Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

motion sickness from VR

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I have not played any VR.

This year people are talking about having to teleport everywhere cause controlling you body with controller but not moving is disorganizing. I was wondering of those of you who have played have you run into problems like this? I haven't heard any in mass stories about people getting sick from VR. Sure there are some percent of people who can't handle it, but I would assume most of them already know its not for them. I think using a controller in VR to move wouldn't be that bad, but I haven't tried it. I'm still waiting till sometime 2017 for buying headset.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have not played VR but I can tell you one thing. I ain't standing up for it. So I'm only playing games that support left stick movement. The teleporting thing is something I never imagined and seeing it, it seems like a terrible solution. How can teleporting be less disorientating than moving with a gamepad?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@bofooq: It's less about getting physically sick and more getting bad headaches and nausea. I tried a rift dk1 and it gave me a banging headache.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By BrittonPeele

The very first time I tried VR was in a hotel room with John Carmack and some other members of the press. It was around the time of the Oculus Kickstarter, so the headset I was using was Carmack's thrown together headset featuring a Oakley headband and duct tape (I think there's a video on here of Brad using the same one).

Carmack made me stand up to play the VR demo of Doom 3. I didn't want to stand for several reasons, one being a fear of motion sickness, another being the fear of toppling over and embarrassing myself in front of the dude who co-created Doom.

But it went fine. Even though that version of the tech was incredibly early, I didn't get sick, I didn't get a headache, I didn't fall over... Granted, I was using it for less than an hour, but that first test was encouraging to me. I was playing Doom 3 -- the full game, not a weird vertical slice -- with an Xbox 360 controller while standing up and looking around in VR with the headset. No issues. At worst, I would sometimes actually forget that I could look around by moving my head -- I was just so used to only adjusting my view with the analog sticks, so I wasn't accustomed to another option.

Since then I've tried more recent VR tech, spending the most time with the HTC Vive (which has required me to actually get up and move around the room while using it). I haven't had any problems whatsoever with any of the games I've played so far.

But of course, I'm not you. I'm positive that there will be some people who can't adjust as easily -- or, sadly, who can't adjust at all -- to VR. I'm not someone who's prone to getting car sick, for instance, so someone who is might have a harder time. It's hard to say for sure.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ares42

@devil240z: Getting motion sick isn't really about disorientation. Like if you're in a car or on a boat it's not like you're in a constant state of disorientation. It's all about conflicting sensory inputs. When you're teleporting from place to place your eyes don't recognize movement (as it's more like a scene change in a movie), and since you're standing still your inner ear also don't recognize it as moving, so they're in sync. The problem is when there's perpetual movement where what you're seeing and what you're doing doesn't match.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've not experienced motion sickness once using my Vive. Even using vorpx to play crazy fast DOOM, nothing. My guess is that I'm super lucky with that.

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've felt pretty bad from using the DK2 a few times. It's weird how it's not a creep-up-on-you sort of thing, but that you can feel each moment of badness hitting you.

The things that caused it were lag between moving my head and the view changing, and changes between controlling vision and static images. When it hit me, it would last several hours and was really unpleasant.

So far, I haven't had any similar issues with the vive.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: to me it's a screen on my face and not my actual view so I don't think that stuff would cause any motion sickness because it's not actual motion.

lylebot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lylebot

@devil240z: that's exactly the source of the sickness. Your eyes see movement and your body doesn't feel movement, or your body isn't in control of the movement, and (for some people) the disconnect causes nausea.

It's definitely the case for me. I get bad motion sickness whenever I'm a passenger in any moving vehicle. I wanted to try VR to see how bad it would be, so I went with the cheap Google Cardboard. I did get motion sickness, and it's a strange kind unlike any I've had before: after just a few minutes I start to feel a little bit of nausea, but it doesn't really kick in until 15-20 minutes after I've stopped using it. At that point I feel like I need to lie down for a while. Definitely tells me that VR is not for me :(

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lylebot: I need to get cardboard so I can find out how I will be effected. As a kid I would get motion sick when I was in the back seat of a car but never on a boat. But that kind of thing hasn't happened in a long time for me.

