Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

Playstation VR to cost $399, release in October.

• 59 results
    Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Smart move by Sony (apart from not bundling the camera?). They have the install base and compared to the price of Vive and Oculus Joe public is going to probably go with this and have a fine experience with it. Me personally, i'm going to hold off a year or two and see how this all shakes out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Already have the camera so between now and October I'll get move set too. £349.99 is OK by me.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

I keep going back and forth on VR and the PS4 as well. I have a PC, Xbox One, and a Wii U. There are games to play up the WAZZU! It's the whole "shinny new toy" syndrome honestly that keeps me wanting one.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By Shivoa

At this point I'm pretty interested to see how hard they'll be pushing this. For me, that's a ~$500 bundle (thinking £399 in the UK) with PS VR, the Camera, and two Glowing Balls. Everything you need to take a bare PS4 and make it work with all PSVR games.

I'm also interested to see their policy for demos because Oculus seem to be pretty strong on demos being how you manage both quality control and getting quick impulse purchases out of VR. Some games can make some players feel sick, some just won't work for you. Rather than dealing with dodgy PSN refund policies and returning discs then demos make a lot of sense. We've just not seen that many demos in recent years on consoles.

The trailers so far... I hope PS VR really works. That aliasing on sub-1080p renders in some stuff makes me slightly concerned for the quality that the PS4's GPU can offer (while hitting the low latency rather than maximised throughout targets needed for making VR work - there's a lot going on under the hood moving from our current game engine where 50-250ms of input lag was totally fine to making something for VR). The loss of dynamic time of day from DriveClub VR. It's all something I hope is not just pushing the PS4 a bit too far to get to the bar for presence required by any game that's not using a highly abstract rendering style. Rez means I think I do have to own PS VR, but I can't really see it as anything other than a stepping stone on the way to some truly incredibly experiences on a PS5 or PC which have the grunt to let you actually feel like you can fly through a city.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess buying that camera last year for...whatever reason it was, paid off. Though I'd still need those Movesticks...and a 400€ to spare, but at least that's less than others and upgrading my PC beefy enough would probably add at least 200€ to the price.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Priced too high for casual but offers too little for enthusiasts.

Main worry however is the games. Right now the Wii vibe is unpleasantly strong.

kmfrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm happy enough. I don't own a desktop PC full stop, never mind one beefy enough to run either of the other options, so for me this is a no-brainer (although it's debatable whether I am in fact brain-less to be so on-board with VR without ever having tried it).

Anyway, unless early impressions of it are hugely unfavourable then I will be buying a PlaystationVR come October.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty: You mean like the last time there was a supply shortage of the PS4 camera because it sold better than Sony expected?

@nevergameover - It might be worth putting a link to this article in which Yoshida himself was interviewed and said that there will be an "all in one" bundle and that the reason they're releasing the headset as a standalone $399 unit is because they felt enough people own a camera that they didn't want to piss those people off by making them buy another.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Sony seems to be pulling a fast one on this so far. They are only offering the bigger package for $499, which they didn't discuss when announcing, and there's no ability to just get the core version they announced for $100 less.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Yeah there is, you can get it from retailers like Amazon, Game and Gamestop.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By whitegreyblack

@artisanbreads: They kinda screwed up the messaging on this one - although, I would imagine Sony wanted to get out there with a $399/$549 price tag that would set all the blogs alight, and then come in the back-door with the $499/CAD$699 "actual"-bundle.

What irks me is that exchange rates place the Canadian equivalent of USD$399 at CAD~$518, and USD$499 at CAD~$648. Now Sony's just f-ing with us canuckleheads.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@artisanbreads: They kinda screwed up the messaging on this one - although, I would imagine Sony wanted to get out there with a $399/$549 price tag that would set all the blogs alight, and then come in the back-door with the $499/CAD$699 "actual"-bundle.

What irks me is that exchange rates place the Canadian equivalent of USD$399 at CAD~$518, and USD$499 at CAD~$648. Now Sony's just f-ing with us canuckleheads.

That's how I was taking it, yes.

And man that's tough with the pricing there.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

Guys, they're only doing pre-orders right now for the move+camera+game bundle. You will still be able to buy the $399 headset-only package at launch. They'll likely do pre-orders for that later.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.