up to about 450 taking in account it's a closed platform with less wiggle room for experimental/ weird free stuff on the Pc.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By duke_of_the_bump

I wish I could afford to pay any amount of money for any type of VR :( I spent most of my toy budget for the year on a decent-ish gaming PC, and my video card isn't even good enough for an Oculus. No consoles or VR for me.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is what Sony showed off, and from what I see on that table we ARE talking about a PS4 + Goggles + 'Splitter Box' + PS Camera + (2) Wands and a Dual Shock. And, that mystery box seems to have a serous bundle of wires coming out of it. It even seems to have its own power brick, which says to me it has something serious inside.

Here is a description from an interview/demo of some of the wires and the box:
    ....I asked Sony if the headset being shown would be different from the one released next year. I was told that there will be some minor refinements, but it is largely complete. The cables going to the PSVR headset are likely going to change, though.

As it stands, the way the headset hooks up to the console is quite interesting. Sony has designed a small breakout box that splits the signal to two displays. I was told that the console does the heavy work of warping the image to work properly on the HMD. The warped signal is delivered to the breakout box through one HDMI cable. The received signal is then fed to the PSVR HMD, and then a second signal is unwarped and delivered to the TV. Sony said that this can either mirror the image shown on the display, or it can deliver an entirely different scene to both displays.

No Caption Provided

So, this tells us a good bit that "I" didn't realize.
    - First, showing off VR games is possible either in two un-warped images or as one just 2D image. (Tell me if I'm reading that wrong?)
    - Second, we know that mystery box is just a splitter, so it is not adding to cost with another GPU or CPUs to calculate any of it....that means the most expense come from Headset and the PS4.
    - Third, COULD they be saying a VR game could have a VR view and a view that is 2D for a couch coop player too? "...Sony said that this can either mirror the image shown on the display, or it can deliver an entirely different scene to both displays.". That is a big deal if true, if only in a few selected games.
    - Fourth, The mess of wires we are seeing might be simplified at least a little. The headset is wired so that won't change at least on PS4, probably latency woudl make that unpleasant anyway.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@monkeyking1969: Ye, you're reading that the same way I've been speculating about the box as a splitter (5 cables is my expectation right now: HDMI from PS4 for that warped render; USB feed through to PS4 unless you put some bluetooth in the splitter; because USB in from headset to give you the accelerometer data you 100% need for mm accurate tracking that is essential for VR to actually work; plus HDMI to the headset to get that signal our; and finally HDMI with the de-warped display to your monitor - I see 2 cables for the headset in the front of that picture, 4 cables in the back including power for the splitter). Maybe you route the camera through the external box and do the processing there rather than on the PS4 and feed to processed mm-accurate head-tracking data straight back via bluetooth (so it's not a USB cable to the PS4 feeding back the head-tracking data) but I'm not convinced.

So that is a whole mess of different cables, plus a really basic chip (has to be low lag but we're talking phone/tablet SoC is more than powerful enough to run a de-warp shader, which is the only real processing the splitter box does - I doubt they're going to get a special chip because you can pay $3 and get a SoC that can do it with the GPU side and a generic shader just fine) in the splitter box. But anyone who is thinking there's a $100 GPU in there to give it something to compete with PC VR is really pushing it - I don't think the splitter adds more than $10 onto the sticker price.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I can watch 3D and 2D Blu-rays on it from day one (and they actually look decent), I'd happily pay up to 600 euros for it.

chatmonchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

Needs a lower option.

I'd give $20.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.