If anything,vr will probably give me migraines.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36550369 New article on cutting the field of view when you are moving your character which is supposed to help. I was so disappointed to hear Fallout 4 VR was using the bull shit teleporting. I mean fuck that. No point in buying VR for that non sense.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Now I can't speak for how the PsVr will hold up in terms of performance, but as a proud owner of a CV1 Rift I can say that teleporting/player movement hasn't ever given me nausea. In fact moving around with a gamepad hasn't induced any sickness for me. The teleporting thing isn't as jarring or intense as you'd think. You become acclimated to a sort of quick fade in - fade out mechanic pretty fast. This happens when you transition between scenes inside the headset. It works the same with teleporting. Player movement has mostly been fine for me. There's even a setting in some stuff called comfort mode (I think? I've seen it in Windlands and Technolust) that basically allows you to turn your vision from left to right by shifting your perspective abruptly in small increments (That's the best way I could describe it) Even that doesn't give me motion sickness. The tech is well fleshed out enough that you won't get a searing headache or expel your lunch just by putting on the thing for 10 minutes. As long as you aren't expected to control a character's momentum with the camera stick to move forward in a new direction like some sort of tank controlled game from the 90's.(Seriously, some of this stuff is hard for me to describe. I hope that made some sense)

At this point it all comes down to software. There's been a few times I got a little sick from poorly optimized/executed stuff, (Like low rent steam games or shitty 360 videos) but for 90% of my experiances (mostly on the oculus store and some stuff on steam) I've felt perfectly fine. I think the most important thing is to understand is that everyone is different. Some will have a higher tolerance than others, but imo you can build up those Vr legs over time. Make sure to take breaks often if your doing something more involved than watching a tv show in your virtual living room or home theater. Take elite dangerous for instance. I can play that for an hour or two, and feel fine nausea wise, but an overall fatigue will set in that wears me down. My eyes might feel strained after a while, but if I go take a 15 or 20 minute break and come back I'm good to go. It's all about knowing your limitations.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Dark

As someone who owns the vive and have done lots with it and seen lots of people do things with it I can give you a basic idea.

Its person to person, whilst your doing roomscale movement with teleporting you are generally fine, the movement is so close to 1 to 1 that the brain doesn't have much issue with it. You can get some disorientation with teleportation but it seems the brain adapts to it pretty quickly.

Free movement (whilst standing) is person to person, whilst sitting its the same. I don't get motion sick but the first time I played Spellfighter VR it hit me pretty hard, the instant I went to move I nearly fell over my body got so confused with what was happening, got very sick not long after lasting for 4 hours. However after doing it again and again in short bursts, it doesn't effect me at all anymore, I don't lose balance nor do I get even slightly sick with free movement.

If you get motion sickness, you're SoL, VR sickness is wierd and hits for a long time when it does hit. However if you don't get it then its still no guarantee, although it seems you can train yourself out of it if you can deal with feeling sick the first few times.

Sadly with VR you can never really tell how each person will react until they try, the only real guarantee I can give is if you already suffer from motion sickness then nothing will change here (without roomscale/teleporting mechanics)

p.s. Frame stuttering, freezing and wierd movement (eg, car flipping upside down) can really hurt your brain, it just doesn't know what to do with the information and shocks you quite a bit.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I have a Gear VR and while playing Minecraft VR I don't experience motion sickness (moving around using a controller) and I prefer to stand so I can get a 360 degree movement (no swivel chair). However I also got a flight game that I sit down for (since I am in a cockpit) and when I do stuff like roll and turn I can feel it.

However, I played Eve Valkyrie today on the PS VR and I didn't notice anything big. I did bobble once.

I think being so early we need to find out what works and what doesn't. I don't think FPS games as we know it will make the transistion, but I can see flight games making a come back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.